Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Damnit goons, making another horrible game sound fun.

Evilreaver posted:

Alrighty, major bug/grief thing found- if you break into someone's house and use their sleeping roll (or bring your own), you've basically got a permanent free ride in, and they can't kick you out. (...) we had to build a spawn trap. He'd spawn there even after the bedroll was gone, and we had to put someone on "Kill Pendant" duty. (...)

Pendent posted:

I actually couldn't change my spawn while I was dead for some reason. (...)

kedo posted:

(...) I barely noticed as a player spawned directly in front of me and died on some spikes I had placed. (...)

Sounds like some potential for loving with people. Kinda depends on how the actual mechanics work, obviously.

Step 1: find or create a desirable location people might want to save their spawnpoint. Maybe arrange a "no PK zone" public safehouse/respawn/bunker/trade-post. Gentleman's agreement optional.
Step 2: convince pubs to save in one particular room by setting up a bunch of beds(?)
Steps 3~n: periodically remove the beds and change the floor into murder-spikes to trap people in death-loop until Pendent's bug(?) gets fixed (then find another trick).
Step n+1: laugh as the same people fall for the same trick every single time.

pseudo-edit

the dad farm posted:

This is Stagger, i really want us to create a safehouse that we can keep for the long term. I am tired of packing poo poo up constantly.
:v:

Build two of them. One as hive of goon villainy and the other as a honeypot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the dad farm posted:

This is Stagger, i really want us to create a safehouse that we can keep for the long term. I am tired of packing poo poo up constantly.

E: yeah YellerBill i think i killed you, sorry brah we are a tough street gang.

I'll be hopping on for the 1st time tonight, and I'm definitely down to scrounge to help build a safehouse.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So can zombies climb trees? What is to stop people from making treeforts?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Philosopher King posted:

So can zombies climb trees? What is to stop people from making treeforts?

The zombies will break the supports?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bit the bullet on this, gonna jump in once it finishes installing. Looking forward to wrecking poo poo with goons.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Prokhor posted:

The zombies will break the supports?

So then how smart are they? and if a support breaks will it kill everything above that support entirely, or just a few and everything adjusts?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Philosopher King posted:

So then how smart are they? and if a support breaks will it kill everything above that support entirely, or just a few and everything adjusts?

Depends on the structure, really. If zombies keep tunneling into the hill I live on top of, eventually part of the tunnel might collapse on them without supports. But there's a concrete platform making up the floor of my base, and that's likely to not collapse when the sandstone under it collapses.

However, there's been stories posted of houses collapsing with survivors still on the roof/attic because zombies broke enough walls.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

kedo posted:

But it's still fun. I got my $29 worth. Sadly Archonex's server appears to be down this morning, so I can't go and see his zombie death machine :(

I fixed it. Appears some sort of crash occurred while I was asleep. Let me know through the thread if there's any more problems.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
We DO have a secret hideout on the map, I won't divulge the location here, and any of the old bases are essentially honeypots. I'll get on mumble in a few and if the server is up yet I'll guide folks to it.

Also YellerBill, I was the one that suggested we make you follow us at gunpoint. We all thought you were a pubby and we briefly considered murdering you, but decided that you didn't have anything and weren't worth the shotgun shell. :v:

And yeah zombies will dig through the ground to get at you, they are absolutely relentless, though they can only get so far before day breaks and everyone moves outside to finish them off. Trick is to line your base with hard materials like wood covered rebar and concrete, and line the outsides with several layers of two block deep pit spikes and barbed wire fences. Lot of work, but even then you'll still take potshots.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 27, 2013

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Lol, don't bother with the server. Lots of dicks

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
If you made some effort to identify yourself as a non-pubbie, you would have been shot 100% less. We've been dealing with an infestation of pubbies spawning on us, despite the lack of a bed / spawn location.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
I've been playing this game a while and I have discovered one trick to make a much better safe house.

Zombies can't destroy blocks UNDER them.

What you have to do is gather a decent amount of basic supplies + seeds, dig a vertical shaft (not in the sand!), and then replace the dirt above you after you hollow out a small room under ground.

You will want to make your initial shaft pretty deep so that the weight of zombies above does not collapse your initial rooms from sheer weight of numbers, but once you make some concrete you can put a layer up on the ceiling as reinforcement.

At that point you just need to plant some seeds, put some light sources around them, and grow your food.

To raid the surface just make a tunnel to another location and dig a stairway back up. Don't forget to drop some dirt down over your escape hole so other people/zombies don't go down while you are gone.

TL;DR - Play this game like you are a tunnel rat back in Nam.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So how would this play as a loner single-player experience, you against the world?

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Speedball posted:

So how would this play as a loner single-player experience, you against the world?

You need friends.

And enemies. :black101:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I spent 2 hours looking for the drat goon hideout and couldn't find it for poo poo. I'm near Gravetown, how far off am I?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm about to buy this, and the anticipation is killing me.

By the way, do we have an official Mumble (or Vent, etc.) server up yet? Think it'd go a long way towards helping out in the early-game.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah it would be nice to know what comms we're using because I'm not sure if it's you guys killing me over and over again or just some pubbies.

Edit: Okay it's the mumble listed on the first page.

Yar The Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 27, 2013

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Just make a channel in Camping the Stairs, as usual.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well that was a fun afternoon. Highlights:

- Goonhole has grown massively. When I logged there was a fully operational corn farm, someone working on a blueberry farm, living area, tons of fridges and chests full of water, food, guns, etc. There's even a flat screen TV! Or half of one, anyways. I don't even know where half the tunnels lead (because I'm too lazy to go look). We have a serious door problem, though.

- Pigs are the wiliest of all prey. Watching the dad farm wildly chase one in and out of buildings, spraying it with his 9mm was hilarious.

- The destroyed factory is actually a great place to farm weapons and ammo, as zombies still spawn there in droves but have no darkness to hide in.

Drak was talking about this while we were out scavenging, but we definitely need to set up an outpost in the green area for hunting. We've already canvassed the majority of the western side of the map for food at this point.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I put the mumble info at the top of the OP. In all seriousness, get on it, since everyone is usually there and a lot of people seem to get frustrated without the help rolling with goons can bring.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Zombies can't destroy blocks UNDER them.

They sure can! But it takes a while. I holed up in a basement once, and watched in horror as cracks sprung up in my 'roof' tiles. Also as dogs broke the basement windows and bit me.

Zombies seem to have trouble going through any barrier 2 squares thick- they tend to not chew on 2-thick walls (but they will eventually) and don't seem to attack 2-thick floors much at all either.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You're not supposed to easily find goonhole, ya dolts. That's the point.

I'm pretty much the expedition leader at this point, rallying the new goons to go hunting and scavenging and directing them where to hole up for the nights for some zombie shootin action.

Also, GET IN MUMBLE don't have a Mic? Get in it anyway and respond to what we're saying in normal chat (t) to prove it. You'll live longer and not be shot on suspicion of pubbieism.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Lovely, of loving course this has to be the only Steam game I've ever had trouble getting to start up. :sigh:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Also, do yourselves a favor and before you join, go into options and change your player skin to anything but the default brown jacket man. Most pubbies wear that and they're the first ones we point our guns at to check, goon or no.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So it was discussed in mumble, do we want to reset the server, or move to a 64 player server and interact with pubbies? A lot of the long term play comes from the interactions players get up too when resources run dry.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
Everywhere I've read about this game except here says it's utter poo poo. The premise and mechanics sound fun to me but all the bad talk makes me apprehensive. Can anyone sell me on this for $30 or should I pass? I realize this may be the wrong place to ask since everyone here seems to have a blast. Also, how does leaving the server work, does your character stay behind? Can anyone open your door and walk into your fort, if not, how are doors handled?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

SuperNuts posted:

Everywhere I've read about this game except here says it's utter poo poo. The premise and mechanics sound fun to me but all the bad talk makes me apprehensive. Can anyone sell me on this for $30 or should I pass? I realize this may be the wrong place to ask since everyone here seems to have a blast. Also, how does leaving the server work, does your character stay behind? Can anyone open your door and walk into your fort, if not, how are doors handled?

The game itself is kinda lovely because it's early alpha but it's fun playing with goons and living in a post-apocalyptic frat house eating corn all day erryday.

Players disappear when they log out, and all players can open all doors but zombies cannot open doors.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:

YellerBill posted:

The game itself is kinda lovely because it's early alpha but it's fun playing with goons and living in a post-apocalyptic frat house eating corn all day erryday.

Players disappear when they log out, and all players can open all doors but zombies cannot open doors.

drat, so anyone could just waltz into a base and loot their chests or whatever?

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
There's absolutely nothing stopping people from just opening up your doors and stealing your stuff, unless you build a load of traps to stop them, or hide your valuable stuff.

As for the reset, I think that it might be a good idea, so that everyone who's interested in playing can join at once in a more organized way, rather then just people wandering in over time as they have for the past day or so.

I'd also be down for some 64 player action as a group if anyone's interested, wander into people's areas and messing around, possibly setting up our own little settlement.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperNuts posted:

drat, so anyone could just waltz into a base and loot their chests or whatever?

There are very few static PVP defenses- Anyone with a pick can bore your walls, and all traps (spikes, barbed wire) can just be picked up with E. Permanent bases have to either be well hidden or built on the expectation of being looted.

I'd like regular resets, perhaps bi-nightly. Around Jan 5 I'm going to be able to set up a server, and we might have a long-running cooperative server and a short-reset brawl server running. I'd vote against invading someone else's 64-player server, but only because I'm a nice guy and don't like inconveniencing/trolling others. On the other hand, I'm not so against it that I wouldn't take part :getin:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

There are very few static PVP defenses- Anyone with a pick can bore your walls, and all traps (spikes, barbed wire) can just be picked up with E. Permanent bases have to either be well hidden or built on the expectation of being looted.

Tree trunk tips can't be picked up, and are a bitch to deconstruct. Hence the pungi pit of doom outside the pubbie spawn. :v:

The hidden base thing is also why we have our main base hidden from sight on the map. We could also trap the place if we wanted. Some rudimentary tests of weak floors has shown me that it's possible to make a trapped floor that collapses when you walk across it. This leads to players falling into a pit. Putting a (empty) chest on the other side of the pit could lead to hilarity if there were spikes down there.

I'm up for moving to a populated server. Or spreading the current server link around so that we get more people to torment and raid forever if people want that instead. I can up the number of players the server supports if we get more. Yesterday, at our peak, we had like 15-17 people on of the 20 or so slots. So that's a thing I may need to address.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 28, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Whew, finally managed to get it running after having tons of issues with it refusing to launch despite repeated uninstalls/reinstalls and following as much of the official instructions as I could. Ended up having to look this up on the Steam forum (source):

quote:

go to C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die.
in that folder you will see:
Install_32bit.bat
press it and it will install.
now go to C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\Install\32bit
right click on
7DaysToDie.exe and press copy
now go back to C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die and right click on an empty space on the screen and press paste. it will ask you to copy and replace or dont copy. press copy and replace and try your game then.

if youre on a 64 bit machine just change wherever i said 32 to 64

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

This game is so janky, but it is kind of fun. I feel like the $30 price tag was a weeee bit high ($15 seems more appropriate) especially due to how bizarrely the zombies animate. A lot of mechanics are obtuse, too; I still have no idea how to load my shotgun. I also die, a lot, and today when I loaded up my game my inventory was empty of all the things I had gathered last night on my trip to the northern borders. I'm not sure why.

Also I just killed some dude who spawned in the place I was holing up for the night. I'm sorry, random dude, but Day-Z taught me never to trust strangers. Ever.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So should I go buy/play day z first before getting this? Why is it that Day Z is so much more popular? Is it because this game had a failed launch back in October over that whole legal issue thing?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Day Z has been around for a year and a half now and was a mod to a game on a mostly functional engine.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Server should be back up. Rebooted the machine and installed much needed OS updates.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
So am I missing something or is there some reason that I can't reload some guns? I have shitloads of pistol ammo, and a pistol, but reload does nothing.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Underwhelmed posted:

So am I missing something or is there some reason that I can't reload some guns? I have shitloads of pistol ammo, and a pistol, but reload does nothing.

You need to have both the ammo and gun in your hotbar in order to reload. I had to ask someone on Mumble about that as well.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Does anyone else have the problem where you lose your entire inventory when you enter the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

OGS-Remix posted:

You need to have both the ammo and gun in your hotbar in order to reload. I had to ask someone on Mumble about that as well.

I thought I tried that, but maybe not. I guess I know now the next time I play. Thanks.