Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Thanks, they look really good. Might order some if I've got any money left after Christmas. The whole catalogue on that website looks good, actually. It's refreshing to see something other than the endless rows of Beats, Skullcandy and Bob Marley headphones that my local music shop keeps in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
I got the ultimate ears TripleFi 10vi when they were 100$ on Amazon in 2009. The wire near the plug is starting to wear out, so sometimes the left ear breaks up when the wire is moved around. How should I go about repairing this and how much will it cost me? Should I just repair it myself or go to a shop or something?

vvvv Thanks

e: is this what they call a "puncture point"?

WarpZealot fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 20, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WarpZealot posted:

I got the ultimate ears TripleFi 10vi when they were 100$ on Amazon in 2009. The wire near the plug is starting to wear out, so sometimes the left ear breaks up when the wire is moved around. How should I go about repairing this and how much will it cost me? Should I just repair it myself or go to a shop or something?

Emailing UE is your best bet.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 20, 2013

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!
Budget - less than $50
Source - Standard laptop headphone jack. Smartphone (Galaxy Note 3)
Isolation Requirements - Nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supa-Aural or Over-Ear. Open or Closed doesn't matter.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. I don't need overpowering bass but I'd like to hear a base line in a song without having to add a bass boost (which always sucks)
Past Headphones - Apple Earbuds (sucked, weak sound / lovely fit). Skullcandy earbuds (sucked, imbalanced sound / decent fit). Samsung earbuds (sucked / weak sound / lovely fit). Koss PortaPros (rocked, good sound / uncomfortable after an hour), some kind of Sony Supa-Aural (rocked, good sound, very uncomfortable after an hour).
Preferred Music - Punk rock, funk, rock, pop, metal, and talk radio.

Hi guys, I'm quite new at knowing what headphones are good and what ones are not. I understand that for under $50 I'm not going to get "teh audiophile exxxperience(tm)" or anything ridiculous. My standard for good sound is rather median and it's probably because I've never had a truly amazing sounding pair of headphones before. The Koss PortaPros are quite good considering they're only $25 but I need something I can wear for a long time. I'm a blogger and I do podcasts and YouTube videos, which require I wear headphones for extended periods of time while I listen to either myself or my co-hosts talk. Thus far, the PortaPros are my only headphones as I got rid of the Sony's a few years ago. I'd love it to sound good, but I'm also looking for comfort. I was told this was the place to find them.

I saw these: Panasonic RP HTF600 S Stereo Over-ear headphones but it was a link someone posted a few pages back as "old headphones" so I don't know if it's recommended or not. S/he said they were pretty nice and the Amazon reviews said they were nice. I was hoping to find something that breathed more.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I've heard great things about the Panasonic. There's also the Koss ProDJ100 for $40 on Amazon now. I think they look sharp and feel durable in hand. They also allow for mono listening in the headphones so you could shut off one ear while creating podcasts. There's also the Samson SR850 which are semi-open which will allow you to hear what's going on around you when listening to music at moderate volumes. They sound great and fit rather comfortably. Lastly there's the Creative Aurvana Live for $60 now. I believe they sound well worth $60 and are the best all-around recommendation at $60, their sound eclipses the others in my opinion.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Reposting from Coupons but Amazon had a pair of new HD 800s for $889 yesterday. Price is back up at $1349 (still $150 cheaper than you'd see normally) but maybe worth keeping an eye on if you've been looking.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I'm looking for some solid over-ear/on-ears that are sub-$100 (ideally). Requirements are that they are portable and look cool and don't suck.

Current front runner: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestig...&keywords=grado

Can anyone top that for the price range?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Bea Nanner posted:

I'm looking for some solid over-ear/on-ears that are sub-$100 (ideally). Requirements are that they are portable and look cool and don't suck.

I love the poo poo out of my grados but I don't know about being portable. I mean yes you can take them with you and walk around etc but I don't think they're great for travel or putting them in a backpack or something. I traveled with mine twice and the left earphone came detached from the headband. I can put it back on but it constantly falls off now.

I just don't think they're made to get beat up at all.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Bea Nanner posted:

Looks might be subjective, but I'd venture that Grados aren't cool-looking by many people's (read: non-headphone-nerd) standards. Also, I wouldn't say they're portable. Yes, you can carry them from point A to point B, but if you're using them on public transit or something you're going to get weird looks/angry comments.

I also hate supra-aural phones though so maybe I should just put that to rest.

I'd recommend the Creative Auravana Live: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/

Also, if you can wait, the V-Moda Crossfade LP are nice and sorta stylish and regularly drop to $70-90.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Bea Nanner posted:

Grados are not for portable use. Not only will they leak everything you're listening to to everyone in the vicinity, they don't block any background noise.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
After emailing Logitech and doing some research, I found that the stock replacement cables for the UE TripleFi 10vi suck rear end. Do you guys know anything about these third party replacement wires: http://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/arete-series-mkii-replacement-cable-for-earphones for 100$ or http://www.amazon.com/RC-UE2-Replacement-Cable-Ultimate-Triple/dp/B00D77KEEK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top for 28$ (but 3 pin w/o the mic)? I just want the wires to be really durable, since I wear these every day to the gym, to class, and while travelling. 70$ for an additional pin and a microphone doesn't seem worth it to me, but if it is more reliable I'll pay the extra cash. If there are similar/better earbuds for around 100$, I'll just go with those instead.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The FiiO cable is supposed to be quite good, I doubt you'll have any problems with it at all.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

shymog posted:

[snip] is there anyone with VSonic GR07 Mk2s that has found good foam ear tips for them? I have Comply T-400 foamies that sorta/kinda fit with some stretch work but they very occasionally push in weird ways or separate from the IEMs as I'm pulling them out, which is totally not fun.

Sorry to bump, but this went over a page. I know we have a lot of people recommending VSonic IEMs, has anyone found good replacement tips? I like foamies, but the included foamies felt like hard, cheap poop. Comply T-400s do a half-assed job of fitting, but have issues on removal that can be pretty annoying.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
There's not a chance in hell I'd spend $100 on a cable unless it had a 3 year+ no questions asked warranty.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
This might fall under what the hell is wrong with you buying overpriced poo poo but I really like the way they look and have solid sound if a bit overpriced but I have a pair of B&W C5 and I wanted to mention how impressed I have been by the warranty. As the two year warranty closes in I just sent them in for a second time because of a loose jack (They said that they knew about the defect and they changed the design for this pair), both times same day turnaround when I mailed them in, this time an offer to cross ship with a credit card which I declined because as I told them on the phone my dog had kind of mangled them even though they still worked besides the defective jack. And by mangled I mean almost severed the cord and there was very obvious bite marks on one of the ear pieces majorly denting one of the metal filters. I figured if I'm going to have to pay I already bought a less expensive headphone for a lot of daily wear (4Si) so I might just spend the money on a higher end set.

And what impressed me most, both times they sent back a brand new pair in full sealed retail packaging. Seriously, no hassle, immediate turn around via UPS.

uncola
Apr 21, 2002
Six days left to back the Geek Pulse dac/amp on indiegogo. it's a dac and desktop(non portable) amp.. intro price is $300, there are some high end part addons you can also get but they alter the cost to price ratio

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-pulse-a-digital-audio-awesomifier-for-your-desktop/

only a concept render

different concept

uncola fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 22, 2013

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Midorka posted:

I've heard great things about the Panasonic. There's also the Koss ProDJ100 for $40 on Amazon now. I think they look sharp and feel durable in hand. They also allow for mono listening in the headphones so you could shut off one ear while creating podcasts. There's also the Samson SR850 which are semi-open which will allow you to hear what's going on around you when listening to music at moderate volumes. They sound great and fit rather comfortably. Lastly there's the Creative Aurvana Live for $60 now. I believe they sound well worth $60 and are the best all-around recommendation at $60, their sound eclipses the others in my opinion.

Thank you for your response! I probably wouldn't have found, well, any of those on my own (again, new with quality headphones). The SR850's look really nice as do the Koss Pros (and I'm a faithful Koss fan already, thanks to the portapros). I did manage to find these Audio-Technica ATH-M30's on sale. Time to go read reviews, features and compare :)

Thanks again!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I believe I am receiving one of those Geek amps for review soon. I will definitely have quick feedback. As for those Audio Technica M30, I'd avoid. I heard the M40 and they sounded like tinny junk with no bass at all.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I'm replacing my shorted out headset with a pair of CALs. Not sure this is the best thread but does anyone have a recommendation for a good microphone to go with it? I'd prefer something not unidirectional because I have to run the window AC unit during the summer and I'd prefer not having the background noise picked up why doing VOIP stuff.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Any opinions on JBL products? I'm looking at the JBL J56BT wireless headphones, but I can't seem to find any reviews for them.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Hello thread. I'd be happy if you could help me out. I will be buying two pairs of IEMs, one for longer commutes and a more durable backup pair to toss around wherever.

Budget - $80
Source - Nexus 5, laptop
Isolation Requirements - High
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. Something with detailed sound even at lower volumes.
Past Headphones - A few sub-$10 IEMs, which were harsh and lacked detail, and the Logitech UE 400 which broke after 10 months. The clarity was okay but high-energy vocals were often harsh, e.g. in the choruses of Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out, Within Temptation - Frozen.
Preferred Music - Alt rock, synthesised electronic stuff, indie pop/rock, pop.

I'm considering the Monster Gratitudes ($60) right now because of their apparently great detail and the complimentary carry case. However, I'm not sure whether or not the treble will pose a concern.

For the second pair, I'm thinking the $20 MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fall posted:

Hello thread. I'd be happy if you could help me out. I will be buying two pairs of IEMs, one for longer commutes and a more durable backup pair to toss around wherever.

Budget - $80
Source - Nexus 5, laptop
Isolation Requirements - High
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. Something with detailed sound even at lower volumes.
Past Headphones - A few sub-$10 IEMs, which were harsh and lacked detail, and the Logitech UE 400 which broke after 10 months. The clarity was okay but high-energy vocals were often harsh, e.g. in the choruses of Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out, Within Temptation - Frozen.
Preferred Music - Alt rock, synthesised electronic stuff, indie pop/rock, pop.

I'm considering the Monster Gratitudes ($60) right now because of their apparently great detail and the complimentary carry case. However, I'm not sure whether or not the treble will pose a concern.

For the second pair, I'm thinking the $20 MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6?

Both good choices. I don't find the Gratitudes treble detail sharp, it sounds really good with female vocals - Amy Winehouse, ZZ Ward, Florence and the Machine, Serena Ryder, Tegan and Sara, Duffy etc. If you find it a little sharp, wider bore tips (like those that come with the MeElecs) will take a little bit of the edge off of the mid-high range. They also isolate pretty well.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Hi thread, I've decided that after a long absence from the headphones world I'd like to have sound blasted directly into my ears instead of listening to speakers again.
I will be using these inside exclusively, so portability, weather proofing or anything else isn't a factor. I had a pair of beats previously and while the noise cancelling was fantastic in the high-noise environment I worked in then, I really don't anticipate needing it anymore, and the fact that it required batteries was kind of a shitter.

Budget - 350€/$ or cheaper.
Source - Onboard sound on laptop/pc (no discrete sound cards anywhere) or an iphone
Isolation requirements - If this is outside noise coming in, high. if it is inside noise going out, low.
Preferred Type - Whatever has earmuffs large enough to go over my entire ear, this is not negotiable.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I just straight up don't know what this is but whatever makes music sound like it would if the sound went directly from the instrument to my ears.
Past headphones - That one you get for xbox live, a pair of the giant over-ear beats.
Preferred music - hip hop, psytrance, instrumental music (tabla, veena, sitar, played either in isolation or together)
Special requests - I am a massive idiot that often stands up with headphones still on and as a result I rip the cable out of the jack more often than not, if there's a wireless headphone available, or someone makes those coiled headphone cords as they had them on old corded phones, that'd be a plus.

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011
My mother would like some wireless earbuds that she can use with her iphone, ipad, and laptop. She said earbuds but I'm sure IEMs would be fine too. She likes to listen to audiobooks and self-help stuff she downloads while she is doing housework or keeping an eye on kids while they watch TV. I know very little about this stuff and she is not tech or audio savvy at all. I can only find a few wireless earbuds in local stores and none of those comes with the stick for a laptop. Anyone have any recommendations for wireless earbuds/IEMs that will work with all the devices she wants? Would be nice if they come in white color but not absolutely necessary. I understand wireless are supposed to have lower quality but she uses a wireless speaker a lot and has never had any complaints. She doesn't need particularly high quality but I'd like to get her something that's not total crap. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Budget - Up to $125 or so, but don't want to waste money needlessly, if something cheap meets my needs that's fine.

Source - iPhone 5S, iPad, laptop. Wireless only

Isolation Requirements - Moderate, there's not going to be any really loud noises but would like to block background noise like tv on or kids playing a room away

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or Earbud only

Preferred Tonal Balance - No preferences, recipient knows nothing about this stuff. High quality not really needed.

Past Headphones - Unknown, whatever kind of wired earbuds Bestbuy sells in the $20-25 range.

Preferred Music - Mostly listens to audiobooks or downloaded speeches, occasionally some soft rock or pop music.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Okay so I have narrowed down what I am looking for, I think.

A local audiology place is a provider for Westtone- http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/custom-or-universal.html

And they do molds for 20$ per ear. Sounds good! (PUNZ)

So my next question is - has anyone had any experience with this brand, good/bad whatever - and whats a decent driver to get for my situation? That being, I am a drummer and I want something I can block out the noise of my playing, but be able to listen back to studio level stuff (I have my drums micd up, mixed back in, sometimes I mix in music, that sort of thing). I want a decent low end on them, to hear my kick. Per budget, trying to keep things reasonable, so under 200$ would be nice. Under 150$ would be awesome! Editing to add - $300-350 or around there is acceptable budget - this is an xmas present from my mom. Listen to Mr. T, treat yo momma right. She might get you some super nice IEMs for xmas if you do.

Thanks for any info guys, much appreciated.

pass the butter fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 23, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

Budget - 350€/$ or cheaper.
Source - Onboard sound on laptop/pc (no discrete sound cards anywhere) or an iphone
Isolation requirements - If this is outside noise coming in, high. if it is inside noise going out, low.
Preferred Type - Whatever has earmuffs large enough to go over my entire ear, this is not negotiable.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I just straight up don't know what this is but whatever makes music sound like it would if the sound went directly from the instrument to my ears.
Past headphones - That one you get for xbox live, a pair of the giant over-ear beats.
Preferred music - hip hop, psytrance, instrumental music (tabla, veena, sitar, played either in isolation or together)
Special requests - I am a massive idiot that often stands up with headphones still on and as a result I rip the cable out of the jack more often than not, if there's a wireless headphone available, or someone makes those coiled headphone cords as they had them on old corded phones, that'd be a plus.

I haven't heard them, but perhaps the Sennheiser Momentum? They have high isolation, removable cable and are circumaural.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Midorka posted:

I believe I am receiving one of those Geek amps for review soon. I will definitely have quick feedback. As for those Audio Technica M30, I'd avoid. I heard the M40 and they sounded like tinny junk with no bass at all.

I think I'm gonna go with a pair of Samson 950s. The reviews on the 850s and 950s seem to be pretty good. The 850s are in my price range but if I gather up an extra $20 I can get the nicer ones. Thanks again guys! Glad I didn't go with the M30s.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

I think I'm gonna go with a pair of Samson 950s. The reviews on the 850s and 950s seem to be pretty good. The 850s are in my price range but if I gather up an extra $20 I can get the nicer ones. Thanks again guys! Glad I didn't go with the M30s.

It seems the difference is, only, that the 950 are closed. If you need isolation then try the 950, otherwise the 850 are likely to sound better. If you do need the isolation I'd suggest the NVX XPT100 for $10 more than the SR950 for better build quality, similar sound quality, and better comfort.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Midorka posted:

I haven't heard them, but perhaps the Sennheiser Momentum? They have high isolation, removable cable and are circumaural.
I went and tried them on and as much as I want to like them (because they've even got volume control which was a plus I forgot to mention) and they look so nice they pinch my ears even with the cups all the way down because I have a block sized slavic head.
Thanks for the suggestion though! I hadn't even heard of them, I'll spend some time on google and seeing what the common alternatives are for this one. I've seen the AKG 551 show up but I can't find anywhere to put one on my head.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

grack posted:

Both good choices. I don't find the Gratitudes treble detail sharp, it sounds really good with female vocals - Amy Winehouse, ZZ Ward, Florence and the Machine, Serena Ryder, Tegan and Sara, Duffy etc. If you find it a little sharp, wider bore tips (like those that come with the MeElecs) will take a little bit of the edge off of the mid-high range. They also isolate pretty well.

Thanks for the info. Your earlier post in this thread is why I'm considering the Gratitudes in the first place! I'm looking more for a second opinion, but if I can't find anything better value, I'll probably pull the trigger after Christmas.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hambilderberglar posted:

I went and tried them on and as much as I want to like them (because they've even got volume control which was a plus I forgot to mention) and they look so nice they pinch my ears even with the cups all the way down because I have a block sized slavic head.
Thanks for the suggestion though! I hadn't even heard of them, I'll spend some time on google and seeing what the common alternatives are for this one. I've seen the AKG 551 show up but I can't find anywhere to put one on my head.

I have akg k550's and they're extremely comfortable on my massive head. That said, I just picked up the NAD Viso HP50's and the sound and isolation are quite superior.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

powderific posted:

I have akg k550's and they're extremely comfortable on my massive head. That said, I just picked up the NAD Viso HP50's and the sound and isolation are quite superior.
Those look fantastic and according to the internet they sound fantastic too. I'll definitely try these on when retail starts functioning again in a few days!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones to use 80% desktop, 20% Android phone. Needs a Bluetooth receiver included. All I can find is cheap crap or Gamer EXXXXTreme editions.

Budget - $125 or so, less is as always better.

Source - PC, Android

Isolation Requirements - Medium, just enough to keep my wife from hearing my terrible TV shows from across the room.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full sized. Either type is fine.

Preferred Tonal Balance - No preferences.

Past Headphones - Cheap crap that barely works.

Preferred Music - Movies, 90's alternative, rock

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I got a pair of grado 225i headphones as a gift; is there any kind of adapter available that will let me use them with the smaller audio out on my iPod?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Listerine posted:

I got a pair of grado 225i headphones as a gift; is there any kind of adapter available that will let me use them with the smaller audio out on my iPod?

http://www.4ourears.net/Grado_Mini_Adaptor_Cable_p/4e-miniad.htm?gclid=CNCi4eb2zLsCFSvl7AodAxYAaA

Lots of them exist, but the grado one is actually pretty well-built, but not very compatible with the small openings in phone cases. Just make sure to get an adaptor with cable in the middle rather than something rigid like this as it will definitely break your phone in no time:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/397819.html

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Listerine posted:

This is a joke, right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I am actually desperately looking for an adapter that will let me use various headphones (all with a 3.5mm plug) with my iphone without having to remove it from its bumper case.

I've tried a bunch of what are supposedly the highest recommended on Amazon and other sites and they've all been crap. Either they break right away or they're seriously noisy or they lose channels with nothing more than a slight twitch.

At this point, I'm considering just going for a Bluetooth adapter like the Sony SBH20 but I'd rather not deal with the loss in sound quality and the need to charge another device.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 26, 2013

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

eddiewalker posted:

http://www.4ourears.net/Grado_Mini_Adaptor_Cable_p/4e-miniad.htm?gclid=CNCi4eb2zLsCFSvl7AodAxYAaA

Lots of them exist, but the grado one is actually pretty well-built, but not very compatible with the small openings in phone cases. Just make sure to get an adaptor with cable in the middle rather than something rigid like this as it will definitely break your phone in no time:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/397819.html

^^^ Thanks!

grack posted:

This is a joke, right?

No it's not. I haven't bought headphones in forever and my last pair fit my iPod so I've never had need for an adapter.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Listerine posted:

I haven't bought headphones in forever and my last pair fit my iPod so I've never had need for an adapter.

I'm sure your local Radio Shack has a 1/4inch-3.5mm adapter that's just as good and doesn't cost almost $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm sure your local Radio Shack has a 1/4inch-3.5mm adapter that's just as good and doesn't cost almost $20.

Radio Shack might not be all that much cheaper; they were selling a 3' m/m 1/4 cable for over $10 the last time I was in one of their stores. (Apples to oranges, but gently caress Radio Shack.)