Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kyle and Keith getting increasingly aware of their audience is pretty much my favorite part about their Silent Hill let's plays. Their open speculation about what the viewers are thinking about them is probably better to me than their actual reaction to the game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
SH 3 is my favorite of the series but to be fair to Kyle and Keith, it does have some of the most confusing level layouts. I've played it a dozen times and there's no way I could ever speed run it or get the Under 2 Hours stars because I constantly get disoriented.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I watched a friend play the game on and off and I distinctively remember similar levels of frustration with this part of the game and that train in particular.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

sc0ttmst posted:

I'm really glad someone else mentioned this. For the most part, the subway is totally silent. It's only when you run across enemies that the game makes that ungodly screeching noise. And if you're like me, you're playing this game in the pitch black, with good headphones and the volume cranked up way too loud. The first time I ran across that platform with doubleheads I nearly ripped the headphones off my head. That ambient track still makes me feel anxious, even watching this video in a brightly lit room.

Basically what I'm saying is I love Team Silent.

If only they were remotely competent at game design, then maybe the subway would be an engaging and interesting level! :v:

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I hate the subway. I'd always get so lost there, even during repeat playthrough. I think it wasn't til my fourth or fifth time when something clicked and I was able to navigate it without problems. I still find it really unnerving for some reason.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
The subway has a lot of empty space in between points of interest, yet the various sections of the level are very copypaste, making it hard to keep track of where you've been and where you need to go (map notwithstanding). Add to that the instadeaths involving the subway tracks, and it's an aggravating level that's hard to navigate.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The ending quote of this episode should go down in history for its accuracy.

The screeching with the dogs unnerves me even when hearing it with you guys talking over it.

Also a fun science fact: :science: lizards and snakes literally do have double-dick :science:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Snoop Radley posted:

I hate the subway. I'd always get so lost there, even during repeat playthrough. I think it wasn't til my fourth or fifth time when something clicked and I was able to navigate it without problems. I still find it really unnerving for some reason.

When going through the PS3 version (I know) for the platinum trophy I had that subway down to a science. I've completely forgotten it now. Luckily the next area is fairly good to make up for it.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Episode 07: Last Stop
End of the line.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Halloween? Are you getting 25Dec confused with 31Oct?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Merkinman posted:

Halloween? Are you getting 25Dec confused with 31Oct?

They play and then edit/release it much later. Who knows, they could have beaten the game by now. :unsmith:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
The station really is the game's low point. Nowhere to go but up from here!

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

turtlecrunch posted:

They play and then edit/release it much later. Who knows, they could have beaten the game by now. :unsmith:

Yo, we haven't. Also I can't believe how far behind this episode is. Must be one of the most we've ever done.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, this episode probably actually was filmed on Halloween.

Of 2012.

Kyle and Keith are very busy men; those 30 years of Mario aren't going to happen overnight.

edit: Also I just realized how appropriate my new avatar is for this thread. Hooray Heather :toot:

midwat
May 6, 2007

"The light from these Run Button Let's Plays actually originated billions of years ago, but is only now reaching Earth."

But seriously, good video, you guys.

midwat fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 28, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

midwat posted:

"The light from these Run Button Let's Plays actually originated billions of years ago, but is only now reaching Earth."

But seriously, good video, you guys.
They are still trapped in the Nightmare Barn from years ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really when you think about it Christmas is just Inverted World Halloween so it all makes sense either way.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Heather posted:

Nobody I know would give me something this gross.

This made me laugh because when I was at my grandma's for Christmas, I saw that one of my little cousins had brought the rifle he'd gotten that morning.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Heather's flavor text will never stop being great.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I am both relieved and saddened you didn't try to leave one of the train cars the way you came in, and fall off the back to your death.

On an aside note I had my first encounter with the feels and was very confused.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How are we 7 episodes in and the plot hasn't started yet?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It started a few episodes back when Heather ran into that weird lady who went on about witnessing The Beginning. Plus there's the private eye.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
The game kind of forgets the plot for a good stretch in the early running.

Congrats to K&K on getting the train to successfully stop on the first try. I still got run over a few times there.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

FlamingLiberal posted:

loving exactly.

Hirayuki posted:

It started a few episodes back when Heather ran into that weird lady who went on about witnessing The Beginning. Plus there's the private eye.

Yeah, but there's still no real context for either of those things.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

One episode was literally them getting bit by a train over and over. So it's more like six :v:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Somethingdumb posted:

Yeah, but there's still no real context for either of those things.

Have you even ever seen a Silent Hill game. Literally.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Squallege posted:

One episode was literally them getting bit by a train over and over. So it's more like six :v:

That's an essential part of the SH3 subway experience and cannot be omitted.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
The plot started with the first cutscene though? Like, already we know that there's something weird about Heather and specifically the circumstances of her birth, that people are looking for her-- that Claudia, who's clearly totally nuts and talking about the rebirth of paradise and everything, hired a private detective just to find Heather.

And that's a lot more than we knew in either Silent Hill 1 or 2 at this point. It's different already because we know that this is specifically targeted AT Heather, that things are following her around for some reason she doesn't understand. So we ALSO know that she wasn't just one of those people who wander haplessly into monsters.

The fact that you don't know everything yet isn't a failing of the game but rather an indication that you're like, one and a half 'levels' into it.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

The plot right now is literally that Heather is trying to get home and the world is breaking down and going crazy around her. You have a protagonist (Heather), a goal (getting home to your father without dying), and an apparent antagonist of some sort (that mysterious lady you met in the shopping mall that seemed to turned the world all crazy and freaky). And of course you have current side plot-points like a detective looking for her, people also apparently trying to find her based on his words, etc.

Not that this matters because you're still in the quite early stages of the game. I don't know what you're expecting to find out so fast.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Okay, I don't know if we discussed it in an already released video or an upcoming one, but here's what we all mean when we say there's no plot yet:
Silent Hill 1 and 2 start with immediate goals. Harry has to find his daughter and james has to solve the mystery of his dead wife sending him letters. Those both driving forces behind their respective games.
Right now, Heather has no goal. She's trying to go home, sure, but she'd be trying to do that anyway after an afternoon out. On top of that, every time a plot point finds her she runs away (IE detective and Claudia). While it might be true (and I don't think it is at all) that by this point the Silent Hill 3 plot is more development than its predecessors, because SH1 and 2 have immediate goals from the start, everything we do in the game seems like it's in service to finding the daughter/the wife. In actually we might just be opening doors and searching rooms but it FEELS like a mission. For Heather there is none of that. It just feels like we're trying to get from place A to B because she's kind of lost and confused. Way less lost and confused than she should be (though that's no different than previous games)

EDIT

Reaverbot posted:

a goal (getting home to your father without dying)
That is a goal that has been stretched to its absolute limit. There is nothing interesting about this as a goal. It does not promote any curiosity, it hinders exploration, and it's BORING.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Somethingdumb posted:

For Heather there is none of that. It just feels like we're trying to get from place A to B because she's kind of lost and confused. Way less lost and confused than she should be (though that's no different than previous games)

I don't know seems like this would be immersive for you guys :smug:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Silent Hill 3 is moderately longer than the first two. It takes a longer time setting up the story, perhaps a bit too long. But it'll get there when it gets there, this is one of my favorite games ever for a reason.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this is really slow-walking the story. It just seems like this is a bunch of random supernatural crap that Heather's suddenly starting to attract for no reason.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Episode 08: Ren Faire Sewer
A much-welcome change of scenery.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
To be fair, there was a sign that said Danger Keep Out.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
"I like this room. I could stay in this room." Classic SH series thinking.

Also I hate those spinny guys they are terrifying. I feel like SH3 had great enemies (eyenosaurs aside) but then the big weakness was the environments.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
The daddy thing is probably because it was written in Japanese for her to use an affectionate term for her father and daddy is really the only translation.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

The daddy thing is probably because it was written in Japanese for her to use an affectionate term for her father and daddy is really the only translation.
I didn't translate those parts of the script, but: The Japanese uses "Papa," which would have been even weirder. (Remember Angela from SH2?) As a translation, "Daddy" is a little too much; "Dad" is more accurate. I, a grown woman, most often call my father "Dad" in English and "Papa" when I refer to him in Japanese.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It could also just bee a regional thing. I've heard it a fair bit in the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
The daddy thing is sometimes a girly thing but it's definitely also a southern thing. I grew up in California and have always called my parents Mom and Dad, my Mom's also from California did the same with her parents, but my Dad's from Arkansas and his parents insisted that he call them Mother and Daddy. He's now in his 60s and both of his parents are dead but when he talks about them he still refers to them as Mother and Daddy, it's really weird.

• Locked thread