Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

jackyl posted:

Wait. Holy poo poo. I read the article a lot earlier apparently because none of this was in that. They had extra tanks at 130'? With air?

Yeah, the article top-to-bottom is different from when it was first posted, and a lot more pictures now, incidentally. There was plenty originally ("Spivey did not have his cave cert, Sanchez was completely uncertified") to draw the correct conclusions, but it gets exponentially stupider with each additional detail now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I'm glad I found this thread! I've been in love with the ocean all my life, from outrigger canoeing to surfing to snorkeling and spear fishing (Hawaiian sling), but only have nine OW dives since I got my PADI OW cert six years ago. My girlfriend recently got her OW cert after doing her qual dives at Lake Rawlings, and after we got four stellar dives in off Isla Mujeres a few weeks ago, I think we've found a hobby that we can really share as a couple (she hasn't quite taken to my other love, mountain biking, and I'm not going to force that one.)

I had a bunch of photos from IM and a snorkeling session here in SoCal (where I am for the holidays), but the Awful app wouldn't upload them. I think my goal for next year will be to get my AOW cert and explore some shark dives I. The Bahamas. At the very least, it's going to be nice to be able to get back in the ocean more.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Can anybody identify this thing? It was off of Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach.

Also, there are millions of juvenile fish around at the moment, including juvinile garibaldi, which are one of my favorites:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
RE: Camera Theft

I was taking a picture and it was then that my attention was diverted. The thief ran full speed behind me, snatching the camera as he went by. I chased him a bit but figured getting myself further injured / hit by a car was not worth the 200 dollars it'd cost to replace it.

The camera I lost was a Fujifilm Finepix F300 EXR. I found a Finepix F500 EXR at Greenbelt Mall.

And yes, I was warned by a lot of people about Manila. If my original travel plans went off without a hitch, it wouldn't have happened. Alas, disaster and fuckups reared, and I was stuck with days in Manila with no way to turn them into something more enjoyable / productive.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Howdy posted:

Yeah, the article top-to-bottom is different from when it was first posted, and a lot more pictures now, incidentally. There was plenty originally ("Spivey did not have his cave cert, Sanchez was completely uncertified") to draw the correct conclusions, but it gets exponentially stupider with each additional detail now.

They also seem to add some really unneccessary details about the father's randomly being declared a sex offender for consensual statutory rape. The guy made some dumb mistakes and ended up dying, but that's just kicking him when he's down :(

lemonsaresour
Feb 17, 2011
I bought a used Marius reg set from my dive shop a few months ago and used it for the first time today. Everything was working smoothly on the surface in the boat, but when I got down to about 15 feet it started making this really awful squeaking/squealing noise with every inhale. It wasn't difficult to pull through and it didn't stop me from completing my dive, but it got really loving annoying by the 30 minute mark. I've had a squeak now and then with the rented regs but it usually sorts itself out. This just never stopped until I got to the surface. I'm going to bring it to my dive shop as soon as I'm back in town, but does anyone know what this could be?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

lemonsaresour posted:

I'm going to bring it to my dive shop as soon as I'm back in town, but does anyone know what this could be?

Not precisely, but if it's on the inhale then it's some part of the valve vibrating. If the reg has any sort of external adjustment that allows you to play with the amount of suction necessary to open the valve, try fiddling with it. It likely won't take much movement in either direction to get to a region where the valve doesn't vibrate at the same frequency. Think of it like any other system that has a vibration mode in a location that's inconvenient/annoying: a little bit of adjustment to the spring constant can move the frequency around. If there's no external adjustment then you'll need to have someone knowledgeable take a look.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
A friend of mine really wants to dive North Carolina this summer and do some of the wrecks.

It sounds like a lot of fun, but I want to make sure I'm prepared. I have my SSI OW cert but only 8 dives to date. I'll do a few more in Monterrey in the next month (assuming it's not too cold).

It looks like the fun dives in NC are all below 100ft, but that there are a few around 60ft. Im content to stick with the shallower stuff, but Im sure my friend will want to do the U-boat. I don't think she has anything more than an OW cert, but has done a lot more diving than me.

Am I going to be able to do anything exciting in NC or should I shell out for a wreck diving course. Or at least just do a bunch more dives before taking the trip?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

lemonsaresour posted:

I bought a used Marius reg set from my dive shop a few months ago and used it for the first time today. Everything was working smoothly on the surface in the boat, but when I got down to about 15 feet it started making this really awful squeaking/squealing noise with every inhale. It wasn't difficult to pull through and it didn't stop me from completing my dive, but it got really loving annoying by the 30 minute mark. I've had a squeak now and then with the rented regs but it usually sorts itself out. This just never stopped until I got to the surface. I'm going to bring it to my dive shop as soon as I'm back in town, but does anyone know what this could be?

When my life support system starts to make noises underwater, its usually a pretty clear signal to thumb the dive there. Its not like its an important part of your safety or anything. The reg definitely needs to be serviced by a professional, and you are lucky it didn't get worse and effect your dive.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

lemonsaresour posted:

Yeah dude, I've seen this on a few reg sets - if it's breathing dry and well other than the noise it shouldn't be an imminently major problem [disclaimer - but could be, get it serviced!!] but maybe your high pressure seat in the first stage needs some adjustment/ lube on the o-ring. Definitely a call for a qualified service technician to take a look before you dive it again. Did the shop service the regs just before you bought them? I'll ask the service tech at my shop about squeaking regs today.

You just reminded me that my regs need a service - I noticed a tiny bit of green corrosion on the first stage filter a couple of days ago, not sure how salt water got in there :(

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 28, 2013

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Quote is not edit....

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 28, 2013

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Sorry guys rage post:

I don't know if you guys have heard about the Western Australian governments massively redneck response to a minuscule but highly publicized risk of shark attack off our coastline. Basically they're going to start a 'targeted mitigation strategy' (also known as a cull) against an endangered species! And the way they're going to do this, is by placing hunks of cow meat off popular swimming beaches, and sending fisherman after the sharks. What could possibly go wrong?

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/premier-colin-barnett-defends-shark-killing-as-wa-bait-line-locations-revealed-20131227-2zyvf.html

Now this, combined with the federal governments decision to approve the dredging of part of the great barrier reef to facilitate construction of the largest coal port in the world, or the cancellation of a huge expansion of marine protection zones to 'protect the right of recreational fishermen'. Heck on the land they've applied to be the first country in the world to strip world heritage status from an area of land. I've had about all I can take.

gently caress, as a diver - I see with my own eyes what irresponsible fishing does to the underwater environment. The difference between jetty dives where no fishing is allowed, and those where it is is unbelievable. Fish if you want, but that does not mean you can chuck whatever rubbish you want over the side, or fill the water with discarded line, or cut the heads off juvenile tiger sharks and throw them back. These people are littering the environment, but because you can't see it unless you're under the water, the government takes their side. gently caress them, Australia is an utter embarrassment sometimes.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

lemonsaresour posted:

Echoing the take it into the shop posts. But my NIB reg wheezes on me when I draw on it too hard had the service guy look at it and he said it looked fine and I have not had any problems with it functioning. Although it's a bit embarrassing when on the boat people asks if they heard that annoying whistling noise.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I found a map of Eagles Nest. To go to 233' they had to probably go close to that east exit of the ballroom.

There are other maps here, but this seemed to lend itself best to a screenshot / imgur upload:

http://www.floridacaves.com/eagles.htm

also:

cave atlas posted:

http://www.caveatlas.com/systems/system.asp?ID=26&rating=1
In addition it is highly recommended that first time divers go with someone familiar and experienced with the site. It took over a year to open Eagle's Nest, but accidents due to irresponsible divers could close it overnight. Lets all be safe and Eagle's Nest will be there, and open, when we are ready to dive it.

e: wrong quote

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 28, 2013

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
So do any of the active guys in this thread cave dive? How much training goes into your cave card?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Gindack posted:

So do any of the active guys in this thread cave dive? How much training goes into your cave card?

I don't, but here's an overview of the NSS-CDS cave diver training.

The thing is with this, though, is that it's about a lot more than just cave diving. Take that map I posted: it shows the entrance to the system at 140'. That is, already, past the generally accepted limits for an advanced non-trimix diver. Granted, it isn't past by a lot, but there are spots where that can be flexible (like the blue hole) and spots where it can't (in a loving cave with an OW and non-certified diver as the entire group). You can't do a controlled ascent once you get in the cave, you have to exit it at 140' and then do your ascent.

They had their replacement tanks at 130' according to the article. That means they went into a cave that had an entrance at 140', with an expected ~8 minute bottom time depending on exact depth (we now know they went to 233, so bottom time drops dramatically depending on their time spent at 200) knowing they had to exit at 140' to get to wherever they stored their extra tanks, which also didn't hold enough air to avoid getting bent.

Oh. And one diver was relatively new to diving so probably had no idea on consumption control so they were sharing air in the cavern that had a 140' only exit. Every breath at that depth is almost 4 breaths at sea level. So think about that. One guy ran out, the other guy, who knows (the computers probably tell a very interesting story)? But they're both breathing off a single tank and they have to get to 140' latched together, fight off being narced and... The tank pressure is dropping rapidly. That's a loving nightmare.

Basically like the guy said in the revised article - they were dead as soon as they started it.

e: gently caress, PADI cavern didn't apply to this so I changed the training link

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 28, 2013

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

jackyl posted:

Dark and deep.

Yeah I was looking at the Eagles Nest map and it looked like you could check out the upper half of the Ballroom on normal air but not much else. Makes me wonder if the guy got mixed gas from somewhere and it has just not been reported yet.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Gindack posted:

Yeah I was looking at the Eagles Nest map and it looked like you could check out the upper half of the Ballroom on normal air but not much else. Makes me wonder if the guy got mixed gas from somewhere and it has just not been reported yet.

No, it was confirmed that all they had was air.

Thing is, though, sure you can check out the ballroom basd on that map with normal air, but you are entering and exiting at 140'. Your time in the ballroom with normal air is pointless with a sane plan, so why even do it?

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Maybe I am getting confused, I thought the ballroom was what they called the big chamber after the small entry tunnels.

Or am I just reading the maps wrong?

e: Would help if I included the profile map I am looking at.

Gindack fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 28, 2013

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know since I haven't dove there, but if you look at the map i posted it shows the entrance to that room at 140'.

That picture shows it a lot shallower. So now I have no idea.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The article also stated that the father's body was recovered at the roof of the ballroom somewhere around 7x feet. Either way, stupid idea.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

jackyl posted:

OK, got around to editing some of the better pictures.

We also saw turtles on multiple dives

What it looks like when you're about to drop into the Blue Hole:

Me at ~135 and in the Blue Hole.

What the Blue Hole looks like from the surface

Sorry if I missed it, but which Blue hole?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
A diver without full cave took his 15 year old uncertified son into the eagles nest? That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I've never even been to that site and even I know it's notorious.
E: Good to see you haven't been claimed by the depths yet slicer. I've been absent this thread a lot recently for IRL reasons but not for fun, for working myself to death.

Gindack posted:

A couple of us dabble. I've done cavern/basic cave training and have been beyond the "STOP NOW OR YOU WILL DIE" signs that popular caves have in them, but I would not consider myself a cave diver, I do a lot of deep wreck penetration which has a lot in common with cave though. I'd get my full cave and do it more but I've never lived close enough to a cave system to justify it, yet.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 28, 2013

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

TLG James posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but which Blue hole?

I didn't mention it in that post, but the great blue hole in Belize.

lemonsaresour
Feb 17, 2011

Crunkjuice posted:

When my life support system starts to make noises underwater, its usually a pretty clear signal to thumb the dive there. Its not like its an important part of your safety or anything. The reg definitely needs to be serviced by a professional, and you are lucky it didn't get worse and effect your dive.

I was keeping an eye on it and didn't make the second dive with it. It was only a 25 ft reef dive so if it had malfunctioned worse if have used my buddy's octo and surfaced. It only ruined the dive by being annoying and scaring away the fish.

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah dude, I've seen this on a few reg sets - if it's breathing dry and well other than the noise it shouldn't be an imminently major problem [disclaimer - but could be, get it serviced!!] but maybe your high pressure seat in the first stage needs some adjustment/ lube on the o-ring. Definitely a call for a qualified service technician to take a look before you dive it again. Did the shop service the regs just before you bought them? I'll ask the service tech at my shop about squeaking regs today.

You just reminded me that my regs need a service - I noticed a tiny bit of green corrosion on the first stage filter a couple of days ago, not sure how salt water got in there :(

I'm definitely not going to dive with it again until it gets serviced. They had checked it out and cleaned it and stuff before I took it home. They had it for like a week because there was a part that needed to be replaced. I trust my guy explicitly, he's actually a good friend, so I'll have it serviced when I get home. Since it wasn't pulling I'm sure it's just that something needs to be lubed or cleaned or adjusted, but it's not worth the risk.

Gindack posted:

Echoing the take it into the shop posts. But my NIB reg wheezes on me when I draw on it too hard had the service guy look at it and he said it looked fine and I have not had any problems with it functioning. Although it's a bit embarrassing when on the boat people asks if they heard that annoying whistling noise.

If it continues wheezing I might just sell it at the next gear swap. The repetitive noise was driving me insane. I tried adjusting how hard/soft I was breathing on it. Tried purging. Etc. It just wouldn't stop.

lemonsaresour
Feb 17, 2011
E; Ooops! Double post!

lemonsaresour fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 5, 2014

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

lemonsaresour posted:

I was keeping an eye on it and didn't make the second dive with it. It was only a 25 ft reef dive so if it had malfunctioned worse if have used my buddy's octo and surfaced. It only ruined the dive by being annoying and scaring away the fish.

I'm definitely not going to dive with it again until it gets serviced. They had checked it out and cleaned it and stuff before I took it home. They had it for like a week because there was a part that needed to be replaced. I trust my guy explicitly, he's actually a good friend, so I'll have it serviced when I get home. Since it wasn't pulling I'm sure it's just that something needs to be lubed or cleaned or adjusted, but it's not worth the risk.

If it continues wheezing I might just sell it at the next gear swap. The repetitive noise was driving me insane. I tried adjusting how hard/soft I was breathing on it. Tried purging. Etc. It just wouldn't stop.

Yeah I asked the service tech guy at work today and he agreed probably relubing the first stage should do the trick.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Regarding that cave story, isn't oxygen toxic at the depths they reached? The article said they were using compressed air. And the air consumption for an inexperienced diver, in a claustrophobic environment with dim light at 80 meters must be crazy. At 500 ml per breath x 9atm pressure x +100% consumption due to stress x 20 breaths per minute...

That was so stupid holy poo poo. Shouldn't a certified diver know these things?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

Regarding that cave story, isn't oxygen toxic at the depths they reached? The article said they were using compressed air. And the air consumption for an inexperienced diver, in a claustrophobic environment with dim light at 80 meters must be crazy. At 500 ml per breath x 9atm pressure x +100% consumption due to stress x 20 breaths per minute...

That was so stupid holy poo poo. Shouldn't a certified diver know these things?

Yes. Anyone with a brainstem should know these things. If the dude just went solo? Whatever, no big loss. But he did this with an innocent kid. gently caress that guy

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I changed the battery on my computer for the first time. Any way I can tell whether I've sealed it up right, other than taking it on a dive and hoping for the best?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
If it unscrewed and had an o-ring, just make sure that the o-ring is seated properly and it should be fine. I can't really think of a way to check if you got it sealed up correctly again except for the dive and pray test. Some computers have independent battery compartments so that if they flood the rest remains OK but I think those are usually the higher end big computers.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

suboptimal posted:

I'm glad I found this thread! I've been in love with the ocean all my life, from outrigger canoeing to surfing to snorkeling and spear fishing (Hawaiian sling), but only have nine OW dives since I got my PADI OW cert six years ago. My girlfriend recently got her OW cert after doing her qual dives at Lake Rawlings, and after we got four stellar dives in off Isla Mujeres a few weeks ago, I think we've found a hobby that we can really share as a couple (she hasn't quite taken to my other love, mountain biking, and I'm not going to force that one.)

I had a bunch of photos from IM and a snorkeling session here in SoCal (where I am for the holidays), but the Awful app wouldn't upload them. I think my goal for next year will be to get my AOW cert and explore some shark dives I. The Bahamas. At the very least, it's going to be nice to be able to get back in the ocean more.

Ah dude my dive instructor girlfriend got a sweet mountain bike today. Gonna get her on the trails :D

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

. Some computers have independent battery compartments so that if they flood the rest remains OK but I think those are usually the higher end big computers.

Tell that to my 150$ (3 years ago) mares m2 that I still teach with :colbert:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
What's a good decent point & shoot I can use for vacation pictures underwater? I picked a waterproof digital camera up for about $50 at wal-mart a couple years that took great underwater video and I'd still be using... if it hadn't died after about 5 minutes of use while just snorkeling. Anything like that that's more reliable? Doesn't need to go deep- since my kids are restricted in depth, I don't expect to exceed 30' or so with it. I've used disposal film cameras my last two dive trips but would much prefer a digital.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

grover posted:

What's a good decent point & shoot I can use for vacation pictures underwater? I picked a waterproof digital camera up for about $50 at wal-mart a couple years that took great underwater video and I'd still be using... if it hadn't died after about 5 minutes of use while just snorkeling. Anything like that that's more reliable? Doesn't need to go deep- since my kids are restricted in depth, I don't expect to exceed 30' or so with it. I've used disposal film cameras my last two dive trips but would much prefer a digital.

The GoPro is a great option. Poke around and you can get everything you would need (camera + waterproof housing + mounting base of your choice) for ~$200. That's a bargain compared to constantly shelling out for less durable cameras. Plus you can take video and it has all them fancy shutter options so you'll never miss a shot.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Durette posted:

The GoPro is a great option. Poke around and you can get everything you would need (camera + waterproof housing + mounting base of your choice) for ~$200. That's a bargain compared to constantly shelling out for less durable cameras. Plus you can take video and it has all them fancy shutter options so you'll never miss a shot.
I'm very familiar with gopros; they're fantastic cameras, but not really what I'm looking for. For one, I'd like to have an LCD display. Also, I don't want to spend gopro money on this. I've seen several gopro knock-offs that have looked pretty good in the $100 range, and with LCDs on the back; was hoping someone here might have specific recommendations on whether that's the way to go, or there are a number of just plain waterproof point & shoots, too.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 3, 2014

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

grover posted:

I'm very familiar with gopros; they're fantastic cameras, but not really what I'm looking for. For one, I'd like to have an LCD display. Also, I don't want to spend gopro money on this. I've seen several gopro knock-offs that have looked pretty good in the $100 range, and with LCDs on the back; was hoping someone here might have specific recommendations on whether that's the way to go, or there are a number of just plain waterproof point & shoots, too.

In terms of adventure PnS cameras, I've gone through olympus x2, panasonic, and nikon. None of them lasted more than a year - in cold no problem but the tropical weather did them in. Because of my lovely experience, I'm hesitant to try another adventure camera or recommend them (as much as I like eyeing the canon D20). But each one of them had their pros and cons.

I'd probably go with the cheapest option available. Or if it's just for vacation snorkelling, a dry pouch so you can use your smartphone.

re: GoPros - yes you're right, they are fantastic. I finally went GoPro last year. It was hard for me to see the screen with a mask on anyway so I figure I wouldn't miss it and there are ways to mark what you're looking at (it's also ultra wide lens). So far so good for snowboarding and free diving. Next test is scuba this Feb. The problem with the GoPro though is that the the colour tones are meh compared to the processing chips of PnS cameras - they are really meant to be post-edited in software. Since I don't have loving time to post-edit my poo poo, most of my recordings stay hidden on my computer.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Bangkero posted:

re: GoPros - yes you're right, they are fantastic. I finally went GoPro last year. It was hard for me to see the screen with a mask on anyway so I figure I wouldn't miss it and there are ways to mark what you're looking at (it's also ultra wide lens). So far so good for snowboarding and free diving. Next test is scuba this Feb. The problem with the GoPro though is that the the colour tones are meh compared to the processing chips of PnS cameras - they are really meant to be post-edited in software. Since I don't have loving time to post-edit my poo poo, most of my recordings stay hidden on my computer.

I use the wrist mount for scuba and it works great. Just bring it up to eye level and fire. I also use the 30-per-second setting which makes sure I get what I'm looking at even if I'm bobbing around a little. Another option is to just let it roll in video mode and pick out single frames later.

I've found that the GoPro with a light on it works better underwater than on land thanks to the water filtering. Or at least doesn't need post-editing like you get from snow or really bright sunshine.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Just buy any nice point and shoot you want, or maybe you already have one? And get a universal housing for it on Amazon. That's what I did until I scored a good deal on an Olympus cam/housing

Something like this, but I've seen them for cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Bonica-Seashe...erproof+housing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
My old point & shoot Canon is on the way out, and I'd put it in a ziploc baggie if I thought it would work; honestly looking to replace it anyhow. Wouldn't mind a compact watertight camera with a good optical zoom, but I haven't seen any in my price range.

At $80 on amazon, the SJ1000 (go-pro knockoff) seems to be well-reviewed, and is cheaper than buying a case. Anyone have any experience with it? http://www.recordergear.com/video-recorders/sj1000-1080p-waterproof-mini-sport-action-camera-yellow/