Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Stroll of the Colossi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Giantstar Galactica(seriously the plots are eerily similar)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Attack On Acromegaly.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 30, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Goliath Blitzkrieg

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Behemoth Banzai

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Seige on Saturn's Moon

If a Hollywood live action film were to be made, I would honestly be fascinated to see how/whether they change the name - everyone who knows what it is is used to it (and you'd be buying the name recognition anyway), but if you're going for a mainstream audience that's a lot of people reading three words of nonsense.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Giant Killing. :v:

In weird news:

Attack on Titan-themed perfume line

http://www.capsulecomputers.asia/2013/09/smell-like-a-giant-killing-soldier-with-attack-on-titan-perfume/

quote:

The world of Anime and Manga is indeed a strange and scary one, especially when huge series’, much like Attack On Titan, decide to move into merchandising with what seems like no boundaries as to what they want or are willing to do. Well it has just been announced that three different perfumes are to be released, each of which reflect on a certain character from the hit Anime and Manga Attack On Titan. “Finally!” I screamed as I read this news “I can cloud myself in the smell of blood and iron! The ladies will love it!”, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one though. This is absolutely true by the way, the company making it has already said that the fragrances will be based on Eren, Mikasa and the crowd favourite Levi. Each are to have their own individual and unique scents.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 27, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This may sound weird but they are probably doing poo poo like this for Hunger Games and whatnot.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Imagine a damp, stinky, bloodstained scarf. Mikasa. The nose itching fragrance of dust. Levy. A dude who spends half his time in a meat man. Eren.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Sounds great, where do i send my money?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I feel like the idea of cologne for this anime was brought up before and it was decided that Levi's would smell of cleaning products and such.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yet they're not making one for the other most popular character. gently caress, potatoes and sausage wouldn't be a difficult thing to make at all.

the last page posted:

alternate titles

Slicin' Some Struttin' Strappin' Psychopaths

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 27, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Missing Name posted:

Slicin' Some Struttin' Strappin' Psychopaths

No, no, we're supposed to kill the titans, not the main characters. :rimshot:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Missing Name posted:

Yet they're not making one for the other most popular character. gently caress, potatoes and sausage wouldn't be a difficult thing to make at all.

But I already smell like that :confused:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Szmitten posted:

Seige on Saturn's Moon

Stupid speculation with the muv luv stuff because I had the same idea: The whole thing is actually about a colony of humans on a terraformed planet (which explains the geography), and the titans are biological mining/construction tools that have been taken over by the monkey titan. Eren has a "foreman" power that was normally used to control them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sounds like Muv Luv.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

I read "three perfumes" and thought "It'd make most sense to make the three main characters, but there's no love for Armin" and I was right.

If you want to feel better about our strange English title, when I asked around some older folks in Japan, including a Japanese teacher, they were initially apparently confused by "shingeki", apparently it's not a particularly common word. Or at least that was my understanding. They got a weird title too, so I guess ours is appropriate as well.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

muike posted:

Sounds like Muv Luv.
Sounds like my ex-wife!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Someone post spoilers about just what the hell Muv Luv and its big reveals is about because I have no intention of actually watching/reading it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There are aliens and they eat people.

e: oh and no matter what you do, you're probably going to lose

muike fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 28, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Szmitten posted:

Seige on Saturn's Moon

When I first heard about AOT this is what I thought it would be.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Someone post spoilers about just what the hell Muv Luv and its big reveals is about because I have no intention of actually watching/reading it.

I've yet actually read it myself since I can't really find the motivation to do so, but from what I know;

Muv luv is split up into three parts. The first is a generic high-school rom-com at the end of which the protagonist gets teleported to an alternate reality where the last of the human race is struggling to survive against an alien invasion bent on their destruction. He is quickly conscripted in to the dwindling military (which is now almost entirely staffed by female child soldiers, because they ran out of adult soldiers and then ran out of the male child soldiers. This is mostly an excuse to put teenage girls in skin tight bodysuits with see-through fronts.). Character development and PTSD happens. Then the third part which I am told is the awesome bit.

The big reveal is this;

The endless army of apparently non-sentient aliens that are destroying the planet are not intentionally destroying the human civilization. It turns out that they are actually Von-Neumann probes working for a massive inter galactic civilization and are supposed to avoid systems inhabited by intelligent life. However an oversight in their programming causes their scouts not to realize that humans are sentient and instead classifies them as "hostile/dangerous wildlife". This is the reason why they seem to have no real objectives or goals beyond destroying everything.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 28, 2013

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

More Muv Luv stuff: Actually they don't even classify Earth life as "life", because they think it is impossible for life to be carbon based. The creators of the BETA are silicon-based and their carbon-based BETA are the equivalent of AIs. That's why they care a lot more about machines with advanced equipment, they were trying to make contact with our computers rather than ourselves.

They are also never really trying to actually destroy humanity, because they only consider us a natural disaster they kinda sorta have to deal with if they're going to keep mining carbon-based resources. And because they are so much more efficient than us they just throw superior numbers at everything until problems sort itself out. Some of the most terrifying moments of the series come from the few times in which they actually bother to use strategy after acknowledging humans as a threat.

But the other big point of comparison with Muv Luv is that it is a work with a pretty big nationalistic subtext. The main character is put through a lot of cultural clash trying to reconcile his modern way of thinking with more traditional beliefs. While some of this is done kinda poorly (Americans are unrepentant assholes) I will say that it does manage to paint things like honor, duty and loyalty as Good Things despite being mostly a very cynical and sadistic piece of fiction.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 28, 2013

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I know this is a longshot, but do any of the people who've played Muv-Luv know of a way to get it for Mac? (Or alternatively, know of any good Let's Plays of it) I don't have enough memory on mine to even do a Bootcamp windows partition, but want to see what it's like after reading the non-spoilery posts about it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
OK, so I've just watched the first two episodes of Muv Luv Alternative and it would seem kind of obvious for the military to nuke the gently caress out of those things when they took over Korea and then heavily mine the coastal areas, lay out carpets of cluster ammunition in front of the advancing waves and mop up any survivors. Those things seem vulnerable to artillery fire so I doubt they are any more resistant underneath. Is there any reason given why instead of nuking those things they prefer to waste resources building huge robots, send people in them to the meat grinder until they have to resort to sending scantly clad young girls?

It's kind of grating on me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yes, but Total Eclipse doesn't really do a good job of portraying it. The BETA have a strain that are basically giant eyeballs that can shoot poo poo out of the air with perfect accuracy, so bombers aren't an option unless the laser class are all taken out. As far as mines, they do do that, but the BETA just keep going. They do use artillery bombardment and tanks, but the Destroyer class is nearly impervious to them.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So, gently caress it, just nuke them. It can't get any worse.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can't get the nukes close enough so long as the laser class are around. After taking those out with whatever you've got, they use conventional warheads, since nukes aren't really that much more effective compared to standard warheads in major quantities.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Which is still dumb as poo poo because if you have a high accuracy long range instant hit weapon, you can use it to shoot giant robots 2km away from you as well as planes 2km above you. The Germans loving loved using 88s on tanks.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's still pretty much what happens. The only reason TSFs get the edge on laser class when they're coming head on is that laser class never ever ever hit their allies and you can kinda use them as cover. That's what makes tanks pretty well defended against them, most strains are way bigger than tanks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

muike posted:

You can't get the nukes close enough so long as the laser class are around. After taking those out with whatever you've got, they use conventional warheads, since nukes aren't really that much more effective compared to standard warheads in major quantities.

Come on, if they can land regular artillery shells they can land nuclear shells. And the mechas seem to be able to cut it as long as they stay close to the ground so I don't see why a handful of nuclear tipped tomahawks would't.

God drat, put a nuke in a truck, place it in their path and detonate when they reach it. Repeat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not saying blowing them up is bad or anything, nukes just aren't really that great against poo poo in practice, even in real life. As far as the tomahawks go, that would be loving cool

e: and I think the main reason they don't use them in muv-luv is that they don't want to leave a whole bunch of blasted nuclear hellscapes all over their countries when the beta will just come back again. so they settle for regular hellscapes.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

quote:

alternate titles

Macro Fetish Monthly. :v:

:gonk:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ak Gara posted:

Macro Fetish Monthly. :v:

:gonk:

Welcome to the World of Vore :burpcrack:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I miss RMS titan. I want more titans to give stupid nicknames to.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Shadow0 posted:

I read "three perfumes" and thought "It'd make most sense to make the three main characters, but there's no love for Armin" and I was right.

Nobody wants to wear the scent of fear.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Fowl posted:

Nobody wants to wear the scent of fear.

Perhaps in the earlier chapters, yes, but this is no longer the look of someone who is experiencing fear:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
A noob's guide to Muv Luv:

MeLKoR posted:

OK, so I've just watched the first two episodes of Muv Luv Alternative
It's kind of grating on me.

Don't watch Total Eclipse, it's a mostly pretty crap spinoff.

You should read the Muv Luv trilogy.

MeLKoR posted:

So, gently caress it, just nuke them. It can't get any worse.

IIRC Canada is basically one big irradiated hellhole because when the BETA landed in North America the United States went "gently caress that noise" and launched a shitload of nukes on them before they could set up shop. Nukes work fine against a fresh hive but wouldn't do much other than damage the big monument thing on top of a hive. You could wipe some BETA out with a nuke but there's an endless number coming out of the hives so there's no point.

Also if you want to chat about Muv Luv you should go to the VN thread because the VN thread loves to chat about Muv Luv.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Alternate title: extreme short man syndrome