Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 423 days!

enotnert posted:

https://vine.co/v/h2AuPjel3qQ

I have this one in my office right now that I've had plugged up for days waiting for the rhythm to change.

neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
in javascript, all variables are doubles or something. don't loving use a pow function to compute squares.

x*x computes in one clock cycle but pow(x,2) probably takes like 6.

maybe they check to see if the exponent has no fractional component, but i doubt it.

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

i guess maybe if you're using javascript you're not too worried about counting flops

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Mathhole posted:

i guess maybe if you're using javascript you're not too worried about counting flops

counting all your projects would get pretty depressing.

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

fidel sarcastro posted:

counting all your projects would get pretty depressing.

i just live vicariously. i haven't had a project of my own in like a year :smith:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

enotnert posted:

Just got that book trig mentioned.

It's fuckin awesome, already gave me some more ideas about what to do with all these piezos i bought when i decided i wanted to sample a dying hard disk.

coooool

i've had that book sitting around for a long time, i'm jelly that you're actually getting into it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

see, this is why it's good to know a little something about analog electronics as well as digital stuff. i'm working on another little microcontroller project but it's for someone who won't want to deal with finicky lithium polymer batteries so i'm making it run on AAs. well the thing will stop running at 3.3v but can handle up to 6 just fine, so i figured for the longest life four nimh AAs will get me a range from about 5.6v to 4.0v as the battery discharges fully. i can't use a buck converter because i'd need at least 7v for the switching to be efficient so i'd basically need 6 batteries at least, and that's annoying cause most chargers only do four at a time. also size and weight and etc.

so four batteries it is. except...this one rather timing-specific thing is spazzing out when i drive the uc above 5v. i think it's cause i'm using the internal oscillator and the frequency changes enough with that voltage to ruin the timing. so i can't do that. i could go down to three batteries but then i'm starting out at 4.2v which is getting close to the cutoff so that will really kill the battery life.

buuut i could always just stick in a single diode with a 0.7v drop and hey presto our voltage source now ranges from 4.9v to 3.3v with no problems whatsoever.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
can't you just use a low drop out (LDO) voltage regulator? paired with some filtering calacitors, an LDO regulator will take input voltages of, like, down to 5.5V and output a steady 5V.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sort of, yes, but most batteries aren't a constant voltage power supply

even at the lowest drain, they start out at 1.4v and quickly drop to 1.25-1.3, and hit ~1v by the time they're completely discharged. i'm anticipating an average draw of 2---400mA. if the ldo requires 5.5v, that's 1.375v per battery, which is going to happen after like 10% of the discharge curve and after that you're below the threshold for the ldo to operate properly. if it has threshold lockout then it will just stop working, which is lovely because you don't use your batteries and the thing will actually run fine down below 5v. if it doesn't, it effectively starts just cutting whatever the dropout is from the supply, so it behaves exactly the same as a diode with a 0.5v drop. since i'd be spending 90% of the time in that region it's better to just use a diode.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
if you can live with the weirdness that can come from an uneven power supply then OK.

in the case of only being able to use 4 rechargeable AAs i'd probably just go with 3.3V parts and use a 3.3V LDO regulator instead, though.

guess it depends on your project.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Trig Discipline posted:

coooool

i've had that book sitting around for a long time, i'm jelly that you're actually getting into it

I also got another copy for a friend of mine, and it made him so happy.

His car got robbed about 8 months back, and it was after he was having to pack up his graduate office and move on into the real world. He had a well worn copy of it, and it was stolen as well.

His eyes just lit up :3

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hi dying thread

i made a thing

http://alexkindle.com/Home/okRobot2

it was an idiot spare time project

welp thats all

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody posted:

hi dying thread

i made a thing

http://alexkindle.com/Home/okRobot2

it was an idiot spare time project

welp thats all

u should let it do ur poasting

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

u should let it do ur poasting

yeah that's Coming Soon

not automated posting because im pretty sure thats frowned upon & i would never break the sacred sarules

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
working on a little random terrain/map generator. implementing perlin noise is making my head hurt

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
honkwife got me an fpv quadcopter for xmas. despite being an established pilot i managed to stuff it into the wall on xmas day. so the youtubes will be delayed whilst i fixeth it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

honkopter

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

yeah that's Coming Soon

not automated posting because im pretty sure thats frowned upon & i would never break the sacred sarules

have you seen HAL 219000's posts? because im pretty sure that's what :thejoke: is there

that or it's my posting give me your answer do

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

syscall girl posted:

have you seen HAL 219000's posts? because im pretty sure that's what :thejoke: is there

that or it's my posting give me your answer do

yes i am aware but i don't have my own hal 219000 and i want one :colbert:

unrelated http://alexkindle.com/Home/okRobot2?seed=1592576083 now there's permalinks

Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

honkwife got me an fpv quadcopter for xmas. despite being an established pilot i managed to stuff it into the wall on xmas day. so the youtubes will be delayed whilst i fixeth it

its p easy to do this with quadrotors regardless of experience, yeah

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Learning 3D sculpting / modelling so I can make my own things in the 3D printer rather than just downloading from Thingiverse.

Not bad for my second attempt :vd:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

one of the most difficult aspects of okrobot was integrating a "share on facebook button"

i am literally the worst web dev ever for having struggled with this

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
i'd ask what idiot clicks on those facebook buttons anyway, but the answer would probably depress me

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

Is it a Markov model or do you copy large chunks of text?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mathhole posted:

Is it a Markov model or do you copy large chunks of text?

A blend of second and first order markovs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

need a new electronics project

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

poo poo posting detector

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

poo poo posting detector

a light that just stays on isn't much of a project

how's the bike?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

poo poo posting detector

it's been done already: http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=results&requestid=7559591

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

Bloody posted:

A blend of second and first order markovs

next make a markov image generator using okcupid profiles pics to train the model.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

you have to copy the link location before you click the link, it does a meta refresh to a search results page and that request id expires quick so that link doesn't work for anyone else

see like this http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=do_search_posthistory&userid=12709

jeez learn how to do a proper burn yospos

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Werthog 95 posted:

travelling spark gap, tesla coil, railgun, gauss gun, aluminium induction smelter

more "electricity" than "electronics" projects, but~

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

eh electronics is for nerds anyway

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Werthog 95 posted:

an nes that calculates statistically what words get used the most and then generates poo poo posts from them and says them on a tv with giant letters maybe

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
or maybe a yospos robotic arm that continually flips you off via a webcam

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

peepsalot posted:

you have to copy the link location before you click the link, it does a meta refresh to a search results page and that request id expires quick so that link doesn't work for anyone else

see like this http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=do_search_posthistory&userid=12709

jeez learn how to do a proper burn yospos

fuuuuuuuck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

coffeetable posted:

travelling spark gap, tesla coil, railgun, gauss gun, aluminium induction smelter

more "electricity" than "electronics" projects, but~

i was building a little tabletop rail gun for a while out of a bunch of disposable camera flash units that i got for free. assuming reasonable efficiency numbers it should have been able to shoot bbs about as fast as a cheap pellet gun (~150m/s) but with a big snap and flash of plasma and all that. i quit working on it after i exploded a few 14ga wires by accident and realized i was screwing around with enough energy to kill a herd of elephants

still kinda want to go back to it, though. listening to the flyback whistle like iron man's pulse cannons as it was charging up the whole bank was super cool

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i was building a little tabletop rail gun for a while out of a bunch of disposable camera flash units that i got for free. assuming reasonable efficiency numbers it should have been able to shoot bbs about as fast as a cheap pellet gun (~150m/s) but with a big snap and flash of plasma and all that. i quit working on it after i exploded a few 14ga wires by accident and realized i was screwing around with enough energy to kill a herd of elephants

still kinda want to go back to it, though. listening to the flyback whistle like iron man's pulse cannons as it was charging up the whole bank was super cool

:pwn:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Hex dump implemented using only the bash scripting utilities that are included with Windows Git. Git doesn't come with od or hexdump. It comes with Perl but that would be cheating. I used awk only after exploring many alternatives using bash and/or sed.

Bash code:
break_chars()
{
  BINMODE=3 awk '
    BEGIN { FS="" }
    {
      $0 = $0 RT
      for(i = 1; i <= NF; i = i + 1)
      {
        printf "%s\n", ($i == "\r" ? "\\r" :
                        $i == "\n" ? "\\n" :
                        $i);
      }
    }'
}

char_vals()
{
  sed -e "s/.*/'&'/" |
  sed -e "/'\\\\.'/ s/^/\$/" |
  sed -e "s/'''/\\\\'/" |
  sed -e "s/^/printf %d\\\\\\\n \\\\'/" |
  bash |
  sed -e '/^-/ s/.*/$((256&))/; s/^/printf %02x\\\\n /' |
  bash
}

hexdump()
{
  break_chars | char_vals
}

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
cistps: it just occurred to me that the game i'm making is basically a roguelike, but instead of generating dungeons with monsters and treasure, it generates mysteries with suspects and clues

i still suck at graphics :smith: