Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Clearly Ken Jennings should be on the American version. On a similar note, in England there are a bunch of quiz shows reliant on having people there every week who are super smart (Eggheads, The Chase, even Pointless actually) so they'd be a solid choice. But yeah - realistically it would be pretty tough to get good people to agree to come every single week. Probably the best way would be to go after smart people more than particularly famous people. They could definitely do it without cheesy forced-dramatic bullshit though, since that's not a problem inherent to reality tv, it's a problem with lazy producers falling back on old tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The famous people on this show seem to do better then the ones who are smartest on paper. There is a part that plays where they are better at influencing people but like this week in the deathmatch that was a visual pattern recognition game a professional Go player was beaten by a sports presenter (who is adorable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OlNQYPU9E ) where you'd expect Dayhe to be much better at both the game and playing it under pressure.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'd have to agree that the best chance of a western version of The Genius succeeding at capturing the interactions would be a UK one using panel show regulars and the like. It still probably wouldn't manage to capture it entirely, but at least it would have a lot of the things required - short distances so people could reasonably come every week if they committed, significant familiarity between (most) contestants, probably a fairly affable atmosphere...more likely to be funny than most well-known US comedians too, simply because they're used to a more casual, less (not non, but less) scripted comedy than sitcom stars would be.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Is it me or is Eunkyul a bit of an idiot? He hasn't really done anything good at all yet.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Looking at Bumdidlyumptious' twitter it looks like someone made a text based game out of the food chain game. Too bad it's not in English :(.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

SMP posted:

Looking at Bumdidlyumptious' twitter it looks like someone made a text based game out of the food chain game. Too bad it's not in English :(.

Yeah, we could get a goon game going here.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Nexal posted:

Yeah, we could get a goon game going here.

The play by post subforum runs Survivor and Big Brother games. An entire playthrough of The Genius could be awesome too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've been considering a TGR run of the Genius once the season ends. It depends on whether I have the time then and if I can figure out a way to replicate the setup in IRC rooms.

Brazen Apothecary
Apr 9, 2007

NIGHTCREWBESTCREW

Rarity posted:

I've been considering a TGR run of the Genius once the season ends. It depends on whether I have the time then and if I can figure out a way to replicate the setup in IRC rooms.

Have been thinking of this too--would be happy to lend a hand.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Working my way through season 1 now, enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks for the Christmas present of a fun Korean game show!

S1, Episode 7 spoiler: POONG NOOO! You were my boy Poong! Sigh. Jinho will take your place in my heart with his straight up Genius in the Open, Pass game.

I'd love to participate in an online version of the Genius, if you'll have me. Maybe separate IRC channels to represent the rooms the contestants go to? It seems really hard to duplicate, but I'm definitely intrigued by the possibilities.

Thoughts after Season 1: Wooo! I got my wish! Jinho had so many mind blowing plays in the season. For me it's a tie between him realizing that the Open, Pass cards would look BARELY different when inverted, and using that to mark his multiplications in place of colors, and him giving 5 of the 10 people in the 5:5 game their own unique trait that he could ask them about. The only way that could have been any sweeter would have been if he'd asked his "V" sign question last, but given the stakes I don't blame him for sticking to the same people.

Time to dig in to season 2!

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 27, 2013

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

Zythrst posted:

Season 1 Episode 7 Jinho you magnificent bastard! The look on everybody's faces as they realized what was happening was priceless.

Alright, can someone explain this to me? I've watched the show explanation a couple times and still don't understand how Jinho knew which cards were which. The pattern on the back was different depending on which way the card was oriented but how did that determine the face?

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

fippo posted:

Alright, can someone explain this to me? I've watched the show explanation a couple times and still don't understand how Jinho knew which cards were which. The pattern on the back was different depending on which way the card was oriented but how did that determine the face?

He reversed the multiplication cards before giving them to the dealer so he could identify them.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

fippo posted:

One orientation was X symbols, the other was numbers. Rather than using 3 different colours, Jinho used 2 colours, but with one of the colours having the two different orientations (so there were still 3 different "sets" he could distinguish between).

But my favourite Jinho moment is definitely from the 5/5 game where he realises creating new information is the way to win the game. Such a simple little thing that guarantees absolute victory. I thought it was hilarious how the racing model and other guests said they became big Jinho fans because of it.

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

Shakugan posted:

One orientation was X symbols, the other was numbers. Rather than using 3 different colours, Jinho used 2 colours, but with one of the colours having the two different orientations (so there were still 3 different "sets" he could distinguish between).

OK I see now. I didn't realize that the shuffle the dealer did wasn't a full split deck shuffle but just a quick rearrangement. That trick definitely wouldn't've worked with a real shuffle.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

fippo posted:

OK I see now. I didn't realize that the shuffle the dealer did wasn't a full split deck shuffle but just a quick rearrangement. That trick definitely wouldn't've worked with a real shuffle.

Right, but he knew it would work. Because they gave a demonstration (Sungmin did it I recall) and he was able to see how they shuffled. The assistants (for lack of a better term?) would have specifically been instructed to shuffle in that way so doing what Jinho did was possible.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Shakugan posted:

But my favourite Jinho moment is definitely from the 5/5 game where he realises creating new information is the way to win the game. Such a simple little thing that guarantees absolute victory. I thought it was hilarious how the racing model and other guests said they became big Jinho fans because of it.

Honestly, I thought it was cheating because wasn't one of the rules no requests to the guests? I am obviously wrong since he won, but I definitely thought that wasn't an option. I guess it's not a request if you just do it?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Femur posted:

Honestly, I thought it was cheating because wasn't one of the rules no requests to the guests? I am obviously wrong since he won, but I definitely thought that wasn't an option. I guess it's not a request if you just do it?

There was a rule 'you should not listen to any requests from the players' which I think meant something they should not do things like 'vote X every round' or 'don't talk to Sangmin'. With Jinho's talent for bending the rules I'm suprised he never asked the question how many people voted X in the previous round after getting a 5/5.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I don't think Jinho's strategy for the 5:5 game was particular clever, although that's mainly because his strategy was the first thing I thought of, and if I came up with it, then it can't be possibly be clever.

Femur posted:

His information wasn't really a "request", though; it was new valid information about the guests that wasn't there before. He wasn't asking them to lie and say that they touched hands. He actually touched hands, and reinforced it verbally so they would remember it.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
Regarding the token of immortality, does anyone else think it's already been found? Jinho seemed to search the garage fairly thoroughly and I'm sure there's been plenty opportunities for people to randomly search around in the first two episodes.

I'm feeling these clues are useless and there will be a big reveal within the next few episodes.

I'm also hoping that Hongchul's comment about this being no place for idols means Jiwon will be gone soon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fuoco posted:

Regarding the token of immortality, does anyone else think it's already been found? Jinho seemed to search the garage fairly thoroughly and I'm sure there's been plenty opportunities for people to randomly search around in the first two episodes.

I'm feeling these clues are useless and there will be a big reveal within the next few episodes.

I'm also hoping that Hongchul's comment about this being no place for idols means Jiwon will be gone soon.

If it's in a "safe" then it's possible that it needs a combination to get it and that means it's unlikely that someone has gotten it yet.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I caught up to the 2nd season (and am rewatching season 1 with my husband). Love the show.

I didn't think I'd like Hongchul, but he is now my almost-favorite person on the show (Sangmin still holds the position, albeit tenuously, from the previous season). I feel like Hongchul brings a lot of color and personality to the game. He talks a lot, but I haven't gotten annoyed because he seems to be doing it to disarm/charm/cheerfully intimidate people, rather than just because he's an irritating chatterbox. Re-watching season 1 with my husband, I've sorely missed his colorful personality.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 29, 2013

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

If it's in a "safe" then it's possible that it needs a combination to get it and that means it's unlikely that someone has gotten it yet.

Ah, so that's why Jinho mentioned a safe. I rewatched the introduction and I didn't see a mention of it there.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I might be making this up, but it looked like Eunkyul was reading the clue over Jinho's shoulder, and Jinho knew and didn't care.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Shakugan posted:

That's probably my favorite moment too. It really cemented him as a Genius in my mind. Amazing how so many of the games can come down to a simple solution. The 5:5 game was probably the best game of the season, and I hope there's more games like it in season 2. So many mind-blowing moves from everyone in that game.

I'm all aboard the Hongchul love train as well.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 29, 2013

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm glad Hongchul is keeping it light, but his schtick would be a lot more annoying if he were against Jinho or Sangmin.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Got linked to this show a couple weeks ago and I've binged through it. :allears: They really happened on the perfect set of circumstances to create a real Liar Game.

Sangmin is absolutely the highlight of the show. You know he's a snake but he's just so charming. I hope he can manage to disarm the distrusting season 2 contestants, seeing him completely alone and ignored in S2E1/2 made me feel he was screwed but he started turning it around in E3.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Ep 4 is up on the tumblr

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Really awesome episode, full of so many twists and turns. I think Eunkyul was too detached from everyone, it made him easy to throw under the bus when it got to the death match. And Jinho shuffling the decks was another wonderful move that made me go :allears: Can't wait to see Jinho vs. Doohee next week, as much as Yohwan was gimmick casting as his rival it feels like Doohee is the one who actually has that position.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Really awesome episode, full of so many twists and turns. I think Eunkyul was too detached from everyone, it made him easy to throw under the bus when it got to the death match. And Jinho shuffling the decks was another wonderful move that made me go :allears: Can't wait to see Jinho vs. Doohee next week, as much as Yohwan was gimmick casting as his rival it feels like Doohee is the one who actually has that position.

Definitely agree on the Jinho stack shuffle. It really seemed like Sangmin had a brilliant idea, but Jinho was a step ahead of him. Yohwan is also like the biggest non-entity on the show, besides when he is begging to not be eliminated.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I need to stop watching previews...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The main match of this week's ep wasn't too great, but I'm really happy with who got eliminated. All that back-stabbing just to get rid of Jiwon for no reason? Dude is like one of the least threatening players there. I'm glad everyone rallied around him as he felt like a deer caught in headlights most of the episode, and his last two bets in the death match were really clever.

Next week will be really good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The deathmatch really was a match of Dumb vs Dumber, seriously both those guys are idiots who haven't done a single smart move yet. Also I'm really looking forward to next week, Dohee time!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nexal posted:

I need to stop watching previews...

Tell me about it, that way way too much information.

qbert posted:

The main match of this week's ep wasn't too great, but I'm really happy with who got eliminated. All that back-stabbing just to get rid of Jiwon for no reason? Dude is like one of the least threatening players there. I'm glad everyone rallied around him as he felt like a deer caught in headlights most of the episode, and his last two bets in the death match were really clever.

I know. I figured the magician would be the best team member for a game dependent on misdirection but I guess there was just some personality conflicts that made him vulnerable. Also, it would have made sense if he was trying to force Jinho or Sangmin into a death match since those two are the most clever and pro-active players in the game, but Jiwon is not a long term threat.

Eunkyul should have gone all in on that second to last bet. He was setting up a big win in the last two rounds by Jiwon by not doing that (though it didn't work out that way) and going all in would have given him a chance to win.

I'm pleased to see that the safe has definitely been found but no one has information on the combination yet.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Hong Chul stirring poo poo up and Yoonsun sniffing out the betrayer from a remark most would have missed. drat I love this show. Tough to pick my favorite between those two and Sangrim, hoping all three stick around for a bit yet.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I don't get why Eunkyul was targeting people before the match (or at least why he'd admit it). What's the point? It's not fun and doesn't add to the game. So I'm pleased that he didn't survived the deathmatch. Yoonsun wins episode MVP for sniffing out the conspiracy, but Jinho win's Best Move by shuffling the decks and one-upping Sangmin.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just watched the episode, and I'm not sure what you guys are talking about as far as Jinho shuffling the deck. What deck?

roxanne
Sep 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

And Jinho shuffling the decks was another wonderful move that made me go :allears:
I had to pause it for a moment to :aaa:

I'm so glad someone recommended this show in the Survivor thread, it's great.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

WhiteHowler posted:

I just watched the episode, and I'm not sure what you guys are talking about as far as Jinho shuffling the deck. What deck?

Regarding that trick: one of the other contestants noticed that they start with even stacks of chips, so if you go second and see what's smaller, you can tell what the person before you picked. Jinho figured this out, so he shuffled the stacks of chips around so that people after him would be giving false information.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Darksaber posted:

Regarding that trick: one of the other contestants noticed that they start with even stacks of chips, so if you go second and see what's smaller, you can tell what the person before you picked. Jinho figured this out, so he shuffled the stacks of chips around so that people after him would be giving false information.
Ah, I think I was letting the dog out when they were showing that part. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't get why Eunkyul was targeting people before the match (or at least why he'd admit it). What's the point? It's not fun and doesn't add to the game. So I'm pleased that he didn't survived the deathmatch. Yoonsun wins episode MVP for sniffing out the conspiracy, but Jinho win's Best Move by shuffling the decks and one-upping Sangmin.

No, trying to eliminate Jiwon was the best thing Eunkyul ever did, and it's a shame it failed. RIP Eunkyul, hero and martyr in the global war on Jiwon.