Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's a really small cut of meat. It's going to get up to temp quickly and be hard to get the right temp.

I would go to 135 internal, pull, rest 20 min, eat.

I would be very careful with salt in any sort of rub. That will probably dry it out.

I would also catch juices for an au jus but I've never done that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

jonathan posted:

Top sirloin roast, 1.1kg (2.5lb).

Going to smoke this as my first thing on the MES.

Any tips ? I assume the lack of fat means I should only go for medium rare.

I've got mesquite, cherry and hickory.

I was thinking of doing a simple salt/pepper and olive oil rub on the outside, and maybe inject it with a garlic/salt solution.

Should I cook it at 225 or crank it up to 275 ? Its -15c right now outside. I'm not 100% sure it will reach 275.

Don't use very much wood, something like that can get oversmoked and ruined quickly. I would use only the cherry.

If you have a regular propane grill you can reverse sear it fro the last 20 minutes by getting the grill hot as poo poo then cooking it 10 minutes on each side.

And have your oven ready in case the smoker doesn't heat up. (I would cook it in the oven the entire time, -15 C WTF)

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

jonathan posted:

I was thinking of doing a simple salt/pepper and olive oil rub on the outside, and maybe inject it with a garlic/salt solution.

Should I cook it at 225 or crank it up to 275 ? Its -15c right now outside. I'm not 100% sure it will reach 275.

That's a really weird cut of meat for smoking, so don't be disappointed when it turns out differently than any BBQ you've ever eaten.

There are a couple of ways to go with it. Cook it slowly (225f) with bacon on top for basting, until it reaches 195f, then pull / chop it for sandwiches. Or, go even more slowly, 200f, until you hit 125f, then slice it thinly and put it on a salad.

Chuck is slightly better if you're going for nonstandard cuts for smoking.

You should really start out with a pork shoulder, though. They are very, very forgiving, will soak up as much hickory smoke as you want to feed it, cheap, and most importantly, delicious.

For pork and beef, stick with hickory (or oak, but that gets tricky) and save the fruit woods for more delicate things like poultry and seafood.

Also, throw away the mesquite.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the tips, I didn't see anything posted before I had to start prepping it, so I followed the advice on amazingribs.com

This isn't my first smoke or BBQ, just the first one with an actual smoker. Before this I was using my charcoal grill and fighting temperature all the time. I've successfully done side ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, whole turkey, bacon wrapped tenderloins on it.

I wanted to do a pork shoulder tonight for my first thing on the MES, but spouse said she wanted a roast beef for dinner. I was itching to try it so whatever.

Anyways, I trimmed the fat cap, rubbed salt/pepper/garlic powder/olive oil on the surface, and did a soysauce/water/garlic powder injection. Catching the drippings underneath for gravy, and I used some hickory for the first 1/2 hour for smoke.

Thanks for the tips, I will report back with the results.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

jonathan posted:

As a fellow Canadian, I can tell you that she'll get there. I got mine up to 275 in the -35 weather we had out east here a few weeks ago - just takes a while. And loses a poo poo ton of heat anytime you open the door. I'm debating throwing a cast iron pan in there to hold heat. Stuff smoked in the winter tastes awesome to, since the air is...fresher? I donno. The MES works like a champ as long as its not in the wind (I have mine in my huge not-at-all sealed woodshed, so its sheltered from the wind/snow).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The roast turned out well. I pulled out a overdone by accident because time management.

Pulled it at 145, light pink in the middle. I overdid the rub a bit. Too much flavour on the bark.

Also I see what people mean with the factory chip loader. Amnps can't arrive soon enough.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bark on a top sirloin, I am so confused

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

smoked a chicken tonight. Spatchcocked and injection brined then smoked for 5 hours at 200 F with pecan and alder woods in my ghettorig smoker.

smoked chicken-1 by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

smoked chicken-4 by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

smoked chicken-3 by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Was very very good. Very moist. Great smoke flavor. Would do again.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
So... Explain the smoker. Is it just a roast pan full of burning embers, stuffed into the oven? How does it vent?

So confused.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PainBreak posted:

So... Explain the smoker. Is it just a roast pan full of burning embers, stuffed into the oven? How does it vent?

So confused.

it's my cheap 90bux charbroil grill I bought ages ago that I'm too cheap to upgrade. I'm using an old dutch oven that I don't use anymore with smoldering charcoal briquettes (like 4 of them) on the bottom. I then feed woodchunks and chips on top of the smoldering briquettes for smoke. I have the grill hooked up to a nat gas line in the wall so I can heat the grill up hotter. With it on its lowest setting on one side, other side off, and the smoldering wood chunks, grill internal temp is about 200 F. The whole thing is outside so venting is not an issue.

different angle:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nice job, that looks really good.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

I smoked a pork butt this weekend and it was divine. Rub, hickory smoke for four hours at 210F or so, then just roasted in there until dark. Then covered in foil on a half sheet in the oven at 250F until I could twist a nice tasting hunk out with a fork. 10-11 hours maybe?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Has anyone ever tried tri tip in the style of brisket? That is to say low and slow and taken to temps where gelatin etc melts and it is tender. I only ever see it taken to rare temps and while I love rare beef, I'm curious with experimenting. Tri tip is way cheaper than brisket here and there is a lot of fat and marbling on it.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Has anyone ever tried tri tip in the style of brisket? That is to say low and slow and taken to temps where gelatin etc melts and it is tender. I only ever see it taken to rare temps and while I love rare beef, I'm curious with experimenting. Tri tip is way cheaper than brisket here and there is a lot of fat and marbling on it.

My friend tried this once and the result was as tough as nails. But you can cook a tri-tip on a slow cooker until it's close to being done, than reverse sear it on a hot BBQ or even in the oven if you're desperate.

As someone who used to live on the CA central coast, I have to stress that using red oak as the smoke flavor just makes a tri tip out of this world. The real authentic people cook it over nothing but burning red oak logs. I don't think that's necessary, nor is it feasible for a lot of people. But adding at least a fist sized hunk of it brings it to another level. I don't cook tri tips without it anymore.

edit: I don't know where you live where tri tip is cheaper than brisket, the smart and final briskets I see are usually about $2.30/lb whereas tri tip is $3.99/lb at best.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pr0k posted:

I smoked a pork butt this weekend and it was divine. Rub, hickory smoke for four hours at 210F or so, then just roasted in there until dark. Then covered in foil on a half sheet in the oven at 250F until I could twist a nice tasting hunk out with a fork. 10-11 hours maybe?

You don't post in this thread much for a dude that has like four smokers on his deck.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Did about 6lbs of salmon a few days back.

Farm raised Atlantic salmon fillets

Brined them for 18 hours. Removed and set on setting racks to form pellicle layer

Drying tent to defend from house cats lurking about.

On my WSM over applewood for 6 hours. 2 @100, 2@125, 2@150.

Final product:

Vacuum packed them after cooling and now resting in fridge until New year's when it shall be consumed.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You don't post in this thread much for a dude that has like four smokers on his deck.

Been lazy. Kids are nutty these days, weather, jaywalkers...sunspots...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

coronaball posted:

My friend tried this once and the result was as tough as nails. But you can cook a tri-tip on a slow cooker until it's close to being done, than reverse sear it on a hot BBQ or even in the oven if you're desperate.

As someone who used to live on the CA central coast, I have to stress that using red oak as the smoke flavor just makes a tri tip out of this world. The real authentic people cook it over nothing but burning red oak logs. I don't think that's necessary, nor is it feasible for a lot of people. But adding at least a fist sized hunk of it brings it to another level. I don't cook tri tips without it anymore.

edit: I don't know where you live where tri tip is cheaper than brisket, the smart and final briskets I see are usually about $2.30/lb whereas tri tip is $3.99/lb at best.

I'm in riverside, ca. I haven't checked s&f but Costco, Ralph's, and other places only get as low as $4.99/lb but are usually at $5.99. Tritip is usually 3.99/lb but gets as low as $2.49/lb pretty frequently. Not only that but a whole tritip is smaller than a whole brisket, which is more manageable for me and my tinyass ghetto smoker.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

it's my cheap 90bux charbroil grill I bought ages ago that I'm too cheap to upgrade. I'm using an old dutch oven that I don't use anymore with smoldering charcoal briquettes (like 4 of them) on the bottom. I then feed woodchunks and chips on top of the smoldering briquettes for smoke. I have the grill hooked up to a nat gas line in the wall so I can heat the grill up hotter. With it on its lowest setting on one side, other side off, and the smoldering wood chunks, grill internal temp is about 200 F. The whole thing is outside so venting is not an issue.

different angle:

That makes a lot more sense than what I thought I saw. :-)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm in riverside, ca. I haven't checked s&f but Costco, Ralph's, and other places only get as low as $4.99/lb but are usually at $5.99. Tritip is usually 3.99/lb but gets as low as $2.49/lb pretty frequently. Not only that but a whole tritip is smaller than a whole brisket, which is more manageable for me and my tinyass ghetto smoker.

Yeah, hard to find good brisket cheaper than tri tip out here, but I would try a butcher. Ralph's is going to take you to the cleaners and have really small and low quality brisket cuts in my experience.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

"Low and slow" is for tough cuts like the brisket where you're breaking down collagens (different from fat/marbling), and you cook slowly because you need to get the internal temp all the way up to 195-205F, which is a long and slow process that would make the outside disgusting as poo poo if you cooked it at 350 or 400 or whatever. It wouldn't work the same on a tri-tip as a brisket because the tri-tip doesn't have that kind of collagen, so cooking it up to 195-205F would be the same as cooking a steak to that temp--pretty disgusting. If you just treat it like a regular roast and do it up to medium rare at 135F or whatever (with smoke, obviously), it'll be great. You could certainly hit that 135 low and slow at 225 but for tri-tip there's no benefit, and you could also do it at like 350 and reverse sear, or basically whatever. Same goes for poultry.

It's probably my favorite cut of meat, it's a shame it isn't more popular on the east coast.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
gently caress that, now that skirt and flank are $10 a pound tri-tip is the last affordable grilling cut out here. If it gets popular it is sure to go up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

"Low and slow" is for tough cuts like the brisket where you're breaking down collagens (different from fat/marbling), and you cook slowly because you need to get the internal temp all the way up to 195-205F, which is a long and slow process that would make the outside disgusting as poo poo if you cooked it at 350 or 400 or whatever. It wouldn't work the same on a tri-tip as a brisket because the tri-tip doesn't have that kind of collagen, so cooking it up to 195-205F would be the same as cooking a steak to that temp--pretty disgusting. If you just treat it like a regular roast and do it up to medium rare at 135F or whatever (with smoke, obviously), it'll be great. You could certainly hit that 135 low and slow at 225 but for tri-tip there's no benefit, and you could also do it at like 350 and reverse sear, or basically whatever. Same goes for poultry.

It's probably my favorite cut of meat, it's a shame it isn't more popular on the east coast.

Fully agree on this--I'm surprised how often people think that tri-tips would be good to smoke--they just plain aren't good for it.

I wish they were cheaper where I live.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've braised tritips successfully. They work well for it. I agree that they're good rare but its not the end all for the cut.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

BraveUlysses posted:

Fully agree on this--I'm surprised how often people think that tri-tips would be good to smoke--they just plain aren't good for it.

I wish they were cheaper where I live.

I love to smoke it for like 2 hours to an internal temp of like 120 (rare) to give it some lovely smoke flavour, then blast is for a couple of minutes on the grill for a touch of char. Totally awesome after resting for a bit and then sliced for service.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

unknown posted:

I love to smoke it for like 2 hours to an internal temp of like 120 (rare) to give it some lovely smoke flavour, then blast is for a couple of minutes on the grill for a touch of char. Totally awesome after resting for a bit and then sliced for service.

I'm with you there, as long as it's rareish by the time you are serving it up is my point. I was once served bbq food from a restaurant a "low and slow smoked" tritip and it was gray all the way through. Ugh.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ya, that's bad. But red oak smoke on it for a bit really puts it over the top

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
After a summer grilling with a bunch of Argentinian guys, I think that the only way to cook beef is over a hardwood fire.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd like to do pulled pork tomorrow for sandwiches and also just to eat.

If I'm feeding 4 and want leftovers, what size shoulder or butt should I get ?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I did two, 3kg pork shoulders (and a 2.5kg chicken + small rack of ribs) to feed 8 guys. There was enough pork left over for my lunch and dinner the next day.

I suppose it depends on their appetites, but a 3-3.5kg pork shoulder should do you nicely.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
If doing a full spread of food (sides and everything) you usually figure 1/2 lb for each person.

If you are doing it for just 4 people, get a normal sized butt and freeze portions of it. It reheats well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK thanks! Off to Black Man's sausage hut (yes thats the name)

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I've been brining a beef Brisket in my fridge for the past two weeks and I'm about to pull it out to smoke and turn into pastrami. My question is how long should I soak the salt out of the beef with fresh water before I start smoking?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Faithless posted:

I've been brining a beef Brisket in my fridge for the past two weeks and I'm about to pull it out to smoke and turn into pastrami. My question is how long should I soak the salt out of the beef with fresh water before I start smoking?

Can't answer from experience but amazingribs.com has a pastrami article. Perhaps it will explain ?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Crazyeyes posted:

Farm raised Atlantic salmon fillets

Is that not an oxymoron?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Easychair Bootson posted:

Is that not an oxymoron?

Nope. And they're horribad for the environment. Seriously. They're pens built in the Atlantic where fish are free fed and the waste food and fish waste goes to pollute like mad the surrounding ecosystem. Farmed Atlantic salmon are seriously very bad for the environment.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Faithless posted:

A day/overnight kind of time frame. At least that's what I did last time and it came out great. I also let the pepper rub stay on for 2 days as well for maximum flavour before smoking it.

They are right about the letting it cool and steam it the next day for true Awesomeness, but don't let that stop you from sampling it when it's finished in the smoker.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks guys, great link too.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat. Temperature is hard. This pork shoulder butt, 3 probes in it, ranging from 190, 199 and 182...

The MES 30's built in probe reads 190.

Is this just because some probes are more in the middle than others ? I'm worried I'm gonna dry out the outer bits.

Edit: one of the probes reached 203... I pulled it out and shredded it with forks. Seems as tender as I've ever found it to be.

I guess I should go invest in a maverick.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

I made my first baby backs in like 6 months and they were extraordinary. I don't know why I don't make them more, maybe cuz I'm cheap.

Cook ribs people.