Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to use a vehicle battery to charge / run tools? I'm running through my battery stockpile way too fast using this welder.

I've seen welding rigs in garages. I was thinking you're supposed to rip the welder part off, attach it to your vehicle, and then use the vehicle's battery charge to weld stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
You can sometimes see welding rigs in garages, or if your mechanics and electronics is high enough, build one yourself. There are also kitchen units and, if you can find the schematics for it, some kind of super do-everything machine. Note that one you install one on your car the game makes every zombear in the world ignore you entirely while they sprint straight for your vehicle, for there is no greater meal they crave than the shredded remains of welding rigs, RV kitchen units and solar panels.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 22, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
In the latest experimental I think there's even a rechargeable battery mod you can craft and add to tools, and a recharger unit you can add to storage spaces on your vehicle. Putting the modded tools in the storage space will then slowly recharge it. Haven't come across/built one yet, though.

And the super do-everything machine is the FOODCO kitchen buddy, which requires a vacuum sealer, hand press and die set, water purifier and food dehydrator, and will allow you to craft anything that requires those tools when near it. You can find the recipe in the DIY compendium. You can't make the vacuum sealer and hand press and die set out of raw materials, though, I think you have to find them.

I think they've been shifting too many of the high-tier recipes to books lately, it's been making the game kind of boring. Illiterate characters are practically unplayable now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OK, the answer was that crossbows incredibly suck. With an accurate weapon (pneumatic assault rifle) I can hit stuff at close range.

It kinda sucks that Cold Blooded only takes account of external temperature - I can be both slowed down by cold and taking a hit for being too hot.

Edit: Did the acid rain dissolve my gallon jugs? I left them outside under some funnels, and now they're gone.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 22, 2013

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

OK, the answer was that crossbows incredibly suck. With an accurate weapon (pneumatic assault rifle) I can hit stuff at close range.

You're doing it wrong. :frogout:

Crossbows and Bows are pretty short range anyway so until you have a higher skill you'll probably want 5-10~ range combat to hit reliably. The Repeating or Pneumatic crossbows are solid choices, with the Pneumatic one accepting rifle mods.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: Did the acid rain dissolve my gallon jugs? I left them outside under some funnels, and now they're gone.

If you left it on a concrete surface, the acid rain may have spawned an acid puddle on the tile, which will melt anything on it. Best to leave funnels on dirt or grass.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I learned the hard way about not dropping items on concrete. I had smashed three or four electronics stores' worth of lockers, using my car's welding rig to fuse them into hundreds of lumps of steel. Before I could weld them into hard plating I decide to take a nap in my car. Of course it acid rains and melts the whole pile.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Is Hard plating really worth the effort of making? I've never found the need for anything more than regular steel plating, applied in large enough quantities. Plus now, with the welding rig, it's easier than ever to fix your vehicle on the go, without even needing to leave it, and you can stop by any abandoned vehicle and chop off quarterpanels if you need some more.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm giving hard plating a go since I'm using my first electric car. Solar panels are so delicate, which is why my car is an ugly yellow and blue blob of redundant #'s. Exploding gas tanks have been the death of me far too many times.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hard plating won't help solar panels, you need to make them reinforced.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

If you left it on a concrete surface, the acid rain may have spawned an acid puddle on the tile, which will melt anything on it. Best to leave funnels on dirt or grass.

Ah, OK. How do I get the funnels back after placing them?

Edit: I guess I should probably park my car on dirt too?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 22, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Take a hacksaw to a few fences, pull some glass from windows or glass door gridges and reinforce the solar panels, yeah. As far as funnels go, they are 'traps' so you use the 'e'xamine key to check them and disarm them. As far as the cars go, you can technically park them anywhere since they are immune to acid rain, so it's your call. If you park them on dirt then if you accidentally drop something around your car it won't land on the concrete to get melted, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm getting soaked/burned by rain even when inside a vehicle with a roof. Is that supposed to happen?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Ah, OK. How do I get the funnels back after placing them?

Edit: I guess I should probably park my car on dirt too?

"e" the funnel, it'll prompt you to disarm it like a trap. Cars are okay to park on concrete; items are what you should look out for.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
All eight tiles around it must have a roof, door or windshield, or rain will get through.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm getting soaked/burned by rain even when inside a vehicle with a roof. Is that supposed to happen?

are the doors open?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sick trigger posted:

are the doors open?

That makes sense!

Do version upgrades break saves?

Edit: I think melee may be overpowered. I got woken from sleep by a Zombear trying to eat me, found I'd forgotten my weapon somewhere, and beat it to death with my bare hands without taking damage beyond the bite that woke me.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 23, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Well, if you had a ranged weapon on hand you'd probably have headshot it immediately. It's hard to find a high-level combat skill that isn't overpowered by that criterion.

And I believe the more recent stable versions have save compatibility. Maybe not for the experimentals though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone explain the Drama and why Candlebury is having a conniption?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

As far as I can tell literally nothing has happened.

Some people talked about furries and some guy was trolling? Who knows, it seems like 13 year olds on the internet blowing up and writing 'GOODBYE INTERNET!'

This thread seems to sum it up, albeit without details.

e: For some less depressing news, go here and vote for CataclysmDDA your favourite roguelike!

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 23, 2013

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Is there a way to check mutation category tendency? I spent too long in a Rat King cave and since then all my mutations have just been flipping between Rat mutation prerequisites.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Pay attention to your dreams when you sleep, you should get dreams corresponding to your major mutation category.

And yeah, nothing really has happened, people are just being overdramatic and blowing up at each other over furries/each other leaving/one guy getting banned.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Inadequately posted:

Pay attention to your dreams when you sleep, you should get dreams corresponding to your major mutation category.

And yeah, nothing really has happened, people are just being overdramatic and blowing up at each other over furries/each other leaving/one guy getting banned.

I only have Rat mutations and I have all of them, I want to know if a weird interaction has happened with Ratting that pushed the mutation tendency value to unexpectedly high levels.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Turtlicious posted:

People were mad that the game wasn't serious to their liking and got pissy that people disagreed with them. Mod got tired of all the bullshit and insane drama so rules were made. Now some people think there is a giant "orwellian" plot against them.

Really.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Doug Lombardi posted:

I only have Rat mutations and I have all of them, I want to know if a weird interaction has happened with Ratting that pushed the mutation tendency value to unexpectedly high levels.

Don't you get more likely to receive mutations from the same "family" once you get one?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

People were mad that the game wasn't serious to their liking and got pissy that people disagreed with them. Mod got tired of all the bullshit and insane drama so rules were made. Now some people think there is a giant "orwellian" plot against them.

Really.
:allears: stay classy cataclysm.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Don't you get more likely to receive mutations from the same "family" once you get one?

Yes, but the Ratting disease caused by the Rat King gives you Rat mutations BUT IN ADDITION increases your Rat Mutation Tendency in a way that I think may be unbounded.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the 'craft from items in containers' thing in yet? I remember it being discussed a while ago, but I can't craft with things in my car storage, even if I'm standing on it.

Also, is there a way to turn an MBR vest with plates/superalloy/etc into an MBR vest (empty)? I have recipes for the other way around, but I can't find a way to take the plates out (so I can get at the delicious kevlar).

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to disassemble the MBR vests, strangely enough. If you want kevlar you can just cut it up, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Inadequately posted:

If you want kevlar you can just cut it up, though.
Unfortunately not.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Really? Could have sworn I cut one up the other time. Maybe they took that out of the latest experimental. Shall download it later and check.

E: Yeah, just tried the latest version. Applying a knife to any MBR vest except a ceramic one will get you 24 kevlar plates, even the empty one and the kevlar-plated one.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 27, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Inadequately posted:

Really? Could have sworn I cut one up the other time. Maybe they took that out of the latest experimental. Shall download it later and check.

E: Yeah, just tried the latest version. Applying a knife to any MBR vest except a ceramic one will get you 24 kevlar plates, even the empty one and the kevlar-plated one.

Ah, just ceramic you can't then. Thanks.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Looks like the nice crafting update is still in limbo. Of course Keven makes his own to pull and completes it himself without any review after holding things up with Swag's PR for over a month. C'mon cataclysm, don't do this.

Big Poppa Creamy
Dec 22, 2005
Has anybody else had issues with the current stable build getting headlights to face the way they want them to on vehicles? I'm trying to install an array of headlights on my new murderbus but whenever I install one, it seems to point diagonally off to the side when I try to get it facing straight ahead.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

GlyphGryph posted:

Glad to see the PR got merged, King of Swag. Didn't realize that was you on the IRC.

It's a good reminder though, that although some of the core devs have very strong opinions, and will be very happy to share those strong opinions with you (I know, because I am totally one of them), it is an open source project with many core developers with merge rights, and one dev will NOT stop your stuff from getting merged. I've had stuff merged over my objections, Kevin Granade has had stuff merged over his, because ultimately, despite things getting a bit heated at times, it's not a dictatorship, and no one person has the final say.

Basically the sole requirements to becoming a core dev is "writes good code, does good PRs, has spent a month working on the project, hasn't broken anything seriously". There is actually quite a diversity of opinions represented within the group.

In other news, my profession PR finally got merged, so all the professions have been replaced. Whoo!

GlyphGryph posted:

I should argue that this was the crux of Kevin's argument against the change in the IRC - that if it was worth doing from a convenience perspective, it was worth doing in general. And he wasn't opposed to benefits of crafting furniture and the like (he even suggested several, and has played a role in the planning for their benefits to crafting quality, although that work is currently stalled while myself and swwu work on NPCs), he just didn't think "player convenience" should be the incentive, since we should be aiming for player convenience regardless.

I understand that argument, even if I disagree with it and think the change is a good one. I'm not really sure I fully understand a lot of the harshness that has been directed at him here - we certainly disagree often enough, I think he's wrong about many things, but his primary work is almost exclusively on technical components of the code and on maintenance (he's the primary reviewer of PR correctness, insuring they work properly, and that takes a lot of time). He's not a wall that will prevents inclusion, and that his opinion may sometimes or even often be "wrong" is apparently a bigger deal to me than other people, despite myself and him going at it quite regularly.

On the guns things, I'll be honest. Whenever a conversation about guns comes up my eyes just glaze right over, and I try not to participate. So that's what I'm gonna do here.

/me glazes.

Kevin just now on the git posted:

The only reason #4904 is still open is in case someone proposes a change to it that addresses the problems I have with it. As it is it's not going in, I've been extremely clear about this at every step of the process.

So which is it? If you're wondering, this is exactly why people here direct harshness at him. He's running the show it seems, even after people say he isn't. This sucks, it's a good PR and the people on Git and here all have voiced their support for it. Why is he being allowed to railroad his dumb illogical ideas about magic crafting or other bullshit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's coming across as a bit of a dick there, yeah.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

OwlFancier posted:

He's coming across as a bit of a dick there, yeah.

Yeah. I'm not really that surprised, I just think it was totally uncalled for him to drag this out over a month. He should have stopped it before the first pull. I feel bad for the time Swag wasted writing up that pretty pull request.

Here is where he's saying all this currently. I'm a bit bemused that he's acting exactly as I said he'd act earlier before. He's not the guy paid by the kickstarter, is he? Isn't that the guy that's doing the lion's share of the grunt work in the background anyways? On the upside, at least the forums are a lot more pleasant now that there's a pretty clear set of don't be a dick rules.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The programmer the kickstarter funded is someone else entirely, I don't know if he has much online presence.

"It's a community project, except only I get to say what goes in." is a bit disingenuous. That makes it not a community project, it makes it a project where other people do work for you.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 31, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I agree.

This doesn't even touch on his hilarious reason for not putting in the other part of the PR, which is all about letting crafting be aware of qualities and furniture, which could easily lead to things like the still being a construction, and other things. "I don't want to pull something that doesn't have a use. Of course, until it's pulled no one can make a use for it."

I kind of feel like I should start selling eggs below cost and make up the losses in volume ala catch-22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That would be an extremely nice addition, it doesn't make a lot of sense that you can cram a lot of the big crafting things into a box and cart it around, some things really should be constructions and being able to take into account your surroundings seems extremely useful for crafting improvements.

I mean you could do all sorts of things, at the moment you can only balance crafting with material cost, time, and difficulty, if you could balance it based around where you're doing it as well, it would let you make crafting more accessible to non-crafting characters by putting properly-set-up crafting locations in the world. That would do a lot for enhancing gameplay variety and giving a use to some areas like science labs as places where you can craft special gear using their equipment.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 31, 2013