Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for games with very little gameplay, and is mostly decisions / story. A good example of this is The Walking Dead! It needs to be compelling, and immersive. Do you guys know of any great games like that?

King of Dragon Pass is pretty much a gamebook crossed with a management sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for games with very little gameplay, and is mostly decisions / story. A good example of this is The Walking Dead! It needs to be compelling, and immersive. Do you guys know of any great games like that?

If you can handle light platforming, try The Void. Very unique.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

If you can handle light platforming, try The Void. Very unique.

Um, if you're talking about the one from Icepick Lodge, that one has a good bit of gameplay and is quite unforgiving of your mistakes. It's still incredibly fascinating in any case.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Could anyone tell me what shadowrun returns is like? Debating picking it up right now.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Could anyone tell me what shadowrun returns is like? Debating picking it up right now.
It's very linear, for one. Don't go expecting open-world exploration. There are a few sidequests you can do in addition to the main plotline, but that's it for branching. Combat is the tactical turn-based kind, not particularly interesting, but entertaining enough and does its job.

Where the game really shines is the writing. The devs haven't bothered with voice acting, so there's room for plenty of dialogue. I very much enjoyed the characterization, dialogue and narrative writing. The story starts as a kinda sorta film noir-ish detective story and goes... somewhere else from there. It's really good. I never once felt like I was being force-fed walls of text or anything, even all the background flavour fluff with various NPCs was enjoyable to read.
There are plenty of different dialogue response options, but they're mostly just there for the sake of flavour and letting your character have some personality (so you know, roleplaying). I don't think they have much actual effect in how the story develops.

That said, the above applies to the "main" campaign that comes with the game, called "The Dead Man's Switch". There's at least one DLC out by now as far as I know, and I'd expect there to be a bunch of fan-made content available too.

So if you want to play through a linear but very well written sci-fi/fantasy story, by all means pick the game up.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 25, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I need a turn-based or slow game that can run on a laptop with an i5 processor and HD3000 integrated graphics (or something that it can emulate). I'm already loading it with Football Manager.

Alternatively, I'd love something that is entirely keyboard controlled because I hate playing games on a trackpad or trackpoint.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
RE: The Void, yeah, I gotta negative-recommend it. It is the epitome of an Eastern European game, with all of the experimentation in non-traditional gameplay, rollercoaster difficulty curve, and ambiguous dialogue that category implies, all maxed out as far as they can go. It is an incredibly good game by its own merits, but not something you can just offhandedly pick up or give to someone, and especially not when that person is looking for more in the visual novel department. It's a game that can't even be said to be for someone who enjoys a certain genre, but for a gamer in a specific frame of mind of wanting to go beyond the traditional, and having the willingness to give it the time and emotional investment it demands.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

I need a turn-based or slow game that can run on a laptop with an i5 processor and HD3000 integrated graphics (or something that it can emulate). I'm already loading it with Football Manager.

Alternatively, I'd love something that is entirely keyboard controlled because I hate playing games on a trackpad or trackpoint.

Crusader Kings 2. It requires a mouse/trackpad but doesn't need any fast reflexes as it's a strategy game.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Chas McGill posted:

My go-to for lovely netbooks is roguelikes and other ASCII-type games. Try the thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

They have minimal graphics and are keyboard-controlled. Try Liberal Crime Squad, in which you lead a ragtag band of misfits to fight against the conservative establishment and enforce your ultra-liberal policies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm interested in games where you start out with nothing or very little and gradually become powerful, wealthy, or influential. It's the power curve I'm interested in: games that have done a good job of reflecting this progression range from Quest for Glory(espicially IV), Saints Row 2, The Sims, and the Baldur's Gate series.

If you can get past the steep learning curve, X3: Albion Prelude is this exactly. You can start out as some nobody in a fighter and end up commanding an empire with major space stations and capital ships, swatting little fighters like the one you started in like flies. The thread for it is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552115

X Rebirth is more recent, but don't get it. The general consensus on it is "obvious beta". Give it six months and it might be worth checking out, but until then AP is better.

Sergeant Baboon
Jan 2, 2013

What's the best tennis game for PS3?

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
I like to play on my laptop on the coffee table. What are some good games that function well using the mouse only?

Love the Civs and X-com. Jagged Alliance is okay.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tropico 4 and most other city builders should be fine with just a mouse.

Have you considered a gamepad? If you want faster paced stuff that's probably the route to go.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I'm in the mood for an RPG where you can increase your power pretty much infinitely (and have more powerful monsters to seek out as well). The more complex the better. I'm currently playing ToME, which is fine, but anything else worth checking out? Doesn't have to be a new game.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I really love King of Dragon Pass, but I know there are no other games like it. And I enjoyed Fallen London until it became a tedious grind. What good choose your own adventure games are out there? I already own the Ace Attorney series and the 999 games for 3DS.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I really love King of Dragon Pass, but I know there are no other games like it. And I enjoyed Fallen London until it became a tedious grind. What good choose your own adventure games are out there? I already own the Ace Attorney series and the 999 games for 3DS.

Have you played any of the recent Telltalle stuff? Particularly The Walking Dead is just masterful. (No knowledge of the TV Show or Comics required.)

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

prometheusbound2 posted:

I really love King of Dragon Pass, but I know there are no other games like it.

I found FTL to be like King of Dragon Pass. Also, Magical Diary and Long Live The Queen are somewhat in that category, although they are not randomized.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Any recommendations for a good timesink of a game? Looking for something singleplayer. I'm not into strategy games like Civ too much, I'd rather look for a good RPG. I also really like more "roguelike"-likes, like Binding of Isaac and Risk of Rain.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Repelex posted:

Any recommendations for a good timesink of a game? Looking for something singleplayer. I'm not into strategy games like Civ too much, I'd rather look for a good RPG. I also really like more "roguelike"-likes, like Binding of Isaac and Risk of Rain.

Tales of Maj'Eyal was released on Steam recently and there is a free version on the developer's site. It's a roguelike RPG where you pick a race and class, each with their own bonuses, and travel the land doing quest and collecting loot. The game is addictingly fun, huge, and fairly difficult.

As you progress through the game you will unlock new races and classes to try after you die. While it is very much a singleplayer game, it can connect to their chat system. I actually found this to be my favorite feature because not only are people talking, but every time someone accomplishes something in game or dies you see what they did. It makes the game feel more alive.

To give you an idea of how big the game is there are 1208 achievements and I have yet to see one that is for doing something trivial.

There is a thread about it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457973

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Kinda of an oddball question, but I've been playing Bioshock because I love the concept, but just cannot for the life of me get into the gameplay. Is there a good Let's Play anyone can recommend for Bioshock 1+2? Preferably one with either minimal commentary or hilarious commentary.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Repelex posted:

*cough* I hear Dungeonmans is in great shape and would be right up your alley, for the low low price of just download it and play http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=290 *cough* There's a thread about it here too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Have there been any vehicular combat games made recently? Along the lines of Twisted Metal or Battletanx. PS3/Vita/PC. I saw there's this on Steam so I have the demo for that downloading.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Geektox posted:

Kinda of an oddball question, but I've been playing Bioshock because I love the concept, but just cannot for the life of me get into the gameplay. Is there a good Let's Play anyone can recommend for Bioshock 1+2? Preferably one with either minimal commentary or hilarious commentary.

Bit of an oddball response but are you playing on easy? I completed 1 and 2 on this setting as I too loved the setting but am proper poo poo at games. It meant I could play around with the powers a lot more and not worry about resource management. This might sail way past the mark but they are great games and I'd hate for you to miss out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So I bought myself a 3DS using money from Christmas and I'm looking for some must have games for the system.

Currently I own:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Project X Zone
Etrian Odyssey IV
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies

Keep in mind I never owned a DS so any standouts from that library should be considered too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

So I bought myself a 3DS using money from Christmas and I'm looking for some must have games for the system.

Currently I own:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Project X Zone
Etrian Odyssey IV
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Ace Attorney 5: Dual Destinies

Keep in mind I never owned a DS so any standouts from that library should be considered too.

You might be into SMT4 as well based on the kind of games you've bought. Super Mario 3D Land is pretty great. Other than that I'd beat what you have before buying more stuff, you should be busy for a while.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's a low-spec multiplayer game for PC I can get into that doesn't rely on either twitch or APM, and lets you get creative with counter-strategies?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

What's a low-spec multiplayer game for PC I can get into that doesn't rely on either twitch or APM, and lets you get creative with counter-strategies?

There are a lot of CCG's that have or are coming out, but Scrolls and Hearthstone are my favorites.

Scrolls has a base cost and then some IAP purchases that can be made but honestly won't help that much. You play your cards on a battlefield with 5 lanes and try to defeat three of your opponent's idols at the end of the lanes. You will have a lot of choices to make each turn such as whether to gain resources or draw a card and moving your units around the battlefield. Of all the CCG's I've tried this is definitely the deepest and most tactical I've played.

Hearthstone is almost the opposite of Scrolls. You won't be able to make meaningful progress quickly without paying. The in-game currency is throttled by daily quest. It is very simple and very rarely is there more than a couple of real choices to make each turn. While I'm sure some would disagree with me, I also believe luck is a very large factor of the game. Despite all that, the game is very fun and has that Blizzard polish. It also benefits from having a large user base that will only grow once it hits open beta in January I think.

I actually have a code for the base game of Scrolls if you're interested in trying it out. Let me know.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Athas posted:

I'm in the mood for an RPG where you can increase your power pretty much infinitely (and have more powerful monsters to seek out as well). The more complex the better. I'm currently playing ToME, which is fine, but anything else worth checking out? Doesn't have to be a new game.

If SRPG and ridiculous anime parody aren't dealbreakers for you, it sounds like you're looking for a Disgaea game. You can level up as much as you drat well please, find horrible enemies that will eat your face off inside your items, and end up dealing obscene amounts of damage. I enjoyed both Disgaea DS and Disgaea 3, though 3 was more difficult and had more features.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ibblified posted:

Are there any business/economic/life simulator on the PC? It can be micro or macro level, from focusing on one business to a whole city. I am thinking things like Tropico 4 and Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon (loved them, pretty much the epitome of fun), Sid Meier's Railroad (pretty good), Recettear (played it too much). On the flipside, I didn't enjoy things like Port Royale (didn't really get into it for some reason), The Guild 2 (good idea, but the clunky interface killed my enjoyment) and Game Dev Tycoon (I liked the idea, but hated its execution).

I think I will prefer games with a UI that is actually player-friendly and a decent tutorial so I know what is going on. I am trying Football Manager now, but the complexity and obscure stats isn't making it much fun.

The Guild 1/Europa 1400 is imo way better in the 'cool stuff to do' departament, but also clunkier and uglier, so take that as you will. Capitalism 2 recently got some sort of update called Capitalism Lab, it's probably the most in-depth economy/business simulator there is. Cities in motion 2 is a pretty good public transport builder sim. Crusader Kings 2 is more of a wargame, but is very character-oriented and more focused on personal power gain and dynasty management. For me, it scratches the same itch that the Guild games do. A lot of people recommend the Anno series, but personally I found it boring and too simplistic. If you're into complex production chains and sim aspects, you might want to skip it, but if you're looking for something more laid-back and relaxing, you might like it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bouchacha posted:

The turnbased strategy Dominions 4 might be your fit. System requirements are essentially 'have an operating system and a gig of ram' and multiplayer is done using a play-by-email system - once everyone submits their orders into a server, it rolls out the results to everyone and awaits the next set of orders, so matches can be completed either over a day or a few months depending on the pace the players decide.

I'll let this quote from the thread OP explain the creativity of strategies in the game:

TheDemon posted:

The breadth and depth of play in Dominions is insane. There are over 50 nations with a roster of Pretender gods to pick from. You customize your pretender by buying advantages and disadvantages. Once play begins there are 1000 unit types, 600 spells to research, and 700 magical sites to uncover. You can choose between 300 pieces of equipment to gear out heroes who can take down armies single-handedly. Eventually, you can cast game-altering global enchantments that cook the world, heal lost limbs, or blot out the sun.

That's breadth. Dominions has depth. You can sneak or teleport into lightly defended territories, burn the temple, destroy their roads, funnel their taxes to your own forts, and disappear. You can set up a self-fueling Wish chain where you wish for more wishes. You can wipe out your enemies not with armies but with faith, fueled by sacrificing hundreds of virgin maidens upon your altars. You can crack open the gates to Tartarus and summon dozens of insane dead pretenders to serve in conquering the world. You can order a sudden teleport attack on all your rivals' capitals simultaneously, cleaving the gates in one turn with teleported siege equipment and blitzing the garrison before they can react. These are all actual, game-winning endgame strategies.

It is currently $26 on GamersGate. It most likely will not be on sale on Steam since they did a sale for the obsolete prequel instead, but you can still activate it through Steam.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 29, 2013

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

A lot of people recommend the Anno series, but personally I found it boring and too simplistic. If you're into complex production chains and sim aspects, you might want to skip it, but if you're looking for something more laid-back and relaxing, you might like it.

uh what? are you sure you're not in opposite world? Anno is without a doubt the deepest of all of those games you've mentioned, it's so deep it borders on inaccessible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You might be into SMT4 as well based on the kind of games you've bought. Super Mario 3D Land is pretty great. Other than that I'd beat what you have before buying more stuff, you should be busy for a while.

SMT's on the to buy list as well as Bravely Default when that comes out. I'll probably pick up Mario when the local stores get it back in stock.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

SheepNameKiller posted:

uh what? are you sure you're not in opposite world? Anno is without a doubt the deepest of all of those games you've mentioned, it's so deep it borders on inaccessible.

I admit I only played the most recent one, because I heard it's the best and has the most stuff to do. I dunno, at first it looked pretty good, plenty of goods and buildings and all that. I played the main campaign for a few days and at some point realised I'm just staring at pretty landscapes, plopping a building down every now and then. Maybe it's just not my kinda thing :shrug:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Malt posted:

I actually have a code for the base game of Scrolls if you're interested in trying it out. Let me know.
I really appreciate but I should've said no CCGs in my post.

MrBims posted:

It is currently $26 on GamersGate. It most likely will not be on sale on Steam since they did a sale for the obsolete prequel instead, but you can still activate it through Steam.

Oh wow, I was thinking about Dom4 but was under the impression that it was $70 or so. This is great. Am I under a hopeless handicap for joining late?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bouchacha posted:

Oh wow, I was thinking about Dom4 but was under the impression that it was $70 or so. This is great. Am I under a hopeless handicap for joining late?

Not really. The enormously deep and intertwined mechanics make for a pretty high skill ceiling, but anything that one person does you can just try copying it later. And with only one winner in matches that can hold dozens of players, your enjoyment shouldn't be based on whether or not you win but by how much you made someone else's game a living hell.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Does Dominions 4 have any sort of worthwhile single player option? I have no interest in playing games like this as multiplayer, but drat if it doesn't look like a sweet-rear end strategy game.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Nordick posted:

Does Dominions 4 have any sort of worthwhile single player option? I have no interest in playing games like this as multiplayer, but drat if it doesn't look like a sweet-rear end strategy game.

The strategy is fine for me as a Dominions noob, but I can already tell that the computer can't hope to handle its complex magic system. I have a feeling any moderately skilled player would be disappointed.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Rashomon posted:

I found FTL to be like King of Dragon Pass. Also, Magical Diary and Long Live The Queen are somewhat in that category, although they are not randomized.

Long Live The Queen is semi-randomized. There are some milestone 'things' that will tend to happen each game if you follow similar routes, but there are a number of random events. The randomization isn't easily noticed, I think, because holy fuckshit you die so much that you're starting new games so often you see them all repeatedly.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Are there any online CCG/TCGs that let you progress by playing against the AI? Hearthstone requires PvP to get gold and it looks like HoMM does too. I have Scrolls but it's not quite my cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm sort of in the mood for a freeform game, but something along the lines of shadowrun (The genesis version) or Wing Commander : Privateer or Freelancer. Something where I can be a mercenary-type character, where I'm given my choice of a bunch of missions to do.

Something where I am given a main plot and storyline but I can go off the beaten path if I want. With non-story missions available for cash and goodies. Skyrim, Sega Genesis Shadowrun, Freelancer, Privateer are all examples of what I want but I'd thinking something sorta high tech. Not necessarily in space (Genesis Shadowrun is one of my all-time favorite games) but at least set in the future. Or the present. Stalker's a good one but I've played it to death and there aren't any real 'missions' like what I want.

I used to play X3 etc. games and they were fun but a little overly complex; the idea of owning a fleet and space stations and poo poo was pretty drat cool, but in practice it felt ridiculously cumbersome to use.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 1, 2014