Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

mojo1701a posted:

I'm as patriotic as the next Canadian (not very), and I really have to admit that most of our whiskies are not good ones. We really do use them mostly for mixing in coke. Having said that, Forty Creek is decent, as is in my opinion Canadian Club Sherry Cask (probably because it's different than most of the stuff that we have).

Someone, a few posts up mentioned Whistlepig which is Canadiaish made and that's a pretty delicious product. I have no quarrel with Canada, just the brown stuff they call whisky :).

I will pick up a bottle of Forty Creek next time I'm in the store though since it's been mentioned a few times.

I've heard good things about Masterson's. Isn't that Canadiaish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Anyone having a nice dram this Christmas Eve?
I've got to polish off some Glenfarclas 17, then it'll be on one (maybe) from Glendronach 18, Springbank 15 and a Karuizawa.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
I've got a fresh bottle of Aberlour A'Bunanh waiting for me tonight.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Fried salmon with Lagavulin DE <3

Find some chocolate to go with that A'Bunadh.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody had Angel's Envy Rye finished in Caribbean Rum barrels? Thoughts?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

We just call any Canadian whisky "rye". The only real Canadian whisky made from 100% rye is Alberta Premium. It's good, but it smells like almost nothing but ethanol.

It's excellent stuff with some age on it. (Whistlepig)

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

biglads posted:

I've got to polish off some Glenfarclas 17, then it'll be on one (maybe) from Glendronach 18, Springbank 15 and a Karuizawa.

At the in-laws but I keep a bottle of Bulleit Rye here as a backup. Right now, having a beer but later I'll probably pour a couple fingers of the rye.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
I know Christmas Dinner, I will sampling with my Dad and Grandfather, 12, 15 and 18 y/o Glen Livit. (Cause those three bottles are my Dad's xmas gift from me)

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My wife ordered me to use up the last of our Taiwan dollars at the duty free shop before we came home. Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 (~$75) and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (~$38) after trying a couple of small sips at 8:30 am. I am not sure if I made out on the prices, but scotch selection in Okinawa is fairly limited so... :neckbeard:

Lagavulin 16 is great for when you want peat, but you want something with a sophisticated, measured flavor.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban on the other hand, just turned my wife into a newbie Scotch drinker.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Marshall Louis posted:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban on the other hand, just turned my wife into a newbie Scotch drinker.

My dad is not a Scotch man. But I bought another bottle of the QR and he and I finished it off at the in-laws' house over dinner. This was after the Balvenie DW from last week. I gotta keep getting these "fruity" finished Scotches for him. Maybe let him try some of my peated Scotches and see how a little liquid smoke goes over :).

I did buy him a bottle of Four Roses bourbon but he just drank all my whiskey...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

spankmeister posted:

It's excellent stuff with some age on it. (Whistlepig)

Can't seem to find it on the LCBO's website. From what I can tell, it's an American whiskey and the LCBO unfortunately doesn't stock a lot of those.

To the LCBO's credit, their selection of bourbons has been increasing lately. I never used to be able to find anything better than Gentleman Jack or sometimes Bulleit. Now I'm seeing more of the stuff you guys mention (though no American rye whiskey).

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

biglads posted:

Yep, decided to revist the Ardbeg Uigeadail since I haven't had any for a while. It's still good stuff.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I picked up a bottle of Talisker 10 last weekend. I only tried a small amount so far, it's good but I'm not sure I like it as much as Ardbeg 10... I'll give it another shot tonight and try to figure out exactly what I'm missing here.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

Can't seem to find it on the LCBO's website. From what I can tell, it's an American whiskey and the LCBO unfortunately doesn't stock a lot of those.

To the LCBO's credit, their selection of bourbons has been increasing lately. I never used to be able to find anything better than Gentleman Jack or sometimes Bulleit. Now I'm seeing more of the stuff you guys mention (though no American rye whiskey).

The LCBO has started picking up some decent American ryes in the past few months. I have managed to pick up Sazeraz Rye and Knob Creek rye, which are both nice American ryes. They are not the most common, but they are popping up here an there.

Also, Rittenhouse is now at the LCBO, which makes 3 viable options.

Devoz fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 25, 2013

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Marshall Louis posted:

My wife ordered me to use up the last of our Taiwan dollars at the duty free shop before we came home. Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 (~$75) and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (~$38) after trying a couple of small sips at 8:30 am. I am not sure if I made out on the prices, but scotch selection in Okinawa is fairly limited so... :neckbeard:

Lagavulin 16 is great for when you want peat, but you want something with a sophisticated, measured flavor.

If you saw Kavalan, you would have been in for a treat. It's a Taiwanese whisky and quite delicious. The style is in the same vein as Japanese Whiskies.

That said, that's not a bad price for Lagavulin 16. It's a little high but if you can get it for under $80, you're not getting completely screwed.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...
I got my husband a bottle of Arran 12 yr cask strength and some glencairn glasses for Christmas. With a little water, I really enjoy it. It definitely has creamy and salty notes, and the longer I let it sit the more I tasted some vanilla. Not quite peaty enough for my taste, but it's still very enjoyable. We're starting to build our bar up a bit at home and now have Bunnahabhain 12 yr, the Arran, and some Johnny Walker Blue we got for our wedding. We had a bottle of Peat Monster until we took it to share at an office party and one of his coworkers finished it off with Coke because it tasted "too much like a fire."

Deleuzionist posted:

Tried Macallan 12yo Fine Oak because the bar I was in was stocking it. While it was nothing grand it's definitely a much better product than the 1824 Gold that's supposed to have replaced it.

I tried this last week for the same reason, and I had the same impression. It was fine, but it wasn't something I would buy again. I also tried the Belvanie Peated Cask 17 Yr last week and loved it. Has anyone had the new Belvanie 12 Yr or the Caribbean Cask? One of my coworkers recommended the Caribbean Cask, but it sounds like it would end up being pretty sweet.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

...one of *my* coworkers *also* recommended the Caribbean cask. You don't work at my company, right? ;)

It sounded too sweet to my taste, too, but yeah I'd like to hear an answer, too.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

silvergoose posted:

...one of *my* coworkers *also* recommended the Caribbean cask. You don't work at my company, right? ;)

It sounded too sweet to my taste, too, but yeah I'd like to hear an answer, too.

I work at a coffee and wine shop that also sells delicious liquor at some of its other locations (not my store, sadly, but they're all within the same city). If that sounds familiar, well, the world is smaller than I thought.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Here is my December season (birthday + Crimbo) haul all lined up, looking pretty. Sampling the Quinta Ruban as we speak.

Merry Christmas!

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 25, 2013

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

justasmile posted:

I work at a coffee and wine shop that also sells delicious liquor at some of its other locations (not my store, sadly, but they're all within the same city). If that sounds familiar, well, the world is smaller than I thought.

Anope. Sounds interesting though.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

justasmile posted:

Has anyone had the new Belvanie 12 Yr or the Caribbean Cask? One of my coworkers recommended the Caribbean Cask, but it sounds like it would end up being pretty sweet.

I got the Carribean Cask at Costco a couple years ago. I didn't like it, I couldn't put my finger on why. Maybe a little sweet. I drank it all so it wasn't terrible. It just wasn't my favorite.

For reference I currently drink and like Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 Quarter cask and cask strength and have also had and liked Highland park 10, 12, 18, glenfarclas 10, and i cant remember what else. The carribean cask was like none of these

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

silvergoose posted:

Caribbean cask is wonderful, but quite sweet. I think better balanced than the doublewood, and you really get the molasses notes from the rum Cask. it is a scotch that is equally at home in the summer as in the winter. i feel like i'm sipping a daiquiri, but you know, scotch. the extra 2 years it has on the port doublewood really smoothes it over though

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013
Was trying to find a Suntory Whisky at request of a friend today; three stores later and they not only don't have the Suntory, but also not any Yamazaki or Hibiki for months. Anyone know why the sudden popularity?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Zatheria posted:

Was trying to find a Suntory Whisky at request of a friend today; three stores later and they not only don't have the Suntory, but also not any Yamazaki or Hibiki for months. Anyone know why the sudden popularity?
Hmm where is "Suntory" branded whisky actually sold? I think only Yamazaki, Hibiki, and Hakushu are offered here in the US. To answer the second part of the question, whisky popularity has been on the rise for a couple of decades and it's accelerated in the past ~5 years to levels beyond crazy. I imagine a much bigger share of Suntory's output is staying inside their own borders these days.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 27, 2013

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013
This would explain why I couldn't find it - it was supposed to be a blend named "Suntory Whiskey" that my friend had at a Japanese restaurant (here in the US) that was a blend of Yamazaki and Hibiki.

Regardless, BevMo and Total Wine in California both said they won't have any Yamazaki for months, with Total Wine saying not until June due to demand. Not experienced in Japanese whiskies, just curious at the sudden surge in popularity.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I really like peaty scotch and was pretty excited to try Ardbeg 10 year when I got a bottle for Christmas.

But it's just too . . . burnt for me. Any hint of complexity was immediately overwhelmed by a bitter, ash flavour that lingered on the sides of my tongue. When I cut it down with water, I was able to appreciate it a bit more, but the dry-mouth, bitter feel it gave me just wasn't pleasant compared to something like Laphroaig.

Is there something I'm missing? I really wanted to like Ardbeg.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Zatheria posted:

Regardless, BevMo and Total Wine in California both said they won't have any Yamazaki for months, with Total Wine saying not until June due to demand. Not experienced in Japanese whiskies, just curious at the sudden surge in popularity.
I'm 100% sure I saw both Yamazaki 12 and Hibiki 12 at my local BevMo a little over a week ago. K&L has stock indicated by its real-time inventory. It's really only Yamazaki 18 that is questionably hard to find right now, but it looks like Beltramo's has that too for $155 (ugh.) So that covers the Bay Area and LA since K&L ships back and forth between stores for free.

Segue posted:

I really like peaty scotch and was pretty excited to try Ardbeg 10 year when I got a bottle for Christmas.

But it's just too . . . burnt for me. Any hint of complexity was immediately overwhelmed by a bitter, ash flavour that lingered on the sides of my tongue. When I cut it down with water, I was able to appreciate it a bit more, but the dry-mouth, bitter feel it gave me just wasn't pleasant compared to something like Laphroaig.

Is there something I'm missing? I really wanted to like Ardbeg.
Nope, not missing anything. Generally speaking, Ardbeg's got a slightly grungier smoke to Laphroaig's iodine/seaweed. Laphroaig also has a simpler barley sugar sweetness to it. Try Kilchoman if you want an Islay closer to Laphroaig. Try Ardmore too, it's got some similarities despite being a Speyside. Other than that you could try Compass Box Peat Monster, which is a vatting of mostly Ardmore, Laphroaig and Caol Ila.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 27, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got a bottle of Stagg Jr for Christmas. Has anyone tried it?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

kidsafe posted:

Hmm where is "Suntory" branded whisky actually sold? I think only Yamazaki, Hibiki, and Hakushu are offered here in the US. To answer the second part of the question, whisky popularity has been on the rise for a couple of decades and it's accelerated in the past ~5 years to levels beyond crazy. I imagine a much bigger share of Suntory's output is staying inside their own borders these days.

Are you talking about kakubin (the yellow turtle bottle)? I don't think I've seen it outside of Asia.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really enjoyed WL Weller 12, what else would be up that alley?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really enjoyed WL Weller 12, what else would be up that alley?
Other Wellers and most other Buffalo Trace bourbons would be straight down that alley.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

Are you talking about kakubin (the yellow turtle bottle)? I don't think I've seen it outside of Asia.

Yeah, this was what my friend was asking me to find. He described it as a yellow bottle that just says Suntory Whiskey on it.

kidsafe posted:

I'm 100% sure I saw both Yamazaki 12 and Hibiki 12 at my local BevMo a little over a week ago. K&L has stock indicated by its real-time inventory. It's really only Yamazaki 18 that is questionably hard to find right now, but it looks like Beltramo's has that too for $155 (ugh.) So that covers the Bay Area and LA since K&L ships back and forth between stores for free.

I'm going to have to check out this K&L and take a looksee. Seemingly travelling all over southern california for a whiskey - not a bad use of time..

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Zatheria posted:

I'm going to have to check out this K&L and take a looksee. Seemingly travelling all over southern california for a whiskey - not a bad use of time..
I guess I need to clarify, K&L's bay area locations have Yamazaki 12, but not their Hollywood location. You can get it shipped to the Hollywood location for pickup...usually only takes a couple of days.

You could also go big and order this instead.

EDIT: Just checked 20/20's prices... :rolleyes:

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

kidsafe posted:

I guess I need to clarify, K&L's bay area locations have Yamazaki 12, but not their Hollywood location. You can get it shipped to the Hollywood location for pickup...usually only takes a couple of days.

You could also go big and order this instead.

EDIT: Just checked 20/20's prices... :rolleyes:

I'm a fan of their description : "We got one whole bottle for the year! Extremely limited!".

This thread is the first time I've heard of K&L - I've basically been buying whisky from either BevMo, Total Wine, and Costco here in SoCal/OC and don't really know other places, what other chains are good to check out?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

K&L is the best. I order 90% of my stuff from them because:
A) their prices are generally cheaper than bevmo even taking into account the 5% discount you get at bevmo for spending $200
B) their products are generally better curated and better quality
C) they will ship anything to their stores for free
D) one of their stores is a 10 minute walk from where I work

Love it. You should also check out the blog by their spirits purveyor, David Driscoll. Great content and helpful for keeping on top of what new great products they have. http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

biglads posted:

A friend got me the Compass Box gift pack out of the blue, I've tried the Peat Monster (which in retrospect I maybe should have saved), the Spice Tree (definitely lives up to the name), and Hedonism (wonderful toffee and coconut flavors). I realized I'm not saying anything that isn't on the label but they were really enjoyable and made me seriously consider picking up some CB bottles in the near future.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've just got a nice OMC 11 year old Bunnahabhain that is rich and fruity and reminds me a bit of their old 18 year old that changed out of all recognition when they changed it to NCF (lots less sherry influence).

I'm on my way to Brora where the nice people at Clynelish distillery said they'd open up for me and the wife to have a nose around despite them being closed. I think they sell a Cask Strength distillery only bottling that just might have to be bought.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Whistlepig is bottled in Vermont, but is distilled at Alberta Distillers in Calgary, it's basically a very good version of Alberta Premium, in a sense.

Jeffersons Reserve Rye is the same stuff, at lower proof and considerably lower price.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

kidsafe posted:

Other Wellers and most other Buffalo Trace bourbons would be straight down that alley.

I was looking for something more specific. I don't really know much about whisky yet other than tasting something and describing it as "smooth" or "smokey." I think Weller's 12 was both of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was looking for something more specific. I don't really know much about whisky yet other than tasting something and describing it as "smooth" or "smokey." I think Weller's 12 was both of that.

Well Weller is a "wheater", meaning that the secondary grain is wheat not rye. Other wheaters are larceny and Maker's Mark.