Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Regarding gunchat, what is the status of cannons in PoE world? More importantly, can I put them on the walls of my Fotress of Doom Stronghold of Eternal Peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Anyone that likes the "what happens when firearms meet The Big Serious Supernatural" theme should read the Instrumentalities of the Night.

(They're by Glen Cook .. the Black Company/ Dread Empire guy).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Disco Infiva posted:

More importantly, can I put them on the walls of my Fotress of Doom Stronghold of Eternal Peace.

Before this post I never knew how incredibly important this was to me.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If we get a fortress with cannons I want the ability to load them with confetti and people.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just want a gun wizard so I can re-enact this scene. (Warning: Spoilers for a 1970's Ralph Bakshi cartoon incoming) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I just want a gun wizard so I can re-enact this scene. (Warning: Spoilers for a 1970's Ralph Bakshi cartoon incoming) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

Avatars actions there at the end are hypocritical of what he was preaching the whole movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Upmarket Mango posted:

Avatars actions there at the end are hypocritical of what he was preaching the whole movie.

That just adds realism.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Sharmat posted:

You'd think a guy with skeleton arms would be less vulnerable to a gun shot.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well maybe if he had a skeleton gut. He didn't get shot in the arms, after all. :colbert:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AXE COP posted:

Hmm yes alignment is totally abstract and up to the DM, that's why there are over five classes and about a million magical items whose mechanics rotate around alignment. Not to mention the class who can lose every single ability because he picked up the wrong helmet.
I don't think I understand any of this.

Most of the magical items that rely on alignment are the ones that are either artifacts from a divine realm or cursed by demons.

Alignment based classes are even mainly given an alignment to hold towards because that was the playstyle that made ideal sense when they wrote for the class, but it is important to remember that originally rangers could only be good aligned, but were later allowed to be neutral and evil as well. The designers had an idea in mind, but I think it is in the privilege of the DM to consort to whether to actually follow this depending on the situation and whether it makes sense or not.

I am not entirely sure what you mean with the last part. Does a paladin lose all his abilities because he accidentally equips a different helmet? Because that isn't written anywhere that I know of.

Jackard posted:

It's easier just to abstract things as Supernaturally Evil, Supernaturally Good, and leave everything else as Unaligned.

That is just simplifying things and I'm not a big fan of oversimplifying for the sake of it.

Outlining is fine, but outright cutting things out to make it simpler has a sad side-effect of making things more shallow as well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mordaedil posted:

Most of the magical items that rely on alignment are the ones that are either artifacts from a divine realm or cursed by demons.

That is just simplifying things and I'm not a big fan of oversimplifying for the sake of it.

Outlining is fine, but outright cutting things out to make it simpler has a sad side-effect of making things more shallow as well.

Just have agentic, communal, self-aligned, and group-aligned. And make some sort of polygonal shaded-area chart for visual reference. And agency factors like for money, or idealism, or stuff.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 25, 2013

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Mordaedil posted:

Alignment based classes are even mainly given an alignment to hold towards because that was the playstyle that made ideal sense when they wrote for the class, but it is important to remember that originally rangers could only be good aligned, but were later allowed to be neutral and evil as well. The designers had an idea in mind, but I think it is in the privilege of the DM to consort to whether to actually follow this depending on the situation and whether it makes sense or not.

I am not entirely sure what you mean with the last part. Does a paladin lose all his abilities because he accidentally equips a different helmet? Because that isn't written anywhere that I know of.

Do you like not understand that an RPG character is more than just what's written on a character sheet, or are you just being willfully obtuse?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Male Man posted:

Do you like not understand that an RPG character is more than just what's written on a character sheet, or are you just being willfully obtuse?

Well, to be fair, for the most part in a video game that's all a character is, unless the developer really goes super all out in creating many many opportunities to express yourself.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
nm - Alignments Alignments Alignments rah rah rah.

They work for our nerdy poo poo.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 25, 2013

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

No because it would mean a regular character (non-demonic, etc) wouldn't have to be defined solely by the nine options available on the alignment table.

There's still no cure for unimaginative players though, which is probably a reason why alignments are as heavily defined as they are (or were. only ever played third ed.)

Edit Addendum: This is p&p chat though, which ideally should be far less strict about rules than a videogame, even though plenty of people still play it like the DMG is the word of God.

Krowley fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 25, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I'm pretty sure they plan to handle the depth of ethical interactions through the "attitude" system or whatever they're calling it, where certain actions/dialogue choices cause you to be known as a Cruel Bastard or a Shining Idealist or whatever, and this affects how people see you and how they treat you. I like that a lot better than a KOTOR type "Light Side/Dark Side" mechanic and it's a hell of a lot more nuanced than the Baldur's Gate reputation system.

The only time I thought alignment was decently done in a game was in Planescape:Torment, but that had its own problems because it must have been a ton of work putting in all those alignment changes in dialogue options, and yet it was mostly a waste because the game almost never checks your alignment.

Paladins should be able to smite anyone if they want to. If they fizzle whenever they try to smite a good person, that kind of ruins the narrative options available for Fallen Paladins and makes the class in general a lot less interesting. The game seems to be going with this, with Paladins being able to Activate Burning Soul Fire X/Day and slap the poo poo out of dudes.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
How about we throw away alignment completely along with any character or creature that relies on it. "Good" and "evil" are dogwhistle phrases and their use as a justification for a entity's behaviour is an excellent litmus test for lazy writing.

e: Well, in fiction they're a litmus test for lazy writing. In the media they're an indicator that you're being sold a bill of goods.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 26, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Paladins should be able to smite anyone if they want to. If they fizzle whenever they try to smite a good person, that kind of ruins the narrative options available for Fallen Paladins and makes the class in general a lot less interesting. The game seems to be going with this, with Paladins being able to Activate Burning Soul Fire X/Day and slap the poo poo out of dudes.
The limitations on smiting etc in games where the premise is "calling the power from its actual source, the unseen divine servants of your god/goddess" the mechanic made sense because the power would (generally) not be granted just because the Paladin was in a bad mood and wanted to smite the barkeep.

In PE we dont entirely know how the metaphysic/pantheon will work so (so far) anything goes.

This: "Paladins being able to ... slap the poo poo out of dudes." was never supposed to be the tone of (original) DnD Paladins. Their whole gimmick was "trying to be paragons of whatever".

If you allowed holy warriors to be created in service to various gods/goddesses (we did) then you might get the slaphappy one you want. (Servant of the war god, or tyranny/conquest, etc...)

coffeetable posted:

How about we throw away alignment completely along with any character or creature that relies on it. "Good" and "evil" are dogwhistle phrases and their use as a justification for a entity's behaviour is an excellent litmus test for lazy writing.

e: Well, in fiction they're a litmus test for lazy writing. In the media they're an indicator that you're being sold a bill of goods.
I like stories that dont use Good vs Evil, DnD was good at being DnD. Complaining that DnD was not "some other game" is silly.

As far as lazy goes, it was not had to make some high-effort complex storylines in DnD. Lazy people will be lazy no matter what toys you give them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Two and a half pages of alignmentchat in a thread for a game that uses a reputation system.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FRINGE posted:

In PE we dont entirely know how the metaphysic/pantheon will work so (so far) anything goes.

In Eternity, based on what little we know about them, their anime-esque burning spirits are so committed to the cause that they literally generate energy to burn people with. It doesn't come from the gods.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Two and a half pages of alignmentchat in a thread for a game that uses a reputation system.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People have very strong opinions on the mechanics of elfgames.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I do want to know more about the reputation system. I would assume there's some sort of faction-based tracker and an attitude based one, right? This is important: Can I be a smartass to people waaaaaaay more powerful than me and dodge the consequences if I'm competent?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

VanSandman posted:

I do want to know more about the reputation system. I would assume there's some sort of faction-based tracker and an attitude based one, right? This is important: Can I be a smartass to people waaaaaaay more powerful than me and dodge the consequences if I'm competent?

Are you planning on playing a wizard named Harry Dresden, by chance?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A good reason to be a strength wizard, I imagine. Harry's not always very bright, but he can bench 800 pounds. He also gets his rear end kicked constantly (runs out of Stamina) but always manages to make it to the end of the adventure even when everyone else can't (high Health).

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Um so my favourite thing in BG and IWD was to make Brett Riverboat, knifeman. Can I make a burly dude in PoE who gibs skeletons with knives?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

VanSandman posted:

From the way rope kid has described it, I think the point is that different NPCs will react to your disposition flags positively or negatively, so there won't be 'dodging consequences' as such. You're taking whatever positives you get in interactions with NPCs your character meshes with in contrast with negatives from NPCs who don't. Obsidian's design philosophy has demonstrably trended towards (at least ideally, and I think in New Vegas it was largely effective) making every character building investment pay off in the world in a meaningful way, but also that there aren't any obvious skills or attributes to omit. If you play a New Vegas character with high Speech or Science skills, there are a lot of questlines that reward you for those investments but some that would be easier if you invested heavier in combat skills or Repair or what have you.

In effect, you don't dodge consequences, you just take the good with the bad in different contexts.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Lotish posted:

A good reason to be a strength wizard, I imagine. Harry's not always very bright, but he can bench
That dude is the 800 pound gorilla of magical might in that world. They really highlight this in the one where hes semi-dead and realizes how all the other people view him, and realizes how much the world changes just because he is there and everything is afraid of him.

Hes also pretty crafty.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Welcome to Whose Game Is It Anyway? where the stat names are made up and points don't matter.

This next one is for Bargle and Aleena and it's called "Cast Detect Sympathy". Audience, can I get a faction you wouldn't want to meet in a bar?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

DeepQantas posted:

Welcome to Whose Game Is It Anyway? where the stat names are made up and points don't matter.

This next one is for Bargle and Aleena and it's called "Cast Detect Sympathy". Audience, can I get a faction you wouldn't want to meet in a bar?

Khorne worshipers.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Re: Gunchat - I kind of hope guns aren't just a (subpar/superior) alternative to longbows or slings or crossbows or whatever, and instead have a bit more flavor to them. Like, if we're dealing with low tech early guns, maybe pistols should be one shot short range (like, barely longer than polearm range), high damage tools with a huge bonus to sneak attack damage for rogues? A high Str rogue could carry a bunch of guns because they can't be reloaded effectively In combat. A Blunderbuss meanwhile is the aoe alternative to the longbow - lower damage, less range, but high spread of targets, or whatever.

Games where guns are just new models for bows with different sound effects and either much better damage or much worse damage or worst of all only good damage with a bunch of otherwise mediocre chardev choices is dumb.

Guns being bad against armor and strong against force fields while traditional weapons are vice versa is a start, but I hope we can go further than that, because otherwise it's just a Str/Inventory tax.

FRINGE posted:

Option B would be an IWW rep Old One. Privatize THIS plutocrat scum!
(Wobblies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Workers_of_the_World)

I want this to be a real thing.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I'll be honest: I want a railgun. Wait, no: the lodestone-amber cannon!

Phew, sufficiently olde.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SurrealityCheck posted:

I'll be honest: I want a railgun. Wait, no: the lodestone-amber cannon!

Phew, sufficiently olde.

Only usable by a Muscle Wizard and Gunbarian working as a team.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Only usable by a Muscle Wizard and Gunbarian working as a team.

"You get two muscular souls, see, and rub them together until their elan vital forms opposite psychic charges. Then, when the eidolon potential is high enough you mount them either side of a pair of large metal prongs..."

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CaptainPsyko posted:

Guns being bad against armor and strong against force fields while traditional weapons are vice versa is a start, but I hope we can go further than that, because otherwise it's just a Str/Inventory tax.

Shouldn't that the be the opposite? Guns were really good against medieval armor weren't they? Which is why the royalty and knights hated them. Any peasant with a musket could gently caress up your shiny plate/ring mail, at a fraction of the cost and training.

Making Pistols something you don't wield, but instead use from a (strenght-scaling-number-of) inventory slot would be neat. That's a way to give direct combat power (but only a fixed amount per engagement) to Strength-based characters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not sure about that. The term bulletproof actually comes from craftsmen using a musket on their breastplates before they sold one, so that it had a dent in it: The "proof" that it could stop a bullet.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Lotish posted:

Not sure about that. The term bulletproof actually comes from craftsmen using a musket on their breastplates before they sold one, so that it had a dent in it: The "proof" that it could stop a bullet.

Yeah, very much depends on the armour. For most of the early history of man-portable firearms, crossbows were significantly more dangerous to a man in armour (and also more dangerous than bows).

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 26, 2013

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

CaptainPsyko posted:

If I remember correctly, guns in PoE are powerful and good against wizard's arcane veil, but inaccurate and slow.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SurrealityCheck posted:

Yeah, very much depends on the armour. For most of the early history of man-portable firearms, crossbows were significantly more dangerous to a man in armour (and also more dangerous than bows, too).

Oh yeah Crossbows were hated too - A Pope even banned them because it really let the poor gently caress up the rich.
I wonder if PoE is going to have extra armor penetration for crossbows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Disco Infiva posted:

If I remember correctly, guns in PoE are powerful and good against wizard's arcane veil, but inaccurate and slow.

Sounds like you want to use them to stun a wizard or knock out his defenses and then close to kill.

• Locked thread