Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

:frogsiren: Recruitment is closed, this is an OOC thread now.

Class A-3 is here.
Class B-2 is here.

Old recruitment OP:

quote:

Hello! I am Ettin and I like running super anime games. Let's play one together!

The Game

Breakfast Cult is a Fate Accelerated game I invented for the October design contest. The basic premise is Breakfast Club + Phoenix Wright + Arkham Horror - a bunch of magic detention hall students are faced with a looming occult disaster and have to stop it by solving crimes. It's also partly inspired by other Lovecraftian RPGs, like The Laundry and CthulhuTech (which I run other pbps of, this isn't the same setting though), and by Danganronpa (because I was originally just going to make an RPG of that for the contest but decided that was lame).

I want to playtest Breakfast Cult, to try out a few rules tweaks and see if it needs any other changes. That's where you come in! (Mid-game rules changes are unlikely but plausible.)

The PDF is here, but you don't really need it - all you need to know is Fate Accelerated. And you can grab that here!. A bit of Lovecraft would also be nice.

The Setting

It's the middle of the 21st century, and magic is public knowledge now. The problem is, it's Mythos magic. In the decades since magic was re-discovered, humanity managed to seriously screw up large chunks of the world before they learned to use it properly. They only got everything back under control recently, but things are looking up - Tokyo has been rebuilt into Neo-Tokyo, people are getting used to wizards, arcanotechnology is improving everybody's lives, and some people are even talking about cleaning up some of the post-apocalyptic magic-blighted landscapes found all over the world.

Magic is heavily regulated and tightly watched by every government in the world. Potential magic-users are spotted at an early age, and usually get sent to special training programs. Occultar Academy is a whole magical school, built out of an abandoned tropical island resort by the Miskatonic Foundation. They hand-pick the most promising magical talents from other high schools, kids with other exceptional talents (as a sort of social experiment), and rich kids whose parents could bribe their way in (because Occultar needs money).

Behind the scenes, the Miskatonic Foundation does other work. The MF studies the students, trying to get a better understanding of how magic works and the best ways to learn and apply exceptional talents. Some students are here as test subjects for other experiments. The Foundation genuinely cares for these kids and keeps them out of harm's way, though. That's why the Forbidden Sections, where Miskatonic bring occult artifacts best studied (or locked up) on an easy-to-evacuate island, are buried deep beneath the school and carefully watched by Headmaster Pleasant Lovelace, Miskatonic's man in charge. As long as nobody gets in there, things should be okay...

The Premise

The players are part of a group of students who get tossed into detention by the Headmaster. Something serious has gone down in the Forbidden Sections, and the Headmaster wants a confession - but he won't give out details, fearing a panic. They have to figure out what happened and who did it by interrogating their fellow students, sneaking out to gather clues, and dealing with rising tensions as the day goes on. While that happens, though, it becomes clear that something much bigger is going on, and they might have to band together to save the school!

Character Creation

Mechanics

First, you get the usual package:

• 3-5 aspects (High Concept, Trouble, and 1-3 others)
• 3 refresh
• One approach at Good (+3), two at Fair (+2), two at Average (+1), one at Mediocre (+0).
• 1-3 stunts (first 3 are always free)

And then, you get:

• A Passion. This is an aspect representing something your character is really into or really good at. (like Idol Singer, Video Games, Battle Rapping, Skateboarding, History, Nursing, etc.) Can you tell this started as a Danganronpa game? Once per scene, when you invoke your Passion to do something, instead of the usual effects, you can flip-flop a roll, turning all -s into +s and vice-versa. Did you roll -3 on those Fate dice like a jackass? Well now it's +3! Try to pick interesting Passions, don't abuse it too much.

• An optional Magic aspect, if you need it. This describes what kind of magic you know (or a magic power you have), provided you haven't already done so in your other aspects. You can even take "not good at magic" aspects like Helpfully Incompetent or I Swore I Had It, if that fits your character better. Even the worst Occultar students can copy simple rituals out of books if they have to. How magic "works" is pretty open, but it usually leans towards rituals, symbols and payments. You can bring in some foreign bullshit magic like Shinto if you like, or just sling magic blasts at people if that's what you're after! However you do it, though, you are still a student.

• Your stress bar is renamed Hope because it's cool. If things become hopeless, you are screwed!

Fluff

With that out of the way, here's some other helpful notes:

• This is an anime-inspired game with some humour and also probably a lot of death and Lovecraftian horror. I hope you are okay with that!

• Backstories are wanted but try not to post long ones with multiple plot hooks; I probably won't have time to use them all.

• Setting fluff! If you want to add something, go for it. Worldwide disease-based conspiracy? Sure, I will take your rejected Double Cross characters. Want your character to be from a Fist of the North Star-esque blighted wasteland in some vague part of America/Asia/Iceland/whatever? Go for it! Want space elevators and a Moon colony? Sure! Actually, I am going to go ahead and say those things totally exist already, those are rad. Throw in whatever details you need. If you're unsure, we can hash something out. (Disclaimer: long conversations about fluff do not constitute guarantees of acceptance. I might totally steal your fluff anyway though.)

• Details about the Academy itself are fluid! If you want to declare a fact about it, invent an NPC for your backstory or steal one from the book, go for it.

Other Stuff

If you need me for anything I can reached via PM or via IRC at irc.synirc.net #persona.

I will leave this open until January 6 or until I decide I have way too many good apps already and close it, whichever comes first. Wow okay we are closing apps early :magical:

Finally, here's a template if you need it! (Invoke/Compel are optional: If you like, you can suggest ways the aspect could be used, but you can just leave it out and I'll sort it out.)

Ettin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This sounds super-interesting. I'm probably going to look over the relevant material over the next couple days and make a character. Hope you don't mind having a rookie on board.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

This sounds super-interesting. I'm probably going to look over the relevant material over the next couple days and make a character. Hope you don't mind having a rookie on board.

Rookies are awesome. If anyone needs Fate Accelerated help I will do what I can, or you can try the Fate megathread here.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Call me interested. Concept's probably going to have something to do with Berber music, and possibly some Tifinagh as well. Seriously this script is weird if you're unfamiliar with it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Feix Wudang Jia

High Concept: Literal Wuxia Hero In Training
It turns out that only most of those people claiming to be able to knock out people without touching them, fly in the air by swinging their legs, and run on leaves in the water were full of bullshit. In a genuine secret mountain monastery, an order of monks has shepherded the dreaded Wudang Secret through the ages. Long ago, the style severed itself from "modern distractions" by going gender equal and essentially becoming a small but thriving community of only slight inbreeding.

Recently, one of the novice monks made a wrong turn in the dark and wandered back to civilization by accident. Upon seeing the wonders of the modern era he panicked and ran back to the monastery. Unfortunately, he was followed by curious police and that's how at the time 12 year old Wudang Jia, heir to the ancient style and keeper of the Wudang Secret, was begrudgingly admitted back to global society, though with the agreed-upon insistence that the style's secret be preserved in the old fashion once her formal education was complete.

With a proud heart, an open mind, a hasty but excellent pre-high school education, and a punch that could already crack small boulders, Jia set out into the Academy.

Trouble: Never Reveal the Wudang Secret
Jia bears the heavy responsibility of keeping the secret source of the incredible Wudang Sword Style absolutely 100% no joking snitches get shot secret. The Academy scientists want to know it, other sects try to steal or beat it out of her, and worst of all, her friends keep pestering her about how she keeps her weight down (using the Light Skill to cheat on scales is not technically prohibited.) For a lot of her best moves she can't even mention the names. For her very best, she can't even use them in public. If anyone asks anything remotely close to a Wudang Secret she has to clam up. It makes for a lot of awkward conversations.

Passion: OMG TXTNG IS GR8
What happens when you take someone who has been isolated from civilization for 12 years and hand them a modern computer and a laptop?

You get a hell of a lot of inane chatter and ridiculous friend requests, that's what. To say Jia took to it like a duck to water would be an insult to both ducks and water; more like a fire to oil- lots of burns, a good bit of SCREAMING IN ALLCAPS, and a lot of property damage when someone insulted her (rather antiquated) dress sense in her selfies. But in the end, she does have a lot of friends now.

Magic: Wuxia Chi Bullshit
Basically, if you've seen it in a bad kung-fu movie, Jia knows the crappier student version of it. Her wind slashes barely make a breeze at 10 feet and her light skill only reaches "can dunk a basketball casually" heights, but it's still pretty drat impressive on an absolute scale.

Aspect: Wudang Clan Ain't Nothin to gently caress With
Jia has a touchy and contradictory temper about her family and sect. On the one hand, they're a loving if strict family and community, and would literally die for her, and they trust her with the secret of an ancient art in which she has much pride. On the other, those in the know kept the secret of there being this thing called "the outside world" secret for 12 years. So on the one hand, if you insult her family and community, she will beat the stuffing out of your rapidly cooling corpse. On the other hand, if you don't listen to her complain about them, she will make mean posts about you on tumblr.

Aspect: Queen of the Iron Age
When it comes to knowing how to do something without modern technology, Jia's your woman. Whether it's washing clothes in the pool or cooking with just some sticks and a prayer, Jia knows how. She hates it now, having become quickly accustomed to computerboxes and auto-coaches and other such conveniences, but with some cajoling she can probably be convinced to show someone a few old, old tricks.

Aspect: My Mentor Figure Hasn't Died Yet
Yeah, Sifu Wudang is still alive, still very much her father, and since being exposed to modern pop culture Jia is intensely afraid that at any moment somehow he's going to die motivationally. Her dad is mostly wondering why his daughter is hiding from him all the time; he came to the island specifically to oversee her continuing education! He lives in a shack in the woods on the island, catches fish from the ocean with his hands, and oh my god embarrasses the absolute hell out of her. Especially since he got a cell phone somehow.

Approaches
Careful: +1
Clever: +2
Flashy: +1
Forceful: +3
Quick: +2
Sneaky: +0

Stunts
The Mystery of Chessboxing: Jia's training consists of mind and body cultivation in equal measure. When she creates a Clever aspect, she gets a +3 instead of a +2 when tagging it for a Forceful action, and vice versa.
Protect Your Neck: Wudang Sword Style don't mess around. Once per session on a successful hit, Jia can spend a fate point deal an automatic Severe Consequence to something that has a head.
Fast Shadow: Wudang Sword does not do subtle. But sometimes, one must be as the shadow- moving fast to evade the light. When evading someone's attention by moving around (metaphorically or literally- this can refer to changing the topic of conversation rapidly, for example) Jia may substitute Quick for Sneaky.

Hope: OOO

Refresh: 3

K Prime fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 28, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sebastian Albert

High Concept: The Oscar-Winner Of Tomorrow
Sebastian is an ace amateur filmmaker, with several short films below his belt that have gotten film festival play. He aspires to be one of the greatest directors in the history of cinema.
Invoke: Not too phased by things going on around him. Truth IS stranger than fiction.
Compel: Sometimes gets wrapped up in his own imagination.

Trouble: Everything's Gotta Be Perfect!
Sebastian is a perfectionist to a fault, and things have to go just as he plans them, or else he gets angry and disagreeable.
Invoke: He always makes sure he does his best.
Compel: But does he have to be such a drama queen about it?

Passion: I Think I Saw This In A Movie Once
To be a filmmaker, the first thing one has to do is see a lot of movies. Sebastian is an expert in tropes and cliches used by movies and can identify them in real life.
Invoke: He'll always have a good recommendation for movie night.
Compel: REALITY IS NOT MOVIES, DAMMIT!

Magic: The Art Of Pyrotechnics
Sebastian isn't too experienced with magic, but he can create explosions that he uses to great effect in his movies.
Invoke: It's good for distracting people and making a scene.
Compel: Subtle it ain't.

Aspect: Wait, Let's Do Another Take
If something doesn't go right, he has a tendency to want to try it again to see if it turns out better, even if it's not related to filming. He tends to keep trying until things either go completely right or if he's stopped by an outside force.
Invoke: If at first you don't succeed, try try again.
Compel: Okay, you can stop now.

Aspect: Starving Artist
Sebastian is no stranger to working for hours at a time with no chance to eat, so light levels of hunger do not bother him much.
Invoke: He gets super focused on important tasks.
Compel: What's that growling on the audio? Oh, it's me.

Aspect: This'll Make Great B-Roll!
What's a filmmaker without a camera? Sebastian carries a video camera on him at most times, ready to get some prime footage.
Invoke: Did that just happen? Sure it did, I got it on tape.
Compel: Doesn't know when the time for filming stops.

Approaches
Careful: Average +1
Clever: Fair +2
Flashy: Good +3
Forceful: Fair +2
Quick: Average +1
Sneaky: Mediocre +0

Stunts

I Always Get My Shot: No matter what happens, the scenes Sebastian films always turn out perfect. Once per scene, if Sebastian spends a fate point, he can succeed at any action he would otherwise fail or tie.

A Flair For The Dramatic: Having seen countless movies, Sebastian knows how to make a scene really pop dramatically. He gains a +2 to flashy attacks when the enemy is near death.

Let's Punch This One Up A Bit: If there's too much drama all at once, the audience gets bored. It needs more action! Once per scene, Sebastian can use Flashy in place of any other approach for one roll.

"I don't know why I'm in detention. I should be able to shoot wherever I want! Whatever happend to freedom of artistic expression, dammit?!"

Sebastian has wanted to be a filmmaker ever since he was young and saw Gilbert del Gato's giant robot epic Atlantic Fault, which remains his favorite movie. He is the founder and president of the academy's cinema club. He brings a general enthusiasm towards life and his craft, and outside of filming, he's easy to get along with. When he's working on a movie, though, he's gained a reputation as a dogged perfectionist who will never rest ultil everything is exactly his way. One of the only people who can stand by him when he gets like this is is girlfriend and leading lady Ayame Read.

Tell me if there's anything I need to fix/elaborate on.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 31, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Tell me if there's anything I need to fix/elaborate on

If you can you should elaborate on your aspects a little (a sentence or two is fine) and punch up your stunts a bit so they sound more character specific! That is a good character though. :buddy:

K Prime posted:

Trouble: Never Reveal the Wudang Secret

:stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ettin posted:

If you can you should elaborate on your aspects a little (a sentence or two is fine) and punch up your stunts a bit so they sound more character specific! That is a good character though. :buddy:

Done and done.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Mira Lafitte

High Concept: Dutiful Daughter of Dagon
Look, when your dad is a workaholic, shapeshifting sea deity, you learn a thing or two about patience. Mira has seen her dad miss out on her recitals, open school nights and more birthday parties than she can bother to count. And the excuses were always the same. He always had some important people to meet, always needed to bask in the worship of his followers so he can eventually end the world in unending flood. And while Mira tried to be understanding and all, her mom seemed less willing to deal with his absences. After the messy break-up, Mira found herself half a world away, trying to start a new life away from dad in Neo-Tokyo.

Much later, Mira learned that dad really did bring about the end of the world in unending flood! Or at least, the end of North America, but the point was, she knew that her dad wasn't lying! Except in the moment of his triumph, some jerkass magicians sealed him away into some great beyond. It was awful, they placed in some cosmic prison and she had no idea where he was!

Looking to find answers, she pretty much forced herself into Occultar Academy. The school knows about Mira's Deep One heritage, though they don't quite realize she's mostly there to delve into their libraries to discover more about Dagon and those mysterious magicians. For now, she's biding her time, gaining knowledge and hoping she can find her dad's prison before something really bad happens to him. Sure, he's a distant jerk, but he's the only dad she has!

Trouble: The Innsmouth Rage
Mira works hard to act as an ocean of calm, but that's because she does not do well with extreme stress. That's the kind of stress that forces down her human side temporarily and turns her into something... scaly. With a narrow head, bulging eyes, jagged teeth and that's really as much as anyone sees before she runs away and hides in embarrassment until she turns back to normal. She normally has a handle on her condition, but in a high-stress environment such as detention, it's only a matter of time.

Passion: Undersea Encyclopedia
Not surprisingly, Mira loves the sea. She also loves to study about the sea and the billions and billions of sea life that teem beneath the ocean waters. In a way, an occult school/island resort is a dream come true for her. Most of her free time is spent either studying fish in the underwater catwalk, or exploring the surrounding waters with a rental boat. If you give her the opportunity, Mira will nerd about anything that lives underwater. Especially things she shouldn't know about.

Aspect: This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman Mira!
If there's one good thing about being part-fish, is that she can live like one if she wanted to. Not only can Mira breathe underwater unassisted, but she also can speak to sea creatures with her mind. This is neat when she needs to ask for their help, make sea friends, or make them stay still so she can document them. It's not so neat when they start to get really chatty and she needs to float around and listen because gosh, she doesn't want to be rude to her friends.

Having fish friends also makes her look like a weirdo, even in Occultar Academy.

Aspect: A Heart as Wide as the Sea
In class, Mira goes out of her way to checking up on the everyone, asking them if they did their homework, insisting if they have any problems they should talk to her, getting in the way of fights, etc. She genuinely wants to be understanding to her classmates, since they have nothing to do with sealing her father, but a lot of students see her as a busybody who keeps meddling on other people's affairs. She would make an excellent class rep, except someone already beat her to the spot.

Aspect: There's Always Cultists Behind Me!
Mira knows about the Esoteric Order of Dagon, since they're infiltrating the island right now! They use this little shop near town as a front for their lair and wish to discover the whereabouts of Dagon using the Academy's resources. Though their sort of help is more bumbling than anything helpful, she puts up with them since they seem to mean well. If only they'd give her some space every once in a while - jeez, just because her dad destroyed part of the world, she's suddenly some underground celebrity!

Approaches
Careful: +2
Clever: +3
Forceful: +1
Quick: +0
Sneaky: +2

Stunts
Water Wings: Mira's body has evolved to withstand the rigors of the sea. She can mitigate any water-based hazard, whether it involves crushing pressure, drowning, drinking hot tea without scalding her tongue, those sort of things. She also swims really well, but that goes without saying.
Hey, I Get You: Mira is a patient listener and reads people almost as well as she reads fish. If she succeeds with style while trying to discover a character's existing aspect, she can discover an additional aspect with one extra invocation or otherwise place a boost.
Looks Fishy to Me: Turning into a fishman leaves quite an impression to people. When Mira compels her Trouble during a scene, she can add +2 to a single Forceful action that involves scaring off or intimidating others.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 28, 2013

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Maynard Clayhorn

High Concept: Country-Fried Polymorph
Invoke: Give someone the Southern Gentleman treatment, know all about back home
Compel: Looks like a hick, change shapes for the hell of it
From out of the woods he emerged, eight feet tall 'n' covered in hair, a burlap sack slung o'er his shoulder. Many who witnessed him fled, while some took blurry pictures from a safe distance. Two young'ns in school uniforms rolled their eyes and shouted, "Okay Maynard, we get it." "Now hurry up before Vernon marks us tardy again." Maynard called his little character 'Sasquatch' and urged his classmates to pick up one o' them encyclopays and look 'er up.

A few years after that big ol' cataclysm happened what sprung magic back to life, Maynard saw some glowy-rear end slug thing crawling out of the recesses of space-time and thought, 'Gotdang, that's the tastiest-lookin' morsel I ever saw.' Down his gullet it went, and long story short, he's part-man, part-Thing Man Was Not Meant to Know.

He really digs the whole "look like anything you want, long as you want," but it don't mean he's very selfish. He does brag about his cool li'l power, but he knows where to draw the line 'cept when it's funny. Lots o' times he'll just play around with shapin' his hands all different under his desk, other times he'll just make hisself look better, 'bsorb all that dirt he gets on him runnin' 'round the Quad. Either way, when it's time to make a good impression, you jus' know he'll deliver.

Trouble: Don' Take Kindly T' City Folk
Invoke: Opt out of a technobabble sales pitch
Compel: The hell's a Twitter?
What with their talky-phones, all pokin' at each other with their web-mice and tumble-likes. Maynard is a simple pen-and-paper kinda guy, even if society is shoving his mentality out the door. Magic, seeming to come from nature 'n' all, he don't mind as much as that newfangled science and philosophy what spits in the face o' humanity.

Passion: Doin' Up Sculptures An' Whatnot
Invoke: Build something out of a malleable material, find origins of an artifact
Compel: Ramble on about sculpting and Pap
His pap had a knack for wood carving when he could still lift the chainsaw. Once the arthritis kicked into full gear Maynard took the drawstring and set out creating a number of fine log-based visions. Then he was introduced to clay, shaping things with what's already there instead of doin' away with excess. He ain't picked up cutting tools since. The whole shapeshiftin' thing helps with that too. Anywho, most o' his classes deal with what crafts what with what, lookin' at Old One artifacts as brief as he can 'fore he goes nuts. At least one class involves actually makin' pottery an' whosits with differ'nt materials.

Magic: Good Reason Why I's Called Clayhorn, Geddit?
Invoke: Fit a finger through a keyhole, look like someone else
Compel: Spin yarns 'bout that time he blah blah blah
Maynard can shape hisself any which way he can think of, be it growing an extra limb, changing his face around, or goin' so far as to be a like-sized animal nobody ever saw 'fore. As long as it's small and light enough to work with what's in his reserve tank (fat, pre-digested food, peripheral organs, left limbs), he can form it up for ya.

Aspect: Gotta Keep My Fig're All Shapely-Like
Invoke: Try out a questionable concoction
Compel: Taste a nice big globe, spit crumbs everywhere when he talks
When Maynard's feeling tapped out, he'll resort to any means of getting fueled back up. Probably not other students, but homework? You bet yer rear end he'll eat it. Matter is matter, no matter how it tastes. At least he brought a bag o' tater chips with him to detention, lest the room lose one of its "You Are Here" galaxy posters.

Aspect: Man O' The Land
Invoke: Track an animal, make shelter out in the cold
Compel: Smell like an animal, wander too far
The Baskerville Woods is dangerous, they say. You'll get caught by an unspeakable horror, they say. Maynard says the trees make good perches and the wildlife makes good eatin'. All that so-called organic food in the lunch line can't compare to a feisty hare freshly seasoned by the green earth hisself. There's good reason why his window's open most nights.

Aspect: We's All 'Round These Parts
Invoke: Hey, it's Cousin Jerome!
Compel: Ah hell, there's Uncle Yog-Sothoth...
Maynard's consumption of the transmogrifying slug may have been a physical weddin' of two unlike critters, but it still ain' the toughest weddin' he's sat through. He swears on his life he's got four third cousins on campus, whether they know it or not. Those that do know may not be too keen on Maynard, especially those "old folk" that remember the li'l spawn he done swallowed up.

Approaches
Careful: Mediocre (0)
Clever: Fair (+2)
Forceful: Fair (+2)
Quick: Average (+1)
Sneaky: Average (+1)

Stunts
Learnt It From Pap: Bein' a survivalist allows Maynard to assemble bits 'n' pieces into somethin' uniquely fitting what he needs at the moment. Weapons, traps, decoys... Anythin' he can spring into his tiny li'l' head. +1 to Create and Advantage or Attack with Country when he has access to various biddlybobs 'n' breathin' room to build it.
Heart o' Gilt Steel: When yer body's as mutable as Maynard's, it ain' hard to toughen up 'n' take some guff, 'specially fer a friend. Once per combat, Maynard can forfeit his action to defend against an attack directed at someone else, receiving +1 to defend the selected roll and whichever attacks are already directed at him. Maynard cannot use this when a defense has already been rolled for the specified attack.
Swe'r I Saw Ya'fore: Maynard's seen 'is family tree half a dozen times now, long enough for him to know when someone's got the same blood. Once per scene, he can declare an NPC a long-lost relative. If they blindly accept this idea, they become a Confirmed Cousin and Maynard is given permission to invoke the aspect once for free.

Let me know if something needs fixing.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 28, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Interest check!

Also, drat ipad just lost a nearly-finished character because I tabbed away...
Anyway, incoming character is a mostly-sealed evil tome that came to life, in a form suiting it's new mental age. Expect Bibliomancy, and lines like "If anyone needs me, I'll be in Harry Potter."

(Work in progress, frequent safety-saves. This time...)

Libby DeMonica

High Concept: Dark Tome come to life and to school
The Libris Demonica was passed from witch to warlock for generations, each one adding their own work, refining spells and summoning circles, and over time sheer proximity to so many dark powers gave the book a will of it's own.
Then, the MF got hold of it, and placed several powerful seals, hoping to lock away it's evil. They succeeded... Possibly. The book's mind didn't recall any of it's sealed pages, though still had some magical power left. Enough to assume a form more befitting it's new mental age, and a desire to learn more.
The MF are letting 'Libby' attend classes, and keeping a close eye on her. After all, if she can renounce evil, the sealed information could be quite a force for good, but trying to force a choice on her might cause her to make the wrong one.
Invoke: Dealing with dark forces or information on such, general book-related activities
Compel: Come under attention from a teacher or prefect, turn back into a book when tired or out of magic

Trouble: Indexed Mind
In many ways, Libby is still a book. She spends most nights as one, and feels most comfortable in libraries. Everything she knows is contained in her pages, as well. If someone were to remove or alter those pages, Libby's memories would be removed or altered as well. In addition, while her sealed pages have a lengthy study on summoning and binding, none of them bothered discussing things like Earth nations, or cars, for example. Libby can be surprisingly ignorant on basic subjects.
Invoke: Quickly recall knowledge, be exposited to
Compel: Fail to know basic information, have memories altered or removed

Passion: Books!
Libby is very fond of books, and is rarely seen without a few. She will read anything she can, and is very protective of books, putting them on the same level of importance as people. An easy was to get on her bad side is to damage a book, even if it's just throwing away a magazine.
Invoke: Using, reading, searching for, organising etc... Books.
Compel: Protect books, or avoid taking action that might damage them

Magic: Bibliomancy
Libby's natural talents lie here. If it's related to books, she might be able to magic it. As well as minor effects like repairing or copying books, Libby has two big tricks. The first is to enter a book and experience the events or information contained within first-hand. The second is to absorb a book into herself, and instantly know all that it does, though she forgets it again when the book leaves. This applies not just to books, but to any written information, such as scrolls, magazines, stone tablets, billboards and ebooks, though the latter feels weird.
Invoke: Enter a book to examine it in detail, absorb a book to quickly access it's information, minor book-based magic
Compel: Shed books or pages when injured or startled

Aspect: Hungry for knowledge
Libby is always interested in filling her pages (Which she never seems to run out of), and pays attention in class. That said, she doesn't always pay attention to the actual subject, forgetting she's absorbed the textbook and won't have it for the exam, and instead studies the latest trends, or social relationships, or goings-on outside...
Invoke: Follow-through on an attempt to discover something, observe an unusual situation
Compel: Be distracted by something, kill the proverbial cat

Aspect: Sealed Evil, AKA Tra La La Ia Ia Ftangh'n
Libby's evil pages are sealed by many powerful wards, but every so often something slips through. A hummed ritual incantation here, an ancient name for a dead god used as a swear word... Even worse for her are when the bindings strengthen in response to something, which can leave Libby weakened or incapacitated.
Invoke: Invoke minor dark magic, blame misdeeds on accidents
Compel: Accidentally curse things, be blamed for unrelated incidents, strengthen bindings

Aspect: Third-Circle First-Edition
Libby has aspects of book and demon, which can be both blessings and curses to trying to go about life. On the one hand, tape and glue is cheaper than sticking-plasters and stitches if she gets injured, and the wings are a big help getting to the top shelves. On the other hand, there are a lot of wards in a place like Occular Academy, and both fire and water are bad for her pages.
Invoke: Fly short distances, first-aid book repair
Compel: Not fond of fire, water, lines of salt, holy water or doors that close too fast. (It's the tail.)

Approaches
Careful: 2
Clever: 3
Flashy: 1
Forceful: 0
Quick: 1
Sneaky: 2

Stunts
Get lost in a good book: Libby can transform herself into a book, or enter any book (or magazine, scroll, poster etc...) freely. If she enters a book, it always has a distinctive spade-tail ribbon bookmark. While Libby can freely enter a book, to leave she must spend a fate point. In book form, she has limited mobility and can talk, but little else.

Devour knowledge: Thanks to her ability to rapidly assimilate information, Libby gets +2 on any Clever approach she has a relevant book for

Elfface fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 28, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Juliana Moore
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CQJLo_CpaJnN_IR5Ga5zI483E8rjoN0mqG6_yAOxphQ/edit?usp=sharing
I will finish this later after I'm done with some errands I have to do.
EDIT:
Count me out. With family trouble I'm really not in the mood to finish my character sheet.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 31, 2013

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Louie LeBlanc

High Concept: Roux-garou
Okay, so maybe the proper term is loup-garou, but most people from outside Acadiana are quick to inform Louie that his French is completely unintelligible. Louie is a swamp werewolf, raised by a kindly old Opelousas couple who found him curled up inside their pantry after he broke in for food. They might have been cultists at one point, but hey, that's all in the past. The Cajun lifestyle has made him considerably more easy-going and laid-back than most of his other brethren, meaning the claws and big teeth don't come out much anymore.

Trouble: Yer a Monster, Louie
Just because his foster parents were crazy enough to take a baby horror into their household doesn't mean that most people are okay with the idea of going to school with the same kind of creature that killed their parents in a dark alleyway after an opera. While cute ears and pitiful puppy-dog eyes are enough to disarm the majority of people, Louie has gotten into more than his fair share of fights throughout his school days thanks to his race and his big mouth.

Passion: Master Baker
The only thing that Louie finds tastier than sweet, forbidden human flesh is the unadulterated divinity that is baked goods. Luckily, both of his foster parents just happened to belong to the French bakers guild, and he was put to work in their bakery as soon as he was civilized enough not to attack the customers. His obsession with perfecting his recipes lead him to become the youngest person to ever test into the guild, and he rapidly rose to the rank of master well before he got into high school.

Magic: Delicious, Delicious Alchemy
Realizing that turning into a wolf wasn't a very marketable skill, Louie directed his magical talents towards making his recipes transcend mortal taste through the use of occult ritual. Sure he can make your usual fare of fiery grenades and healing potions, but his original intent was to dazzle competition judges with cyclopean, non-euclidean wedding cakes that were a color from out of space and tasted like forever.

Aspect: I Sell Potions and Potion Accessories
Louie earns most of his spending money by hawking off various alchemical concoctions. While he can make a consumable for just about anything, chocolate healing croissants are probably his most popular item. The fact that most of his classmates are always trying to negotiate prices means that he's quite good at bartering. He has an eye for identifying strange reagents and can easily tell when a talsimonger is trying to rip him off.

Aspect: Doggone Crazy
Because Louie isn't really human, he tends to have an easy time communicating with animals. As a matter of fact, he can speak quite clearly to dogs, though his Acadian wolf accent can occasionally make things a little muddled. Promises of food go a long ways in convincing friendly forest denizens to do things for him, such as tailing someone or telling him what they've seen.

Aspect: Swiper, No Swiping!
When you're related to a dog, you're good at stealing food. When you work in a busy bakery with few walls, you have to get better at stealing food. Years of practice at not getting caught has left Louie with quick hands and an inadvertent penchant for magic tricks. He tends to get blamed for missing items pretty quickly, however.

Approaches:
Flashy: +2
Forceful: +0
Quick: +3
Sneaky: +1

Stunts:

Let Them Eat Cake: Louie always has snacks. Some are for him, some are for treats. +2 to Flashily creating advantages based on bribery.

Panacea Swag Bag: A salesman needs to have samples on hand. Once per scene, Louie can negate a status effect consequence on a nearby ally.

POCKET SPICE: A good cook is always prepared, and Tony Chachere's burns like hell when it gets in your eyes. Once per scene, when someone creates an advantage, Louie can spend a fate point to interrupt and Quickly create his own.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 28, 2013

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
(Old character concept here.)

“Lunar Princess Laura Lovecraft”

High Concept: Burnt-Out Magical Girl
Being a Magical Girl isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. Okay, when you start out, getting a pretty dress and fancy wand and going out to fight evil every night is actually a lot of fun for a kid. You get to be all pink and sparkly and save that one boy you kinda sorta like, and that’s great. But after a while, it just gets kinda tiresome doesn’t it? Staying up late getting beat up, not getting thanked for it, and doing the same thing again tomorrow. And for what?

Laura Bailey’s career as a Magical Girl started when she was in the fifth grade, studying at an international school in suburban Tokyo. At first it was wonderful, but the more she did it the more she grew tired of it. It didn’t help when her secret identity as “Lunar Princess Laura Lovecraft” got exposed during her second year of middle school and complicated her social life exponentially. She was even forced to transfer to a “special” school for magic-users. Eventually she declared that she was “simply done” with it all and left all that bullshit for someone else to take care of.

Now she has transferred to Occultar Academy, away from all of that.

Invoke: Look pretty, fight evil
Compel: Deal with old enemies or friends again

Magic: Sparkly Moon Magic With A Dark Secret
Laura’s magic power is stored in a Lunar Pendant which she always keeps with her. By invoking the power of the pendant, she can transform into a Magical Girl or transform the pendant into a magical staff. With either of these she can wield the power of concentrated moonlight, ranging from pretty sparkles to powerful lasers.

But little does Laura realize, the adorable animal that granted her powers years ago was more than it seemed. It was, in fact, an envoy of a truly dark and terrifying entity whose power now flows in her veins. Whatever its plans are, this will surely come back to haunt Laura sometime in the future.

Invoke: Shoot lunar lasers, summon sparkles
Compel: Fall prey to dark power, lose the Lunar Pendant

Passion: Juvenile Delinquency
Tired of being a goody-two-shoes, Laura has recently devoted herself to becoming just the opposite. In just a short time, she has become a queen of juvenile delinquency. She proudly smokes at school, cheats on tests, picks fights, breaks things, tells teachers to shove it, and so on. Her talent and propensity for these things has earned her a prime spot on the poo poo-lists of many school authorities.

Invoke: Cheat, break the rules, disobey authority
Compel: Get bad attention from teachers, underperform in school

Trouble: I Am Tired of Being A Hero...
What’s the point of being a magical hero? Working hard all night to fight evil and save lives just makes you wake up bruised and exhausted the next day. It’s a load of bullshit. Sure, people sometimes thank you, but that lasts only until the next crisis.

When you’re a hero, people demand a lot of sacrifices to you and give you almost nothing in return. It’s a huge load of bullshit. And Laura is simply fed up with that bullshit. She no longer cares about saving the day, or sticking her neck out to protect others. Right now, she only feels like looking out for herself. Other people simply don’t matter to her anymore.

Invoke: Protect myself, do what’s best for me
Compel: Ignore others in need

Aspect: ...But I Hate To See Bad Deeds Go Unpunished
It’s hard to suppress one’s sense of justice entirely, however. Laura might have told herself that there’s no reason to care about anybody except herself, it still infuriates her to see bad things happen to good people, or good things happening to bad people. Beneath the jaded surface, there still is the same hero’s heart which lead her to become a Magical Girl in the first place.

These days it is difficult to set off her sense of justice, but when it does it erupts violently. Playing the hero might be a load of bullshit, but sometimes it has to be done.

Invoke: Get angry, do what’s right, give people comeuppance
Compel: Force a moral crisis, make her act out at a bad time, get too angry

Aspect: Act First, Think Later
Laura is not the type of person to take a slow, methodical approach to anything. While others are devising plans and considering consequences, she is already leaping in and doing simply what feels right. Sometimes it works out, and she solves problems while other people hesitate. Sometimes it doesn't, and it turns out that pushing that big red button was a mistake after all.

Invoke: Be quick, take initiative
Compel: Be dumb, bring unintended consequences

Aspect: How The Hell Did I Get Secret Admirers?
Being a Magical Girl gives you a special kind of charisma. It’s a lot like being an idol, really. For Laura this manifests itself in the swarm of secret admirers that seem to always pop up in her life. It seems to be an almost everyday occurrence that a new love letter pops up in her locker. Not that she cares.

Invoke: Utilize charisma, get help from a secret admirer
Compel: Get unwanted attention

Approaches
Careful: +0
Clever: +1
Flashy: +2
Forceful: +3

Stunts
Transformation Sequence: Because of the fascinating and dazzling magic of Magical Girl transformation sequences, Laura gets a +2 to flashily create an advantage while transforming from her mundane form to Magical Girl form.

I’ve Been Through Worse: Because she’s received more bruises than she can count and handles it well, Laura gets a +2 to forcefully defend a physical hit by simply enduring it.

Like A Wrecking Ball: Because of her magical power, her fondness for vandalism, and disregard for consequences, Laura gets a +2 to forcefully create an advantage by breaking something.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 31, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I'm doing things with your portraits :buddy:

Dynamics
Sep 8, 2006

I'm da man!

Aren never really stood out while he was growing up in the suburbs of neo-Tokyo, and while all his friends and family were moving on to greater things like Space-University he found himself still at home working at the local computer repair shop.It was mostly an accident, but after troubleshooting a customer’s laptop that couldn’t connect to the internet Aren typed in a random node to connect to and found himself in an extremely bizarre part of the Dark Net - full of strange strings of random symbols and half-conversations with nobody.

Curiosity got the best of him, so he began trying to reach out to these people out in the node without much success. As a bit of a joke, he setup a simple message board so he could at least read and sort through the bizarre ramblings of internet strangers.

The next day he found his website had attracted millions of anonymous visitors who posted things ranging from reviews of recent anime, death threats to all of humanity, and even tidbits of newfound magical lore. Stranger still, Aren didn’t have admin access anymore, he simply was the “Webmaster” while a user called [Admin] oversaw things, though he/she/it never actually posts.

It was so strange, but Aren now had a way to bullshit through learning magic by searching through his message board and supplementing with YouTube. He got into the academy by the skin of his teeth, but he’s determined to finally make something of himself.

High Concept: Webmaster of Old-chan
Aren is the webmaster of “Old-chan”, a place where old gods (and new) come to post anonymously – for better or worse for mankind.

Trouble: Hey, I could probably do that too…
In an Academy where magical prodigies are the norm, Aren thinks using YouTube or flat out cheating is enough to figure things out and get through, but his first attempts usually come out quite a bit wrong.

Passion: I'd rather cheat than be a loser!
Let's face it, Aren hasn't been able to impress anyone with anything but his skills with electronic hardware. Be it doing written exams, performing wizardy, or doing something as simple as playing Neo-Munchkin - Aren has to cheat so people don't view him as some sort of absolute loser. The good news is he's gotten really good at it. "Cheat sheets? Writing things down on your fingers? Don't make me laugh. Here, check out this multi-ink pen - that's blood, don't worry about it. Here's how it works..."

When he learned about magic and how it basically allows you to cheat against reality, he couldn't fill out his application to the Academy fast enough. Maybe he'd finally be number one in something.

Magic: Mystic Wifi
The only magic that Aren has really practiced was the very first type he learned on his message board. It allows him to use a piece of paper and his blood to access the web. The blood will move about the sheet to form the letters/video on the site he’s trying to read, and it has helped him cheat through most of the tough exams so far.

Aspect: The Curveball
Ever wonder why the class average on that last exam was so low, despite it being super easy? Aren was probably part of the reason. He barely passes his exams (even while cheating), and he’s known for helping a curve along if a professor has such a policy. Prefects hate him, while slackers and average kids probably appreciate it.

Aspect: JV Superstar
So maybe he isn’t the most athletically talented person at the academy, but Aren does like playing sports. He’s involved in a few clubs, and although he’s a bit salty about his non-Ace status in any of them he’s pretty well known as a fierce competitor.

Aspect: Fixes the family computer at Christmas… and likes it!
Aren’s only real talent lies in the fact that he’s great with electronics, both new and old. If something’s acting up on your PC, cellphone, or smart TV, he can probably troubleshoot it.

Approaches
Careful: + 1
Clever: + 2
Flashy: + 0
Forceful: + 1
Quick: + 2
Sneaky: +3

Stunts
Make New Post : The only time Aren actually posts on his boards is when he wants to learn something. Chances are he’ll mostly get random bullshit responses or insults, but even then there’s sometimes some nuggets of knowledge to help him towards his answer.

Don’t worry, I watched a YouTube series on this…: When trying to cast a spell that he hasn’t attempted before (Most of them), Aren can spend a fate point to automatically succeed. May also result in a mild consequence.

Dynamics fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 31, 2013

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ettin posted:

So I'm doing things with your portraits :buddy:

Yaaaay! I want to be Toad! Wait, hold on...

Alt Toad joke: Oh no! Invaders from Yuggoth!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Whoa whoa interest piqued. Will edit something in tonight when I get some time.

e: HEY YOU LIKE ANIME? YOU LIKE ANIME? YOU'LL GET ANIME. HERE'S AN EXAMPLE.
Let me know if I did anything wrong, I'm a FATE newbie. Work in progress!

Daigo Minami, Super High School Level Evil Overlord

High Concept: Lawful Evil
As the self-styled Student Evil Overlord of Occultar Academy, Daigo could be doing worse. His minions number at least a third of the student body, teachers generally let him do as he will, and he gets kind of a lot of respect even from upperclassmen. Okay, so his grades in everything other than magic are average at best, and he's not much of an athlete at all, but who cares when you can get people to do all that troublesome stuff for you? Daigo comes from a long line of iron-fisted rulers, and nobody gets in his way when he parades down the hallway. There are some malcontents, as there always are, but he is well prepared not to let their lies and trickery reach his ears. It's good to be king.

There's only one problem.
Invoke: Exercise his power, bend the rules, command respect.
Compel: Rivals make trouble, teachers get sick of his poo poo, he must defend his domain.

Trouble: ...Lawful Good
Well, you see, Daigo is the safety administrator for the student council, approximately equal in power to the VP and surpassed only by the President, and the supreme goody-two-shoes of the entire school. As a genuinely sunny, kindhearted human being with a sort of easy, natural charisma, people tend to like him within minutes of meeting him. He's a stickler for the school rules, vigilantly patrols for "insubordination," and is generally considered a role model for the rest of the students by most of the faculty and staff. He treats his "underlings" like family to the point of coddling them at times, and always puts others first. He's unpopular with rebellious types and people who suspect he's up to something, but in general, rather than being reviled and feared, he's actually pretty widely liked; enough so that everyone just goes along with his bizarre "evil overlord" schtick, considering it "just a Daigo thing." As long as they frame it as negotiating the tenets of his rule, he makes a phenomenal student body leader, so that's just what people do. Everyone has some weird idiosyncracies, right? Daigo's are just so odd he loses all respect hard enough to come out the other side.

Nobody's gotten the nerve to tell him that dressing in a lot of black, being melodramatic, and busting out the occasional villainous laugh doesn't actually make you ideologically evil. People figure he wouldn't react well to the news.

(He is 100% oblivious to Student Council VP Fong Ho's constant plans to dethrone and/or kill him.)
Invoke: Have people overlook his weirdness, utilize his spotless reputation, cheer someone up or solve a problem by being absurdly nice to it.
Compel: Get called out, have trouble handling the politics of his position, not be able to reconcile his image with his actions.

Passion: Only You Can Prevent Eldritch Fires!
Daigo's kind of a safety nut. He singlehandedly spearheaded the school-wide "USE A RUNE WHEN YOU ATTUNE" poster campaign attempting to get more students to use protective runes and avoid dangerous spell backlash, and his lobbying was a factor behind some of the school's recent budget allocations to more fireproof classrooms. (Asbestos insulation really just doesn't cut it when you have students who can throw fireballs and pull horror-beasts made of pure elemental fire from the aether.) Nobody else on the student council can match his ridiculous, almost fanatical enthusiasm for keeping "his domain" safe. ("A dead minion isn't much of a minion at all," in his words.) He's usually able to at least keep it in check, but on a bad day it has lead to incidents like how he screamed at some poor freshman for not wearing covered shoes in the alchemy lab. Truly, a kingdom that can be feared by his enemies is a safe and secure kingdom.
Invoke: Know how to avoid harm, be extremely familiar with the school's nooks and crannies, have a safety precaution on hand JUST IN CASE.
Compel: Get a little too intense about safety, have trouble taking an unsafe risk, be an insufferable nag.

Magic: Tendrils of Unfathomable Blackness
Fitting of his image of himself, Daigo's magic involves the control of darkness. Don't think too hard about how darkness is just the absence of light, this is anime and he can control darkness if he wants to. Ironically, as obsessed as he is with safe magical practices, his magic is generally quite unsafe for those around him, and a good 90% of his repertoire is destructive, from ravening black claws to bullet-like shards of crystalized darkness. His magic is inflexible, but its destructive power is actually quite high, for a student. For this reason, he doesn't employ it much outside of a classroom setting, and when he does he takes every single safety precaution he can; it is only the most amateurish and unworthy of overlords who allows his power to harm his own. He can apply his power to subtler, less combat-focused spells like clouds of harmless dark or defensive walls, but they take much more effort on his part and are much harder for him to control and manifest, and "can" does not necessarily mean "can without weird and unforeseen consequences."
Invoke: Make something go away in a very painful fashion, make a big show of having powerful magic, actually do something subtle for once.
Compel: Subtlety doesn't work out too well, put people in danger with the collateral damage, get the attention of something unpleasant with his creepy powers.

Aspect: Strike A Pose
Sometimes people are able to force Daigo to wear his school uniform. That it's only "sometimes" says a lot in and of itself. He is firmly of the belief that an overlord must stand out from the crowd at all times, and seems to come up with an increasingly elaborate array of bizarre costumes as each year goes on, with all sorts of blood-red crystals and steel gauntlets and deep black fabric and bangles and things of that ilk. Flamboyant and entertaining at his best and vain and image-obsessed at his worst, Daigo is always a spectacle, which is part of what turns him from a simple weirdo to either liked or despised, depending on how tolerable people find his quirks. Expect him to strike a villainous, intimidating pose in front of every mirror, and always find the time to adjust his hair and add another asymmetrical metal plate to his ensemble.
Invoke: Have the right costume for the job, pull off an intimidating or impressive display, be well-groomed and/or attractive.
Compel: Obsess too much about his image, go too far and look laughable, never not stand out.

Aspect: Um, What Was That?
As you may expect from someone fully convinced that he is an evil overlord when he is actually one of the nicer, gentler people at Occultar, Daigo...isn't the brightest crayon in the box. He oozes affability and charisma from every pore and has a not inconsiderable innate magical talent, but when it comes to history, literature, mathematics, or often even common sense, he can fall a little behind. He tries, bless his heart, but he is simply not suited for academia in the slightest, and stays afloat by way of keeping his average up with practical magic classes. Also burning his report card before it reaches his excellence-expecting parents. He is sometimes the benefactor of what some would call "idiot's luck," however.
Invoke: Stumble into something accidentally, be experienced using his other strengths to make up for lack of book-learnin', come up with an unusual solution from his weird brain.
Compel: Be terribad at research, have someone know he's not the sharpest and take advantage of it, not know something that probably should be common knowledge.

Aspect: You There! Yes, You! Get Me A Coffee!
People listen to Daigo. If you asked them why they listen to some freakshow who goes to high school in greaves and gauntlets they probably won't be able to give you much of an answer, but it's hard to have an out-and-out bad relationship with Daigo, and something about him makes it easy to just head out and be back with Starbucks before you realize what you're even doing. Nobody questions it, given that the student council has more student support than it has in the last twenty years, but there's something weird about how people just naturally fall in under his leadership. Some people resent this.
Invoke: Have others cover for his weaknesses, leverage his popularity, use persuasion that borders on supernatural.
Compel: Trouble within the ranks, be horrible at subtlety on account of never needing it himself, be bossier than is really necessary.

Approaches
Clever: +0
Flashy: +3
Forceful: +2
Quick: +1

Stunts
Make Way, Peons!: It's really kind of curious how popular Daigo is. When he encounters someone for the first time, he can spend a fate point to already have a positive relationship with them when it makes sense to do so, creating an advantage.
USE A RUNE WHEN YOU ATTUNE: Once per scene, Daigo can reveal that his obsessive safety precautions have negated the consequence of one of his or his classmates' failed or backfired spells.
Free stunt slot for later use

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 31, 2013

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Aubrey Murphy

High Concept: Delta Greenhorn
Aubrey Murphy is just a regular high school student focused on her classes, enjoying time with her friends, and her after school club activities - hunting down eldritch horrors from beyond time and space. Aubrey's parents happen to work for a shadowy rogue government department that has some experience with these things and a junior auxiliary wing, so she has the background to deal with it. Even if she doesn't particularly care for all this occult nonsense herself. Those same parents happen to be Occultar Academy graduates themselves, so there really wasn't any question about which school Aubrey would be attending.

Trouble: Badass But Normal
Facing off with Lovecraftian monsters and occult dangers and weirdos doesn't phase Aubrey. On the other hand, she doesn't really understand all of the magical stuff very well, and in the end she is just a mundane mortal.
Invoke: Face down terrible monsters without flinching, figure out mundane solutions to supernatural problems, interact with normal people normally
Compel: Get blindsided by supernatural things,

Passion: John Woo is My Spirit Animal
Aubrey doesn't like to admit it, but she really, really likes action movies. She likes to put on a front of being a very serious tactician and generally mature person, but she has an encyclopedic knowledge of the works of Chow Yun Fat and Arnold.
Invoke: Pull off some dumb action movie stunt, know all about action movies
Compel: Get talked into trying some dumb action movie stunt, waste time with action movies, be embarrassed about liking action movies

Aspect: Calm, Cool, and (Mostly) Collected
Aubrey is a straight forward and studious, a bit prone to snark and with a dry wit. She is still a high schooler so there are limits, though.
Invoke: Keep her cool during stressful situations, be taken seriously, put up with her classmate's weirdness, play the straight woman
Compel: Really go ballistic when she does lose her temper, miss the joke, laugh at dumb jokes

Aspect: Miss Class Rep
Aubrey doesn't remember running for the class rep position, but she ended up with it anyways, apparently due to some law of cosmic inevitability. It's a good fit, since she's a good student and something of a teacher's pet, but sometimes it means she gets stuck with responsibility.
Invoke: Be a good student, deal with teachers and other authority figures, get respect from other students
Compel: Get in trouble due to other student's weirdness because she's the responsible one, have to deal with class rep responsibilities

Aspect: Legacy Kid
There's really no question that Aubrey could have gotten in on her own academic merit, but her acceptance to Occultar Academy owes a lot to her parents being alumni, and also to their being part of an organization that the Miskatonic Foundation would really rather not have annoyed with them. And, of course, there's the dorm hall named after great-grandpa. And the numerous teachers with tales of her when her parents attended. Aubrey would really prefer just to be a regular student. Well, as regular as an Occultar student gets.
Invoke: Know things about Occultar Academy's history, have connections with staff and teachers from through family, be able to get official backup from the school sometimes
Compel: Have to deal with dumb things festering from when her parents were students, get bothered by the Administration on behalf of getting her parents to do something

Approaches
Careful: +3
Flashy: +0
Forceful: +2

Stunts
Designated Markswoman: When you use a firearm to to create an advantage, a tie counts as a success, a regular success counts as a success with style, and a success with style generates three free invocations.
Requisition: Because you can call in favors and get access to military/government grade equipment on short notice, once per scene you can spend a fate point to make a special Careful roll. For each shift you make on this roll you create a Requisition Order boost. Any character may invoke a Requisition Order, but only one per character per round. This stunt cannot be used again until all Requisition Order boosts have been invoked. Requisition Orders can be invoked to get access to special equipment or services.
SOP: When you have at least a few moments to prepare, you can use Careful in place of Quick to determine initiative.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 31, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hmm...Let me leave these here while I think of the rest of the required things.

Thomas "Tom" Iranon D'Ulthar

/

High Concept: The Catboy of Ulthar
Ever since that fateful day in Ulthar when it was declared that no man can kill a cat, the Dreamlands town has been a haven for the fuzzy felines. Even after the laws of Ulthar were abandoned and the humans packed up and left, cats still prowl the darkened cobblestone streets and overgrown fields, hunting for mice and landed sparrows.

Every so often one of these cats gets it into his furry head that there's much more to the world than the old town of Ulthar, and that perhaps he should go and see it with his own slit-pupiled eyes. One particular cat waved goodbye to the rest of the pusses, and stalked off after the full moon. He wandered up and down the Dreamlands, poking his whiskers through the ruins of Sarnath; meeting the peoples of the land of Mnar and the cities of Teloth, Dylath-Leen and Celephaïs; even sneaking on a galley to Oriab and coming back alive. As the cat wandered, the strangest thing happened to him--he began to lose the features of the cats he had left and take those of the humans he wandered through, around, and with. Before long he almost looked like a man, except for his still distinctly feline ears and tail, and a rather cat-like twinge in his eyes.

Now not fully human but not quite a cat anymore, the newly self-christened Thomas Iranon D'Ulthar--a name he'd heard the humans call their own pet cats, the name of another wanderer he'd heard about, and the place he was from--continued his cheerful travels through the Dreamlands, seeing great sights and meeting great people. At least until he fell through a hastily opened portal between the Dreamlands and Occultar Academy, which most certainly opened up under his feet and which he most certainly did not trip into!
Invoke: Cat magic, remember the secrets of the Dreamlands
Compel: Be distracted by fish and string, not know stuff about Earth

Trouble: Red Eye Commuter
Ever since he's been forced out of the Dreamlands, Thomas has made as much time as possible to return there in the usual human way--that is, by sleeping. He knows it's temporary and he'll be back to Occultar when he wakes up, but he can't magic his way to the moon in the waking world at the moment, so it'll have to do. Unfortunately for everybody else, he tries his level best to do this at every hour of the day--not just at night, but during classes, after lunch, when he's helping others.... Usually he can sleepwalk and sleeptalk enough to BS other people, but not always.
Invoke: Find simple but overlooked solutions (to get it done faster so he can sleep faster)
Compel: Can't it wait? It's warm and I want to sleep...

Passion: Samba de Guitar!Heart of a Hunter
It's not really a guitar, more of a culturally specific strummed instrument native to the Dreamlands, but everybody calls it a guitar and it's close enough. Tom picked it up some time after he got opposable thumbs, and carried it with him for the rest of his journeys. He loves nothing more than to sit in the sun on warm days, strumming the strings and making music, especially lullabies and chants. Sometimes he makes a full song, and it's pretty cool! Sometimes it's just tuneless plucking and hemming, and it drives other students nuts.
Tom's a cat! Time to act like it! Time to hunt and stalk and kill as all cats know from birth!
Invoke: Some music soothes savage cats and other such eldritch beasties Chase down fleeing prey, attack to kill or eat
Compel: Some music pisses off humans, especially with the different earsJump into a situation half-cocked, pounce at noises unintentionally

Magic: We are All Made of Stars
Ask anybody who owns a cat on Earth (especially after the semi-apocalypses of the last few decades) and they'll tell you: cats are magic. And cats from the Dreamlands are even more so. Tom never picked up a book before a month or so ago--actually he never even learned to read until a couple months ago. His magic is in his blood, intuitive, pure, straight outta Ulthar, baby. Granted, at the moment, it's mostly effective with sleeping, willing subjects at night, and the way stuff works on Earth has a tendency to make things misfire on occasion, but he can still walk through dreams and give messages to others as they sleep.
Invoke: Remote onieropathy or onieroscopy; smug cattiness at being inherently magic
Compel: Wait, wrong dream!; wait, magic doesn't work like that here?

Aspect: My Human, Erika Zann
Meet the lady who summoned Tom over from the Dreamlands with an errant cello scratch! The music professor at Occultar Academy, she was demonstrating the magical powers of music to her class when she transposed a standard mood-lifting spell into one that split a hole in the dimensions, spitting Tom out on stage before sealing itself up. She's really apologetic about the whole thing, and got him a student slot at the prestigious academy as compensation, but she just can't figure out how to send him back on any sort of permanent basis. Also the spell she accidentally played was traditionally used for summoning daemonic-type guides and servants, so Tom can't think of harming her without getting a splitting headache. Still, it's nice having a friend in the faculty on your side.
Invoke: Arcane knowledge and staff connections
Compel: Putting her in danger, people who don't like Prof. Zann don't like Tom either

Aspect: Tails Do Nyat Work That Way!
One of the weirdest encounters Tom had when he first started attending classes and stuff was having his tail pulled while he was busy getting lunch! Apparently the girl who did it was one of a club, and a fan of a particular art style involving otherwise normal humans with cat ears and tails...nekomata, nekomimi, something like that? She thought it was some sort of weird costume thing, because (she said) Tom looked just like one of those creatures in her art book. It took a lot of hurried explanation and hissing to get her to understand that he was a Dreamlands cat, not some "nekoboy" anime thing...although maybe looking like one of them can have its perks, if he plays it right?
Invoke: I'll let you scratch my ears if you do me a favor...
Compel: Stalked by the freaking anime club, of all things!

Aspect: Stray Cat Strut
Just because Tom isn't in the Dreamlands anymore doesn't mean his wanderings have come to an end. His nose may not have whiskers attached anymore, but that won't stop him from sticking it where it most certainly does not belong. Why, just the other day he was sniffing around the auditorium, looking for that perfect spot where he could alternate between strumming his guitar and having a good quiet nap. So what if half of the practice rooms were locked and the stage itself was technically off limits? Cats go where they want!
Invoke: Worm his way into or out of places he shouldn't be in
Compel: Curiosity killed the...well, you know

Approaches

Stunts
Predatory Instinct: Tom is a cat, of course he's going to know how to stalk prey with bare hands! When Sneakily Creating an Advantage using his catty intuitions, the resulting boost or advantage gets two free invokes.
Earfluff: Unlike every mortal otaku with a headband, the vaguely triangular things on top of Tom's head are not just for show. Tom can, simply put, hear better, not just things humans can't hear (like a whisper of leaves), but things humans hear but can't pick up on (like a vague undertone of malice in a fake reassurance).
Dreamlands Connection: In between scenes, Tom can spend an FP to have a prophetic dream in the Dreamlands. Somebody--maybe the pudgy Mei Lin, maybe the millionth-favored Aidan, or maybe just a friend from home--will talk to Tom and give advice or possibilities about the next scene.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 7, 2014

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

This is a placeholder for a character. I like placeholders, even if I'm probably not going to use this image!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I have two pictures but they're (mildly processed) shots from a music video on YouTube. Thoughts on :filez:? (My Google-fu is kinda crap at finding a magical guitarist let alone one who looks North African.)

Fouroulou "Lou" Djoudi

Source

Also, a more concrete example of music-as-occult-device. (It's my current musical kick.)

High Concept: Occult Kabylie Guitarist
Invoke: Playing guitar, occult music, the Maghreb.
Compel: Culture shock, provincialism.
Fouroulou (Kabylie for "forgetful") Djoudi hails from rural Algeria - "rural" being largely defined as off the coast, mind you. The Sahara is ever a harsh companion, after all. Playing the guitar is and has been a respected trade in the region, but Lou's refined his talent into something greater. See, it turned out that Erich Zann did not independently invent the so-called "music of the spheres", but instead popularized it (such as it was) for the modern eye. Numerous traditions like these have existed over the millenia, fading in and out as practitioners pass on and scatter, but so long as humanity is curious it might discover such secrets again and again.

Trouble: Language Barrier
Invoke: Keep people in the dark, obscure meaning.
Compel: Fail to understand/misunderstand what others are saying.
His Kabyle and Arabic are impeccable and his French is passable, but unfortunately Occultar Academy uses none of those languages! To compound the problem, Kabyle and Arabic in particular are rather bereft of vowels compared to just about anything else, especially English/Japanese/whatever. At least Lou should learn quickly from immersion as a foreign exchange student, shouldn't he?

(Seriously, Kabyle has all of four vowels!)

Passion: Mechanic
Invoke: Repair/tweak "gross" machinery.
Compel: Fail to use modern computer technology.
Self-sufficiency is the name of the game in south Bouïra, and if no one else is around to fix something you quickly learn to do it yourself. Of course, if no one else is around to fix this stuff, then who's going to install all that fancy Information Age infrastructure? gently caress, Occultar Academy is the first place in which Lou has seen any reliable connection to the Internet, and the whole thing bewilders him.

Magic: Solid Sound
Invoke: Employ noise as a physical object.
Compel: Solid sound can be loud!
If there's one thing that improves the effectiveness of the "music of the spheres", it's volume. On one occasion his playing (as part of an exam, really) was so powerful that it shattered the classroom windows. And those of the next three rooms down. At least no eardrums bled, thanks to the professor's foresight in procuring earplugs.

Aspect: Heir to Tradition
Invoke: Remember something from teachings, hold resolve as part of something greater.
Compel: Old gods can learn new tricks.
Lou wasn't the only one who could perform otherworldly tricks with a guitar...but the closest authority was Taous Sadi, and saying that she was getting on in years was an understatement. What she knew and could teach with her arthritic hands was useful, but all those beings from beyond space are eternally adaptable.

Aspect: Compulsive Liar
Invoke: Smoothly lie
Compel: Lie or mislead at a bad time
It's been a habit since Lou discovered what he could do with a guitar (to keep people in the dark for their own good, you see...), but Lou has told the occasional whopper just to mess with someone's head. The only problem is that sometimes they catch up to him.

Aspect: Ain't Called Fouroulou for Nothing
Invoke: Realize Lou has "almost forgotten" something but conveniently had remembered it at the last moment.
Compel: Realize Lou has actually forgotten something.
Lou seems to have a penchant for forgetting things - how much of this is obfuscatory bullshit and how much is real remains to be seen.

Approaches
Flashy: +3

Stunts
Wall of Sound: More than once Lou's gotten out of a jam by setting up a barrier of noise, made physical due to his strange talents. When defending in physical combat, he may substitute Flashy for Quick.
The Weirdest of Scripts: Just take a look at Tifinagh. Does that look like a script, or like some ten-year-old's attempt at a :airquote:secret code:airquote:? It's no surprise then that quite a few scholars of the Mythos have practiced security-by-obscurity by using that exact script for their writings. Thankfully, Lou has just the right background to understand what's actually going on, and he gains +2 to Cleverly researching Ancient Ones/minions so long as he has access to some relevant text.
Improv Machinist: Experimenting on equipment that should have seized years ago is old hat for Lou. Even without any tools he can still Carefully create advantages on machinery-related situation aspects; if he has tools, he gains a +2 bonus to do such.

Edit: Thoughts?

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 30, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

I have two pictures but they're (mildly processed) shots from a music video on YouTube. Thoughts on :filez:?

I am pretty sure that's okay! In the meantime I will give you a placeholder like I did MSW.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Here's my guy so far:

His sword:

Hiroto Totama

High Concept: Disreputable Heir to the Totama Clan

Invoke: Invoking his clans name, knowing etiquette and how to command respect

Compel: Getting inconvenienced by the clan, being a lazy good for nothing

The Totamajin is a blade that is possessed by a powerful evil, it hasn't been glimpsed in centuries so no one knows what it’s true form is, but it is there. It will devour bits and pieces of reality if given a chance. Because of this, it has been sealed in a special sheath and it’s guard is tied to the sheath with a talisman, unbreakable by normal means.

As the leader of the clan and bearer of the blade grows frail, their progeny bears the sword instead. Hiroto is the 20th bearer, and it skilled in it’s use and applications. He also has certain obligations, such as making sure the seal is stable and heeding the orders of his clan.

But that’s a HUGE bother, so Hiroto decided to transfer as far away as possible. Sure, the school is partly supported by the Totama clan, so the name carries weight and they can influence things, but they can’t fully control his life or anything.

Trouble: Arrogant Smart rear end

Invoke: Clever wordplay, Understanding what is happening around him, irritating others on purpose

Compel: Flaring up if he's being sassed, underestimating other, irritating others by accident

Hiroto just went to this academy to get away form the clan and responsibilities for a while, not to learn things from some teacher. Besides, he knows what’s being taught already, the forbidden stuff is what’s interesting. Because of this, Hiroto will sass anyone he deems as stupid or talking down to him. This doesn’t change the fact that he is smart, as he’d need to be to bear the Totamajin and live.

Aspect: Master of Sealing, Slave to Curiosity

Invoke: Understanding and Creating Seals, Knowing something about otherworldly creatures or spirits.

Compel: Doing something dangerous to learn something new, gain first hand experience with a monster.

In order to stay alive, Hiroto had to master seals in order to control the Totamajin. It doesn’t mean he was ever curious about how to utilize the monster within, or other horrors that exist in the occult world.

Magic: The Devourer and the Seal

Invoke: Use the blade to eat away at thoughts or objects, Seal demons or magic

Compel: The blade grows hungry, begins fighting against the seal, or turns on Hiroto

The Cursed Blade houses something powerful. It can eat emotions , light, time, and space. Whatever it is, it must have caused severe devastation before it was sealed, or the seal simply housed it as it engorged itself and grew throughout the centuries.

The blade can be unsheathed just a crack to allow a small fragment through to help with certain…problems. But it a balance between nourishment and digestion must be maintained at all times. Lest the thing inside the blade wish to come out with force.

Passion: Otherworldly Bestiary

Hiroto has accumulated a vast amount of knowledge on the strange creatures that exist inside(and outside) this reality in an effort to fully understand the Totamajin. Because of that, he knows what to do when dealing wit these creatures or when trying to investigate them.

Approaches

Stunts:

Inflated Ego: Hiroto has an inflated ego, he might flare up if something gets through, but it has to get through first. One flippant comment and it’s back to square one for whoever is talking to him. Hiroto gains a +2 to cleverly defending against taunts, accusations, or inquisition.

Just an Instant…: While doctrine holds that the Totamajin must be sealed at all times, Hiroto has found a way to utilise the power of the thing inside, if only for an instant. Once per session, Hiroto can spend a Fate point to undo the seal and perform an iaijutsu, then quickly reseal the sword. When the Totamjin is drawn, it can devour something small enough that reality will not have to majorly alter itself, such as devouring the time for Hiroto to get somewhere, or devouring the existence of someone who hasn’t made much of an impact on the world. If a person has ways to actively defend against this, or Hiroto is using it to defend against something magical himself, Hiroto can add +2 to the roll utilizing this stunt.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 30, 2013

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
*sigh*

I guess I have to app.

PLACEHOLDER

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I have to go to sleep. I will finish this in the morning.

Nikki Vega

High Concept: The Girl Who Skipped Through Time
Invoke:
Compel:

Trouble: Past Her Expiration Date

See, Nikki dies back in 2020, but she's been avoiding it. Won't go near it. As a result she's kinda lonely, and out of date, and hideously old-fashioned. I mean, she still wears glasses. Who does that?!

Invoke:
Compel:

Passion: History!

DID YOU KNOW? Well, Nikki does. Nikki has been there, done that, sewn the fur coat from the pelt of the beaver she caught herself. And it's not like, limited to human history either. Ever been to the Cretaceous? It's muggy.

Invoke:
Compel:

Magic: PAUSE. REWIND. FAST FORWARD. SKIP!

Nikki's magic is really pretty cool. She can pause time for like, 5 whole seconds in a 10'x10' bubble. Which means she can totally dodge flying axes. But not bullets. Bullets are tricky, so if she gets shot she needs to like, rewind time for five seconds to get un-shot, and then stop time and get the gently caress out of the way before the guy shoots but after he's already decided to shoot. Fast forward isn't good for bullets either, but it's pretty good for running away afterwards, you just make sure you're far enough away from whoever you're running from that they don't get to come along.

Oh and then there's skip. Skipping over the year she died is what got her lost in the time-stream, and now sometimes she glitches out, and ends up having to spend an hour in another time altogether.

Invoke:
Compel:

Approaches
Forceful:+1

Stunts
stuntname:

mistaya fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 30, 2013

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Simone Sculley

High Concept: Accidental Technomancer
Simone never really expected that app to work. After all, it sounded like a bunch of wishy-washy fake magic. Reveal universal truths, cast spells of great power, all that jazz. She thought she was going to just laugh at it a bit, maybe learn a handy little rituals if she's lucky. Instead, she burnt her house down. The police didn't like that, exactly. When all was said and done, they gave her one choice: Spend the next five years in a correctional facility, or go to Occular Academy and learn how to not be an idiot with magic. The choice was clear.
Invoke: Drawing magic from technology, not freaking out that much when tech starts doing weird poo poo
Compel: Has giant gaps in her knowledge of basic magic theory

Trouble: “There’s Got To Be A Rational Explanation”
Simone is, at heart, a rational person. If there is an effect, there must be a cause. If someone does something, they have a reason. Magic does not work like that, but she really wants it to be. For now, she hasn't run into anything that she can't fit into her world view. When she does, it's not going to be pretty.
Invoke: Finding the logic at the heart of all this nonsense.
Compel: Did you know that magic actually is the mess of contradictions and impossibilities that naysayers say it is? No you didn’t, don’t lie to me.

Passion: Transhumanitarianism
Simone has faith, but not in any gods. The only thing the gods have given this world is a bunch of crazed cultists, and people don't need any help making those. No, Simone has faith in technology. Technology is what let humanity extend beyond a tiny chunk of Africa, let humanity survive, let humanity thrive. Technology has brought us to heights our grandparents couldn't even imagine, and it'll bring us further if we let it. Sure, not everyone's getting the same benefits, but that's our fault, not techno-wait where are you going I haven't even started talking about the cool stuff!
Invoke: Spread the wonders of technology to all who want it
Compel: Shut up about the wonders of loving technology already

Magic: The Flames of Faltine? There’s An App For That.
There are two main groups of people that lay claim to the title of technomancer: those who cast magic on technology, and those who cast magic through technology. Simone is firmly in the latter camp. It really is the best school of magic she could have fallen into, to be honest. Lets her offload a lot of the ritual components onto subroutines. Sure, she's out of luck if she wants to cast a spell without something to run those preprogrammed chants and whatnot on, but when is she honestly going to not have something that can do that?
Invoke: The Nokiyama 4800 has one of the best technomagical app suites you’ll find this side of the Dreamlands. Occular provides one to everyone in a technomancy course.
Compel: But it’s still just a cell phone. A cell phone that everyone and their mother has already jailbroken.

Aspect: Technically Under Parole
Just because she's not in jail right this minute doesn't mean Simone's brief criminal past doesn't still hang over her. One, every knows about it, even if it's just as a rumor. Hell, it's worse if they've only heard rumors. Then everything's blown out of proportion and they think she's an insane pyromaniac. Two, if she leaves this island with anything but a diploma, she's going to be spending a good chunk of time in the bad side of prison. She can't afford to get in any more trouble than she's already in.
Invoke: A criminal record still has some weight, even if it’s just for Property Damage Through Magical Means (Accidental)
Compel: It’s still a criminal record. A criminal record she’s still paying off by being here.

Aspect: Looking For Friends In All The Wrong Places
Simone hasn't had the best luck making friends since she's arrived in Occular. Not through lack of trying, though. It's just that most respectable people don't really want to associate with a known criminal. As for the freaks and geeks who are willing to let her hang around anyway, they're a bad influence at best and trying to use her at worst. Still, if you had to choose between no friends and bad friends, what would you choose?
Invoke: Don’t worry, I know someone who can help out!
Compel: For a very reasonable rate!

Aspect: Information Wants To Be Free
Do you know what a secret is good for? Nothing, that's what. It just sits there and rots. You let it go, you let anyone who wants to know it know it, and it'll grow into something great. Maybe something great and terrible, but still great.
Invoke: Know things you probably shouldn't and help other people know them too.
Compel: See: Invoke.

Approaches

Stunts
-Hack The Planet: Because we live in the wireless future our parents only dreamed of, once per scene I may hack into something that probably shouldn’t be open to wifi.
-F://ireball: Because I have already encoded eldritchflames.exe hours ago just in case, I may use Careful in place of Flashy when launching gouts of flame from my phone.
-Twelve Easy Secrets To A Tighter Seal: Because the Internet is still full of dubious advice that’s sometimes worth taking, once per scene I can automatically create an aspect by turning to the World Wide Web.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 2, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Emily Smith

High Concept: Perfectly Average Schoolgirl
Emily honestly doesn't know why she's attending Occultar Academy over any of the other normal high schools in the world; she's not even aware that she's capable of magic!

Trouble: A Little Weirded Out
Life at Occultar is difficult for Emily. She doesn't really fit in with the other students very well, and some of their abilities are down-right creepy. That's not to say that she doesn't try to make friends, she's just very unsuccessful.

Passion: Physics!
Amidst all the craziness, Emily loves to study the laws of the universe. Well, the old laws anyway, since most of them have been broken by now.

Magic: Aura of Aggressive Normality
I guess you could call it anti-magic, really. Things have a knack for becoming much, much more normal in her presence. It's not strong enough to dispel any of her classmates' powers, but if she's the first one to arrive to class, you can expect all of the students to find their notes carefully reorganized, their pencils freshly sharpened, new sticks of chalk on the blackboard, etc.

Aspect: Cheerful in the Face of Terror
No matter how terrifying or unnatural something is, Emily maintains an optimistic outlook and a cheerful facade. Or she pretends to, at least.

Aspect: Bag of Holding
Need some small or obscure tool to solve a problem? Emily's probably got one in her purse. Although she's usually a bit wary of magic, a bottomless purse is a must-have for the modern woman.

Aspect: Actually Above Average at Doing One Thing
Emily’s pretty good at archery, and is in fact captain of the academy’s archery team. Of course, her slightly above-average skill could just be exaggerated by her power making her opponents that much more mediocre at the sport.

Approaches

Stunts
Nope Nope Nope: Emily denys something that she perceives as being so wrong that it becomes more normal, and thus usually less threatening. Once per scene, when she or an ally would suffer Hope loss, she can negate that loss.
Normalcy Heaven: Emily stands her ground against the unnatural, attempting to will the strange thing or occurrence out of existence. She gains the Implausible Deniability aspect with one free invoke.
Good With Outsiders: Emily relates to non-magical people much better than her peers tend to. When she negotiates with a normal person, she can spend a fate point to turn a failure into a success.

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 9, 2014

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
YOU THOUGHT THE APPS ENDED?! YOU WERE WRONG!!!

High Concept: The Prettiest Pretty Prince

In the darkness of the blasted future, there is still light. The runways must be cleaned, the dresses sewn, the models all but converted into glorified mannequins. In the darkness of the blasted future there is fashion, and fashion's birthplace of Paris reborn into...Neo-Paris. From the ashes of the Arcane Revolution came a new line of royalty from the recently resurrected line of Louis XIV, and from this line a man was born...

Alexis De Monet.

His destiny was certain, for he was a De Monet, and from possibly the most fabulous nation in the world. Boy howdy did he ever pick up on it. He not only embraced fabulousness, he practically reinvented it in his own glorious image. The instant he pulled up in his Louis Vuitton Malletier Hoverlimo and stepped onto the campus grounds, Alexis was swarmed by girls dazzled by the sparkling gorgeousness, forever solidifying his status as the prettiest man on campus. Needless to say, being this unbelievably fabulous can have its downsides. Hard as it is to believe, sometimes Alexis doesn't want to be seen or swarmed by entire mosh pits of adoring public. Naturally those are the times when the sun shines just right and his hair falls just right along his face and gives him the countenance of an angel. That and quite frankly sometimes the flower petals just irritate his nose and make him sneeze.

Invoke to: Be so utterly fabulous he outshines the sun, wrap people around his perfectly manicured fingertips he's so sexy
Compel to: Be unbearably French. Why is there this swarm of girls stuck to me? Why is there allergy inducing flower petals flying around me? I don't want to sparkle right now!

Trouble: That Which Is Not Beautiful Is UNWORTHY!!!

Thing is, being around all that beauty and fashion and money in one's life can...do things to a person's mind. Whether it's the hairspray, the foundation, or whatever is in those sparkles that keep popping up, Alexis has gained some rather odd ideas about the importance of beauty. Beauty is what's right with the world, after all.

Problem with that is that there is so, so much ugliness in the world it is a travesty. Ugliness, filth, sloppy fashion, grease, filth, dust, filth! Worst of all it is everwhere in this accursed school! So many bad fashion decisions from students, so much littering, so much acne! It's like no one cares at all about what they look or how clean the place is. Why it's enough to drive a person outright mad...

Invoke to: Make things pretty and fast, to break someone down for their lack of beauty
Compel to: Lose his god drat mind when surrounded by ugly and dirty things

Passion: Technoblading

The Arcane Revolution didn't just bring with it blasted landscapes. Along in the aftermath came a boost in new consumer products as technologies previously only dreamed of went into mass production. One of these new technologies was the advent of effective micromachines (not nanomachines, that poo poo is just magic). This new advent led to the strange idea to put them inside rollerblades, and soon the newly branded "Technoblades" hit the market.

After hanging around the hip-hop culture for a bit, where the blades were advocated by loud punks with a fondness for vandalizing with graffiti, technoblades became a short fad for any kid seeking the thrill of strapping what were essentially miniature cars to your feet. Eventually the fad burned out, but the blueprints for similar machines hit the market.

Naturally, technoblading hit the De Monet household as well. Unlike the rest of the family, Alexis actually took quite a liking to it. Pretty soon, the one thing he loved more than being fabulous was being fabulous while flying through the air at 40 MPH. Not too many others share his keen affection for the sport, though, both out of disinterest and possible property damage that results from blading.

Invoke to: Gotta go fast, pull off sick stunts, maybe have some actual technical knowledge
Compel to: Have no one outside of the technoblading circle give one poo poo about technoblading

Magic: Prince of Roses

It turns out the De Monets have quite the reason for being involved in the occult, aside from being the exact demographic that the occult would most appeal to. One of them managed to fall into possession of a strange lens crafted long ago by the blasphemously long-lived Oracles of Daoloth. There was some obscure prophecy involving something called the "Heaven's King", and in response the Oracles created a series of lenses that tapped into lines of great elemental power. The De Monets became the keeper of the Lens of the Rose, one of the stranger lenses but a lens nonetheless.

The Oracles either passed from this world or were killed in time, until only one remained circling a satellite around Earth. Turns out the last living Oracle is batshit crazy, probably from all that living in the void of space preventing air from getting to his brain. See, he looked at this fad called technoblading and thought "You know those lenses that can channel primal elemental power? Let's turn them into wheels and stick them on these bad boys." So, he used what little connection with the world he had left to steal back the lenses and reforge them. By the time the De Monets could afford a rocket in time to fly up to get back their property, the Oracle had completed his task and scattered about all the newly made Great Wheels except for the Rose Wheel. It was about then that the Oracle had the poo poo kicked out of him, and the Rose Wheel was about to be tossed out when its new form was analyzed.

It didn't stop Alexis from slapping it onto his technoblades though. Turns out the Great Wheels still have an incredible magic power within them, as evidenced by the buildings Alexis had accidentally exploded. After making a show of his new strength, Alexis was promptly flown off to Occultar Academy. It's a bit awkward given that his particular magic skills places him squarely in the awkward camp of "Occult Sports, Misc.", and the occasional insane duel from another holder of the Great Wheel. Still, Alexis is fully capable of working his high-speed botanical magic.

Invoke to: Tap into the power of the Rose Wheel to pull off ridiculous magic bullshit, usually flower themed, possibly evoke some prophecy related to the Great Wheels and Daoloth
Compel to: Get involved in over-the-top stupid technoblading duels, can't wear the Rose Wheel all the time

I Have An Inordinate Amount Of Money

There is one thing about the De Monets that is immediately obviously; they are god drat rich. This is the kind of family that eats ice cream made of gold and smokes hashish rolled up in $1,000 bills for the hell of it. Life is good when you can basically buy something like five yachts a day and have them get delivered with express shipping. It can also completely disconnect you from any sense of reality whatsoever.

Invoke to: Be filthy rich, have absurdly expensive things at the push of a button
Compel to: Be a snobby rich rear end in a top hat, be kin to filthy rich assholes, be a magnet for every politically inclined person with an "Eat the 1%" sticker on their car

Such A Drama King

There is one other thing to be said; Alexis is an absolute overdramatic buffoon. Being in that heady overlap between being in high school and being nobility can make one a rather overdramatic rear end in a top hat. Whether it's playing with others emotions with your own, or dropping some hot piece of scandalous news, Alexis knows how to play the game. It's just that sometimes Alexis forgets that sometimes it's better to not play the game at all and be, you know, not a petty piece of poo poo.

Invoke to: Cut down with a juicy piece of gossip, to sell something like no one has ever sold something before
Compel to: Be overdramatic and just be a whiny little turd in general, also all the gossip

(TBD)

Approaches:
Fabulous: +3

Stunts:

Keep Your Dueling Glove Strong: Being royalty from Neo-Paris, Alexis is schooled in the fine art of slapping people in the face with gloves and challenging them to duels for the slightest slight on his person. Once per scene, Alexis may officially challenge someone to a duel, forcing his opponent to duel him one on one. In this duel, each participant can only use advantages made by themselves for free, any other use of an advantage costs a fate point.

Chrysanthemum Overdrive: Even if it's not one of the original Great Wheels, the Rose Wheel is made from the same magics that the Oracles of Daoloth once wielded. Still, it is a double-edged sword, as beautiful as it is. Alexis may take a Severe Consequence to gain a +2 to Fabulous and Quick rolls for the rest of the scene.

Let's Dance: One must know how to dance with the ladies as part of the way to properly woo them. Any success rolled with the Fabulous approach involving dancing is an automatic success with style.

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 1, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Okay, including placeholders for MSW, genericangst and OmegaGoo:

We kind of have an app overload already, so I'm going to go ahead and say we're closed. If you've posted already but haven't posted a finished sheet (Toad, Madoka and Bowser I'm looking at you), but please get it done in the next day or so.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Okay, I am for real drowning in awesome apps here. I have an idea that will alleviate it a little, though:

As a few of you probably know I am running a few NyarlathoTech games - they are also super anime Cthulhu games, just a slightly different flavour. One of them, Privilege Threshold (the riveting story of government agents in Shanghai who get caught up in a load of bullshit), has a slot open right now.

So, instead of asking around, how about I ask you guys first? :getin: If anyone's interested, I will either bring your character into NTech (it's a Fate Core/Dresden mashup though, not Accelerated) or let you make a new character for it, and in exchange you make my app-picking job 5% easier.

(Offer not open to existing NTech players, obviously.)

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

We're presently preparing to defend an rear end in a top hat from a crazed sword-wielding assassin in a cheesy gambling house.

And it's gonna be awesome.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That does sound pretty awesome...

On the other hand, Libby doesn't look like she'd fit the tone (On reflection, she may not fit the tone of this game to well either...) and I've only used FAE so far, not full-fat-FATE, so right now, I'll just say I'll take that slot if no-one else wants it more, and maybe make a fuller decision after work, after grabbing the book.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The super crazy apps in this thread aside, the NTech PCs alone include a magical girl PI who does cocaine, a motorcycling miko and a Favoured One Of Nyarlathotep with a solid gold heart, as well as totally normal government agents, salarymen and wizards! Wherever you are on the spectrum I think you'd all fit in just fine :buddy:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 30, 2013

Dynamics
Sep 8, 2006

I'm da man!
Well that sounds rad as hell. I'd probably change some things around for Aren in the transition, but put me down as interested!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Hmm, they're based in a library too... and don't have a schoolgirl for the 'anime as gently caress quota' yet...

In a few hours, I think I'll be on IRC asking questions about how Dresden-FATE works.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be apping for this after all. I've got enough games floating around, and I'm not really feeling a concept for this game. Perhaps next time.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright!

Elfface posted first so we'll sort Libby out (unless he changes his mind!), either way with OmegaGoo backing out that's two picks down. Waiting for everyone to finish their sheets now. :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Because I would rather do literally anything other than grad school applications, I went back and added invoke/compel to Daigo's aspects. :v: Back to the grindstone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
If theres still room I would like to be counted it. Consider this post a placeholder until later tonight.

• Locked thread