Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only consequence of Anna dieing is that the village will most likely get destroyed the turn after she falls. All the village gives you is a psychic staff though. Which, while nice, isn't something you need to worry about missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Decided to try out FE9 maniac, and got all the way to chapter 9, only to realize that I forgot to talk to Marcia back in chapter 3. Ugh.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

cheetah7071 posted:

Decided to try out FE9 maniac, and got all the way to chapter 9, only to realize that I forgot to talk to Marcia back in chapter 3. Ugh.

Who needs Marcia? You have other fliers for flying.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

alcharagia posted:

Who needs Marcia? You have other fliers for flying.

Leaving a character behind? Why don't you suggest he starts killing them off, huh?!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tae posted:

Leaving a character behind? Why don't you suggest he starts killing them off, huh?!

Well, I already did. Going to have to kill Makalov, isn't he? :smug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've already restarted. Leave no-one behind.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

Introduce Boyd to the Black Knight :unsmigghh:

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
As a newbie to the FE series, it's okay to let characters die on my first playthroughs of the games, right? Just picked up Awakening and I've played Radiant Dawn before but with tons of save scumming which eventually lead to me stopping playing 2/3s of the way through because of pressure I might've screwed something up earlier on. I figure I can reload to fit my wants in subsequent playthroughs of Awakening/PoR/RD but I'm hoping a no worries first playthrough of any won't be made too impossible or make me miss too much content. And I'm okay with missing any recruitable dudes I don't realize I miss. I just get tempted by reloading if losing even a single character means I'm screwed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just go for it. Don't worry about resetting to keep everyone alive if you don't want to!

If you've awakening I recommend playing on Casual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, a lot of people reset for characters but the game is entirely beatable without doing that. My brother loves FE but sucks at it - at the end of his FE7 run he had only the lords, Athos, Wallace, Jaffar, Marcus, Harken, Oswin, and Renault alive, and he still beat the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Most people, including the developers, reset for people. If you don't find that fun though you don't have to do it at all! Especially in Awakening, but really almost every Fire Emblem gives you some way of beating the final chapters even if you manage to lose nearly everybody,

Personally, I like to do it as a challenge. Getting everyone to the end alive is more difficult that just getting to the end, and more fun for me.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Any recommended difficulty in general? I'm okay with a little challenge especially with having played a bunch of other SRPGs beforehand, like Disgaea and FFT and stuff. I don't want it to be a cakewalk so I wanna play the middle difficulty but if Fire Emblem is one of those series, I'm okay with playing the easiest on any of them. Don't remember what difficulty I played Radiant Dawn on but I just remember it was hard enough.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You picked the one game in the Fire Emblem series that is not one of those games. Play on Hard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lyrax posted:

Any recommended difficulty in general? I'm okay with a little challenge especially with having played a bunch of other SRPGs beforehand, like Disgaea and FFT and stuff. I don't want it to be a cakewalk so I wanna play the middle difficulty but if Fire Emblem is one of those series, I'm okay with playing the easiest on any of them. Don't remember what difficulty I played Radiant Dawn on but I just remember it was hard enough.

Normal is way too easy if you have any experience with a Fire Emblem game or SRPGs in general. Hard is pretty good, it should be challenging the whole way through (dropping off as you progress like every SRPG) if you don't grind or solo everything with your Avatar. Lunatic really, really isn't fun because it makes the early game the Frederick+ Avatar show and its really almost impossible to use more than a few units without the grinding DLC because the enemies are scaled up way too much.

The only thing to be aware of on Hard is to pay attention when the bosses say stuff about reinforcements. Reinforcements move the turn they appear, so make sure you're not leaving a bunch of weak or squishy people out in the middle of nowhere when they say stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, FE10 is a lot harder of a game than FE13. I'd say Hard Mode would be right for you if you managed to get through Radiant Dawn on any difficulty - the early chapters will be a bit hard, but not any harder than some of the chapters in Radiant Dawn.

The only thing I'd recommend is doing the 'reset if units die' thing in the early going, so you have a full roster of units. Once you start getting an overflow of units, then you can say 'gently caress it.' Or you could just pick casual.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
FE in general isn't too hard a series.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Tae posted:

Now you got me thinking of that amazing FE 11 lets play in the archives. Losing one party member is tragic, deliberately getting half the cast killed in increasingly contrived manners in order to unlock bonus chapters is hilarious. It also introduced me to the joys of trial by devil axe for under performing units.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Eh, some of the games have their moments. The Dawn Brigade chapters in part 3 of FE13 can be hell if you got unlucky with the character's levels.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're worried about difficulty or losing characters just play on Casual. No permadeath in that, though it's still a game over if the avatar or Chrom dies. Also don't play on Lunatic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The difficulty of FE comes from keeping all your characters alive, it's a very easy series if you treat it X-com style where they are expendable for the greater good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

The difficulty of FE comes from keeping all your characters alive, it's a very easy series if you treat it X-com style where they are expendable for the greater good.

It can go both ways though. Its easy if you don't care about some random idiot you weren't gonna use bites the dust, but having your all star unit die to a 1% crit from a reinforcement that just spawned would be infuriating. If you went into the game blind playing that way would probably be harder in the long run since you could easily lose a lot of guys and be forced to use poo poo units.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If we're talking Awakening specifically, the game is designed to make sure you have back-ups upon back-ups even if you never recruit or kill all the possible recruits. They just throw you all these powerful pre-promotes with good stats at you, so that at worst you have Libra, Say'ri, Basilio, and Flavia by the end of the game with their relatively high stats.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Really? 'Cause awakening didn't have all that many prepremotes. Which always disappointed me, to be entirely honest.

I liked Vaida and Renault, dammit!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yeah, Awakening probably has the fewest lategame pre-promotes overall, and being a guy who always enjoys using a lategame prepromote or two, I was kinda let down.

Though I did make incredibly extensive use of Basilio and Flavia to make up for it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tae posted:

If we're talking Awakening specifically, the game is designed to make sure you have back-ups upon back-ups even if you never recruit or kill all the possible recruits. They just throw you all these powerful pre-promotes with good stats at you, so that at worst you have Libra, Say'ri, Basilio, and Flavia by the end of the game with their relatively high stats.

...Does it? Libra, Say'ri, Basilio, Flavia, Tiki, and...that's it, really. Unless you're hitting the Spotpass paralogues, your army is really limited to Gen 1 and Gen 2, and every mother that dies from Gen 1 takes her child with her, so it's really easy to screw yourself out of units.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Yeah, Awakening probably has the fewest lategame pre-promotes overall, and being a guy who always enjoys using a lategame prepromote or two, I was kinda let down.

Though I did make incredibly extensive use of Basilio and Flavia to make up for it.

Not counting kids and spotpass units, Awakening actually has the smallest cast in the series with 30 units. The next smallest are Gaiden with 32 and Sacred Stones with 33 (not counting Creature Campaign units.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You also get Lucina at the very least, who is usable with a little grinding, especially since she always starts off with Aether.

Avatar, Chrom, Lucina, Libra, Say'ri, Basilio, Flavia, Tiki... I guess potentially Henry and Cherche since you get them after Chapter 11 and they're perfectly usable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Artix posted:

...Does it? Libra, Say'ri, Basilio, Flavia, Tiki, and...that's it, really. Unless you're hitting the Spotpass paralogues, your army is really limited to Gen 1 and Gen 2, and every mother that dies from Gen 1 takes her child with her, so it's really easy to screw yourself out of units.

There's Anna as well. The game's easy enough that I'd be shocked if anyone had issues fielding a full team on every map even without getting the kids. You're right that the game stops throwing units at you after Say'ri but that's because you're supposed to be getting the kids at that point. I'd rather have had at least the rest of the ladies have a kid instead of more mediocre prepromotes.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You also get Lucina at the very least, who is usable with a little grinding, especially since she always starts off with Aether.

Avatar, Chrom, Lucina, Libra, Say'ri, Basilio, Flavia, Tiki... I guess potentially Henry and Cherche since you get them after Chapter 11 and they're perfectly usable.

Lucina, Henry and Cherche don't count as prepromotes no matter how you look at it.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Some of the early games, like FE5, can be pretty frustratingly hard too. It's also pretty difficult to accurately quantify the challenge of the series when it usually depends on the player and how gamey they wanna go; are you gonna grind on infinite enemies if the game gives you the chance? Are you gonna reset if you lose someone?

That said, the AI in the series has always been dumb and predictable, and apart from paying attention to where everything is there isn't a serious difficulty to the game I guess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

93tu posted:

That said, the AI in the series has always been dumb and predictable

Sometimes it's dumb and unpredictable. Notably the SNES games seem to just flip coins about who to attack, and will give up sure kills and attack your indestructible behemoth.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
There's a speedrun of The Sacred Stones going on at AGDQ right now.

http://gamesdonequick.com/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's a new translation patch for FE6. I haven't played it yet, but the preview images already make it seem like it has some life to it, which is more than you can say for the old FE6 translation patch.

On the other hand, they translated Dieck's name as Deke.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wind God Sety posted:

There's a speedrun of The Sacred Stones going on at AGDQ right now.

http://gamesdonequick.com/

Oh god this run and the FE7 run from this year have inspired me to start speedrunning Fire Emblem, I think. I gotta prove myself...to be the best.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Really? 'Cause awakening didn't have all that many prepremotes. Which always disappointed me, to be entirely honest.

I liked Vaida and Renault, dammit!

I like Frederick quite a bit, but he is still no Seth to me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Weissritter posted:

That's because Seth is actually good :colbert:.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh god this run and the FE7 run from this year have inspired me to start speedrunning Fire Emblem, I think. I gotta prove myself...to be the best.

All things considered, I really never saw the point of speedrunning Fire Emblem. I mean if LTC playstyles are your thing, so be it, but Fire Emblem is so RNG dependent that I don't see how you could do it with any kind of consistency. A TAS, sure - you can manipulate the RNG so that you get all the hits/misses/crits that you need and it looks crazy as hell. Outside of that, you get the Seth/Marcus/whoever power hour until you have more than one prepromo and even then there's no guarantee that you can make it. The FE8 run at AGDQ had to be aborted in Chapter 15 because it went way over time and Saleh kept dying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Weissritter posted:

You're right, Fred is actually interesting. :smug:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Artix posted:

All things considered, I really never saw the point of speedrunning Fire Emblem. I mean if LTC playstyles are your thing, so be it, but Fire Emblem is so RNG dependent that I don't see how you could do it with any kind of consistency. A TAS, sure - you can manipulate the RNG so that you get all the hits/misses/crits that you need and it looks crazy as hell. Outside of that, you get the Seth/Marcus/whoever power hour until you have more than one prepromo and even then there's no guarantee that you can make it. The FE8 run at AGDQ had to be aborted in Chapter 15 because it went way over time and Saleh kept dying.

I didn't watch the AGDQ run but the GBA games have fixed RNG so as long as you do the same moves you will get the same result every time. Maybe the AGDQ person didn't know that? It wouldn't be the first time someone at AGDQ didn't know much about the game they were running.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I didn't watch the AGDQ run but the GBA games have fixed RNG so as long as you do the same moves you will get the same result every time. Maybe the AGDQ person didn't know that? It wouldn't be the first time someone at AGDQ didn't know much about the game they were running.

The FE7 bonus run knew and abused this, didn't watch the FE8 run though, so no idea on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The FE8 run was aborted because he had terrible level-ups that it was basically unwinnable with the speedrun team he usually ran.