Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Thanks for the replies. Yeah just looking for a manual, I thought 6-speed was the standard but if that's only come about in the last couple of years then it's not something I'll worry about. I won't be modding too much, I'm not remotely a car guy, for anything more than checking air pressure and fluid levels, maaaaaybe an oil change every now and then, I'll be taking it to a garage. 20k is my max I'm looking for, so you've both given me some options to consider.
Yeah, you sound like the target market for that new V6. Buy that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The V6 really is a pretty amazing motor. A friend has a 2012 V6 'vert manual that I have put quite a few miles on and I really like it it. Some bolt on mods and maybe slightly more aggressive gearing and it would be phenomenal. Doesn't have too bad of a tone, either (for a six)

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012
So I sat in my friends 2013 Camaro and am wondering if the Mustang has a smaller interior. I barely fit in the camaro with the seat lowered and as far back as possible. My head is touching the ceiling so its a no go for me. I think at this point I should just abandon all hope for the new mustang and just save up for the 2015 Challenger. Can anyone confirm my suspicions of the mustang having a more cramped interior?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Tide posted:

The V6 really is a pretty amazing motor. A friend has a 2012 V6 'vert manual that I have put quite a few miles on and I really like it it. Some bolt on mods and maybe slightly more aggressive gearing and it would be phenomenal. Doesn't have too bad of a tone, either (for a six)
Seriously, my girlfriend has a base v6 with the 6 speed. I really really like it. It's pretty quick, at least as fast as my dad's WRX. It gets better MPG, it's quieter, smoother, and shifts better. Honestly I'm not sure what car you could get for 20k new that I like better. I also like the trans, coming from a miata (which has an awesome shifter), the mustang has a pretty nice feel to it, though not quite as good.
EDIT: spelling mistakes.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 26, 2013

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Indecision1991 posted:

So I sat in my friends 2013 Camaro and am wondering if the Mustang has a smaller interior. I barely fit in the camaro with the seat lowered and as far back as possible. My head is touching the ceiling so its a no go for me. I think at this point I should just abandon all hope for the new mustang and just save up for the 2015 Challenger. Can anyone confirm my suspicions of the mustang having a more cramped interior?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roadandtrack/data/1647c073376579613ef347acc2eca750.pdf

They look about the same for interior dimensions.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

The mustang has less headroom and my torso is longer. I mean I'll still sit in the new mustang but at this point looks like I'll never fit in my dream car.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sadi posted:

Seriously, my girlfriend has a base v6 with the 6 speed. I really really like it. It's pretty quick, at least as fast as my dad's wax. It gets better MPG, it's quieter, smoother, and shifts better. Honestly I'm not sure what car you could get for 20k new that I like better. I also like the trans, coming from a mistake (which has an awesome shifter), the mustang has a pretty nice feel to it.

Pretty sure WRX got autocorrected into wax, still trying to figure out what car the mistake is though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Indecision1991 posted:

The mustang has less headroom and my torso is longer. I mean I'll still sit in the new mustang but at this point looks like I'll never fit in my dream car.

I'm pretty tall, to the point where most 2-seaters aren't an option at all, and I don't even need to put my seat all the way back or down to fit comfortably, so don't write it off without actually sitting in one. Seat position and whatnot has a lot to do with whether you can fit in a car or not.

I doubt they'll make the new generation too much smaller for the front seat.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

opengl128 posted:

Pretty sure WRX got autocorrected into wax, still trying to figure out what car the mistake is though.

Post history says Miata?

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

PT6A posted:

I'm pretty tall, to the point where most 2-seaters aren't an option at all, and I don't even need to put my seat all the way back or down to fit comfortably, so don't write it off without actually sitting in one. Seat position and whatnot has a lot to do with whether you can fit in a car or not.

I doubt they'll make the new generation too much smaller for the front seat.

Oh no I'm not writing it off yet. Just keepkeepng my hopes at a reasonable level.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How tall are you (or are you really long torso'd)? Or both?

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Tide posted:

How tall are you (or are you really long torso'd)? Or both?

6'5" but longer on the torso side. I've never actually measured myself to see what's longer but my family and friends say its torso so I'll believe them.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Yeah, WRX, sorry. Was posting from a phone and missed that bit.

I'm looking to get a used car in the next few months and just noticed the new 5.0 is dipping into the really low 20s. Is there a good reason to avoid a 2012-2013 5.0 with track package ~20k miles for ~23k? It would be DD/autocross car with a few HPDEs probably.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 26, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Indecision1991 posted:

6'5" but longer on the torso side. I've never actually measured myself to see what's longer but my family and friends say its torso so I'll believe them.

You're going to have to start making some comprimises kid.

Also, lose some weight. There are a lot of cars i fit in at 270lbs that i didn't at 360lbs

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sadi posted:

I'm looking to get a used car in the next few months and just noticed the new 5.0 is dipping into the really low 20s. Is there a good reason to avoid a 2012-2013 5.0 with track package ~20k miles for ~23k? It would be DD/autocross car with a few HPDEs probably.

There's a brand new 2014 GT base for $26,820 and a GT Premium for $28,000 and a GT Premium Track for $28,900 a few miles from where I'm located. You might be able to knock a bit off of each of those prices.

drat, I really with that my new job would start already so I can pick one of these bastards up.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Powershift posted:

You're going to have to start making some comprimises kid.

Also, lose some weight. There are a lot of cars i fit in at 270lbs that i didn't at 360lbs

Where did he ever say he didn't fit due to being fat?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sadi posted:

If you can wait, wait until the next gen comes out. I expect the current gen resale to tank as the market gets saturated with people that want the new shiny.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Where did he ever say he didn't fit due to being fat?

I wont lie I am a big fella but sitting in cars was always more of a problem with me being too tall. I have yet to sit in a car that I am too wide for. Even in the miata I was able to buckle in without issue. My head is always 2+ inches higher than the roof or my knees are under my chin. Downsides of being tall: too big for fun sporty cars, also cant be a pilot.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Indecision1991 posted:

I don't know about the new Mustang, but between the current Mustang and Camaro, I think the Mustang has much better visibility and headroom. I drive my dads 12 GT all the time and at 6'3", I find it perfectly roomy and easy to see out of.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

SouthLAnd posted:

I don't know about the new Mustang, but between the current Mustang and Camaro, I think the Mustang has much better visibility and headroom. I drive my dads 12 GT all the time and at 6'3", I find it perfectly roomy and easy to see out of.

This is what frustrates me. I keep hearing of tall people fitting in sporty cars but when I get in them after adjusting the seat and steering wheel it still feels tight. Am I doing something wrong? I usually sit in cars during autoshows (LA auto show last month being the last one I attended).

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

The only problem with the 05-14s is that they don't have a telescopic wheel. I'm 6'2" and while I do fit nicely in my V6, the driving position is still a bit suboptimal (either too close leg-wise or a tad too far arm-wise).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Maybe part of the reason I think the current Mustang is such a nice place to be is because I DD a '12 Focus hatch so when I look to my left I'm either staring at the b-pillar or looking out the rear passenger window.

My next car is definitely going to be a coupe with big long doors and side glass.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
So there has been a lot of mad on SVTP over this open source transbrake for 6R80 applications.

Anyone want to wire it up?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Hey, Got a couple of questions.

First some back story. I own a 01 GT, I am planning on getting my rear gears changed again because of the awful whining. I am sure they are shimmed in wrong. I figure I should just replace everything while its apart. I am going to replace the axles, differential, gears, bearing and everything else including the differential cover. So with that...

1) I am looking at the FRPP Carbon Clutch Disc 31 spline differential. Is that decent or should I get something else?
This install is going to be a pain in the rear end so I want to do this only once so should I spend more money and get something better? recommendations? its most likely going to live the a street car life and never really go to a track.

2) I also thought about investing in a Big Brake Kit, something like a Wilwood 14" 6 piston front and 13" inch rears. I know its completely over kill, but my question is should I do the rear brake now, because the mouting kit would require me to remove the axles so I can put in a new mounting bracket? or is it possible to install the brackets with the axles attached? if so then I can do that upgrade at a later time, right? Also on the subject of brakes should I consider upgrading the master brake cylinder or is the stock ok?

3) My current seats are also getting a little worn. I am debating on getting some Recaro Speed seats, they dont seem to be common in my model car, so I cant find mounting brackets. do they make them? and if so where can I get them? Everyone has Corbeau seats, but I want something different.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
What are thoughts on the year to year changes for 2011-2014? I like the look of the 13 up better and I like the availability of the track package, however the deletion of the oil cooling jets makes me curious if I wouldn't be better off with a 2012 or older with brembo and the 3.71 and putting a bigger rad and oil cooler my self. For reference my goal is a 2013-2014 gt with only the track pack and the recaros right now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Got some cheap wheels on craiglist, plastidipped them blue and got some winter shoes. Delouvered it because my $250 piece of plastic will surely crack in the cold. After 7 months I still love the car.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sadi posted:

What are thoughts on the year to year changes for 2011-2014? I like the look of the 13 up better and I like the availability of the track package, however the deletion of the oil cooling jets makes me curious if I wouldn't be better off with a 2012 or older with brembo and the 3.71 and putting a bigger rad and oil cooler my self. For reference my goal is a 2013-2014 gt with only the track pack and the recaros right now.

I like the nose of the '13 better than my '12, but don't like the tail lights. I'm probably alone there - I just don't like the LED rears. I will say that not having the track pack is probably the biggest regret I have when buying mine (2012 GT). Play your cards right and you could probably pick up a new '14 pretty cheap once the '15s hit the showroom floors. It may not be exactly optioned the way you want, but the deal you get it on it could offset that. Plus give you a solid foundation to build on.

Thaaaaaaaat said, gonna reiterate advice I give to everyone looking at the any Mustang '12 or newer: The '15 is going to be better in every way so I would either wait for it to buy or at least wait for it to hit the streets to buy a '12-'14 model. I fully expect the resale value of the '12-'14 to drop like a rock as the market gets flooded with those models as people try to dump them off for the new hotness.

==========

B4B: Have you started your snail install yet? If so, how's it going?

dermalogic
Dec 21, 2005

The Emperor's gespatcho was too cold, or not cold enough. He can't really remember.
Hi guys,

Firstly, nice OP in this thread, some handy websites there!

I'm posting here because I've wanted a Mustang since I was a kid and my wife got me a day self-drive in a '67 convertible for my birthday and now we're both keen to look into buying/minor restoration on one ourselves.

Are there any posters here from Australia who have any experience/suggestions/advice on owning/restoring a mustang in Australia?

General question though, I was thinking about picking up a book to get some general guidelines on how to restore/maintain a mustang (I have no experience in this sort of thing at all) and these seemed to make their way to the top of the pile:

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-1964-...storation+Guide
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...&pf_rd_i=507846
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...&pf_rd_i=507846
http://www.fordmanuals.com/estore/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=102

Does anyone have experience with using these books? Any suggestions of others I should read?

Sorry for all the questions, but I trawled the first few pages and the last couple and didn't find much - except plenty of excitement about the new 50th anniversary, which I agree looks awesome!

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
From what I've read on here in regards to older Ford motors in Australia, parts are going to be expensive. Don't remember who posted it, but they said a water-pump for a 302 (which is a $20 part here in the US) was in the $100+ range; so be ready for that... Other than that, I don't have much as I learned everything pretty much on my own from experience/trial & error/others. We'd love to see pics though when you choose one!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've done three restos over the years; two mustangs for me and helped a friend with his dad's old 1963 ford truck. Once you find a suitable candidate, start from the bottom and make a list of everything you will need to do, research the cost and time you think you will need, then triple that cost estimate and quadruple the time estimate. Probably even more if it's your first time.

Mustangs are exceedingly easy to wrench on and fairly cheap to get parts for as well. But it adds up fast. Add in the fact that you're in the land down under and nothing is cheap to get there, or gets there quickly.

What sort of options would you have in terms of importing one?

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Tide posted:

I like the nose of the '13 better than my '12, but don't like the tail lights. I'm probably alone there - I just don't like the LED rears. I will say that not having the track pack is probably the biggest regret I have when buying mine (2012 GT). Play your cards right and you could probably pick up a new '14 pretty cheap once the '15s hit the showroom floors. It may not be exactly optioned the way you want, but the deal you get it on it could offset that. Plus give you a solid foundation to build on.

Thaaaaaaaat said, gonna reiterate advice I give to everyone looking at the any Mustang '12 or newer: The '15 is going to be better in every way so I would either wait for it to buy or at least wait for it to hit the streets to buy a '12-'14 model. I fully expect the resale value of the '12-'14 to drop like a rock as the market gets flooded with those models as people try to dump them off for the new hotness.

==========

B4B: Have you started your snail install yet? If so, how's it going?

Changed oil after 7500 miles with a Royal Purple kit, 8 liters. Installed the Steeda upper arm and mount, learning how to remove the rear seat in 10 seconds. Took about 3 hours to remove and install the arm, recenter the rear end (pan hard bar was off by 2cm at full droop?), and torque everything down.

I'd like to install the centri but the weather is just terrible. Need to get the base tune for the Paxton from AED and really commit to installing it over a weekend. Picked up some NT 555R rears, tempted to move my rear Sumitomo ZII 275s to the front...

dermalogic
Dec 21, 2005

The Emperor's gespatcho was too cold, or not cold enough. He can't really remember.
Thanks guys, I'll certainly post pictures of any cars/WIP photos, etc!

We can import them into Australia, subject to a 10% tax and we do have some family over in the US - so purchasing one (doing any major work) and importing it is certainly an option we will look into before we purchase.

I imagine there are a good range of good workshops that I could find over in the US to do some of the restoration work at a much lower cost than I could over here, too...

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

dermalogic posted:

Thanks guys, I'll certainly post pictures of any cars/WIP photos, etc!

We can import them into Australia, subject to a 10% tax and we do have some family over in the US - so purchasing one (doing any major work) and importing it is certainly an option we will look into before we purchase.

I imagine there are a good range of good workshops that I could find over in the US to do some of the restoration work at a much lower cost than I could over here, too...

If you go down the importing route make sure you get it 110% right with the import approval papers and everything else. Plenty of people these days are having their cars stopped at the docks because the paperwork didn't mention the car had aftermarket wheels. The rules are getting incredibly anal and you can pretty much only bring in a completely stock car now.
My advice is to look locally. The two greatest words for buying an old car is "unfinished project". It usually means someones started the hard work and run out of cash so they sell it off cheap.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I'm fine with yellow.

Gimme a 5.0, track package, Bluetooth and Recaros. I'll take the auto with rev matching paddle shifters this time.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 13, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:drat:

I really can't wait to see the GT350 or whatever special editions they come out with. And I really need to ignore the fact my '12 GT will be paid off by the time the '15s become available.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Tide posted:

:drat:

I really can't wait to see the GT350 or whatever special editions they come out with. And I really need to ignore the fact my '12 GT will be paid off by the time the '15s become available.

Same boat. I'd love to see a specialized engine for GT350/Mach 1. OEM supercharging/turbo packages (FRPP Whipple, Roush TVS) were great but left a lot on the table in terms of tuning.

E: Car wash day!

bowling 4 buttcoins fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 14, 2014

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I must be in the minority in that I am not interested in the '15 at all. I just paid off my '11 GT, and it is really nice not having a payment. If for some reason I needed a new car in 6 months when they come out I still wouldn't consider a '15. Maybe I'm getting older/fatter/grayer? How many people are going to jettison their '11-14 models for the '15 I wonder?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Radiohead71 posted:

How many people are going to jettison their '11-14 models for the '15 I wonder?

The Jones' and everyone trying to keep up with them. Also if performance numbers increase over the Camaro, you might get some converts.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Radiohead71 posted:

I must be in the minority in that I am not interested in the '15 at all. I just paid off my '11 GT, and it is really nice not having a payment. If for some reason I needed a new car in 6 months when they come out I still wouldn't consider a '15. Maybe I'm getting older/fatter/grayer? How many people are going to jettison their '11-14 models for the '15 I wonder?

If you're interested in the V8, I can understand not wanting to trade up. The 2011+ GT is still a pretty incredible car and provides far more performance than you could possibly exploit on the street. I don't imagine the next-gen GT is going to be cheap. The I4T is probably going to fill in the $27-37k market, so I will be surprised if the GT will remain as assessable as it currently is; it will probably be priced starting at $36k.

New Mustang buyers though (like me) are going to have a hard decision to make. The 2014 GTs are probably going to be discounted into the low to mid 20s by summer and paying 10+k or more for a new chassis might be a tough pill to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

oRenj9 posted:

If you're interested in the V8, I can understand not wanting to trade up. The 2011+ GT is still a pretty incredible car and provides far more performance than you could possibly exploit on the street. I don't imagine the next-gen GT is going to be cheap. The I4T is probably going to fill in the $27-37k market, so I will be surprised if the GT will remain as assessable as it currently is; it will probably be priced starting at $36k.

New Mustang buyers though (like me) are going to have a hard decision to make. The 2014 GTs are probably going to be discounted into the low to mid 20s by summer and paying 10+k or more for a new chassis might be a tough pill to swallow.

I hope they get that low. I'll be picking one up if that's the case.