Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Really awesome battle where a paralyzed Mandibuzz takes out three pokes to give me a win. Also, some new puny names for those who liked them before. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-72778749

Is there a reason my battle point score reset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MustelaFuro posted:

Really awesome battle where a paralyzed Mandibuzz takes out three pokes to give me a win. Also, some new puny names for those who liked them before. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-72778749

Is there a reason my battle point score reset?

The ladder reset because Smogon merged the bank and nonbank metagames.

Also: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-72780083 Support Raichu :3:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I really gotta wonder who at Nintendo thought it would be a good idea to launch Pokemon Bank so close after Christmas. I'm not upset because everyone was calling it that this exact thing would happen months in advance, but they could've saved everyone a lot of disappointment if they had just done it in January.

I've got my hands on a Mudkip thanks to Wonder Trade though! So that's exciting.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 27, 2013

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-72781031

And here we see someone who doesn't know what Magic Bounce is. I could understand not knowing that Xatu had MB but the fact that I just threw status after status back at him should have been a good indicator.
Also I don't know why he was using Pignite... I assumed some kind of gimmick.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

All of a sudden everyone is using legendaries in doubles battles. WTF.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Legendaries as in? If you mean celebis, terrakion, and landorus, I don't see a problem?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MustelaFuro posted:

All of a sudden everyone is using legendaries in doubles battles. WTF.

Smogon Doubles allows anything that isn't banned from the doubles ladder. If you want certain legendaries removed you'll have to fight on Battle Spot or VGC 2014. Also Smogon Doubles was merged with Smogon Pokebank Doubles, just like OU was merged with Pokebank OU.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
With Dittos, do they always act as the "mother" when breeding with another pokemon, meaning the children will always have whatever pokeball the ditto was caught in? I have Heart Gold and am curious if I can just use that to get every one of the apricorn pokeballs into X/Y when Pokebank opens up.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Desperate Character posted:

With Dittos, do they always act as the "mother" when breeding with another pokemon, meaning the children will always have whatever pokeball the ditto was caught in? I have Heart Gold and am curious if I can just use that to get every one of the apricorn pokeballs into X/Y when Pokebank opens up.

If you breed a ditto with a male pokemon the Ditto will act as the female so in that scenario yes, if you breed a female with a ditto it will act as a male and the female will pass down its pokeball.

Edit: Look at the post below me for the correct answer because I am a dumb.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 27, 2013

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Dittos never pass their pokeballs. Only a female pokemon will pass their ball, unless its a master ball or cherish ball.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
Am I too late to beg a contrary shukle or a truant Durant from you?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Raichu Support is funny

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-72797917

I just wish I didn't also pack EQ on every other pokemon and that I had room for Protect on my Raichu's set (Encore/Fake Out/Discharge/Nuzzle).

Also Scrafty is an awkward Quick Guard user :smith:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

MrFlibble posted:

Dittos never pass their pokeballs. Only a female pokemon will pass their ball, unless its a master ball or cherish ball.

Oh I could have sworn it was whatever passed down the species also passed its pokeball type onto the newly hatched Pokemon.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The first goon tournament of gen 6 has just finished, check out the Goonleague thread if you are interested. There'll probably be a bunch of videos posted.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
So the christmas mode is pretty funny:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/seasonalchristmascharade-72804320

It's challenge cup with a move replaced with present, which is sometimes awesome and sometimes awful.

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

Is there any bonus for getting all the Unown letters in X/Y? I remember they unlocked being able to write letters with them back in the day. Seems like everybody on the GTS wants them.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

MrFlibble posted:

drat that sucks then. It would have taken me a full week to get every type of ball anyways :v:

For people who collected Unown was it easier to do it in Heart Gold or Platinum? I have both with me and I figure I can just collect them all while we wait for pokebank to re-open. I'm restarting Heart Gold right now to use the spare Master Ball I have in Platinum for catching Entei and Raikou (I spent way to long failing to catch them normally and breeding in those games feels so slow :negative:)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Zoness posted:

Raichu Support is funny

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-72797917

I just wish I didn't also pack EQ on every other pokemon and that I had room for Protect on my Raichu's set (Encore/Fake Out/Discharge/Nuzzle).

Also Scrafty is an awkward Quick Guard user :smith:

Why did you have a Jumpluff on a Dark Souls themed team?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well, I dunno if it's standard procedure, but every time I watch my roommate play Dark Souls it always involves a lot of jumping off cliffs.

Desperate Character posted:

For people who collected Unown was it easier to do it in Heart Gold or Platinum? I have both with me and I figure I can just collect them all while we wait for pokebank to re-open.
Platinum, definitely. Pretty sure the entire alphabet is available to you as soon as you reach... Solaceon town? I think? And it's a very straightforward dungeon. I was just going to stick with the ones I had but now I'm starting to think I should go ahead and take advantage of the delay to complete the set. Every search I've run on GTS has at least one person offering what I wanted for an Unown.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
If somebody could catch me a female (preferably, male will also do) technician breloom from my safari and trade me it I can give you a chimchar or a cyndaquil!

My Fc is 4785 5531 0696

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rangpur posted:

Platinum, definitely. Pretty sure the entire alphabet is available to you as soon as you reach... Solaceon town? I think? And it's a very straightforward dungeon. I was just going to stick with the ones I had but now I'm starting to think I should go ahead and take advantage of the delay to complete the set. Every search I've run on GTS has at least one person offering what I wanted for an Unown.

Well, not entirely. You need to catch all the letters before you get access to the ! and ? variants. It is still definitely more convenient than HGSS, to be sure.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I made my first ever attempt at a doubles team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-72825961

Pokemon is easy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I wondertraded a boatload of Misdreavuses that I bred yesterday, and GTSed one for a Yamask. Cofagrigus looks super cool, but maybe it's too bulky for just a story mode team?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Catching Unown in D/P/Pt lets Hippopotas become more common in the cave the guy digs out on Route 214, I believe (quickly checking means I'm correct, I've memorized the route locations, help), the one south of Veilstone. After catching them all, you can get ? and ! and a couple of items, so a lot more useful then getting them in other games and finding them is pretty easy, since F, R, I, E, N and D are found in their own corridors and the rest are in the side rooms. Pretty simple.

In Hg/Ss, they were unlocked after solving the puzzles, but didn't do anything for catching them all, aside from filling out the Unown Report. And they do nothing in Gen V. It'd be a bit strange if they did something in Gen VI, since getting them across two generations is a bit of work.

We'll either have to catch the Unown again in either the next games, or the next gen, since it's been a little while since they've been so readily available.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
So I've already bred up a 5iv milotic for kind of a gimmick team role, was wondering if I could get some advice on a move slot choice?

Milotic @ assault vest
Competitive
Modest
Surf/scald
Ice beam
Mirror coat
Wrap

She's specifically built for destroying special attackers. I'm wondering whether I should go with surf for the extra power, or scald for the chance to burn the physical attackers who are gonna inevitably gently caress this milotic up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LAY-ZX posted:

I made my first ever attempt at a doubles team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-72825961

Pokemon is easy.

Normally I'd chastise you for not using Imprison to block Protect before starting the fireworks but, uh. Hm.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

How do I report someone battling with a team that is clearly ubers?

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

MustelaFuro posted:

What was he using?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Assuming you mean Smogon, their systems in place straight up lock you out of joining the queue for a tier your team doesn't qualify for. So you can build an otherwise-UU team and slap Mewtwo on it, but it'll only let you queue up for Ubers. In other words, either there was a bug in the system, or his team is legal and fine - Plenty of legendaries don't fit under "ubers," because they're mediocre.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MustelaFuro posted:

You couldn't have been since the system literally doesn't let Ubers in if you put them into a team. Try it out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

We'll either have to catch the Unown again in either the next games, or the next gen, since it's been a little while since they've been so readily available.

Hell, isn't there stuff that isn't obtainable outside of transferring from Gen 3? Poor Treecko...

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Does anyone know any good pokemon for double-screening other than Espeon? Just want to look at my options so any suggestions are appreciated.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Inudeku posted:

What was he using?

SCRUB TOTEM's team: Kyurem-Black / Gardevoir / Suicune / Victini / Zapdos / Chandelure

Is that really a legal team? I can use a Victini and Kyurem?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

BattleCake posted:

Does anyone know any good pokemon for double-screening other than Espeon? Just want to look at my options so any suggestions are appreciated.

Klefki and Bronzong are two good ones I can think of off the top of my head.

e: Yes, Victini and Kyurem-B are legal. Kyurem's other forms aren't, and Victini actually isn't even OU.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

MustelaFuro posted:

SCRUB TOTEM's team: Kyurem-Black / Gardevoir / Suicune / Victini / Zapdos / Chandelure

Absolutely. Zapdos, Victini, and Suicune aren't even OU.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MustelaFuro posted:

Yup; Smogon's tiers are decided based on usage and pretty much nothing else. The only reason certain Pokemon are "banned" (sent to Ubers) is because they overcentralize the metagame, or a few other, similar reasons. It's why you'll see Regigigas hanging out in the lowest division, and a couple random pokes like Victini and friends shuffle between OU and UU.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Main Paineframe posted:

Hell, isn't there stuff that isn't obtainable outside of transferring from Gen 3? Poor Treecko...

You can get the Hoenn starters from HG/SS, same with Unown. There's nothing that is in Gen 3 that cannot be obtained in other games, save perhaps a way to access a 'legitimate' Mew with a cheating device in Emerald.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

That takes a lot of fun out of the game. Especially since I like full-team doubles, and doubles doesn't have extensive tiering.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

MustelaFuro posted:

That takes a lot of fun out of the game. Especially since I like full-team doubles, and doubles doesn't have extensive tiering.

You have to realize legendary doesn't mean that they're good. Zapdos is garbage for instance. As is Suicune. And a ton of them like uxie and mespirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
If anything it's even more fun wrecking someone's poo poo with a fun team in doubles when all they use is legendaries.

• Locked thread