Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
The samsung will have a web browser that you can just set the homepage to espn3 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
Can anyone in the UK recommend a good HDTV for £400-£500 that will be used for gaming and TV shows/movies?

Bonus points for:
- a decent number of HDMI ports
- USB ports and codec support for playing directly from USB
- low input lag for the aforementioned gaming
- built in freeview
- not being subject to panel lottery, I've already been through it with my Samsung monitor.

Things I don't care about :
- smart TV
- 3D - it just gives me a headache!
- being huge (50"+), my flat isn't that big.

I'll keep doing my own research in the mean time but it's a huge pain in the rear end that so many TVs are not available in the UK - I'll go through lists of recommended gaming HDTVs only to find none of the models are available. Most Samsung models are available, once you translate the US model number to the European equivalent, but the risk of a lovely panel and lovely TV is a big turn off.

Thirteenth Step posted:

I need a new TV. I live in the UK though so prices might be a bit different. But anyway; I suffer from a huge case of analysis paralysis and I swear to God I've been searching for a decent TV for weeks now trying to find the "best one" for my needs (which are basically ps3/blu ray and general TV).

The one I've settled on (I think...) is the Samsung F6320 (46") which is around £600. However, a friend told me that I should wait till after January as CES is on and prices will drop after that. Do prices usually drop after CES? Also is there a list of "recommended" TV's? I did read the op but could see anything along those lines unless I'm retarded and missed it.

I'd copy and go for a 40" F6320 except I'm hesitant to pay for 3D when I hate it and won't use it. I also can't seem to find any good sources on its input lag, though I see people who've bought it on gaming sites who seem happy so it can't be that bad v0v.

e: I'm tempted by the Sony KDL42W653 which has really low input lag but it's actually more expensive than the Samsung 40" F6320 despite not having 3D. It is a couple of inches larger though. I need to figure out whether the F6320 has any panel lottery issues now I guess.

I, too, am now caught in the paralysis on analysis.

Daviclond fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 23, 2013

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
So the 55" Panasonic S60 is pretty much sold out everywhere, eh? If anyone sees it in stock anywhere online, do post about it here. The only place I've found it is B&H, and shipping is $150.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

cbirdsong posted:

So the 55" Panasonic S60 is pretty much sold out everywhere, eh? If anyone sees it in stock anywhere online, do post about it here. The only place I've found it is B&H, and shipping is $150.

Yea, I was talking about that on the last page. It's pretty much impossible to find one, local or internet. I don't trust B&H with a TV and the shipping is ridiculous. The ST 50inch is around 999 but it has a nearly 100ms game lag which makes me hesitant about it, and it's also pretty hard to find in stock. And then the VT is just pretty drat expensive and only comes in 55+, but it looks incredible. I'm personally waiting until after the holidays for when the S/ST returns start rolling in for an open box deal.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

JayJay posted:

Yea, I was talking about that on the last page. It's pretty much impossible to find one, local or internet. I don't trust B&H with a TV and the shipping is ridiculous.

While I do agree $150 is expensive for shipping (Amazon sends them free) I will say our 55" Panasonic box was AS BIG AS A MINI COOPER.

Seriously. It's the largest TV box I've ever seen. I asked the delivery guy how Amazon ships them for free and he laughed...no idea.

But anyhow, I'd be willing to bet Amazon's Warehousedeals will have some in early Jan for sure. I'd F5 and snag one at a good discount w/free shipping.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
There's one on Amazon warehouse deals right now, for $1,115.67, for some reason.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I was all set to grab a vt60, but then I happened to google a little and see there's some crazy loud rear end fan problem with all VT and ZT...Anyone experience this first hand here? I'd like to get something and it looks like the options are this, a 8500 for even more money or see what gets announced for 2014 at CES in a few weeks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I was all set to grab a vt60, but then I happened to google a little and see there's some crazy loud rear end fan problem with all VT and ZT...Anyone experience this first hand here? I'd like to get something and it looks like the options are this, a 8500 for even more money or see what gets announced for 2014 at CES in a few weeks.

If you watch TV on mute 2 feet from the set, you will hear a gentle whirr.

Otherwise you will never hear them. At least I don't hear mine unless I mute the TV and get right up next to it.

Non issue and as with most things, the internet has likely blown it out of proportion.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Supposedly you can get the fan noise on a VT60 fixed by having Panasonic send a tech to add some standoffs to the fans if you have a preoctober build date. I can barely hear anything from standing right next to mine. I definitely can't hear fan noise from ten feet away with the sound on.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
Does anyone have an opinion on the 65" Samsung 7100fxza for $2k? The reviews seem to be pretty good but people here are way more knowledgeable than I am so I thought I'd get some input before I pull the trigger.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I went for the vt60, just hoping the dudes on avs are being really spergy and it's not terrible or anything. I'm going to have it hooked up to a 3.0 sound system, so it's not like I'm using the onboard TV volume anyway and hopefully it'll overtake any fan whine.

Hope I don't regret it!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Technically, the best 50" plasma TV is the ZT60. The best bang for the buck is the ST60. The only 42" versions are the S60/S64 (Costco version).

I know this is a bit late but this depends on your market. In Europe we get the ST60E in 42" 50" 55" and 65". The GT60 is also available in 42".

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

I went for the vt60, just hoping the dudes on avs are being really spergy and it's not terrible or anything. I'm going to have it hooked up to a 3.0 sound system, so it's not like I'm using the onboard TV volume anyway and hopefully it'll overtake any fan whine.

Hope I don't regret it!

I have a projector that I use in my basement with a pretty loud fan (I have no doubt it's much louder than the VT60's fan), and I honestly don't even notice it once anything is playing. Of course, the particular pitch of the VT60 might be more annoying, but I doubt it. The AVS guys can be a little over the top.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I was very lucky and got a 32" Samsung 5300. I'm wondering if anyone else has this TV and are there any recommendations for Brightness/Contrast and color settings for playing Video Games and watching HD Satellite TV. But mainly video games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

NihilismNow posted:

I know this is a bit late but this depends on your market. In Europe we get the ST60E in 42" 50" 55" and 65". The GT60 is also available in 42".

Late, but interesting. It begs the question of why the three companies mostly sell "720p" models in the sub-50" plasma size for the NA market.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I might have another reason to go 'gently caress comcast'.

I have a DCT700 comcast cable box. They're pretty ubiquitous and looks like this:

I am setting up a new Samsung 6350 series HDTV. The problem I am having is that the cable box outputs 4:3 via composite.

The problem is that I seem to have a choice; either run it in 4:3 and have 16:9 channels "double letterboxed" (cable box letter boxes 16:9 to 4:3 by adding horizontal back bars, then the TV adds vertical black bars to get from 4:3 back to 16:9); or manually change every 16:9 channel to "zoom1" when I am watching which removes the 16:9 letterboxing.

This really blows. Is there any way to solve this problem? Some setting I'm missing? I'm willing to buy extra hardware if necessary. What's I'm not willing to do is pay comcast an extra $30 a month to upgrade to HDTV.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Ularg posted:

I was very lucky and got a 32" Samsung 5300. I'm wondering if anyone else has this TV and are there any recommendations for Brightness/Contrast and color settings for playing Video Games and watching HD Satellite TV. But mainly video games.

Check CNet's forums (make sure to use the exact model number), they have a lot of recommended calibration settings for TVs.

Chuu posted:

This really blows. Is there any way to solve this problem? Some setting I'm missing? I'm willing to buy extra hardware if necessary. What's I'm not willing to do is pay comcast an extra $30 a month to upgrade to HDTV.

You're not going to get any 16:9 HD content out of that box, period. You can pay the extra money for HD channels (and a new cable box/DVR), or stretch the 480i image from your current box.

One thing you might try, I'm not sure if this is true in your area but here Comcast actually leaves the local HD channels on the cable line unencrypted, and if your TV has a built-in digital tuner (it should), you can get the HD channels by just plugging the coax cable directly from your wall into your TV instead of the box. Obviously not a perfect solution, but for me it works pretty well combined with Netflix/Hulu and I don't have to pay for anything besides internet.

(Alternately, if there aren't any unencrypted channels on your cable line, you could just get an antenna for over-the-air broadcasts)

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 26, 2013

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

You're not going to get any 16:9 HD content out of that box, period. You can pay the extra money for HD channels (and a new cable box/DVR), or stretch the 480i image from your current box.

I realize this, but I'm not looking for HD content. What I'm trying to do essentially is somehow have 16:9 be the default aspect ratio (and letterbox 4:3 content) instead of 4:3 be the default aspect ratio (and letterbox 16:9 content). Then I can just set my TV to 16:9 and not have anything be distorted due to aspect ratio.

I don't know if this is letterboxed by the decoder or if it's letterboxed before it hits the decoder. If it's the former then I'm hoping there is some way involving cable cards or a different comcast box that could fix this.

quote:

One thing you might try, I'm not sure if this is true in your area but here Comcast actually leaves the local HD channels on the cable line unencrypted, and if your TV has a built-in digital tuner (it should), you can get the HD channels by just plugging the coax cable directly from your wall into your TV instead of the box. Obviously not a perfect solution, but for me it works pretty well combined with Netflix/Hulu and I don't have to pay for anything besides internet.

(Alternately, if there aren't any unencrypted channels on your cable line, you could just get an antenna for over-the-air broadcasts)

I'm more concerned with 16:9 cable channels like ESPN.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 26, 2013

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Currently have a Sony KDL46XBR. Look at getting a Sony W900A.

My current TV is 100 Hz LCD and this one is an LED LCD 200Hz. Am I going to see much of a difference in the picture? Used for regular TV and gaming.

Not really fussed about all the smart TV stuff, or the 3d really, just always had Sonys. If there's a better model in another range though I'm open to suggestions. Haven't seen much around (Australia) everything in this price range seems to be similar.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Chuu posted:

I realize this, but I'm not looking for HD content. What I'm trying to do essentially is somehow have 16:9 be the default aspect ratio (and letterbox 4:3 content) instead of 4:3 be the default aspect ratio (and letterbox 16:9 content). Then I can just set my TV to 16:9 and not have anything be distorted due to aspect ratio.

I don't know if this is letterboxed by the decoder or if it's letterboxed before it hits the decoder. If it's the former then I'm hoping there is some way involving cable cards or a different comcast box that could fix this.

That box is just going to output 480i 4:3 letterboxed picture. You will need an HD DTA or HD cable box

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Every channel that box receives is a 4:3 SD broadcast.

Some of those channels choose to letterbox their feeds before it gets to you.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Chuu posted:

You can't switch your TV to Zoom1 and leave it there? That's what I did when I was stuck without a cable box. I would have to switch it back for 4x3 content, but most channels I watched had it letterboxed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nibbles141 posted:

Currently have a Sony KDL46XBR. Look at getting a Sony W900A.

My current TV is 100 Hz LCD and this one is an LED LCD 200Hz. Am I going to see much of a difference in the picture? Used for regular TV and gaming.

Not really fussed about all the smart TV stuff, or the 3d really, just always had Sonys. If there's a better model in another range though I'm open to suggestions. Haven't seen much around (Australia) everything in this price range seems to be similar.

The Sony W900 is the best LED you can get right now. Higher refresh rates don't affect the picture unless you tell them to.

The refresh rate has me curious though. I imagine it's 100/200 in Australia instead of 120/240 because TV is 50Hz, but then doesn't that mean 24fps and 60fps content doesn't divide evenly? That defeats the whole purpose unless you love motion interpolation.

Edit: Okay, I looked it up and the 100/200 thing is only for the TV inputs. The HDMI, component etc. are multiples of 60.

Higher refresh rates have a minor benefit with reducing motion blur even with motion interpolation off, but it's barely noticeable. Their real use is for 3D content. Higher won't hurt anything, though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 26, 2013

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
So the local Costco nears me has two 60" LED TV's that both look great and are the same price:
Samsung UN60F6350A $1299.99
Sony KDL-60R520A $1299.99

Between the two, anyone have any thoughts as to which would be a better buy? Will be using this mostly with the WDTV and occasionally Netflix streaming.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

What TV should I be looking at? I'm looking for something around:

- $500
- 42"
- 1080p

3D and 120Hz are irrelevant, and I have a slight preference for something WITHOUT smart TV features.

There seem to be LG, philips, and toshiba screens around this price point, and the LG 42LN5300 seems like the best one of them, but I'm curious if there are other options to look at.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Aphrodite posted:

The Sony W900 is the best LED you can get right now. Higher refresh rates don't affect the picture unless you tell them to.

The refresh rate has me curious though. I imagine it's 100/200 in Australia instead of 120/240 because TV is 50Hz, but then doesn't that mean 24fps and 60fps content doesn't divide evenly? That defeats the whole purpose unless you love motion interpolation.

Edit: Okay, I looked it up and the 100/200 thing is only for the TV inputs. The HDMI, component etc. are multiples of 60.

Higher refresh rates have a minor benefit with reducing motion blur even with motion interpolation off, but it's barely noticeable. Their real use is for 3D content. Higher won't hurt anything, though.

Thanks for that. Everything is on sale here at the moment so figure it might be time while the old TV still has some life in it and can sell it.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

You can't switch your TV to Zoom1 and leave it there? That's what I did when I was stuck without a cable box. I would have to switch it back for 4x3 content, but most channels I watched had it letterboxed.

Unfortunately I'm trying to set this up for my parents, and the channels they watch is about a 50/50 split.

I've spent some more time researching this and talking to Comcast reps; and the comcast reps are incredibly confusing. If I get a HD-DTA from Comcast (verified they're avaliable in my market for an extra $2/mo.) but *do not* subscribe to comcast HD tier (it's an extra $10/mo. for digital starter), and use the HDMI out, will shows be in the correct aspect ratio?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

DuckConference posted:

What TV should I be looking at? I'm looking for something around:

- $500
- 42"
- 1080p

3D and 120Hz are irrelevant, and I have a slight preference for something WITHOUT smart TV features.

There seem to be LG, philips, and toshiba screens around this price point, and the LG 42LN5300 seems like the best one of them, but I'm curious if there are other options to look at.

I have a 40 inch Vizio M series from around that price point and it's pretty great, and the smart features don't add on any value to the TV, if it's a good TV they're practically a freebie nowadays. Besides they're pretty easy to ignore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mister Macys posted:

Late, but interesting. It begs the question of why the three companies mostly sell "720p" models in the sub-50" plasma size for the NA market.

My guess is that it's because the advantage of 1080p over 720p is a bit questionable under that size and the US market seems brutal as far as competition/low margins goes.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hi everyone, I'm looking at lower-tier TVs for my mom. These three are "the right price" and more or less identically spec'd. I'm leaning towards the LG, based on a review site that tested all three. Now, they were all rated 2 out of 10 for motion blur, and I wonder how glaring it would be. They all have 100Hz features listed, apparently that's not good enough? It's hard to find reliable reponse time numbers.

Samsung 42" LED TV UE42F5005AKXXE
Panasonic 42" LED TV TX-L42B6E
LG 42" LED TV 42LN540V

More or less the same inputs/outputs (2x HDMI), power consumption around 50W.

Moreover, they claim to be able to play video from USB. Has anyone tried this on recent lower-end TVs? Would they be likely to play back HD video (mkv container with any modern codec)?

(E:sp)

Double edit: Looks like at least LG and Samsung cover both of these with their 0 bright pixel warranties. How about Panasonic?

I can also find the LG 42LN5404 at 100€ cheaper, can't see any difference vs the LN540V, anyone know?
Triple edit: Also, LG 42LN5708 is available 50€ cheaper than the 42LN540V, and this one has ethernet and (supposedly) supports DLNA. Why is it cheaper, is it last year's model? Who knows. And the manufacturers don't list them by year. Sigh. This market is hosed up.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 27, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My Samsung will play back .MKVs, but it won't do .OGG audio, which fucks quite a few TAS Videos :sigh:.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mister Macys posted:

My Samsung will play back .MKVs, but it won't do .OGG audio, which fucks quite a few TAS Videos :sigh:.

That's good information, thanks!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

My guess is that it's because the advantage of 1080p over 720p is a bit questionable under that size and the US market seems brutal as far as competition/low margins goes.

Doesn't matter if you can't actually see the pixels, no one is going to buy a 720p tv in 2013. See also: 55" 4k tv's.
People in Europe still prefer much smaller TV's (because tiny houses and expensive electricity). And they need to be 1080p because well the commercial says i need 1080p. Still doesn't explain why they don't offer the same model in the US since they needed to develop it for the European/Japanese market anyway.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 28, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sony and Panasonic ended their OLED partnership, effectively ending OLED development for either company. They're both going to pursue LCD based 4K instead.

Thus, another nail is hammered into the quality coffin and I hope my ST50 lasts me a good drat long time.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
How can there be insurmountable technical problems for Panasonic/Sony when i can buy a Samsung or LG OLED TV today?
Are Japanese engineers that much less capable than Korean engineers or does "insurmountable problems" mean "We think consumers don't give a gently caress about quality and will be wowed by the higher 4k number" ?

Personally given the choice i would much rather have a 55" OLED 1080p than a 55" 4k LCD tv.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

NihilismNow posted:

or does "insurmountable problems" mean "We think consumers don't give a gently caress about quality and will be wowed by the higher 4k number" ?

Ding ding.

They probably don't feel it's worth more investment when 4k is an easier marketing sell than OLED. This is especially true when they've been diluting what LED means by referring to LED backlit TVs as just LED TVs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think I'm going to hold off on upgrading my Panasonic 42" 720p plasma for a few more years. Is there anything coming down the pipe in the next 3-4 years that'll be better quality wise than the plasma of today?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, as long as LG doesn't cancel production of their OLED displays, it'll be those.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm looking for a TV for my gym for blu-ray/netflix watching. I was hoping to find a deal during black friday, but the selection in the 32"-39" range was pretty mediocre this year. I know that TV prices tend to drop a lot around the superbowl, but I'm sort of skeptical that TV's in that size range will drop all that much since that's a bit small for living room usage. I stumbled across this today and was debating going for it. I don't need a large number of HDMI inputs or anything fancy as I'm probably only going to have a blu-ray player and possibly a roku or something hooked up to it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/39-class-38-1-2-diag--led-1080p-60hz-hdtv/7790041.p?id=1218860215454&skuId=7790041&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1#tab=reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Sony and Panasonic ended their OLED partnership, effectively ending OLED development for either company. They're both going to pursue LCD based 4K instead.

Well, makes my decision to grab a VT60 seem even smarter at least.

:(