Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BrooklynBruiser posted:

There was never a bad episode of BSG. They ranged from "Eh, that wasn't great" to sublime.

What?!? How dare you impugn the sanctity of television by implying that The Woman King wasn't the worst most vile hour of television ever produced!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Wandle Cax posted:

What?!? How dare you impugn the sanctity of television by implying that The Woman King wasn't the worst most vile hour of television ever produced!!!!!!

The Woman King is pretty bad, and so is Black Market and the underratedly bad episode Hero, but they're really no worse than when other prestige dramas screwed up a filler sideplot episode in the middle of their runs when there wasn't a lot of urgency. Most of them have done it at one time or another.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

It was a very bad episode of BSG, but it wasn't a very bad episode of television. It's just that BSG set the bar very high.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JediTalentAgent posted:

Speaking of scifi from the 90s/early 00s, a few nights ago I got around to watching the Total Recall 2070s two-parter premiere from the late 90s and was sort of surprised how much I actually liked it. It's not 'great', but it feels like they really wanted to do something ambitious with it but feels mostly held back by the performances.

Since it was a show that I pretty much ignored for the last dozen years and had a preconceived bad impression of, I'm thinking about doing a full Hulu watch of the series.

The acting never improves. It's like Almost Human except without any humor or charisma.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

I also started watching X-Files. I'm on episode 5 and it's surprisingly not that dated except for the oversized suits. I just hope they stop filming in that same forest over and over.

It's Planet Vancouver, almost every TV show in the 90s took place on Planet Vancouver. As Stargate SG-1 showed us, there are potentially infinite copies of Planet Vancouver as the gang there traveled to one of them almost every week. Just wait until you start recognizing That One Bridge regularly.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well I think that's just a little unduly- (sees poster name) never mind.

I have to say that it's odd that it came and went with exactly zero fanfare. I forgot it came on but apparently so did everyone else since no one I know had a single thing to say about it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 25, 2013

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It was a very bad episode of BSG, but it wasn't a very bad episode of television. It's just that BSG set the bar very high.

Black Market was worse than Woman King, because at least the latter had Head Baltar.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

raditts posted:

It's Planet Vancouver, almost every TV show in the 90s took place on Planet Vancouver. As Stargate SG-1 showed us, there are potentially infinite copies of Planet Vancouver as the gang there traveled to one of them almost every week. Just wait until you start recognizing That One Bridge regularly.

I wonder where in Planet Vancouver they're filming the Island scenes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

He's right about all of it though, except the last Muppet's movie was a brief reprieve from the slow rot that has over taken them.

The sequel film looks about as pleasant as GBS 2.0.

Eh, the GaGa special was cute and it's premature to call her washed up after one less-than-stellar album reception (I really like at least one of the tracks from it.) Wasn't the best special but there's a spectrum between that and utter poo poo from a talentless hack.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If your Scifi show has weird looking aliens in it then it's not the best of anything. If those aliens talk then it's up for the award at the other end of the spectrum. I've never seen a single good Scifi television show with aliens in it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 25, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Deadpool posted:

If your Scifi show has weird looking aliens in it then it's not the best of anything. If those aliens talk then it's up for the award at the other end of the spectrum. I've never seen a single good Scifi television show with aliens in it.

Doctor Who.

e: And, presumably, Star Trek, though I've never actually watched any Star Trek shows.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 25, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Doctor Who.

e: And, presumably, Star Trek, though I've never actually watched any Star Trek shows.

And the aforementioned Stargate SG-1, although those aliens are either descended from humans or using humans as a host.

As much as I like Doctor Who, I don't know that I'd really put it on a list of shows off the top of my head that I consider "good" if that makes any sense.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Futurama should count.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Deadpool posted:

That would require knowing what you'd call a good television show as well as what sci-fi shows you've seen. Farscape has aliens done by the Jim Henson Creature Shop and is still pretty well liked. Considering the budget restraints the show had they came out pretty well. It's a pretty good litmus test for people liking scifi shows in general.

jeffersonlives posted:

The Woman King is pretty bad, and so is Black Market and the underratedly bad episode Hero, but they're really no worse than when other prestige dramas screwed up a filler sideplot episode in the middle of their runs when there wasn't a lot of urgency. Most of them have done it at one time or another.

Yeah those things were rotten eggs for sure. I can't even watch a rerun of them they were so bad. I like to think of the episodes where they find the Pegasus and blast the Resurrection ship as the end of the series. Because after that you get things like Black Market and the show gets a lot more hit or miss. It did produce eye-patch wearing, Tricia Helfer-bot banging Col. Tigh though so it's all good.

raditts posted:

And the aforementioned Stargate SG-1, although those aliens are either descended from humans or using humans as a host.

As much as I like Doctor Who, I don't know that I'd really put it on a list of shows off the top of my head that I consider "good" if that makes any sense.

Well it is a show for children so it's not going to have super high standards to begin with.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

Eh, the GaGa special was cute and it's premature to call her washed up after one less-than-stellar album reception (I really like at least one of the tracks from it.) Wasn't the best special but there's a spectrum between that and utter poo poo from a talentless hack.

ArtPop owns owns owns, gently caress the haters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PriorMarcus posted:

He's right about all of it though, except the last Muppet's movie was a brief reprieve from the slow rot that has over taken them.

The sequel film looks about as pleasant as GBS 2.0.

Muppet Christmas Carol came out after Jim Henson's death. :colbert:

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 25, 2013

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Deadpool posted:

This is almost always true, except Farscape has muppet aliens, ergo it rules.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Muppets (2011) was really, really good and felt like the first time since Henson's death that the Muppets were being led by a singular creative vision (Jason Segel + the Flight of the Conchords guys) rather than bland family entertainment coasting by on celebrity cameos and the late Jim Henson's legacy and goodwill. It's kind of like how it took 20 years for Disney to start making good animated movies again instead of making boring crap that was more concerned with the old guard's idea of "what Walt would have wanted" instead of actually being good.

The Lady Gaga holiday special felt like a regression by comparison, through no fault of the artists attached to it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mu Zeta posted:

The acting never improves. It's like Almost Human except without any humor or charisma.

I do sort of like the sort of feel of the show though. The only actors that just aren't fitting with their roles the first 3-4 episodes in are the black police chief guy and the lead actor. Neither one is really selling it in their respective roles. I'm thinking of the many TV leads and actors of the 90s and I think the lead just needed to be a bit older and more grizzled with a stronger look and I can't think of anyone who would have been a better fit**.

You're right about the show needing a bit of charisma. Not even a lot, just a very small bit. Also, it needed a bit more range with the direction and cinematography, too.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the sort of pulpy sci-fi feel of the show and the overall universe, too, and I do apprieciate their attempts at trying to a capture the style of Blade Runner as much as they were able to.

(edit: **Put Chris Meloni in the lead and putting forth some Stabler-grade presence, this show goes up a letter grade.)

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 25, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Trast posted:

Well it is a show for children so it's not going to have super high standards to begin with.

I know that's what it started out as but I wouldn't consider anything at least in the new series to be something you could reasonably consider as "a show for children."

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
BSG should get extra points for having a boxing episode that wasn't completely horrible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

smg77 posted:

BSG should get extra points for having a boxing episode that wasn't completely horrible.

Yes but The Plan, Caprica, and Blood and Chrome did a good job of making GBS threads all over BSG's legacy.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes but The Plan, Caprica, and Blood and Chrome did a good job of making GBS threads all over BSG's legacy.

Hey at least those weren't as bad as The Legend of the Rangers was for B5!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Speaking of sci-fi, I'm thinking about doing a thread about Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles like how mojo1701a watched Babylon 5 and posted his thoughts and analysis after each episode. Is that an acceptable thing for TV/IV?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
BSG was good (to start with) but certainly not the sublime televisual-tugjob that a lot of goons claim. Far from it.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

And, presumably, Star Trek, though I've never actually watched any Star Trek shows.

Star trek is barely even scifi. If you have any curiosity at all about Trek then it's the easiest thing in the world to satisfy. Watch three episodes, any three episodes regardless of series, and you will have seen everything the franchise has to offer. Because that's all Star Trek is, an endless loop of the same handful of stories.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 25, 2013

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Mu Zeta posted:

Caprica was pretty awesome, it just wasn't very BSG. If you watch it as its own thing it's much better.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Well, I haven't seen Caprica or Blood and Chrome, but I rather liked The Plan - it wasn't great, but it was fine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's because I seriously thought The Plan was going to explain so much and tie up a bunch of loose ends, but it was ridiculously disappointing. A glorified clip show where the only major reveal is the addition of a little more context to Cavil's character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sophia posted:

Caprica was pretty awesome, it just wasn't very BSG. If you watch it as its own thing it's much better.

My problem with Caprica was that it didn't seem to know what it was going to do, it was just kind of a mess of subplots.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In that regard it was true to BSG, surely?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

In that regard it was true to BSG, surely?

BSG really was two separate shows. A cool military drama in space that ended when they found the Pegasus and a convoluted mish-mash of plot bingo that was written as badly as Lost or Heroes was because the writers couldn't figure out what the gently caress to do next. That all the sequels and prequels followed this model is really just a nod to consistent writing quality or in this case a lack of it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
BSG fell to the same navel-gazing hubris as DS9. Moore really needs someone to keep him in line.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
BSG's crazy mindfuckery was every bit as entertaining as the military and survival stuff. More shows should aim for Prisoner levels of screwing with the audience.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

BSG fell to the same navel-gazing hubris as DS9. Moore really needs someone to keep him in line.

Great writing is always made better when paired with a great editor. Even if it's just having a guy who's not afraid to say "Mr. Moore making Starbuck an angel sounds like a pretty dumb idea."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even though I do think BSG became a pretty big mess somewhere in season 4 I was happy they went for total insanity instead of sticking with the military thing, which is overall my least favourite aspect of the show's framework.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Trast posted:

Great writing is always made better when paired with a great editor. Even if it's just having a guy who's not afraid to say "Mr. Moore making Starbuck an angel sounds like a pretty dumb idea."

Didn't Moore originally plan to have God show up at the end of season 1 played by the original Star Buck? Thank you to whoever shut down that terrible idea.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

My problem with Caprica was that it didn't seem to know what it was going to do, it was just kind of a mess of subplots.

Because it was its own thing until Syfy greenlit it if only made into a BSG prequel, so it became rife with baggage. All the same, I enjoyed it a lot more than BATTLESTAR for how subdued and thoughtful it was comparatively, as BSG's greatness came from a visceral place and CAPRICA's from being moody.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Starz pirate show is going to be a little weird because it takes place at the same time and location as Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag so they're sharing a lot of the same historical characters.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

That Starz pirate show is going to be a little weird because it takes place at the same time and location as Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag so they're sharing a lot of the same historical characters.

Oh boy, I can't wait to be fake surprised again when the short, spunky beardless pirate turns out to be a girl.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait to be fake surprised again when the short, spunky beardless pirate turns out to be a girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The cast has John Rackham and Anne Bonny, but no Mary Read.

Season 2 I guess.

• Locked thread