Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DJ Commie posted:

I really like my Lincoln Weld-Pak 140 from Home Depot. Its a cheaper machine (got it on sale for $450), but 120V is pretty useful since I have a 220V/250A Miller stick welder for heavy duty stuff. I usually run .030 fluxcore in the 140, I haven't leased a bottle yet and made the move to MIG.

I have the next one down and it's decent, even when not quite using it to its full potential because my garage only has 15A breakers. FCAW is perfectly acceptable; it takes a bit more work to make pretty than MIG, but works better in a breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just snagged a HF 1/2" clicker torque wrench for 12$, coupons are on the mailing list

revmoo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 28, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Thinking of buying this small drill press and scroll saw from Harbor Freight to build small enclosures from MDF, birch plywood, acrylic, and maybe aluminum. Anyone used them and have comments? I'm not expecting anything of fantastic quality, but am hoping to get something I can use in a spare room without dropping a ton of money. I don't have a garage or area for a real shop unfortunately.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just ordered something from Home Depot to pick up in store, then got a cancellation with a note that if I used a gift card I'll get a second email with a store credit thing.

I have not gotten that 8 hours later - and I did not get an explanation of why it was cancelled. What a terrible way to treat my order. I had a whole plan to go pick it up on my way home too. Emailed customer service but haven't gotten a response.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Home Depot's in-store stock tracking can be a little "fuzzy" sometimes, especially once an item gets to single digits. When the employee went to pull your item, it probably wasn't on the shelf. You might have better luck at a different location.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

eddiewalker posted:

Home Depot's in-store stock tracking can be a little "fuzzy" sometimes, especially once an item gets to single digits. When the employee went to pull your item, it probably wasn't on the shelf. You might have better luck at a different location.

Thats what I'm thinking too :(

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!

mod sassinator posted:

Thinking of buying this small drill press and scroll saw from Harbor Freight to build small enclosures from MDF, birch plywood, acrylic, and maybe aluminum. Anyone used them and have comments? I'm not expecting anything of fantastic quality, but am hoping to get something I can use in a spare room without dropping a ton of money. I don't have a garage or area for a real shop unfortunately.

I have that exact scroll saw and what seems to be the same drill press except with a keyless chuck. I use them primarily for cutting and drilling kydex for holsters and making pinewood derby cars. No complaints about either. Both have worked great. Even the blades that came with the scroll saw have worked well for me but once they wear out I would probably buy better quality ones.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I ran by a store earlier and was really impressed with both of them. The drill press in particular has nice smooth motion and feels really solid. With coupons each one is a little over $50 which seems like a bargain. Will be picking them up later this week.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Any recommendations for a 12v portable air compressor I can keep in the car for filling tires?

I find them useful from time to time, but I don't think I've ever had a decent one. Most of them I've used struggle and overheat to get to 32 psi. I've got a Slime tire and raft inflater that seems ok, but the connector is one of those right angle with a locking lever things that seems to be a bit too small to go onto a valve stem so you end up loosing 5psi when trying to yank the thing off and the gasket inside appears to be getting torn up on the threads.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've gotten this one off of amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012WHBSO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't picked it up yet but the reviews seemed really positive so I figured I'd give it a go. Once I pick it up I'll try it out and let you know how it is.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Brigdh posted:

Any recommendations for a 12v portable air compressor I can keep in the car for filling tires?

I find them useful from time to time, but I don't think I've ever had a decent one. Most of them I've used struggle and overheat to get to 32 psi. I've got a Slime tire and raft inflater that seems ok, but the connector is one of those right angle with a locking lever things that seems to be a bit too small to go onto a valve stem so you end up loosing 5psi when trying to yank the thing off and the gasket inside appears to be getting torn up on the threads.

The MV50 gets very positive reviews on off-road boards that I frequent. http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-High-Volume-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Kastivich posted:

The MV50 gets very positive reviews on off-road boards that I frequent. http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-High-Volume-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8

I really like my MV50. It fills tires super fast, and is pretty rugged (mine works great even after being in a flood). My only complaint is that it's loud, but that's going to be true for any small compressor.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I am now the proud owner of the Milwaukee Fuel M18 High Torque impact wrench.

All I need now are some bolts to break all over the place.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Put it to a real test and do some junkyard raids with Kastein and the other NEAI goons. The photos they've posted in the past look like Dante's unmentioned 8th level of hell for gearheads.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Kastivich posted:

I like mine, I tapped out the holes to 1/4"NPT and run it plumbed as onboard air with a 5gal tank. Fills my 32" tires pretty quickly, for what it is.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Which ones are these?

I'm looking for the design of that bottom one (flex head, 80 tooth?) in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive - preferably appropriate relative sizes (short 1/4, medium 3/8, long 1/2, basically). Everytime I look at the snap-on site, though, my eyes kind of glaze over and I get bored.
(This is from a while back, but I've made some progress and wanted advice...)

I've gotten a TF72 1/4" ratchet from eBay, and an FCF72 3/8" ratchet from Snap-On, both the Dual 80 models. I'm trying to still figure out which 1/2" to get - I was leaning toward the SX80B, but I don't necessarily think I need the Dual 80 for the larger wrench. Are there other (older?) models I should be looking for? (Part numbers would be ideal.) I'm fine with buying used if it's a savings (it was about 30% off with the 1/4", for example) but also with buying new if not (the 3/8").

General use case, this is going to stay in the 4x4 and be used off-road. I have access to other tools (really a full shop) for most maintenance and stuff, but would obviously use this at home/whatever if needed.

Would one of the FOD models be a good idea, since it's offroad, or is that overkill? (poo poo, should I have gotten the other two in FOD?)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd say that FOD is overkill for anything non-aerospace.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, have you ever had a ratchet come apart on you? If not, no need for the "indivisible assembly" of the FOD tools, and even if you have, taking out the screws and refitting them with Loctite would probably be sufficient.

Why do you think you need them?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Not overkill, that implies that it's somehow better. It's the exact same tool, just with the cover glued/welded on. FOD control is about keeping your ratchet from dropping bits into a jet engine, not keeping debris out of the tool.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

oxbrain posted:

Not overkill, that implies that it's somehow better. It's the exact same tool, just with the cover glued/welded on. FOD control is about keeping your ratchet from dropping bits into a jet engine, not keeping debris out of the tool.
Got it, this is what I needed to know. I was thinking it would help keep dirt out of the tool, which could come in handy in the desert, but if this is the case ... don't need it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
drat you I just bought a TX72 because you post reminded me how much I disliked the fixed handle on my TL72 and love the flex of my FX80.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

the spyder posted:

drat you I just bought a TX72 because you post reminded me how much I disliked the fixed handle on my TL72 and love the flex of my FX80.
Sorry, dude. At least it'll probably be worth it! :)

These should be a nice change for me. My current 3/8" ratchets are lovely Craftsman (like out of their socket sets), and my 1/4" is a slightly less but still quite lovely Stanley.

My 1/2" I'm not as bothered by because it's a decent Craftsman (as in, it wasn't part of a set), but I'd still like to get a nice one.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I did the same thing, started with the 300 piece Craftsman set, except I bought a Craftsman professional 3/8 and 1/2 before I bought my Snap-On's. I hated the Craftsman and love the Snap-On's, but I never bought a 1/2 because I have impact guns and a breaker bar for anything that large. After using my friends I kinda want an older 936 flex head just because.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Torque wrenches: should I just get whatever's best rated on Amazon (~$50) or go to Harbor Freight?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blk posted:

Torque wrenches: should I just get whatever's best rated on Amazon (~$50) or go to Harbor Freight?

HF all the way. A goon did some really excellent comparison tests of major torque wrenches a few years back and the HF stuff stands up to ones that cost 4 times as much.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

blk posted:

Rhyno posted:

HF all the way. A goon did some really excellent comparison tests of major torque wrenches a few years back and the HF stuff stands up to ones that cost 4 times as much.

Pretty much this. Some HF hand tools are useful. Mos t are trash, but they all have a lifetime warranty.. even the $3 socket sets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

Pretty much this. Some HF hand tools are useful. Mos t are trash, but they all have a lifetime warranty.. even the $3 socket sets.

For what it's worth, I've broken more Craftsman sockets than I have HF. And they don't want to replace them half the time.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

West SAAB Story posted:

I'd have to see the experiment and data from this before I trusted this advice. I personally wouldn't trust HF for any precision instrumentation or tooling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rcman50166 posted:

I'd have to see the experiment and data from this before I trusted this advice. I personally wouldn't trust HF for any precision instrumentation or tooling.

This thread is 5 years old, it's probably here.

Edit: Pictures are gone but here it is

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&pagenumber=67&perpage=40#post378953733

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 6, 2014

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My wife got me a Mountain brand one off of Amazon for Christmas since it was on my wishlist. Only downside is that it's 1/2" drive and I don't have as many 1/2" sockets as I thought I did :v:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

QuarkMartial posted:

My wife got me a Mountain brand one off of Amazon for Christmas since it was on my wishlist. Only downside is that it's 1/2" drive and I don't have as many 1/2" sockets as I thought I did :v:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-impact-socket-adapter-set-67936.html

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

This thread is 5 years old, it's probably here.

Edit: Pictures are gone but here it is

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&pagenumber=67&perpage=40#post378953733

Thanks for the link. It sounds like what he did was an empirical test to measure inital torque tolerance. As an experiment to measure torque, it seems like it is a decent test, with reasonable room for improvement, but unfortunately as I mentioned before it's not the only determining factor to the quality of a torque wrench.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What are your criteria beyond "consistently works correctly"? Genuinely curious.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
For lug nuts and suspension bolts my HF 1/2 drive clicker has been fine. Same goes for the 3/8 version. For 10 dollars with a coupon, you can't really go wrong. All three of mine were made in Taiwan, they seem to be of decent quality.

If I was building a motor I would buy a CDI, it's basically a Snap-on wrench for less $.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rcman50166 posted:

Thanks for the link. It sounds like what he did was an empirical test to measure inital torque tolerance. As an experiment to measure torque, it seems like it is a decent test, with reasonable room for improvement, but unfortunately as I mentioned before it's not the only determining factor to the quality of a torque wrench.

Well I smashed a bunch of windshields with mine and it still works fine.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

For UK goons someone mentioned the halfords advanced professional sets earlier on in the thread. Well they're now better than half price;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862463_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

£249.99 socket set for £109.99

I got mine recently and they feel like excellent tools. Lifetime guarantee too;

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Strawberry posted:

For lug nuts and suspension bolts my HF 1/2 drive clicker has been fine. Same goes for the 3/8 version. For 10 dollars with a coupon, you can't really go wrong. All three of mine were made in Taiwan, they seem to be of decent quality.

If I was building a motor I would buy a CDI, it's basically a Snap-on wrench for less $.

Pretty much this. We have a calibrated electronic torque stand at work at the tool issue station, so I bring in my HF wrenches now and then to check them against it and they're always impressively close. And if you need to torque something more sensitive like building a motor, you can pick up CDI torque wrenches on Amazon for $100-130, and they make torque wrenches for snap-on.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cancelbot posted:

For UK goons someone mentioned the halfords advanced professional sets earlier on in the thread. Well they're now better than half price;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862463_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

Nice deal! I got the next set down for £80 last month. The quality is great, and Halfords have always been great with me for returns.

I had a grade 10.9 M16 nut/bolt seize on me on a site a few weeks ago. I used a 1/2" Halfords ratchet with a 10' length of 2" scaffolding pipe over the end of it. It me standing on the other end of the pipe to shear the bolt head off. The ratchet was fine. These tools are surprisingly sturdy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cancelbot posted:

I got mine recently and they feel like excellent tools. Lifetime guarantee too;

Oh man, that is such a nice set for such little money. I really hate that I cannot justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

Oh man, that is such a nice set for such little money. I really hate that I cannot justify it.

Quoting this.

Also, is the advantage of crows-foot wrenches that you can either put a ratchet or your biggest breaker bar on them or do they have a special use?