Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
https://i.imgur.com/fTNCmDC.mp4

7 Days to Die (7D2D for short) is a unique mix of survival, crafting/base-building/tower-defense, and zombie slaughter. As of this writing, it has been in Early Access for almost 8 years, but don't let that scare you: the game has been in active development the entire time, features an enormous amount of content, and is polished enough such that it could be released today.

For those of you who want to immediately see an example gameplay, here's the first episode of a good LP playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtJ3BoxTd4A

The game's name refers to horde nights, which are events that (by default) happen every seven days, where hordes of zombies attack your base, trying to break in and eat you. Much of the game revolves around building sturdy bases (either from scratch, or by reinforcing remains of existing buildings) with a mix of mazes, traps and barriers to forestall them. There are a large variety of materials you can build your base out of, starting from wood and ending with reinforced steel. Later on you can also build traps and turrets to make lifedeath hell for zombies. The game uses a voxel-based system, which resembles Minecraft's block-based system but is way more flexible and advanced, since the blocks you place don't have to be cubes, but can be of an enormous variety of different shapes. Seriously, there's over a thousand different blocks! Here's one of the devs showing just some of them during a sneak peek video:

And every single thing in the game — terrain, buildings, objects, etc. — is destroyable, which opens up an unlimited number of possibilities for shaping your surroundings.

Bases can be simple and functional:

Or they can be complex:

You can have open base designs:

Or chokepoints where you can gun down anything trying to make it through your traps:

One of the most fun things about the game is using your creativity to figure out which base layouts work best, in terms of minimizing the amount of damage zombies do to your base (and to you) during horde nights, and maximizing the speed at which you dispose of them. Zombies aren't smart by any means, but they WILL break down your walls quickly if they can't find a path to you, which means you can't just hide inside a reinforced steel box with your thumb in your mouth!

The other common activity is breaking into buildings — which can range from a single-family home where young Johnny turned and ate his parents and now is hibernating in the bedroom closet waiting for his next victim, to a skyscraper with dozens of stories where no doubt Very Important Business took place before the world went to hell in a handbasket — and looting stuff that has been left behind by the former residents. These buildings, referred to as POIs or Points of Interest, are the game's version of dungeons. Each one has been hand-crafted by the game's designers and they are all very fun and realistic. You go through these dungeons and loot cupboards, trash bins, wardrobes, drawers... and dismantle anything that looks like it might yield useful things such as leather, electrical parts, lead and brass (for making bullets!), and countless other things. It is difficult to overstate the insane number of items that are in the game. What is more is that almost everything you find has some sort of use in a crafting recipe, so even things that appear to be junk can be turned into useful stuff.

Literally every single building in the screenshots below is a detailed, hand-crafted dungeon, and there is several hundred more not shown:

As you kill zombies, gather resources and complete missions that traders give you, you gain experience. Leveling up grants skill points, which you allocate between five skill trees: strength, fortitude, agility, perception and intelligence. Each of these offers a distinct playstyle, as each one has different weapon specializations and advances your character in different ways. This offers a ton of replayability.

For those of you who prefer multiplayer, 7D2D offers a robust experience as well. Some of us play on fellow forums poster powderkeg's server, which has been around for more than five years now. It does get reset regularly though, offering people a fresh start.

Server address: 64.94.95.162:22854
Password: lljk

Alpha 20 discussion starts around page 220

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

My interest is piqued, and between this and Rust I am excited for the sandbox-survival genre, however, what turned me off of Rust was the DayZ "multiplayer only" aspect. Is there a single-player mode in this game where I can gently caress around and familiarize myself with the whole game, or am I forced to endure public servers and horrible pubbies if I ever want to play?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rhjamiz posted:

My interest is piqued, and between this and Rust I am excited for the sandbox-survival genre, however, what turned me off of Rust was the DayZ "multiplayer only" aspect. Is there a single-player mode in this game where I can gently caress around and familiarize myself with the whole game, or am I forced to endure public servers and horrible pubbies if I ever want to play?

You can set up a server so it's single player, yeah. The way it works you just choose to set the world to private when booting it up. No one can see it and join in if you do that unless you give them the address.

I can try to post a screenshot of the survival mode options menu. It'd explain better I think. Let me see if I can snap a screenshot.

Edit:

I have the option in question selected. You can opt to make the game not listed on the multiplayer menu. If you do that the game is effectively single player unless you invite someone in. Every world is considered a server, but you can just opt to not make that server joinable, at which point it becomes a single player game world unless you decide otherwise.

You can also change this later on. You can see that i'm on the "continue game" menu. Which is the same as the new game menu, only you choose which world to load. So you can create a world with a high difficulty/cheat mode/creative tools on/whatever and build something neat to challenge players with/just dick around, then set it up like a normal survival server by altering the settings later.

Difficulty of the world is tied to the settings, so changing the player cap wouldn't effect that. So need to worry about anything else there too. That being said, just like in DayZ and Rust, a lot of the fun of the game is dicking around in the world with other players. Especially given how scavenging works and how it can provoke raids and attacks on players in worlds that have been running for awhile.

I also had a server up earlier for goons to play on. But I took it down since I was worried that there wasn't much interest in the game in light of the Christmas day lull. If people want I can throw it back up.

Edit: putting old, extremely outdated thread OP here

quote:

As of January 15, Alpha 6 is now out. New features include new players no longer spawning on top of you, a new map, new biome, new advanced crafting systems for constructing new items, and a fuckton more interesting stuff. Check it out!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/

MUMBLE INFO:
vx38.commandchannel.com
Port: 31463

What is 7 Days To Die?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOSDIlaRGCg

quote:

7 Days to Die is an open world, voxel-based, sandbox game that is a unique mash up of First Person Shooter, Survival Horror, Tower Defense and Role Playing Games combining combat, crafting, looting, mining, exploration, and character growth.

In the near future where the a third world war leaves the Earth in ruins but the worst was yet to come. Nobody knows for sure if it was the radiation, the biochemical weapons or an act of god but an unknown virus soon transforms the surviving humans into an army of the animated dead, acting as a single-minded being.

You play a survivor trapped in the savage zombie infested world of Navezgane County Arizona one of the last true Eden’s on Earth. Ironically Navezgane means “Killer of Monsters” to the Apache who have inhabited the land for centuries, and that’s pretty much what you’ll do as you fight to survive and search for the truth behind what really happened.

Basically, picture Minecraft's open world building and sandbox elements mixed with DayZ's survival, scavenging, and PVP aspects. Then add in a dash of survivor horror as the zombies come at you every night, transforming into horrifying murder machines from the shambling walkers while in low light conditions, relentlessly trying to tear down whatever defenses you made to get at your succulent flesh. Throw in a bit of Fallout's post-apoc aesthetics on top of that and you've got a really neat game that is probably the most "feature complete" of the zombie survival games out there at the moment.

If you liked those early aspects of Minecraft where you're hiding in a hovel at night, frantically scavenging during the day, and beating off other untrustworthy players with a sharpened stick in fear of them taking your hard earned supplies, this game is for you. The game is in open alpha, but it plays like a feature complete game already. There's pretty much nothing you can't do, and they're still adding in a ton of content every content update.

If that's not your thing there's also different gameplay modes other than the default survival mode. This includes a horde defense mode, a death match mode, and more coming that haven't been discussed yet.

To roll off a list of features since Steam is making GBS threads the bed at the moment:

quote:

A huge open world sandbox that is scavengable and alterable with multiple biomes. New maps and biomes are also coming, with new additions like weather and temperature supposedly effecting your health. This also includes what appears to be a custom world generator coming down the line soon.

Fully featured multiplayer with a server browser included. Up to 64 people per server.

Hunger, Thirst, and Stamina mechanics. You have to eat and drink to survive!

Crafting, cooking, hunting, farming, and industry, are all implemented with more additions coming. You can set up in an area long term, or go the nomad route to survive.

Some horrifyingly relentless zombies that put pressure on the players at all times.

PVP mechanics and looting players and their homes are possible. Servers default to PVP being on, so most servers allow it in true DayZ style. Reap a harvest of pubbie tears. :unsmigghh:

A currently fairly filled out tech tree that progresses from fighting with sharpened sticks all the way up to modern guns.

The ability to build a fortress from scratch, Minecraft style.

Resource scarcity as a mechanic. Once an area is depleted, it's depleted for good. After that you have to start hunting zombies for rare drops, trading with players, and using the alternative methods to scavenging to get supplies. Or move on or find some of the rarer scavenging sites. Hope you like players turning on each other as supplies get low in an area of the world and food and water starts to run out! :v:

So basically it's DayZ with Minecraft's crafting and building mechanics while taking things a bit further, letting you do things like set up your own farm, plot out irrigation, hunt animals for food, set up horrifyingly complex mazes of traps to trick players and zombies into, delve underground for ores just like in Minecraft, etc, etc. Also, the zombies are somehow more horrifying than DayZ on account of how loving relentless they can be if they track down your hideout.

About the game world:

So the game has a few things about it that distinguishes itself from other similar games. For one, the zombies have two modes. This is controlled by the ambient light levels of an area. During a sunny day they're the slow Romero-esque shamblers everyone knows and loves. Drop the ambient light levels a few notches though and they turn into the screaming, sprinting, murder machines from DayZ.

Then you combine this with how they act during the night. You see, they're smart enough to gather into hordes. And once they know you're at a location they will harass it constantly so long as that night hasn't ended. Even if it means tunneling through a bunker you made. Even if it means rolling over through the dozens of traps you set up at the start of the night. Heck, even if it means re-enacting the sort of zombie siege you'd see in a movie, with the more mutated ones literally climbing the walls to try and get at you. They are relentless, and unlike other similar Minecraft-esque games they will hit your fortifications, making them need to be practical instead of just aesthetic.

Then you add the requisite "freak" zombines on top of that. Except it's not just freaks. The wildlife can get infected as well. See that junkyard over the hill? It could be overrun with zombie dobermans. That hornets nest in a tree? They mutated to become Fallout-esque basketball sized monstrosities that look like Cazadores. :stonk:

And they go after the wildlife that hasn't been infected (And thus, presents a huntable food source.) too. Ever see a wild pig go apeshit on a spider zombie? This is a thing that happens, and they will wreck some undead faces. That guy in GBS who hunted pigs for a living would probably love this game.

Likewise, there's fully featured farming, hunting, crafting, and other requisite features of the genre. This includes PVP (Which can optionally be turned off for a fully cooperative experience if you're a horrible carebear. :colbert:), which depending on the age of the server is quite useful to partake in in the game world.

After all, while the game world starts out absolutely loaded with resources, there's a limited number of resources to be scavenged, at which point people tend to redirect their efforts to hunting zombies for the stuff they had on them before they died.

About Survival Mode:

So far there's a few different gameplay modes. The "main" mode is Survival. Each mode comes with their own set of options. For Survival, this ranges from toggling on a Minecraft style creative mode, to the types of zombies (IE: Difficulty, whether they run in low light conditions, never run, or always run.), the length of a day, number of players available to join a world, etc, etc. Basically think every feature that you could tack into it, and it probably has it.

Survival in this mode requires more than the usual crap where you cower in fear of the native monsters for one night. Instead, you need to plan out a base, set up defenses, and deal with the fact that you're probably going to gently caress up and die horribly a few times before you figure out what you're doing. There's also some neat strategies you can learn over time to build a more secure/less destroyable base of operations.

That's why some players prefer to team up, if only for the short term when getting set up in an area.

Of course it doesn't always last.

Not that doing that in a highly populated area is always a good idea.

Of course that doesn't stop your average bandit from causing havoc. Case in point:

What happens when you build your safehouse out of shoddy materials, get run out of an area after murdering a few players for supplies, and then come back with a few improvised explosives. No more respawns for them until they rebuild! :v:

Respawning in Survival is fairly simple. You either spawn in at one of the "entrance" areas on the map (The stars in the above image of the map.), or at a safe house you've discovered or built a bed at. Currently there are no friendly NPC's, but once they're in it's supposed to be possible to join their enclave and trade with them, giving you a somewhat safer place to base yourself if you're anti-social and don't want to trust your fellow sentient human beings.

Of course that doesn't stop you from repurposing a building to be your own safehouse. Or you can just build your own. Heck, you can even create a Fallout-esque Vault-Tech style Vault, if you have the resources. Good luck doing it alone though. That's usually middle to end game building content unless you have a friend or two to help out.

To give an idea of it, pictured here is the ruins of an old player settlement I found. This is part of the outer wall. The place was in a burnt up wasteland, and was pretty much ten kinds of hosed. Beneath it was an old mine shaft that lead into an underground base that had apparently partially collapsed when someone dug out a shaft with no supports to hold the thing up.

The building in the picture had a bedroom. Given the blood on the spikes, apparently their plan to defend themselves while sleeping didn't work out too well. :stare:

Where do I get it?
Steam is your best bet. It's on sale until January 2nd. The link is at the top of the page. Alternatively, you can go here if you're extremely lazy:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/

I want to reap pubbie tears with other goons! What server do I join?
If people decide on a single server to play on i'll put the server address here.

I also put up a 20 player goon survival server. It's public, with player icons set to hidden until you're close to them for that authentic "you're going to get sniped by some rear end in a top hat with a rifle and never even see him" experience that DayZ gives you. Also, because we had pubbies coming in thinking they were hot poo poo, and killing them is becoming increasingly entertaining.

The IP is 72.45.56.195, and the port is 1201. Alternatively you can search for the word LLJK on the server browser. The name should be LLJK Hideout.

F.A.Q.

I'll be putting some of this stuff in spoilers, for those who want to explore the gameplay themselves.

How do I survive my first night?

You probably won't. :v: In all seriousness, the best thing to do is stay the gently caress away from larger towns, find some place elevated, and if possible, get to a two story or taller building and knock out the stairs leading up. The zombies will swarm the building but if you do it right they won't be able to get to you.

Failing that, hide out in the forest, set down some torches, maybe make a tree fort (You can literally do this, just use a ladder to ascend a tree.) and pray the zombies can't climb up to get you. Until you get a base of materials to work with you're pretty much zombie chow at night if you go out, so find some place they can't reach you and hide out.

Why do I want ____ item? It looks useless!

Pretty much everything in the game can be used for something. If it isn't to craft something, it can be used as a workstation for hidden recipes. If it isn't for that, you can use it as a barricade. If it isn't for that, you can break it for another item. There's pretty much nothing that isn't used for something, even if you aren't aware of it.

Where do I find more water?

Empty glass jars can be used on water and toilets to refill them for something to drink. You can craft empty jars by digging up some sand, converting it into a glass pane, and then using some forging metal on it in a pattern in the crafting window. Alternatively, it is a very common drop from scavenging, and fairly common from zombies.

How do I farm?

You will need four things to set up a farm that never self deletes. The first is a gardening hoe, the second is a bucket, the third is seeds, and the fourth is water (carried in the bucket). You will want to get some dirt so you can use the hoe on it. Place the dirt so that it is touching the water you place from the bucket. Then, use the hoe on the irrigated dirt tile to create a plot that will never self delete. Following that, put your seed down.

Congrats, you have now made infinite corn/blueberries/potatos/aloe vera/whatever.

How do I hunt pubbies?

The pubbie is a wily creature, if not that intelligent. Keep an eye out for odd additions to buildings, huge torch networks on the surface out in the middle of nowhere, and other constructions that are not hard coded in. These are usually indications of their domicile. Be aware that most pubbies do not trap their settlements. Goons however usually do, if only to catch a goon mistakenly thinking it's a pubbie hideout, leading to them getting gibbed all over the walls.

Also, get in mumble. This will allow you access to the dozens of supply caches we've set up on my server, along with being able to get near goons without them riddling you with bullets.

Goons keep shooting me while telling me to ":getout: of here, Stalker!" or to put on a black jacket! What the gently caress is wrong with you people?!

You have on the newbie avatar. This identifies you as a target to the goon hive mind. Take it off via changing your avatar in the options menu, or :frogout: of here Stalker. :unsmigghh:

I've started late on a server and have no supplies. Should I just quit and wait for a reset?

No. This game is neat in that even if a map is mostly/all the way tapped out for scavengeable resources, there's always alternate ways to get items that don't require scavenging.

You'll want to hunt for seeds in the wilderness, set up traps to farm zombies and animals for kills (Basically, you'll want to play this thing like a mix of the Vietcong and Arnold from the Predator.) find some scrap metal on zombies to get some basic tools made so you can get the really good stuff, and root around the wilderness for awhile instead of bee-lining to a town.

Even if a server is on day 500000, you can still set yourself up as well as someone who was there on day 1. You just need to do it in a different way. Whereas people who are there on day one want to scavenge and settle down, you'll want to probably be a bit more nomadic at first depending on how tapped out the map is. As a bonus, this means that player settlements are easier to find and loot. :black101:

This method of play is neat since it also is very different from playing early on, which means that the game offers an entirely different gameplay experience if you start out later on on a server. As an added bonus, the only real way to experience this is to play in multiplayer, since singleplayer servers you make start out with a full map of scavengeable resources.

How do I hunt and cook animals? I have tons of food and it's all raw!

This is fairly easy. Animals aren't that smart, though wild pigs will gently caress your poo poo up if you manage to actually make them angry. Other than shooting them, you can set up spike pits to kill them for you. They'll wander in, get killed, and give you free meat.

Zombies will also go after living creatures like animals, so you can let them run them down at night, run out, grab the meat, then run back inside if you're quick and crafty. It's recommended that if you want a long term base, that you set up spikes not only to defend yourself, but also to give you some sweet, sweet, meat to gnaw on.

Most people assume you just eat the meat raw though, like a total lunatic badass. Cooking it gives much better results, just like with farmed food. :black101:

In reality you can cook every raw food item. Below are a few known recipes.

Rabbit Kebab: 1 sharpened stick, 1 skinned rabbit.

Venison Stew: 1 potato, 1 bottled water, 1 raw venison, 1 clay bowl

Cooking is done via a semi-hidden interface. Any campfire or oven can do it. In addition, certain items, like stew, need a cooking pot placed nearby to work. Simply craft the uncooked item, equip it, point at the oven/campfire, then right click. This will cook the item.

I cut down a tree and it killed me in retaliation for its death. What the gently caress?

Congratulations, you have just received an introduction to the game's physics system. Much like in real life, falling objects can bludgeon you to death if they hit you on the head. Everything from trees to buildings can be sapped/destabilized to cause them to collapse. If you look through the thread or the griefing thread, you'll find plenty of examples of fun stuff you can do with this.

What you just did was destabilize a tree enough to make it collapse, giving you its wood. What did you wrong was stand underneath the tree once you heard it start to give out, allowing a multitude of branches (or the tree itself) to come crashing down onto your head. Much like in real life, you really don't want to be standing underneath a large tree when it falls. :v:

Screenshots:

War. War never changes. :spergin:

Okay, maybe it changes a bit. :stare:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 29, 2022

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
How easy is it to find your friends in this? And do you spawn with a map?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

tehsid posted:

How easy is it to find your friends in this? And do you spawn with a map?

Depends on the server settings. Everyone spawns with access to a map, but the server host can choose whether or not players and hideouts are marked on the map when booting it up.

If player icons on the map are set to yes you can see all hideouts and players everywhere at all times. If not, it appears to work so that you only see players on the map and mini-map near you, and I think hideouts you've discovered by traveling to them.

I noticed one hideout that was nearby disappeared when I traveled to a different city. So assuming that someone didn't pick the bed up I assume there's a range on them too that keeps you from suiciding to get back to your base with loot if player icons is set to off. This also means that ambushing players is much easier since the range of detection appears to be fairly close. I lost sight of two players when they hit the forests while I was in the center of a city.

If i'm right, setting player icons to off turns the game into a pretty hardcore zombie apocalypse sim as a world gets depleted. Mind you though, I haven't explored the map icon settings that heavily yet, so I could be mistaken about how the map works when icons are set to off. But it seems pretty well thought out at a first glance.

The world customization has a fair bit of adaptability to it, really. The fact that you can easily switch a world from a creative style Minecraft world and back to survival quickly with a few clicks of a mouse is one of the things i'm liking about it so far, outside of the gameplay itself.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 26, 2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Archonex posted:

Depends on the server settings. Everyone spawns with access to a map, but the server host can choose whether or not players and hideouts are marked on the map when booting it up.

If player icons on the map are set to yes you can see all hideouts and players everywhere at all times. If not, it appears to work so that you only see players on the map and mini-map near you, and I think hideouts you've discovered by traveling to them.

I noticed one hideout that was nearby disappeared when I traveled to a different city. So assuming that someone didn't pick the bed up I assume there's a range on them too that keeps you from suiciding to get back to your base with loot if player icons is set to off. This also means that ambushing players is much easier since the range of detection appears to be fairly close. I lost sight of two players when they hit the forests while I was in the center of a city.

If i'm right, setting player icons to off turns the game into a pretty hardcore zombie apocalypse sim as a world gets depleted. Mind you though, I haven't explored the map icon settings that heavily yet so I could be mistaken about how the map works when icons are set to off. But it seems pretty well thought out at a first glance.

The world customization has a fair bit of adaptability to it, really. The fact that you can easily switch a world from a creative style Minecraft world and back to survival quickly with a few clicks of a mouse is one of the things i'm liking about it so far, outside of the gameplay itself.

Cool. Thanks. I've picked it up to try coop with my mate (we tried Arma3's Breaking Point mod and Rust, but both are a bit hard to play coop without a lot of map knowledge, so this should be good fun for a quick 'zombie sandbox' coop. Cheers.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

It's a lot of fun, a little expensive but steam sales should fix that over time.

The more built up the area the tougher the enemies will be / the better crafting materials available. Just like minecraft, the secret to long term survival is farming a small plot of land touching water.

When you begin check your map for the nearest town and head there - pick up rocks and loot from garbage as much as reasonably possible. berries for seeds are handy as well. When you get to a town, look for the building made of brick or stone and camp in the highest point there, preferably the attic. chop out stairs and don't rely on doors - they are expensive and will break - you need ladders.

Dig a mine~shaft under your shelter so you can mine cobblestone during the night and patch up your walls. You need iron forever so gather all the scrap and mine as often as possible.

Game still needs balance and more "stuff" but there is a lot of promise already. Discovering a hastily fortified home and looting it for catfood never gets old.

There are a lot of crafting options in this game, including aesthetic choices. As long as you have a bed and a campfire, you have a lot of leeway in how you decorate your survival pad.

Disclaimer: I don't know how well this game handles lag because I play solo.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

xutech posted:

Disclaimer: I don't know how well this game handles lag because I play solo.

Depends on the quality of the host really. It looks like the game loads the actual land in a fairly long range radius, and then mobs in a shorter radius. Which probably saves on resources and helps prevent connection issues. Wouldn't do anything if someone was trying to host on a 56K connection though.

So some fun (Read: Usually horrifying.) things that have happened since I bought this game. Learned a fair bit about how to play, usually by trial and (hilariously fatal) error. Some highlights for people on the fence about the game:

I joined a high pop server that was nearly tapped out in scavengable resources. This meant that most resources like guns came from fighting zombies, which most newbies had to do barehanded or with very basic gear. :stonk: It also meant every bullet counted. Ended up meeting a guy who decided to join me in barricading a one story townhouse with an attic above the garage. Another guy showed up to trade us some guns in exchange for some blueberry seeds I had gotten my hands on as we were barricading the place to hold it overnight.

He threw in a sawed off shotgun as a freebie on top of the sub-machine gun and crossbow before leaving. Cue a panicked shoot-out and us slowly getting overrun over the course of twenty-five minutes not long after, with us using little holes we knocked in the barricades as areas to shoot at the zombies slowly tearing their way past our defenses into our house.

My partner literally got hit in the face by a blob of acid some zombie vomited on him through one such hole before being ripped apart by a "Spider Zombie" (It can crawl up walls, like Spiderman. :v:) that came through the attic and made some horrifying noises as it attacked. This was moments before the wall behind me caved in and about twenty zombies tore my character apart.

Next server I joined, I learned my lesson. I set up a base on the second story of an apartment building filled with storage. Knocked out the stairs with a sledgehammer, and built a ladder to access it from a window that I got too by climbing onto an awning outside. This time things went swimmingly for about five hours since the zombies literally could not get upstairs to me. The worst I had to deal with was a spider zombie sneaking in one time, and another spider zombie destroying the awning, necessitating some repairs the next day. Then I met a friend while scavenging for some seeds to start a rooftop garden with.

Once I was sure he wasn't going to shoot me (He was a newbie that didn't even know how to craft items.) I took him back to my place. By which point it was dark and the zombies were out in force ripping other buildings apart and generally being noisy.

He started looking around as I explained some of the basics. I hadn't set up a full assortment of torches yet in the non-essential areas of the building, so it was dark in the actual room that he was standing in. About the time I got done explaining crafting I thought I saw cracks on the floor by the toilet in the bathroom (Which he was standing by.), indicating damage to my safe house. After a moment I thought I saw one get bigger right underneath where he was standing. Meanwhile he was oblivious to it, being busy dicking about with the inventory and crafting system.

About the time I opened my chat window to warn him to move the floor gave out and he dropped into a 25 strong swarm of zombies that had gathered in the store below, which pinned him down and ripped him apart. Turns out they had found a way up onto a metal shelf to get close enough to hit the next floor, and were bouncing up and down, slowly hitting the floor with their fists to try and get at him. Oops. Probably wasn't a good introduction to the game. :v:

The game is good fun if you're playing in a group. I could imagine some people setting up an enclave on a larger server and having some real fun interacting with the populace/surviving.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 26, 2013

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

This game sounds pretty amazing, especially with the simple structural physics. Once I get some spare cash to buy it you can count me in for undermining settlements so they collapse into a crater :getin:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I purchased it. Seems really neat since the survival stuff in minecraft was always my favorite bit.

So are server slots reserved when you join or something? Or is this game actually popular enough to support a dozen 30+ constantly full servers?

Edit: Just met a goon in a random game but everything was delayed on my end by like 5 minutes, literally :(

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 26, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

You need to post your griefing story in the OP

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I bought this game on a whim, and it seems rather fun. If I had any idea what I was doing or at least had someone to follow that didn't immediately take a fire axe to my head I think it'd be even more fun. Maybe we should set up a channel in Camping The Stairs or another mumble for people to get together to play?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The griefing story intrigued the hell out of me, I've got my fingers crossed for this to go on a bigger sale since I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat. If it doesn't then I'll nab it at the current price.

I want to build deadly traps and lure all the pubbies in :allears:

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Against my usual policies for buying steam games, I'm buying this one at the slightly discounted price rather then waiting for a full sale price. This game looks pretty interesting. Didn't think much of this at first, but it's actually pretty interesting, since I love survival / scavenging type gameplay.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I holed up in an attic while learning the game. I had a bunch of materials and was loving around with the crafting system while the zombies were clawing around below me (I had blocked off the ladder). Suddenly the whole house collapsed out from under me- reading about it, either the house got too full of zombies or they had broken too many walls. :stonk:

I haven't played much yet, but it seems like a lark. Definitely a game that needs to be played multiplayer for maximum effect.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I holed up in an attic while learning the game. I had a bunch of materials and was loving around with the crafting system while the zombies were clawing around below me (I had blocked off the ladder). Suddenly the whole house collapsed out from under me- reading about it, either the house got too full of zombies or they had broken too many walls. :stonk:

I haven't played much yet, but it seems like a lark. Definitely a game that needs to be played multiplayer for maximum effect.

They can do this if a building gets really screwed up from taking damage. I set up a little rooftop extension on the fourth floor of a building that taught me a bit about how it works.

I was going to use it as a garden and water source once it was done. I thought I was pretty clever until I placed the last block. As I opened my inventory to unload the buckets full of water I had hauled from a nearby river, the thing came apart underneath my character's feet and sent me plummeting to my doom. :stonk:

Lesson learned, so I built it again, except this time I put a single wooden pole in the middle of the platform extending to the ground as a support. Except then a 400 pound overweight zombie came barreling around the corner one night, took out the pole in a fit of rage when it couldn't get to me, and sent me plummeting to my doom again as I was busy planting some blueberries in my garden.

I think next time i'll encase the drat pole in concrete or something. :argh:

Syndlig posted:

I bought this game on a whim, and it seems rather fun. If I had any idea what I was doing or at least had someone to follow that didn't immediately take a fire axe to my head I think it'd be even more fun. Maybe we should set up a channel in Camping The Stairs or another mumble for people to get together to play?

If people can decide on a server to set up at i'll post the link in the OP. In the meantime, if people want to dick around on a semi-private server I can try my hand at hosting a smaller server for goons and any poor bastards that happen to wander in. I just need to figure out how the dedicated server software for this works first.

Bouchacha posted:

You need to post your griefing story in the OP

I didn't want to seem like I was self-advertising my posts or something, so I left it out. Wasn't sure if it was a good idea to include it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 26, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I remember seeing some youtube video of it a while ago. He and his friend had set up in and around an abandoned church. They primarily used barbed wire to defend, several layers and had looted guns to pick off anything that spawned within the area or managed to get through. They eventually built a wooden wall around it with rebar on the inside of the supports that were everywhere. Building strong supports seems to be key in above ground structures or inside of existing ones. (At some point they mentioned one of them falling through the church roof just from standing on the wrong place and having it collapse on him from his own weight)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Set up a server. Instructions on how to get the client working are a bit wonky, so someone will need to tell me if it works. IP should be 72.45.56.195, port should be 1201. Server name is LLJK Hideout if you want to search for it.

Should be a fresh world to mess about in. PVP is on, it's public, and has 20 slots.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
How much of a pain in the rear end is food and water? Do you need to eat and drink 30 times an hour like DayZ/WarZ? If not then I think this could be really drat cool to get on the ground floor of.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

BORK! BORK! posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is food and water? Do you need to eat and drink 30 times an hour like DayZ/WarZ? If not then I think this could be really drat cool to get on the ground floor of.

I set up a game with 24 hours taking 30 minutes. I only needed to eat once in that time. I don't know if that changes depending on how long you setup the 24 taking (x) to a longer time.

*edit*
I also didn't have trouble finding food.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Man, early on nighttime just sucks. :( I usually end up repeatedly dying because I couldn't find a safe place to spend the night.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do all the female Zombies/characters have the Skyrim fetish mod breasts the ones in the screenshots have? They kind of turned me off the game when I first saw it a while back, if that's not the case I'd like to snag it in the sale.

e: as in, is it just a couple of specific models that they chose to showcase or is that the default female model.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 26, 2013

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
I see "early access" on steam and start cringing. On a scale of 1-100, how done is this game? Is most of the fun already there? Is it regularly updated by the developer?

Thanks for the info. in advance.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Splicer posted:

Do all the female Zombies/characters have the Skyrim fetish mod breasts the ones in the screenshots have? They kind of turned me off the game when I first saw it a while back, if that's not the case I'd like to snag it in the sale.

e: as in, is it just a couple of specific models that they chose to showcase or is that the default female model.

There's a bunch of different models. There are one or two that are pretty scantily clad if your fetish is dead women I guess, though. The nurse zombie model in particular comes to mind. It looks like something from an earlier build of the game though. The other models are more "small town America" zombies.

The female PC options aren't stripperific however. It looks like a hillbilly survived the apocalypse. We were cracking up about it earlier, in fact. And the worst other than that is a zombie cheerleader that sometimes shows up among the hordes. She literally is visibly rotting though. There's also conservatively dressed female zombies as well.

Not sure you can call rotting green flesh tantalizing, but the Nexus has taught me to never underestimate depravity. Either way you're spending so much time running away from them that I never really notice it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 26, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

This picture being the first screenshot in steam for the game was what was throwing my alarm bells. If that's the exception rather than the rule then it's just their marketing that I'm baffled by. Cheers!

e: Wait, did you mean there are a few different character models or zombie models? The red cleavage dress, the cheerleader, and the nurse are the only female zombies I can see in any of the steam screenshots, or any of the videos I've just scanned.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 26, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Splicer posted:

This picture being the first screenshot in steam for the game was what was throwing my alarm bells. If that's the exception rather than the rule then it's just their marketing that I'm baffled by. Cheers!

e: Wait, did you mean there are a few different character models or zombie models? The red cleavage dress, the cheerleader, and the nurse are the only female zombies I can see in any of the steam screenshots, or any of the videos I've just scanned.

There's another model in that screenshot that's fairly conservatively dressed, and I think there's a screwed up looking freak model that's not very sexual. Other than that the rest are just color variants of existing models I think. So there are other models, just not very many beyond what's in the screenshots.

Not sure if that qualifies as being over-sexualized, but yeah. I was a little put off of it too until I tried the game out.

Edit: The nurse is a different NPC model. It's the worst of the lot.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 26, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Archonex posted:

There's another model in that screenshot that's fairly conservatively dressed, and I think there's a screwed up looking freak model that's not very sexual. Other than that the rest are just color variants of existing models I think.
I thought the one in blue was the nurse you were talking about? It's not just the clothes, it's also the freakish size that's offputting. That cheerleader looks like she died of blunt force trauma via her own implants. I think I'll be skipping it until they up the number of female zombies such that the boob zombies are infrequent spawns rather than the norm. Thanks for answering so quick, I appreciate it.

To be clear, I'm not trying to passively-aggressively start a sexism debate here. I'm asking a question about an important-to-me aspect of the game before making a purchasing decision. This has been answered adequately and promptly, for which I am grateful.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm really too busy panicking and fleeing blindly in the dark while firing my last few rounds of all my empty guns to notice the state of a corpse's bust.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Dear Diary

I've got so much useless paper, I've got nothing else to do while I cower in the attic of a small home that is now teeming with furious undead and half the walls are ripped out. Noisy but apparently crying in a dark corner works.

Some random barbed wire is all that's left of the 'defenses' and whoever was with me earlier is now gone. There's a zombie standing in the broken wall of the attic doing nothing, like he's reliving Titanic.

Might as well eat some cat food.

(Sorry for the doublepost, but holy poo poo surviving is harrrrd)

So quick tips for anyone just trying it out!

-Stamina means more than how long you sprint. You can punch a zombie in the face all day but if you don't have any stamina it's not going down. More stamina is more damage.

-Where you hit in melee counts too! Strike the head for optimal results. This sounds like a no-brainer, but most games don't care to make the distinction where you hit.

-Zombies will hone in on you like hornets at night. Or, more precisely, they'll hone in to your general location. This means that you can actually hide from them till morning when they slow down. As long as you're not blasting off guns, you should be able to find an elevated area in a building to hide in, assuming they don't see or hear you.

-Sleeping bags are spawn points. Get 6 cloth from about anything. (Smash some couches or tents you find) and you have a portable spawn point. Even if it means dying on top of it, at least you won't have to go all the way from the irradiated starting area.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 26, 2013

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Splicer posted:

I thought the one in blue was the nurse you were talking about? It's not just the clothes, it's also the freakish size that's offputting. That cheerleader looks like she died of blunt force trauma via her own implants. I think I'll be skipping it until they up the number of female zombies such that the boob zombies are infrequent spawns rather than the norm. Thanks for answering so quick, I appreciate it.

To be clear, I'm not trying to passively-aggressively start a sexism debate here. I'm asking a question about an important-to-me aspect of the game before making a purchasing decision. This has been answered adequately and promptly, for which I am grateful.

Really? The reason you are going to pass on this game is because too many of the female zombies, in your opinion, have large breasts?

This game looks like a lot of fun to check out and I have a feeling my group will be doing so, as such here is a mumble I offer up to the thread, could it be added to the OP? I will make channels for this game soon.

vx38.commandchannel.com
Port: 31463

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 26, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Really? The reason you are going to pass on this game is because too many of the female zombies, in your opinion, have large breasts?

Don't ask this, nobody answer this. These sort of questions bring up The Feminism Debate, aka the thread gasser. Some zombies are scantily clad and that's a deal breaker for some, don't drag it out further.

Personally my complaint regarding zombie models is that there are too few in total, hordes are the same dozen or so zombies over and over- but its clear that graphics weren't priority 1 on this game, and it is early in development, so hopefully we will see more variety as time goes on.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Been playing this since the sale, and I'm having a blast with it. I need to find some corn so I can make gas and have my auger go all day and night.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Duck_King posted:

Been playing this since the sale, and I'm having a blast with it. I need to find some corn so I can make gas and have my auger go all day and night.

There is a corn farm in the northern part of the map near Coronado.

If you're having trouble surviving at night, the best holdout spot is actually a bridge. Zombies are hard pressed to destroy metal support beams, and they can't climb them. It takes a little effort to jump onto the beams and jump up them to the top but once you do you really only have to worry about the occasional wasp. I played this a bunch with a buddy and I think our server is on day 150+, so I'm waiting until they implement some new features before dipping back into it.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

There is a corn farm in the northern part of the map near Coronado.

No poo poo? My base is near there. Thanks for the tip!

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
My quest to make a completely safe base is not going amazingly well. I have a two story mansion in the middle of nowhere (near one of the initial spawn points) and I've dug a series of trenches around it with various spiked traps and barbed wire. Unfortunately I arrogantly decided to layer the outside of my house with torches so I get a horde every single night who rampage through my defenses (the first wave dying) and then proceed to try to tear the walls down as I am of course on the second floor. Luckily I have an absurd amount of guns and ammo so I just take potshots all night through the holes in my floor and then rebuild in the morning. :D

I sure hope they don't make the house collapse. :/

Also, dogs need to take a chill pill.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
How well does this run on low to mid-level setups? Sounds like it might be a great game to play co-op with my kids, but of pricey to jump in without a demo available.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

FuSchnick posted:

How well does this run on low to mid-level setups? Sounds like it might be a great game to play co-op with my kids, but of pricey to jump in without a demo available.

Fairly well from what i've seen so far. Though I don't know your specs.

Also, apparently my server is somewhat popular. Only been up for 12 hours and it's half-way to full already. :stare:

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
I'm going to take the dive and buy it for myself, and maybe wait and see if there are any bigger sales before Jan 2nd before getting copies for the kids. Maybe if I can get the Steam Sharing to fricking work I can test it on their hardware too.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Archonex posted:

Fairly well from what i've seen so far. Though I don't know your specs.

Also, apparently my server is somewhat popular. Only been up for 12 hours and it's half-way to full already. :stare:

I've seen some pubs and a guy already killing people. Although it's just for assholery's sake as there's literally no shortage at all of basic food, water, or weapons, and probably won't be till the server's been around for a while.

I might hop on in a while, steal what I can from the big town's "safehouse", and see if we can't find a good place to build our own safe area that doesn't have zombie spawns on the inside of the walls. I suppose the mumble is the only way we have of finding other goons at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So the dedicated client just hard locked my computer when I tried to boot the game client on the same computer. Booting the server back up now. :stare:

Apologies if you got rolled back cause of that. Buildings should be fine, but your inventory should be the same as the last logout you made.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 26, 2013