Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Shageletic posted:

Last couple of days been watching Arrow (eight or so episodes in).

Surprisingly engaging action show. The writing isn't insulting, the tone isn't sophomoric, and the world and overall plot is enticing enough to zip to the next episode. Didn't think I would still be excited about this, this deep in. Some things I do worry about : the huge number of episodes in the season for what seems like a plot that doesn't merit (i.e. what's happening on the island, etc). And the large cast, giving an excuse to go into stupid dreary plotting.

The Huntress two parter (episodes 7-8) are the consensus worst episodes in the series, while episode 9 is one of the better early episodes in terms of world building for the show, so hopefully your worries about the plotting should be addressed. Unfortunately the island plot keeps dragging along through most of the first season before getting better towards the end. Season 1 is a far from perfect product but given what you like about the show so far you should definitely keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If Arrow were a food it would be plain as gently caress white bread, which yeah is fine and tastes good but come on. I could be eating steak, or chili, or lasagna, or a really good salad, or hell, an orange. Why would I just eat white bread. Maybe if I'm really hungry and have literally nothing else to eat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's something about taste buds in there, but I'm too lazy to work it out.

The punchline is your opinions are bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

scary ghost dog posted:

If Arrow were a food it would be plain as gently caress white bread, which yeah is fine and tastes good but come on. I could be eating steak, or chili, or lasagna, or a really good salad, or hell, an orange. Why would I just eat white bread. Maybe if I'm really hungry and have literally nothing else to eat.

If Arrow were a food you would be crapping it out your butt before you'd finished taking your first bite.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'm just laughing at all the people with best of the year TV show lists with Arrow in the same bracket as Breaking Bad and Shameless. It's a fine show, by no means bad, with 'good' plotting and 'acceptable' acting. It might have been exceptional if it were original.

Rarity posted:

If Arrow were a food you would be crapping it out your butt before you'd finished taking your first bite.

Are you insulting me or Arrow?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I made it six episodes into the first season of Arrow and have rarely been more bored watching a TV show in my life. It might improve a lot later on, but that first batch of episodes was so unengaging I just couldn't take it anymore and had to drop it. I might pick it back up sometime to try again, but it is very low priority on my backlog.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joramun posted:

I made it six episodes into the first season of Arrow and have rarely been more bored watching a TV show in my life. It might improve a lot later on, but that first batch of episodes was so unengaging I just couldn't take it anymore and had to drop it. I might pick it back up sometime to try again, but it is very low priority on my backlog.
I almost quit the show in Season One and just decided to finish it to kill time. The first and second season can't really be compared; it's like they took all the reactions to stuff that happened in the first season and applied it in the second.

If you're going to quit the show, at least just watch the season-one recap and try season 2.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Joramun posted:

I have tried 3 times to get into Arrow. First time just like you, got bored midway through the first season, tried to pick it up again but lost interest. Then I started with season 2 and made it about 3 and a half episodes. It's a competently made show but it just did not engage me. The characters are acted well enough I suppose but all of them are very bland. The plot does move along at a decent rate but it all seems very uninteresting. The action and fight choreography is very good but often poorly shot and cut in a way that makes it hard to follow, and most of it is set at night so you can hardly see what's going on anyway. It's a bit of a shame because it could be an enjoyable show and it's the type of thing I should like but it's just not very good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's a cheesy well-shot Super Soap. It ain't for erryone but I'm always surprised how many people are in love with it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Arrow is a superhero show on broadcast television. It's easy to understand that some people just won't like it because of the constraints the medium and network put on it both financially and otherwise, but it's also equally easy to understand that those that do like it will likely be very crazy and vocal about it. It does so many things well that shows with more money and better pedigrees can't get right at all. Is it going to win Emmys and be on Top 10 lists of best shows? No. But it's going to be on a lot of Top 10 lists of favorite shows. And the distinction of that is important.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

If Arrow is plain white bread, then what is Agents of SHIELD? Some kind of even blander food? Gruel?

ps Arrow is good you are wrong

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the inferior form of white bread, so brown bread.

Yeah I said it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If Arrow is plain white bread, then what is Agents of SHIELD? Some kind of even blander food? Gruel?

ps Arrow is good you are wrong

SHIELD is a tub of unflavored generic yogurt, left warm

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

American cheese.

edit: I caught up on Arrow after watching the first 4-5 eps of the first season when originally aired. Cool show, especially because he's a "superhero" that actually kills people. But I just can't get over how dumb and stupid the island scenes are. I just don't give a gently caress about anything that happens on the island. Checking the Wiki the island stuff seems to be mostly comic book tie-in fanwankery, so I guess that explains why it's so terrible.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 27, 2013

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm done with Arrow. Last episode I saw was the Christmas party one. Not bad, but I came to the realization that it's at least 50% CW soap opera, which is too much for me. Plus, you all are saying the Huntress episodes were bad, but I didn't notice any difference in quality between them and any other episodes. Person of Interest is a far superior superhero show. :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spatula City posted:

I'm done with Arrow. Last episode I saw was the Christmas party one. Not bad, but I came to the realization that it's at least 50% CW soap opera, which is too much for me. Plus, you all are saying the Huntress episodes were bad, but I didn't notice any difference in quality between them and any other episodes. Person of Interest is a far superior superhero show. :colbert:

Well of course it is, and I can't begrudge you for not liking the same TV shows as other people, but it's okay to like more than one show at the same time, y'know. :v:

Arrow is a show about incredibly attractive people doing superhero-type stuff. As long as you understand that and can accept that, then you'll probably enjoy the show.

Speaking of which though, I've been watching Supernatural on Netflix with my wife, and comparing Katie Cassidy then with now, it's like goddamn she got her entire face replaced with aftermarket parts.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 27, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All you people baggin on Arrow better sleep with one eye open because I'm comin' for you irl. :toughguy:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

raditts posted:

Well of course it is, and I can't begrudge you for not liking the same TV shows as other people, but it's okay to like more than one show at the same time, y'know. :v:

Arrow is a show about incredibly attractive people doing superhero-type stuff. As long as you understand that and can accept that, then you'll probably enjoy the show.

Speaking of which though, I've been watching Supernatural on Netflix with my wife, and comparing Katie Cassidy then with now, it's like goddamn she got her entire face replaced with aftermarket parts.

oh my god, it's the same actress as Ruby MK.1, wtf. How could she be pretty decent on Supernatural and disastrous on Arrow? :iiam:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Colour me surprised I never thought this day would come. Having watched the whole first season I'll never understand the love Arrow gets around here. I can understand liking it in passing for what it is; it's a cheesy and dumb kind of fun but nothing special at all. Nothing about it warrants the almost hyperbolic amounts of praise it gets, and it's nice to see the balance getting redressed.

I also didn't think those huntress episodes were any different from the rest (her character, dialogue and storyline were no more or less ridiculous than any other) but I suspect holding that opinion requires one to also have an opinion about comics. I liked the island parts more than I thought I would though, I'll give it that.

In no particular order, shows that I think are similar in tone or premise to Arrow but are (or have been at some point) better in every way:

Supernatural
Nikita
Vampire Diaries
Alphas
PoI

That last one also gets silly amounts of praise, which I wouldn't go along with even though I like the show - but in that case I can understand where it's coming from.

At least Arrow's miles better than Smallville though, I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hoping someone could identify something for me. I remember an episode of a TV show, maybe movie, where some character kept mispronouncing the word tuxedo as tuzedo. For the life of me I cannot remember it and google doesn't seem to be much help. I don't think it was a fever dream but I wouldn't rule out drug-induced psychosis.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HUMAN FISH posted:

American cheese.

edit: I caught up on Arrow after watching the first 4-5 eps of the first season when originally aired. Cool show, especially because he's a "superhero" that actually kills people. But I just can't get over how dumb and stupid the island scenes are. I just don't give a gently caress about anything that happens on the island. Checking the Wiki the island stuff seems to be mostly comic book tie-in fanwankery, so I guess that explains why it's so terrible.

Arrow is Kraft Cheeze Food Product and white wonder bread grilled sandwich. Pretty tasty and nutritionally deficient.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cactus posted:

Colour me surprised I never thought this day would come. Having watched the whole first season I'll never understand the love Arrow gets around here. I can understand liking it in passing for what it is; it's a cheesy and dumb kind of fun but nothing special at all. Nothing about it warrants the almost hyperbolic amounts of praise it gets, and it's nice to see the balance getting redressed.

I also didn't think those huntress episodes were any different from the rest (her character, dialogue and storyline were no more or less ridiculous than any other) but I suspect holding that opinion requires one to also have an opinion about comics. I liked the island parts more than I thought I would though, I'll give it that.

In no particular order, shows that I think are similar in tone or premise to Arrow but are (or have been at some point) better in every way:

Supernatural
Nikita
Vampire Diaries
Alphas
PoI

That last one also gets silly amounts of praise, which I wouldn't go along with even though I like the show - but in that case I can understand where it's coming from.

At least Arrow's miles better than Smallville though, I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Supernatural I'd say is more of a non-lovely Buffy than a non-lovely superhero show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd say Arrow is like, slightly better than much of Supernatural but nowhere near as good as say Sleepy Hollow.

I mean, IMO and all that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

I'd say Arrow is like, slightly better than much of Supernatural but nowhere near as good as say Sleepy Hollow.

I mean, IMO and all that.

Oh yeah, "good" is subjective but Arrow wishes it were half as batshit insane as Sleepy Hollow. It got close whenever Barrowman was around to chew up a big ol' mouthful of scenery though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

Oh yeah, "good" is subjective but Arrow wishes it were half as batshit insane as Sleepy Hollow.

If Arrow were as batshit insane as Sleepy Hollow it wouldn't even be half as good as it is now. That's the beauty of Sleepy Hollow: What Sleepy Hollow does, only Sleepy Hollow could pull off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

If Arrow were as batshit insane as Sleepy Hollow it wouldn't even be half as good as it is now. That's the beauty of Sleepy Hollow: What Sleepy Hollow does, only Sleepy Hollow could pull off.

This is truth. I really can't wait to see where they go next season, knowing that the audience has seemingly bought into the full insanity of the premise. :dance:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But guys I don't understand! People are saying Arrow is bad, but haven't you heard how quickly the plot moves? How can a show be bad when lots of things happen?!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Arrow isn't bad, it's just not really good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok yeah bad was the wrong word. And I really have nothing against Arrow but I do get sick of hearing "it moves so quickly!" and "this generic C-lister DC character is in it!" (the latter mainly from Facebook people) as reasons why a show is good. Neither of those things make a show good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is the episode where TVIV introduces C-list villain Strawman.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Bown posted:

ok yeah bad was the wrong word. And I really have nothing against Arrow but I do get sick of hearing "it moves so quickly!" and "this generic C-lister DC character is in it!" (the latter mainly from Facebook people) as reasons why a show is good. Neither of those things make a show good.

The good thing about the comic character appearances (to me) is that these guys will show up and either become important characters in their own right or instantly get an ignominious arrowing. Sometimes the latter happens even when the DCU characters are played by relatively recognizable actors. At the same time characters who are original to the show appear and have the same odds of being important or dead. Will the dead guys show up in flashbacks and reveal themselves to have retroactive storylines? Sometimes! My point is that in some shows it would be easy to tell by character pedigree or casting or introductory expository dialogue which of these routes a character will take. In Arrow the tension of not knowing is preserved.

As for things happening as a sign of quality: Agents of Shield compares poorly with Arrow's constant onslaught of happenings. For those of us who watch both (or used to watch both) "Things happen that actually impact the characters for multiple episodes and develop into other storylines." is a pretty easy and obvious thing to point to when describing why one show is successfully entertaining and another is not as much.

scary ghost dog posted:

Arrow isn't bad, it's just not really good.

I would argue that for what it is, it is extremely good. If it is white bread then Arrow is a crusty fresh baguette. It was only good in season 1, the extremely did not come until Season 2, not because the pace ratchets up but because the alternating narratives between the past and present are better interwoven. Some of the thematic pairings S1 were either ham-handed or did not really link well together.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cactus posted:

Nothing about it warrants the almost hyperbolic amounts of praise it gets, and it's nice to see the balance getting redressed.

This may be the single dumbest thing I've seen posted here recently. Well it seems too many people like this show so I'm glad to see that others don't like it so that it'll get knocked down a peg and set everything right in the fantasy TV Praise Rankings in my head! Come on. It doesn't matter at all what the balance of praise and criticism is around here. I don't see why anyone should be concerned at all about shows they don't care for being liked by other people. That's just really dumb. In the same way I don't care whether people like the same show I do either. I'd like for them to give it a try. And if they don't like it that's fine. We can all go about our lives loving whatever we like. If you don't like Arrow I don't care at all. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of it. But acting like there has to be some kind of balance of praise and criticism for shows is just dumb dude. I can't even believe you typed something that stupid out.

Also I don't know if you're new around here or not. But hyperbolic praise for shows that likely don't warrant it are kind of a staple around this place. See: The Booth at the End, Sex House, Person of Interest, Game of Thrones, Community, Mad Men, Orphan Black, Arrow and countless others. That's what we do here. Overhyping TV is our game here. And now that I've pissed off every single other poster in this forum with that incredibly accurate yet incomplete list of overrated shows I expect to be showered with insults from all corners. So bring it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All the shows you listed suck a hairy rear end

e: especially Game of Thrones. Literally.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Also I don't know if you're new around here or not. But hyperbolic praise for shows that likely don't warrant it are kind of a staple around this place. See: The Booth at the End, Sex House, Person of Interest, Game of Thrones, Community, Mad Men, Orphan Black, Arrow and countless others. That's what we do here. Overhyping TV is our game here. And now that I've pissed off every single other poster in this forum with that incredibly accurate yet incomplete list of overrated shows I expect to be showered with insults from all corners. So bring it.

Perhaps he was merely saying it's good to see a balance of opinions, as something different from this usual overhyping?

Also add Scandal to that list, another serviceable but mediocre show overhyped by a select few. And Sleepy Hollow, a fine show but not the craziest bestest thing ever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main issue I have is that a fair few people who think Arrow is one of the best shows airing are the same people who say stuff like "oh man cinema discusso are so dumb and pretentious, THEY'RE JUST MOVIES GUYS". If you're that against thinking about the media you watch, and you just want to watch the most surface-level melodramatic superhero stuff, why are you a regular poster in a media forum?

And I'm not saying the two are separate - some of the best posters here are big Arrow fans. But it feels almost anti-intellectual at times. Which is fine! I watch plenty of silly/melodramatic shows and far too many bad sitcoms. But there's such a huge difference between those shows and the ones that actually remind me why I love television and in an age where we have not only a bunch of incredible dramas airing on cable but so many other things, underground comedies that are producing some of the funniest stuff every week and even a new rise in imaginative, thoughtful children's shows it doesn't feel right to me to post on a TV forum and constantly be praising a show with "the fights are well-shot and Deathstroke is in it".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wandle Cax posted:

Perhaps he was merely saying it's good to see a balance of opinions, as something different from this usual overhyping?

Also add Scandal to that list, another serviceable but mediocre show overhyped by a select few. And Sleepy Hollow, a fine show but not the craziest bestest thing ever.

Well if we're gonna actually be honest about it pretty much everything here in this forum falls into one extreme or another. That was kind of my point. For better or worse that's what this forum is about. So someone crying foul because some show is too liked or because someone said mean things about a show that's well liked is dumb. Because that's pretty much every show here.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, let's talk about something less divisive.

You know, like Girls. It has a new season starting up next month, looks pretty dope.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've never had so many :words: put in my mouth before. They taste like straw.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Hey guys, let's talk about something less divisive.

You know, like Girls. It has a new season starting up next month, looks pretty dope.

Maybe it's just me, but for me, Girls is a television show that airs on Sundays on HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bown posted:

The main issue I have is that a fair few people who think Arrow is one of the best shows airing are the same people who say stuff like "oh man cinema discusso are so dumb and pretentious, THEY'RE JUST MOVIES GUYS". If you're that against thinking about the media you watch, and you just want to watch the most surface-level melodramatic superhero stuff, why are you a regular poster in a media forum?

Uh, this is Something Awful. You know, the meme and Photoshop site?

• Locked thread