Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'd say the best way to make a line memorable is to deliver it in a unique way or to have it belong to a character you found intriguing. Steiner did neither for me as my favorite characters were Zidane, Kuja and Garnet. oh and Vivi of course. Kimahri is far from my favorite FFX character but he has that odd way of speaking which makes it easy to recall his dialog in long-rear end game with thousands upon thousands of lines.

I can quote Kuja all day though simply because he was the most fun and interesting character. "What a bunch of idiots!" in response to promising not to hurt the party as Zidane leads to get the Gulug Stone. And his whole speech once getting Trance was great.

Coughing Hobo posted:

To add to your point, Kain is also a major villain for large swathes of FF4 and while he doesn't really have memorable lines per se his actions have huge ramifications throughout the story, which is far, far more than can be said for whatever Kimahri did.

I was soured on Kain because I ha a major case of hype backlash as Kain is one of the most beloved FFIV characters and you hear all sorts of praise for him on the internet. But I only played FFIV for the first time about two years ago and i was thoroughly unimpressed. If I had to list the most memorable characters in IV, it be Tellah, Cecil, Golbez and RRydia. I have no idea why Kain is so popular.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't get how you can NOT like Steiner if you like Zidane and Vivi. Their interactions with him are some of the best stuff in FF9, like when he lectures Zidane about how badass Vivi is. Of course, the interaction between the four core characters in FF9 is just really well-done in general, since they do such a good job of both establishing what each of the characters thinks of all the others at the beginning and developing them all as time goes on.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I think part of why I like Steiner so much is that he's a huge fanboy for Vivi and it's adorable.
I think Kain is popular because he has a cool design (Even though he wasn't always the best attacker I THOUGHT he was as a kid because he looked cooler and I was bad at math/paying attention) and Jump is a cool ability, in the same way, where it's flashy and useful but ultimately a little counterproductive (look, all your mages are dead because Kain wasn't there to tank any hits!). As an actual character he is dumb as beans and I hated him when I played FF4. I liked him in Dissidia because I thought the jumping-style attacking was neat and he was voiced by :swoon: Liam O'Brien :swoon: and he looked cool.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't get how you can NOT like Steiner if you like Zidane and Vivi. Their interactions with him are some of the best stuff in FF9, like when he lectures Zidane about how badass Vivi is. Of course, the interaction between the four core characters in FF9 is just really well-done in general, since they do such a good job of both establishing what each of the characters thinks of all the others at the beginning and developing them all as time goes on.

Yeah, the character interactions were really well done in FF9. Barring Quina, everyone had some good scenes with each other. It makes it even more of a shame Freya got so underused after Disc 2, but she still had a moment or two with Amarant, especially if you view their ATEs in Treno, then Amarant's scene with Zidane at Ipsen's, followed by their scene at the Fire Shrine.

They even show up together to help Zidane at Pandemonium. :unsmith:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

I have nothing at all against Steiner. He's just not one of my favorites. I mean, it's not like when I remember IX there are huge blank patches where he was. I remember the game well enough and his involvement in it, whether it's big epic scenes ike him and Beatrix defending Alexandria or stuff like his conversation with the coffee dude near Dali. I just can't remember any specific lines from him.

Granted, I haven't played the game in....six or seven years. I played it a poo poo ton back in the day but I lost interest in it after a while.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 27, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Collection launched in Japan yesterday. It has more loading screens than the PS2 version, and cutscenes are still unskippable :wtf::wtf:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

The Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Collection launched in Japan yesterday. It has more loading screens than the PS2 version, and cutscenes are still unskippable :wtf::wtf:

Why would they do this? They did such a good job with KH1 HD and that was with just two guys working on it, supposedly. :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Ha ha, holy poo poo. Though, this isn't really surprising from the company that let War of the Lions with its hardcoded lag ship.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Neowyrm posted:

I don't care what the content is or for what platform it's on or what the monster is or who breaks up

if another piece of Final Fantasy X content comes out I will buy it

This is how things like The After Years happen :(

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Barring Quina, everyone had some good scenes with each other.

Quina had the marriage scene with Vivi. Not really bothered that she didn't have much else to do, because there wasn't really much for her to do all told. I can't even remember why she joined the party in the first place really.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Quina gave the Crystal that created all life a good lick. If that doesn't make him/her awesome in your eyes, I don't know what to tell you. :colbert:

Edit: hahaha I just read a summary of the new audio drama for FFX. This is terrible guys, XIII terrible. Hope you all enjoy your X-3!

Krad fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 27, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

That loving Sned posted:

Are you loving serious? Please tell me this is only the case for FFX, please do not tell me there are a million loading screens in X-2 (I know there are skippable cutscenes so it should be golden there).

Dross posted:

This is how things like The After Years happen :(

The After Years also comes from a very dated Final Fantasy with a new ATB system and was written by people who were fans of FFIV that got put on the game. Presumably Square would put their actual writing staff on for X-3, but hey as long as it's fun to play it can be as dumb as it wants to be. FFV owns and that game is a loving evil tree trying to kill dudes.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 27, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

gently caress it, I'm just going to play FFX International in PCSX2. Someone has been streaming the game, and I watched the intro cutscene. Tidus and Yuna's faces look off compared to the PS2 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWSLa2g0d8

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
FFXIV is £10 on gamersgate right now, that's the lowest I've ever seen it. Just so you know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I stopped enjoying IV and V long before the halfway mark (still need to finish VI); IX is probably my least favorite game in the series; I still haven't maintained interest in VII long enough to finish the first disc (though I just bought it on Steam to try again in the near future, so fingers crossed); VIII is one of my favorites, and to date the only one I've played through twice; and I thought Tactics was pretty boring with the exception of Calculators and was relieved when I'd finished it.

This has to be a joke post.

:psyduck:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Looks like Tidus has been hitting the Blitzbong pretty hard in the last ten years.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The After Years also comes from a very dated Final Fantasy with a new ATB system and was written by people who were fans of FFIV that got put on the game. Presumably Square would put their actual writing staff on for X-3, but hey as long as it's fun to play it can be as dumb as it wants to be. FFV owns and that game is a loving evil tree trying to kill dudes.

I know why The After Years sucked, I'm just saying that the reason it was allowed to exist is "People liked FFIV so it will sell."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That loving Sned posted:

Square Enix need to hire some people who know what the gently caress a PC is already.

Maybe we'll get FFX HD Reborn 2.0 ?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I actually really don't like FFX. It's just...not good in my eyes. Doesn't mean I hate it or anything, I think Auron is really great and badass, I just don't want to ever play it again. Crisis Core was a really good game. Again, even though we all knew Zack was going to die, it was still an emotional ending when it did happen because Crisis Core filled out the blanks we had about him and we got to see Sephiroth when he wasn't a crazy jerk rear end in a top hat. That, and the fight with Sephiroth was pretty drat good.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Zaphod42 posted:

This has to be a joke post.

:psyduck:
No joke. I also really like IIIDS, strongly prefer it to V, and plan on buying the PSP version to replay it once it hits the $10 mark.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Armor-Piercing posted:

No joke. I also really like IIIDS, strongly prefer it to V

:stare:

Are you just... allergic to customization?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The search is over, the successor to Azure_Horizon has been found.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kyrosiris posted:

And also fun?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The search is over, the successor to Azure_Horizon has been found.

The shitposter is dead long live the shitposter

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Kyrosiris posted:

No, I generally love customization in RPGs. I get really into planning character/party builds, even when I'm not actually playing the game yet (I've had a Baldur's Gate party in the works for like a year now, waiting for when I eventually get to the Enhanced Edition).

I'm not sure I can really explain my preference for the III job system in a way that makes any sense. When I think about replaying III, though, I think along the lines of "I'm going to use a Scholar, and I'm going to take a Thief to steal attack items for him." When I think about replaying V, I think "ok, grind Red Mage to get X-Magic, stick that on my casters," and so on. It's less "what kind of strategy do I want to go for" and more "which skills do I grab to make my characters stupidly overpowered."

Again, I realize this isn't terribly good reasoning, since I could easily just play V and use the limits of III's system when planning my party, but there you have it.

I also don't care for the characters or writing in V, so that III has very little of either is a plus to me. That's really a big part of it, since it's also why I don't like most of the other FF games that I don't like.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

gently caress it, I'm just going to play FFX International in PCSX2. Someone has been streaming the game, and I watched the intro cutscene. Tidus and Yuna's faces look off compared to the PS2 version.

Yuna looks fine, though she looks even less Asian now.

quote:

Haha holy poo poo they found a way to make him look even more like Meg Ryan.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Armor-Piercing might not have popular opinions, but he isn't brain-dead and obnoxious about them like the banned rapist was.

And I agree with him that IIIDS is an enjoyable game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Yuna looks fine, though she looks even less Asian now.

Haha holy poo poo they found a way to make him look even more like Meg Ryan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dK5j8Kjbc

Yeah, Yuna looks fine. She's the same but just more detailed.

But wow, Tidus really does look like Meg Ryan.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Grabbed FFXIII in the boxing sale for a couple of quid, Played a bit.

Vanille continues to talk, and I have now witnessed her run animation.

Anyone want a copy of FFXIII?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Final Fantasy X-2.5 audio drama plot summary

Hahaha no. Just no. TAY 2.0

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wendell posted:

And I agree with him that IIIDS is an enjoyable game.

I disagree, only because I have played the original (emulated, but still), and the boneheaded changes in IIIDS are exasperating (like making the Sage/Ninja useless, etc) when I know what the original is like.

They somehow made the game harder and more tedious without implementing modern quality of life functionality like loving save points. Why?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you like IIIDS you suck and have bad taste in games. Why? Because that game is made to be difficult for no reason and the encounter rate is high for no reason. Basically it's no fun to play so unless you are autistic and enjoy a really dumb boring slow awful grindy game you should really dislike this bad game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

1st AD posted:

If you like IIIDS you suck and have bad taste in games. Why? Because that game is made to be difficult for no reason and the encounter rate is high for no reason. Basically it's no fun to play so unless you are autistic and enjoy a really dumb boring slow awful grindy game you should really dislike this bad game.

Goddamn, maybe you should look in the mirror and re-evaluate your investment in other people's tastes! We all play Final Fantasy here so we're all dumb autistics who love bad games. Every game is the worst in the series, remember?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope this means Jecht can come back and the only thing he does is make fun of Tidus and Yuna for being dumb.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

What. :psyduck:

Are you sure this isn't just really awful fanfiction? This isn't genuine, surely!? I mean, I know SE's been pumping out some poo poo in the writing department, lately...but this is something else.

[e]: And I missed the source video at the top of the link thread. Holy christ, hire some actual writers SE! :stare:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 27, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Wait, there was only one Shoopuf left in the whole world and they used it for slave labor in FFX? I never knew that. :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Krad posted:

Wait, there was only one Shoopuf left in the whole world and they used it for slave labor in FFX? I never knew that. :psyduck:

"Enshlave ze Shoopuf?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Suddenly I miss the (comparatively) masterful writing of Dirge of Cerberus and Internet-Hojo.

e:
Also Hundreds of Japanese Gamers Return Lightning Returns After Finding Out It’s Not a Dress-up Sim It's a month old but I find it hilarious. And I need something funny after reading that FFX summary.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 27, 2013

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

That loving Sned posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWSLa2g0d8

Hahahaha I can't wait!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krad posted:

Yeah I don't think thats ever mentioned like even once. Everyone discusses them like its a plural creature.

Good god the writing for that audio drama is deplorable and stinks of all the exact same sequel writing flaws SE has done each and every time. Assuming we get a FFX-3 I'm gonna guess the new man is either real Tidus back from dream Zanarkand or its her son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The writers got too close to Sin's toxin.