Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Dunno-Lars posted:

I have had far more crashes to desktop lately then the error screen. Its poo poo, but true. You have to locate the modpack folder and find the crash report, which is more then I expect from your average Joe minecrafter.

Yeah, I've had far more crashes to desktop than crashes that give a proper error screen this year. I've had loads of crashes that went straight to desktop caused by Artifice, for example, before I finally just took it out of the pack I'm using (after checking to make sure the bug was already reported on the tracker, of course). When that sucker crashes, it hard locks for about 15 seconds then just closes - like someone killed Java in task manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:
Looks like I stopped lurking this thread just long enough to miss the invite to Wylker's server. Is that offer still open?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have some questions in Hexxit, regarding dimensional door travel, and swords.

For dimensional doors, I wondered if I could have have doors from various areas in various dimensions wind up in a small area in my pocket portal, basically using it as a transit hub. If nobody knows, the best I can ponder there is to screw around creating rifts with the rift blade rift signatures, with one end in the overworld/nether/end/fairy forest/whatever and the other in a spot in my pocket dimension. I assume it will work but I'd honestly rather ask on the Internet and understand the caveats then start screwing up everything.

The other has to do with crafting up an appropriate sword. While doing a 3km overworld round-trip, my standby sword just disappeared from my inventory. I have no idea what happened. It was just a diamond sword with Fire Aspect I, but it was doing a decent job with all my overworld antics. I found another diamond sword that had Bane of the Anthropods IV on it, and I use that when spiders are around because I hate spiders*. I was thinking it was about time I made a better standby word for playing around in the Nether and raiding. I have a good pile of alloys, lots of meteor stuff, essences out my rear end, a working understanding of smelting, an enchanting table with the max books, and an anvil. If it comes down to weapon type, I rarely block.

*The spider combat mechanics in this game are really screwed up. They all end up just kind of floating above me, darting down quickly and up even faster. And then in the middle of all that you just get randomly damaged. Then they fall for one damage, which renders them invulnerable for half a second, so I can't even hit them. Then they hit me again. Poisonous spiders are the worst because that's an automatic 3 hearts down right there. I've just taken it as a unique kind of challenge. Like I hit a level of an underground tower that spawned spiders, and I ended up just building a cobblestone tunnel from the stairway to the spawner so I could bean the drat thing with a pick. At least with the enchanted sword, I can one-shot the drat spiders.

Edit: I guess I need to use rift signatures for what I want.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 25, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

For dimensional doors, I wondered if I could have have doors from various areas in various dimensions wind up in a small area in my pocket portal, basically using it as a transit hub. If nobody knows, the best I can ponder there is to screw around creating rifts with the rift blade rift signatures, with one end in the overworld/nether/end/fairy forest/whatever and the other in a spot in my pocket dimension. I assume it will work but I'd honestly rather ask on the Internet and understand the caveats then start screwing up everything.

The other has to do with crafting up an appropriate sword. While doing a 3km overworld round-trip, my standby sword just disappeared from my inventory. I have no idea what happened. It was just a diamond sword with Fire Aspect I, but it was doing a decent job with all my overworld antics. I found another diamond sword that had Bane of the Anthropods IV on it, and I use that when spiders are around because I hate spiders*. I was thinking it was about time I made a better standby word for playing around in the Nether and raiding. I have a good pile of alloys, lots of meteor stuff, essences out my rear end, a working understanding of smelting, an enchanting table with the max books, and an anvil. If it comes down to weapon type, I rarely block.

*The spider combat mechanics in this game are really screwed up. They all end up just kind of floating above me, darting down quickly and up even faster. And then in the middle of all that you just get randomly damaged. Then they fall for one damage, which renders them invulnerable for half a second, so I can't even hit them. Then they hit me again. Poisonous spiders are the worst because that's an automatic 3 hearts down right there. I've just taken it as a unique kind of challenge. Like I hit a level of an underground tower that spawned spiders, and I ended up just building a cobblestone tunnel from the stairway to the spawner so I could bean the drat thing with a pick. At least with the enchanted sword, I can one-shot the drat spiders.

If Hexxit has Tinker's Construct, I'd look into making a custom-made sword.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I haven't played Hexxit in a few months, but last I checked it was easily possible to have a dimensional nexus like the one you're describing. As far as I know, dimensional doors placed on rifts generated by a signature will link point A to point B, and it doesn't really care about what dimension the points happen to be in. I think the doors generated by the rift blade are temporary.

As for swords, I found that Tinker's Construct was the easiest way to a powerful weapon. It may have been updated since, but I remember making a sword out of iron and just adding tons of quartz, a few wither bones, and some slime to make a very powerful blade that would two shot most mobs while also healing me and never running out of durability. That should tide you over until you can get some of the high end ores, which are pretty much overkill.

The only downside, and again this may have been updated since, was that the TC weapons were incompatible with Asgard Shield, since they have their own right click abilities which override it.

Spiders loving suck and I would either try out some wands or staffs you find in chests or whatever, or just turn the difficulty to easy. Combat is such a chore even with magic weapons that I feel no shame about it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

*The spider combat mechanics in this game are really screwed up.

When spiders do that dropping and darting motion it's due to a mismatch between the client and server. (Internal server if you're playing single)

The spider is always "actually" in the uppermost position, so swinging at it while it is lower will always miss.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Dimdoors works exactly as you're attempting, and in fact that's probably the number one thing most people use it for.

As for swords, make a Tinker's Construct smeltery and make a sword (or cleaver if the version in Hexxit has the advanced tools) with an alumite blade, an obsidian crossbar, and a rod made out of slime. That will give you a practically-indestructible high-damage sword and you can add quartz and moss to it to make it even higher damage and auto-repair.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

President Ark posted:

Dimdoors works exactly as you're attempting, and in fact that's probably the number one thing most people use it for.

As for swords, make a Tinker's Construct smeltery and make a sword (or cleaver if the version in Hexxit has the advanced tools) with an alumite blade, an obsidian crossbar, and a rod made out of slime. That will give you a practically-indestructible high-damage sword and you can add quartz and moss to it to make it even higher damage and auto-repair.

I suggest you make a rapier with alumite or manyllium blade, a moss and necrotic bone, and fill it up with quartz. Rapiers can hit very fast, and with necrotic bone, you get life steal. They also pierce armor, very handy against the walkers. It's cheap to make as well, so try making one without buffing it and see if you like it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Consider making the handle paper. It tanks durability, but weapons don't see as much use as tool anyway, and the extra mod slot lets you stack on more quartz for more damage. As long as you put a moss on there for regen, a weapon will probably never break.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Related Tinker's Construct question: I usually roll with a heavily enchanted paxel (pick-axe-shovel) from Mechanism, because I hate having to switch tools all the drat time. Is there an equivalent in Tinker's Construct? Or at least a pick/shovel equivalent?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to hear other Tinker combos people like.

I've made one of those 3x3 range hammers with silk touch for gathering quarry stone and the like. I also did some type of silk touch axe for looting bookshelves from the twilight forest. Can't remember my materials offhand though, this was on a previous server. Probably the nether alloy.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Related Tinker's Construct question: I usually roll with a heavily enchanted paxel (pick-axe-shovel) from Mechanism, because I hate having to switch tools all the drat time. Is there an equivalent in Tinker's Construct? Or at least a pick/shovel equivalent?
There is the mattock, a hoe / shovel / axe combo. You can't mine and dig with the same tool like a paxel though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I didn't manage to get to casting a new sword yet since I went on a wild goose chase trying to find a site that I actually wanted to connect with dimensional doors. I ended up going one dimension deeper from my starting pocket dimension to create the nexus/hub. There I marked a spot something like 3 units north and 6 units west. So I tried to find a good spot on the Overworld that would scale that way; something where I could drop down a nether gate beyond 1km from where this was all going down. I found a suitable spot: a goblin castle right next to a village, bridging two oceans. I spent an hour and a half trying to clean it up. The goblin combat was much more interesting because they actually block. I ended up just charge striking the goblin king into the castle's fountain and got him to drown. I ended up kind of digging into the castle so I missed the whole dungeon raid thing that was supposed to happen underneath, but I eventually went down there to shut up everything that was moaning and clanging. After that all quieted down, I found a good house inside the castle to mark the second part of the rift, tossed up my door, and went through. Indeed, it sent me into the little nexus area I was staging. That linked up everything quite nicely.

I want to try some of those construction ideas, but I don't have a wither bone yet. Where I wound up in the Nether didn't get me near a fortress that I could see. I finally figured out how all the map stuff works so I was able to scroll around and find what looked like a fortress. It was a bunch of purple rectangles linking to each other. It will be a rough trip trying to get to either that I could pick out. Are there other, convenient ways to get wither bones? Come to think of it, I don't think I ever managed to get one when I was beating vanilla. I knocked out a few wither skeletons but never got one to drop one. I was trying to get blaze rods so I didn't try that hard, and the fortress I found in vanilla didn't have a dungeon spawn for them, so I couldn't just camp and swing away.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Cantorsdust posted:

Redstone Arsenal has you covered on this. When empowered, the Pickaxe also chews through things you normally have to dig through.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

KingLemming posted:

Redstone Arsenal has you covered on this. When empowered, the Pickaxe also chews through things you normally have to dig through.

Do the other tools have their own empowered effects?

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Hello!

I have a new Let's Play series on youtube featuring many goons from this thread.

You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnNaLgXxpGo

I will likely be inviting a few stragglers to this party also as our members die off/disappear but not until after the holidays.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

m2pt5 posted:

Do the other tools have their own empowered effects?

Gonna go ahead and shamelessly steal this from some reddit post.

quote:

All tools use 100 rf per use in normal mode and come with +1 flux damage already on them. Flux damage is unblockable. All tools can be enchanted, unbreaking will reduce tool cost by 20% per level. For example a tool with unbreaking III (max) will reduce the 100 rf cost down to 40 (60% decrease).

• Pickaxe: Mine in a 1x3 area (tall), uses up 400 rf per mine (33 extra per block mined). Can now be used as a shovel also, mines one block at a time. Gains +1 flux damage for a total of 6 damage, 2 unblockable.
  • Sword: +3 flux damage, 400 rf per use. It has a total 12 damage, 4 unblockable.
  • Battlewrench: +2 flux damage, 400 rf per use. Has a total of 9 damage, 3 unblockable.
  • Sickle: sickles a 9x9x3 area (vs the normal 7x7), uses up 800 rf. 1.25 more rf used per block (assuming you use all 9x9x3 blocks). Gains +1 flux damage and does 7 damage total, 2 unblockable.
  • Axe: chops in a 5x5 area, uses 800 rf. Becomes more energy efficient if you manage to mine more than eight blocks at a time with it, vs other tools which all become less energy efficient. Because it uses 800 rf in a 5x5 area for a potential total of 125 blocks mined vs 100 for one block mined. Gains +1 flux damage and does 7 damage total, 2 unblockable.
  • Shovel: Mines a 5x1 area (five blocks forward from you), uses 400 rf per use. Like axe it becomes more efficient because it uses 400 rf for five blocks mined vs 100 rf for one block. Shovel can also be used as a hoe, and it also hoes a 5x1 area in empowered mode. Gains +1 flux damage and does 5 total damage, 2 unblockable.
  • Omniwrench: has no empowered mode. Omniwrench can also be used as shears, however.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

wylker posted:

Hello!

I have a new Let's Play series on youtube featuring many goons from this thread.

I will likely be inviting a few stragglers to this party also as our members die off/disappear but not until after the holidays.

Someone on the server should build Wylker a door.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

greententacle posted:

Someone on the server should build Wylker a door.

get the gently caress out

e: I'll be back like next week guys, holidays stuff. Wylker pls fix the hellhole in my house and return my itams to the prime material plane, thanx~

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 27, 2013

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure that anyone in here is really looking for any other mod packs at the moment but I thought I would pimp this one anyway. An internet friend of mine puts this together for us and we have fun with it. it's just been updated to 1.6.4, and doesn't seem to have any major problems at the moment. If you find some, let me know though. The only servers that have ever ran this pack have like maybe 5 people on at most ever so there could be some obscure interactions that break things, hard to say.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/199x-pack.126424

We added in BoP which has made the world a hell of a lot more interesting for sure. It's probably pretty similar to other mod packs out there, originally it was a custom version of Big Dig ages ago. So yeah it has Big Dig style ore distribution, hooray.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Ixjuvin posted:

get the gently caress out

e: I'll be back like next week guys, holidays stuff. Wylker pls fix the hellhole in my house and return my itams to the prime material plane, thanx~

Been wondering where you were. Was trying to get with you to fix your house, shout at me when you're back.

Also here is a redstone arsenal spotlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-inprgOrwJA

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013
Sooo regarding the current version of Big Reactors for 1.6.4: Where do I even start to get the most efficient design?
Are there currently any resources for this?

Currently I have just a medium sized structure that puts around ~260 mj/t. But given the space, I wonder if I would still be better off with a fuel bee and a max-size boiler, given it would output roughly the same amount of energy in less space.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

wylker posted:

Hello!

I know that reading YouTube comments is a terrible idea, but I find it incredibly amusing that you got someone going PERMISSIONS :byodood: from the get-go.

chami fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 27, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

chami posted:

I know that reading YouTube comments is a terrible idea, but I find it incredibly amusing that you got someone going PERMISSIONS :byodood: from the get-go.

Not only that, it wasn't for the current version of the pack but the previous version.

Mojang needs to put their stance in plain English so these PERMISSIONS :byodood: assholes can shut the gently caress up already.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

m2pt5 posted:

Not only that, it wasn't for the current version of the pack but the previous version.

Mojang needs to put their stance in plain English so these PERMISSIONS :byodood: assholes can shut the gently caress up already.

Not to rain on your parade here, but: "This permission must be irrevocable, and you must also let us permit other people to use, copy, modify and adapt your content."

I haven't seen Mojang give blanket permission to everyone for every mod out there. Until they do, the EULA changes *nothing* about the current situation. Modders can still hit anyone distributing their stuff using a DMCA takedown notice.

So. Legally you're allowed to distribute other peoples mods in these cases:
- The modder used a permissive license that automatically gives you the right to re-distribute (i.e. OSI approved licenses or some other bullshitty Minecraft mod license)
- The modder individually licensed the rights to you (for which "giving permission" is an alias)
- Mojang sub-licensed their right to redistribute to you (which I haven't seen them do yet)

Don't get me wrong. I really don't like the shenanigans involved here, but that's how copyright law more or less boils down to for software. Personally I prefer mods with OSI approved licenses (Modular Powersuits for example is BSD-2 if i remember correctly). Simply because they have widely known consequences w.r.t. to distribution and adaption. Creative commons is a good choice for closed-source mods as well. And it personally pains me to see some minecraft modder write his own Software license. Many others before him have tried - and failed.

*EDIT*: Clarified/expanded.

Gimpanse fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 27, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gimpanse posted:

Sooo regarding the current version of Big Reactors for 1.6.4: Where do I even start to get the most efficient design?
Are there currently any resources for this?

Currently I have just a medium sized structure that puts around ~260 mj/t. But given the space, I wonder if I would still be better off with a fuel bee and a max-size boiler, given it would output roughly the same amount of energy in less space.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561897&userid=107423

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561897&userid=168327&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post423076387

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

This program is awesome, but I'm having some problems with making it work:

1) It never seems to calculate the fuel consumption or estimate the running time/efficiency when data logging is on. It just gets stuck on "Initializing..."

2) The energy bar glitches out as soon as it finishes filling up any external power cells. The reactor's internal buffer isn't full, but it freaks out like so:

Any ideas on how to fix, or is there an updated version somewhere?

Hey, I've been on vacation so I haven't been around to check on forums/Minecraft. It should Initialize for about a minute before it outputs any data (I really should add a timer or some temporary data). No idea on that energy bar glitch, but I'll look into it. As far as updates go, I'm just updating the same file so anytime the computer reboots (hold Ctrl+R to manually reboot, or automatically when an unloaded chunk loads up) the program will automatically update to the newest version.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Faldoncow posted:

Hey, I've been on vacation so I haven't been around to check on forums/Minecraft. It should Initialize for about a minute before it outputs any data (I really should add a timer or some temporary data). No idea on that energy bar glitch, but I'll look into it. As far as updates go, I'm just updating the same file so anytime the computer reboots (hold Ctrl+R to manually reboot, or automatically when an unloaded chunk loads up) the program will automatically update to the newest version.

Thanks for the update! Do you have a site or thread or something anywhere I could use to keep tabs on things? I've been limping along with a version I cobbled together by looking at your code, without the problematic data logging and it works decently enough.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gimpanse posted:

So. Legally you're allowed to distribute other peoples mods in these cases:
- The modder used a permissive license that automatically gives you the right to re-distribute (i.e. OSI approved licenses or some other bullshitty Minecraft mod license)
- The modder individually licensed the rights to you (for which "giving permission" is an alias)
- Mojang sub-licensed their right to redistribute to you (which I haven't seen them do yet)

Legally we can do whatever we want with a mod. Good luck showing otherwise.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Can someone post the court rulings again?

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Thanks man! I was blind :-(

This really helps me out.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Reason posted:

Legally we can do whatever we want with a mod. Good luck showing otherwise.

I don't care either way what you do. When a modder goes ballistic and slaps you with a DMCA takedown notice, it's not my website thats going down.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Gimpanse posted:

I don't care either way what you do. When a modder goes ballistic and slaps you with a DMCA takedown notice, it's not my website thats going down.

Didn't that already happen on more then one occasion? It's never stuck, and in fact blew up in the modder's face so hard that they became laughingstocks for pretty much everyone in this thread.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Zebrin posted:

Didn't that already happen on more then one occasion? It's never stuck, and in fact blew up in the modder's face so hard that they became laughingstocks for pretty much everyone in this thread.

You're right in that realistically, sending takedown notices is easy and free. Following up after they've been ignored is hard and expensive.

It's also probable that the impact of the Mojang EULA provision on redistribution of mods will never ever be tested in court ;-)

So in the end, one has to worry primarily about those pesky notices and how to eventually mitigate the damage they can do. I would keep those files far far away from any important personal domains, websites or dropbox accounts, since they could go down as collateral damage from the combination of a trigger happy modder and scared web hoster.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gimpanse posted:

You're right in that realistically, sending takedown notices is easy and free. Following up after they've been ignored is hard and expensive.

It's also probable that the impact of the Mojang EULA provision on redistribution of mods will never ever be tested in court ;-)

So in the end, one has to worry primarily about those pesky notices and how to eventually mitigate the damage they can do. I would keep those files far far away from any important personal domains, websites or dropbox accounts, since they could go down as collateral damage from the combination of a trigger happy modder and scared web hoster.

No web host gives a poo poo about some angry power tripping modder. Everyone in this thread has always mocked modders who go on about legal rights, and that mockery has recently been reaffirmed by Mojang's new EULA.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

wylker posted:

If you happen to have any room left, I wouldn't mind tagging along and making some nifty stuff.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Gimpanse posted:

You produce a counter-notification and present it to your host. After that point, the hosting service gives no poo poo since it is then out of their hands and they are avoiding liability, the host will then restore services because to not do so would make them liable for other damages. The next step would be to take the person directly to court (we've been down this road multiple times for various packs, every DMCA notice was swatted down with a Counter-Notice and the mod pack continued with no delay. Spamming the same DMCA to a service provider after a Counter-Notice is given can actually get you into a poo poo ton of trouble and unlike rehosting a mod, can actually sue the person submitting the DMCA very easily), which will never happen because every lawyer worth his salt would laugh you out of his office and any sane judge would dismiss the case, especially now that the Mojang EULA prohibits making any form of profit from mods. Copyright infraction cases are civil cases, what are you going to sue for, what damages are you going to claim? The case would be seen as a waste of court time.

Also, god help you if the person you are trying to bring a DMCA or charges against is part of any number of countries who literally do not give a poo poo. :v:

Also, the Mojang EULA is vague in the best of ways, until their EULA is tested in court, or until they define it better, Mojang never makes a claim to who they are not extending permission to "to use, copy, modify and adapt your content". It is very easy to argue that it implies anyone using Mojang's Minecraft product is given this permission from the statement that follows later in that section "Please think carefully before you make any content available, because it will be made public and might even be used by other people in a way you don‘t like." Note that it does not say that your content may end up being public, like in the case if Mojang decided to adapt a mod into their vanilla code, it directly states taht any content you make available will become public.

Until that section is either redefined by Mojang, or tested in court with Mojang to prove that it does not extend to other users under Mojang's EULA, then people will use that section for how it is worded.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 27, 2013

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Legal arguments aside, the "I'll make a modification to a popular game and put it up on the Internet for public consumption, but you can only play it the way I tell you, can't share it with your friends, and can't make your own modifications to my mod" attitude is what's crazy here. Especially because...

Enzer posted:

...the Mojang EULA prohibits making any form of profit from mods.
Given that restriction from the company that made the original game, the only entity that has any right whatsoever to dictate terms, what incentive is there to do anything but release both source and binaries for anybody and any purpose? If you crave recognition, then wouldn't you want as many people to enjoy your work as possible, no matter how they acquire a copy of it? Why care about how others play when you don't have to play with them? What makes it OK for you to mod a game's content or mechanics but not OK for someone else to mod yours?

Requesting attribution for your work seems reasonable, as does refusing to support mods to your mod, and accepting voluntary donations from appreciative fans (even though that's in a grey area), but these are all things the author can do. How can one expect to force others to do anything given the nature of the Internet? Technical countermeasures only inconvenience those who are already willing to play by whatever rules you dictate, and invite scorn and derision from those who aren't as they are easily circumvented. Legal countermeasures are expensive and don't seem to do much to stop unauthorized distribution of digital works, even for deep-pocketed corporations, which leaves social pressure, and the only significant effect it seems to have is to polarize the community and make things unpleasant for everyone.

Wouldn't it be better if we shared the toys and all had fun playing with them instead of arguing about who gets to play and how?

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 27, 2013

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
So this evening I was giving out advice to my parents' friends and their son, who's younger than me by about a decade, because the Sphax installer has dumped malware all over the kid's machine. I had to caution him not to panic and reassure him that his computer wasn't completely hosed.

Thanks, Sphax guy, you malevolent subhuman piece of poo poo. I hope you die in a loving fire.

edit: luckily it turns out he didn't use the installer, so he's safe, but still - this poo poo should not be happening.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altran
Mar 20, 2013
I am using minecraft forge 1.6.4.
I understand that I just put the Executable Jar file straight into the mod folder, such as ChickenChunks 1.3.3.3.
What do I do with the compressed files? I got loads of them, such as Archimedesships.

I am trying to compile up a Yogscast mod, Minecraft Galacticraft - MoonQuest, I found and downloaded all the mods listed then jammed all of them into the mod folder, but seems I always get some painful errors.

please keep the answer simple, I am 100% newbie in modding minecraft.

• Locked thread