Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dwarf posted:

Does anyone else have the problem where you lose your entire inventory when you enter the game?

A bunch of people have mentioned that, but it seems to be a sporadic bug at best. Sounds like you're unlucky.

SuperNuts posted:

Everywhere I've read about this game except here says it's utter poo poo. The premise and mechanics sound fun to me but all the bad talk makes me apprehensive. Can anyone sell me on this for $30 or should I pass?

Like others have said, it's janky. It's very much an alpha. Zombies and animals animate horribly, run way too fast and are hard to hit unless you're backpedaling and making them chase you. The physics system is basically just Minecraft sand on crack. The map is small. It's by no means a super polished game.

However, to me it is already way more fun than Day Z. I can hop in and craft a club and crossbow with random poo poo I find lying on the ground and start surviving and killing zombies and building a fort without running around for ten hours bored out of my drat mind. And the crafting is again basically just like Minecraft - you can make whatever sort of structure you can think of with blocks.

What's best about the game is that it sets the stage for great emergent gameplay experiences. The LLJK server has only been up for a few days, but already there are dozens of little safehouses that were built and abandoned (or often still guarded) by goons or pubbies you can go explore and raid. You can spend an evening doing dumb poo poo like blowing up a factory, or you can create a hideously beautiful murderhouse, or you can run around gathering supplies and trying your damnedest to survive each night in some quickly cobbled together safehouse.

It's an expensive alpha, but if you like Minecraft and survival games it's probably right up your alley. If you're on the fence about either, wait to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I'm gonna try and get some better gameplay footage that can go in the OP for people that are curious about the game, I tried to get some earlier but was getting single-digit fps when recording plus I kept coughing into my mic.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Picked this up with some hat money, and I liked what I saw while fooling around in singleplayer. I have a pretty high tolerance for jank provided the experience is novel and interesting (see: shores of hazeron :v:) so I'm not too bothered by the rough edges.

This game reminds me a lot of the roguelike Cataclysm, especially with all the bean-scavenging and property damage. I hope that when vehicles are working you can ram then into buildings to bust through walls like in Cata, because there was nothing funnier than powersliding your freshly built doom-truck into a gas station due to losing control from low driving skill.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I got banned from every minecraft server I ever played on for things that are promoted in this game. I'm not so much of a builder as I am a demolisher. Is there a way to survive without setting up a permanent safehouse? Is it possible to just be a complete nomad?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Philosopher King posted:

I got banned from every minecraft server I ever played on for things that are promoted in this game. I'm not so much of a builder as I am a demolisher. Is there a way to survive without setting up a permanent safehouse? Is it possible to just be a complete nomad?

It's possible to be a complete nomad and scavenger as long as A: the server hasn't been up forever and ever without a reset because then everyone will have hoarded all the resources and B: You don't get too heavily into mining and stick to digging small holes to get coal and other ores.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So I've heard two strategies to living in this game once you can get yourself almost self-sufficient.

Bore into the ground, cover up all avenues of escape, live like a hermit while you wait for someone to dig in and pop you.

Live high above ground, cover up all avenues of escape, live like a hermit, wait for zombies to collapse your structure, die a horrible death.

Is this more or less true? :v:

E: I hope they add vehicles so I can fulfill my fantasies of whistling ride of the valkyries as I fire rockets at pubbies before returning to Goonstrip 1, rearming, and going out again.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 28, 2013

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So I've heard two strategies to living in this game once you can get yourself almost self-sufficient.

Bore into the ground, cover up all avenues of escape, live like a hermit while you wait for someone to dig in and pop you.

Live high above ground, cover up all avenues of escape, live like a hermit, wait for zombies to collapse your structure, die a horrible death.

Is this more or less true? :v:

It's not so much dependent on where you live so much as who you're with:

With pubbies, you

1. Spawn
2. Run around like a headless chicken trying to find nearby resources
3. Find a hubcap and a tin can and absolutely nothing else
4. Give up looking and punch a wall in frustration
5. Find someone's stash behind the wall
6. Steal all their poo poo
7. Attempt to use newfound "someone else's poo poo" to fortify a base
8. Die to zombie dogs
9. GOTO 1

With goons you just

1. Spawn
2. Ask other goons in the mumble where the gooncave is
3. Almost die getting to the gooncave
4. Live in luxury in post-apocalyptic underground frat house and eat corn erryday

:v:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Murderchurch.

Someone had a terrifying evening in the rich folk district. Barricade made entirely of leather sofas and flat screen TVs.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

RIP Murderchurch. Some loving pubby walked in, looted some explosives, and wiped out our base.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

to be fair, my body died before our building died. I DIED FOR YOUR SINS

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Can you make predator-style boyscout super traps? Boulder crushing traps? I've not played minecraft so I don't exactly know the limits of its physics.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Roumba posted:

Can you make predator-style boyscout super traps? Boulder crushing traps? I've not played minecraft so I don't exactly know the limits of its physics.

From what I've seen so far, you can craft Barbed Wire and wooden spike for pit traps, as well as mines that just need a bit of gunpowder. You can also mine out everything underneath a floor so that as soon as someone puts their weight on it, it will collapse into a pit. I don't really understand how that works just yet though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Don't think this and its conceptual sister-game, Rust, are for me, sadly. I can't get into the mindset of enjoying building something when at any moment some other kid can come into the sandbox and kick over your sand castle. That is not what I build sand castles for.

I build them so I can kick them over when I'm done. Myself!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Speedball posted:

Don't think this and its conceptual sister-game, Rust, are for me, sadly. I can't get into the mindset of enjoying building something when at any moment some other kid can come into the sandbox and kick over your sand castle. That is not what I build sand castles for.

I build them so I can kick them over when I'm done. Myself!

This is why I'm hosting a closed, passworded server for me and a friend to play in. I enjoy it more that way.

Where rust is just about staying alive if you can.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The death of Murderchurch, as the LLJK server is getting reset.

We barely knew ye.

Okay so it wasn't the death of Murderchurch so much as setting off a bunch of TNT and then resetting the server, but whatever.

kedo fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 28, 2013

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Before we left Murderchurch, we set off a pyrotechnics display that would make Michael Bay weep. It also lagged the poo poo out of the server.

Behold: http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=E2lztlGUdRk

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

In spite of hackers and other myriad troubles, goonchurch 2.0 is coming along nicely. I used the wrong key to take screenshots like a moron though :shepface:

I did learn that plywood planking has a very low load-bearing capacity, when my tree scouting post collapsed from zombies climbing all over it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Awww, hackers are in this game too? That stuff really killed DayZ's fun.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

BlueDestiny posted:

In spite of hackers and other myriad troubles, goonchurch 2.0 is coming along nicely. I used the wrong key to take screenshots like a moron though :shepface:

I did learn that plywood planking has a very low load-bearing capacity, when my tree scouting post collapsed from zombies climbing all over it.

I was up there as well and I fell onto the giant spikes below. Claiming that the physics system is just Minecraft's sand seems a gross oversimplification- that was surprising in the best sort of way.
For those on the fence about this game it's a ton of fun with goons.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pendent posted:

I was up there as well and I fell onto the giant spikes below. Claiming that the physics system is just Minecraft's sand seems a gross oversimplification- that was surprising in the best sort of way.
For those on the fence about this game it's a ton of fun with goons.

The thirty or so people we had on quit for the night after I banned the hacker since it was 3AM, so you all missed my construction efforts. Suffice to say that murder church looks like some sort of hosed up post-apocalyptic cult compound now. It's not finished yet, but it's pretty impressive.

Whereas I made the first murder church a rugged survivalist compound (In fact I originally built it as a backup stash for myself.) that looked like something out of a cross between Hellraiser, Fallout, and some sort of hosed up cult, this one is more organized, being designed to withstand ridiculous sieges and give the people within even more freedom of external movement.

There's multiple layers of defenses, trenches dug out with (often bloody) pungi sticks (with zombies impaled within), a mountable reinforced concrete wall and bunkers being set up for gunners to mow down the hordes, another layer of two tile tall impaling spikes behind that, and a final layer of pungi sticks that murder many, many zombies before they reach the trench.

Also, you can mount the concrete wall to loot zombie corpses that pile up in the trenches below, which makes for easy resource farming. Suffice to say that the place is basically built to withstand zombie D-Day.

Here's a lovely preview of it since I was stuck up top sniping the incoming zombie hordes. It's hard to see, but those white spikes poking up behind the concrete barrier are actually layer three of the defenses. Between them and the wall is a trench filled with smaller spikes.

The zombies take massive damage getting to that point, get stuck on the sticks after falling into the trench, then die before inflicting much/any damage to the concrete wall due to being stun locked due to being trapped and unable to attack. Someone up top can then loot their corpses, and if needed reset the small spike traps if they break. Which makes for incredibly easy resource farming.

I may also add another outer layer of spikes farther out, since whoever did the first layer really didn't do a good job of setting up the defenses. Part of the insane defensive measures I took was to ensure that goons could walk around outside in our little town at night without having to get mobbed by zombies, since their defenses weren't cutting it.

Once we get a second or third floor built i'm going to construct a giant scrap metal cross (That may or may not be on fire and covered in zombie guts, if I can somehow get the aforementioned guts out there.) and pews on the top floor. The cross will rise into the sky and proclaim to everyone that Murderchurch 2.0 is complete. The pews themselves will actually be storage chests (Which look remarkably like them.), and will be filled with nothing but guns, explosives, and ammunition that I craft and salvage from the zombie horde's burnt and impaled corpses.

I just need enough people on to distract the zombies while I finish the defenses up, since they keep trying to tear the vulnerable layers down while I build the next one. When it's done it will look like something out of a black metal album cover. :black101:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Awww, hackers are in this game too? That stuff really killed DayZ's fun.

They're not that hard to deal with. I just need to figure out the server commands via Putty to ban them. Also, how to connect the command console via Putty. :v: Otherwise it just requires a quick three minute reboot to add their Steam account to the list of banned accounts.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 28, 2013

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I'm trying to find out whether the game will run OK on a 2013 Macbook Air.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I've made a PGS thread. Go here if you want to learn how to not be shot by goons in case you can't read the rest of the thread and other useful tips!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598167

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Looks like I'll wait til the last day of the steam sale to see if this thing drops any lower. Even if it doesn't I'll probably end up getting it.

Will there be hats?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

RIP Murderchurch 2.0

Long live the Vietgoon stronghold! Listening to you guys dig tunnels with the auger was hilarious because I would hear it grinding away for a while, then stop while everyone checked if they'd hit the next house yet.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
We relived a bit of goonswarm when we started hopping across servers. We found a hastily fortified and overrun house in huxton with the pubbies upstairs. I threw down a sleeping bag for a spawn point right outside the door and we basically rushed them like a bunch of hapless zerglings, dying in droves but slowly driving the two pubbies with guns back to the roof where we finally cornered and killed them to take their guns. They tried to use the same spawn point and tactics, but we were too many.

Playing with goons is a blast.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Philosopher King posted:

Looks like I'll wait til the last day of the steam sale to see if this thing drops any lower. Even if it doesn't I'll probably end up getting it.

Will there be hats?

it won't. They aren't going to undercut their kickstarter backers anymore than they currently are. When it hits beta, it'll drop to $25

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Drakenel posted:

We relived a bit of goonswarm when we started hopping across servers. We found a hastily fortified and overrun house in huxton with the pubbies upstairs. I threw down a sleeping bag for a spawn point right outside the door and we basically rushed them like a bunch of hapless zerglings, dying in droves but slowly driving the two pubbies with guns back to the roof where we finally cornered and killed them to take their guns. They tried to use the same spawn point and tactics, but we were too many.

Playing with goons is a blast.

You didn't mention the part where it turned into night, and we did this while under full attack by a swarm of zombies. It turned into something of a mess.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Goons ruin everything they touch. With TNT.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Spent a while shooting tree branches down with a crossbow so I could expand my tree house into a tree village.

This loving game :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, this is proving pretty fun so far. Its a real shame about the couple of hackers that've popped up on the goon server though.

Also, I wish there were more player skins or some other convenient way to ID players. An easier way of telling who is a goon and who is a target would be nice.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So i've found a new favorite hobby.

First, make a fake base underground. Make it have a huge labyrinthine structure. We're talking, mazes upon mazes to get out. Then load the tunnel systems with explosive mines that gib a player on stepping on them. Then create a few pits filled with pungi sticks that collapse when a person steps on the wrong tile in a room. Then put a token loot chest for the occasional person who has to use his toolbar next to the bed they spawn at to give them an incentive to run the thing in case they realize what's up.

Optionally, mine out parts of the top of it and proceed to plate it down with glass, for viewing them like rats in a maze as they die trying to escape. Optionally for that option, create a pimped out giant scrap throne that they can see when they spawn in, and always refer to yourself in third person as "The Mazemaster" in casual conversation with them. Then enjoy the fireworks and subsequent freak outs. :unsmigghh:

It's amazing how many people will run a death trap for a few empty glass jars. I may take to descending from my throne to hunt them with a fire axe too. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 29, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Archonex posted:

So i've found a new favorite hobby.

First, make a fake base underground. Make it have a huge labyrinthine structure. We're talking, mazes upon mazes to get out. Then load the tunnel systems with explosive mines that gib a player on stepping on them. Then create a few pits filled with pungi sticks that collapse when a person steps on the wrong tile in a room. Then put a token loot chest for the occasional person who has to use his toolbar next to the bed they spawn at to give them an incentive to run the thing in case they realize what's up.

Optionally, mine out parts of the top of it and proceed to plate it down with glass, for viewing them like rats in a maze as they die trying to escape. Optionally for that option, create a pimped out giant scrap throne that they can see when they spawn in, and always refer to yourself in third person as "The Mazemaster" in casual conversation with them. Then enjoy the fireworks and subsequent freak outs. :unsmigghh:

It's amazing how many people will run a death trap for a few empty glass jars. I may take to descending from my throne to hunt them with a fire axe too. :v:

I may never play this game. I will always have this thread bookmarked. :allears:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

VanSandman posted:

I may never play this game. I will always have this thread bookmarked. :allears:

Same. I came here via the griefing thread, by way of the PYF schadenfreude thread. I haven't even played a game since Playstation 1 / SW Dark Forces era stuff.

That said, this game looks like hella fun. I'm not fussy about janky mechanics or lag time since everything looks pretty sweet when you're used to the original GTA. Is there a steep learning curve for gramma here to try these sort of games, or am I actually better off not being used to how, say, Minecraft works?

I don't even know how Steam works :ohdear:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Same. I came here via the griefing thread, by way of the PYF schadenfreude thread. I haven't even played a game since Playstation 1 / SW Dark Forces era stuff.

That said, this game looks like hella fun. I'm not fussy about janky mechanics or lag time since everything looks pretty sweet when you're used to the original GTA. Is there a steep learning curve for gramma here to try these sort of games, or am I actually better off not being used to how, say, Minecraft works?

I don't even know how Steam works :ohdear:

It's easy to get into this game, I'd say easier than minecraft. Especially because even though less stuff is explained, there's less stuff to learn, and a lot of the goons on the lljk server can explain things well. Heck, look for me in the mumble and ask me to help you get started if you see I'm on, I'm always happy to help.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah it is all very basic and easy to get the hang of. I had only played a little minecraft before this and i figured it out.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The problem this game has is the price tag, when its $15 bucks over Rust and $5 over DayZ people look at it a bit leerily.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

YellerBill posted:

It's easy to get into this game, I'd say easier than minecraft. Especially because even though less stuff is explained, there's less stuff to learn, and a lot of the goons on the lljk server can explain things well. Heck, look for me in the mumble and ask me to help you get started if you see I'm on, I'm always happy to help.

the dad farm posted:

Yeah it is all very basic and easy to get the hang of. I had only played a little minecraft before this and i figured it out.

I guess maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Minecraft specifically when looking for comparison; I mean, can someone who hasn't played a PC game since her Mac Performa 6400 days get the hang of this game quickly enough? FWIW, my housemate plays a lot of DC Universe, so I'm no stranger to the gist of MMO stuff. My PC & connection are handy enough specwise. Plus with many years of goondom, you just sort of absorb some gaming knowledge by osmosis.

(Sorry, I don't mean to derail!)

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

I guess maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Minecraft specifically when looking for comparison; I mean, can someone who hasn't played a PC game since her Mac Performa 6400 days get the hang of this game quickly enough? FWIW, my housemate plays a lot of DC Universe, so I'm no stranger to the gist of MMO stuff. My PC & connection are handy enough specwise. Plus with many years of goondom, you just sort of absorb some gaming knowledge by osmosis.

It is actually one of the simpler games to play, yes. :) Goons tend to be quite helpful in the games they inhabit, as long as you can get on mumble and prove your goony heritage. :v:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Oh no, you're not derailing anything.

And don't worry, you'll probably do fine. If not, that's what the goons in mumble are for :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BuhamutZeo posted:

It is actually one of the simpler games to play, yes. :) Goons tend to be quite helpful in the games they inhabit, as long as you can get on mumble and prove your goony heritage. :v:

They can be pretty helpful even if you're not a goon sometimes, as long as you can prove you're not a cock.