Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Bought Bionic Dues over the steam sale and man is it frustrating. Is there anyway to deal with half your squad being wiped out by explosives five minutes into a mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Space Bat posted:

Bought Bionic Dues over the steam sale and man is it frustrating. Is there anyway to deal with half your squad being wiped out by explosives five minutes into a mission?

Don't get hit by explosives. Seriously, the game seems to be heavily built around ensuring that you get the first, and only, shot against bots. That means letting them come into range and then one-shotting them, or out-ranging them so you can plink them down before they get to shoot you, or hitting them with AOE when they can't see you, or stealthing up to them and shooting them with a Ninja (or hacking them), or using turrets to shoot around corners, etc.

It can be very punishing of mistakes, though. Once you lose one exo, you're liable to lose your others. A word of advice: postpone hacking unknown terminals until the mission is already won; one of the possible options is "terminal explodes, taking your exo with it", and there are other nasty ones like "all bots in sensor range get double turns" and "all bots in sensor range get +5 attack range".

Also, stealth is there to save your hide when you screw up. If a bot with a rocket launcher has a red aiming laser on you, stealth and duck around a corner. Better than hoping they'll miss.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 27, 2013

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Don't get hit by explosives. Seriously, the game seems to be heavily built around ensuring that you get the first, and only, shot against bots. That means letting them come into range and then one-shotting them, or out-ranging them so you can plink them down before they get to shoot you, or hitting them with AOE when they can't see you, or stealthing up to them and shooting them with a Ninja (or hacking them), or using turrets to shoot around corners, etc.

It can be very punishing of mistakes, though. Once you lose one exo, you're liable to lose your others. A word of advice: postpone hacking unknown terminals until the mission is already won; one of the possible options is "terminal explodes, taking your exo with it".

So should I just stack as many damage boosters as I can onto my assault mech's laser rifle? Because that seems to be the most damaging weapon I have besides a siege mech's rockets, and it has enough range that I only get killed by splash damage half the time. The game seems like it could be fun but I don't really like how it seems that it would be better to just stack three assault mechs and one science mech so I can exploit corners using a grenade launcher.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Space Bat posted:

So should I just stack as many damage boosters as I can onto my assault mech's laser rifle? Because that seems to be the most damaging weapon I have besides a siege mech's rockets, and it has enough range that I only get killed by splash damage half the time. The game seems like it could be fun but I don't really like how it seems that it would be better to just stack three assault mechs and one science mech so I can exploit corners using a grenade launcher.

That will work for awhile, but bots get extra range as the game progresses (the game helpfully tells you how the difficulty affects various stats from the start-game screen). If I recall correctly, my first game still leaned fairly heavily on the (assault) grenade launcher, (siege) rocket launcher, and (ninja) welding laser, but I mostly stacked +range, +AOE, and +ammo on the weapons while stacking +all weapon damage on other slots. A single +damage upgrade on a weapon was usually enough to keep it competitive with the bots' HP values.

The assault mech starts out strong, then hits a bit of a lull in the midgame in my experience, when the grenade launcher stops one-shotting things. The siege mech is really your "I win" button; if you wanted to roll-face through the game then 3 siege and 1 science might be a plausible party. Just don't run out of ammo on your rocket launchers...

Also don't underestimate stacking stealth and hacking points on the Scientist, or +trap skill and turrets. High-level turrets (they get bonus stats from your trap skill) can slaughter large numbers of bots without any danger to your exos.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That will work for awhile, but bots get extra range as the game progresses (the game helpfully tells you how the difficulty affects various stats from the start-game screen). If I recall correctly, my first game still leaned fairly heavily on the (assault) grenade launcher, (siege) rocket launcher, and (ninja) welding laser, but I mostly stacked +range, +AOE, and +ammo on the weapons while stacking +all weapon damage on other slots. A single +damage upgrade on a weapon was usually enough to keep it competitive with the bots' HP values.

The assault mech starts out strong, then hits a bit of a lull in the midgame in my experience, when the grenade launcher stops one-shotting things. The siege mech is really your "I win" button; if you wanted to roll-face through the game then 3 siege and 1 science might be a plausible party. Just don't run out of ammo on your rocket launchers...

Also don't underestimate stacking stealth and hacking points on the Scientist, or +trap skill and turrets. High-level turrets (they get bonus stats from your trap skill) can slaughter large numbers of bots without any danger to your exos.

Thanks a lot for all the pointers. Abusing corners and AoE has changed everything around for me now. My siege mech as 12 rockets in a 5 radius area. Talk about night and day! Ha, once you figure the game out it definitely becomes a lot more fun, that's for sure.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

victrix posted:

Do the Sots: The Pit expansions add any abilities or anything more involved to the gameplay?

I picked up the base game on sale, and I like the general aesthetic, but the core gameplay seems to be 'shoot dude, stab dude, run out of durability on your shoot/stab tool'.

Also my inventory gets clogged with piles of garbage and I can't find any recipes - is this a wiki-only adventure?

The Pit is an awful game and we are all fools for buying it.

Having said that, Mindgames adds psionic powers that can sometimes give you a bit more options as to what to do in scenarios. Fear-ing enemies is always useful for crowd control. Gold Edition apparently includes Mindgames?? It also has a few non-human classes that go through food like no tomorrow and start off with either ridiculous skills or gear but I've kept on starving to death around floor 11. You can't explore to find food because it isn't guaranteed to spawn but not exploring means you're less likely to find food and gently caress this game

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

Also my inventory gets clogged with piles of garbage and I can't find any recipes - is this a wiki-only adventure?

You're supposed to discover recipes by fully decrypting computer logs, but seriously, screw that. Use the wiki—and once you've built a recipe, you know it forever and for all characters.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Space Bat posted:

Yeah the game really feels half-baked. There's a grand total of I think 5 usable items, of which only the pistol and the knife are useful. Maybe 4 spells which are all bad except the "make a block" spell, and a bunch of generally useless accessories. The devs seemed to assume players would be slow and sneaky, but with how stupid and useless enemies are you can just bunnyhop around everything. Really, the nicest thing I can say about Eldritch was that you could really zoom around levels, especially with jump boots and an amulet of destruction. Also you hands look like drumsticks and half the time the enemies just kill themselves. The only challenge in the game are the statues that insta-kill you if you look away from them.

Yeah I started playing Eldritch last night and I liked it at first but the most time I put into it the most I dislike it. And it's not even the weird sound effects or the graphics (they're oddly charming) but there's just not a lot of interesting things to find and yeah all of the spells are kinda bad.

And gently caress those goddamn statues. I'm fine some weird thing that you have to face in order to survive, I acyually think that's kinda neat. My problem is that I have no idea what the rules are. I thought that they only triggered after you look at them and they kinda do the crumbling effect but apparently that's not the case. Also apparently they can attack you even if they're not facing you and they can teleport thought fences they can see you through? And what is their range? I've seen rooms absolutely full of those fuckers and if you don't have dynamite welp game over.

Book 1 was actually fun but those assholes have made Book 2 tedious as hell.

e: also I see no reason not to just steal from every shop you find since the shopkeepers can't do a drat thing except kinda limp after you. and I guess I somehow acquired a DLC book that's in the snow and is long as hell. no idea where it ends but the constant icicles falling from above suck

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just find Eldritch kind of bleh. I actually think Paranautical Activity is better, simply because the shooting mechanics are more fun. Maybe I need to put some more time in Eldritch to appreciate it, but it certainly didn't grab me right away.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Jordan7hm posted:

I just find Eldritch kind of bleh. I actually think Paranautical Activity is better, simply because the shooting mechanics are more fun. Maybe I need to put some more time in Eldritch to appreciate it, but it certainly didn't grab me right away.

Have you also tried Fancy Skulls?

Also, heres a good review on Claustrophobia that is in the indie royal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twy4SH7NSMw

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

Nope. I've heard of it, but I missed it on the indiegamestand promo and I'm not dropping 6$ for another one of these until I see more than alpha gameplay.

The guy in that video is quite annoying.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Harminoff posted:

The devs played Dredmor a lot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Oh man, anyone who enjoys Binding of Isaac will probably enjoy Nuclear Throne on Steam. It's early access right now but it's pretty drat fleshed out and they release updates about every week. It's a bit more focused on action than BoI is, but the formula is similar.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Plus it's from Vlambeer and they're never not made a fun game and won't drop development before it's actually complete.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

You guys weren't kidding when you were talking about One Way Heroics. What a fun, fun game. I've already beaten it as a knight and as an adventurer, and I'm loving it. The current Indie Royale is worth getting just for it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jordan7hm posted:

The guy in that video is quite annoying.

It's the same guy on every Twitch stream or YouTube game video I've ever seen. Why does everyone have to be a wacky white guy simply bubbling over with personality? It's either that or they emit an adolescent scream of displeasure every time something happens to them?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Think about who their audience is

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Space Bat posted:

You guys weren't kidding when you were talking about One Way Heroics. What a fun, fun game. I've already beaten it as a knight and as an adventurer, and I'm loving it. The current Indie Royale is worth getting just for it.

One Way Heroics rules. Here's two keys! Just replace the numbers with A CAPITAL LETTER derived from the clues below.

pre:
7Rh(1)ruU8(2)lIB
1: The first letter of the Shapeless, god of slimes.
2: The third letter of she who's rear end is the best.

pre:
NTZy1v(1)(2)mLMJ
1: The first letter of the stat that gives you increased Perception, Will, Smithing and Song.
2: The second letter of the easily disturbed knickknack-craver.

According to the email from Playism, this is how you turn in your key: http://playism-games.com/

PLAYSIM posted:

Since this game is a gift, there’s no need to purchase anything; simply download and enjoy!
In order to download your game, please go to PLAYISM, login and add the game listed above to your shopping cart.
On the shopping cart page you can use the code from above to get the game for free!
Once you’ve got the game, you can access it via your downloads page, under the My Account section of the site.
If you don’t already have an account, you can make one here. It’s fast, simple, and won’t cost you a dime.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at: contact@playism-games.com

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Ooh, thanks! Claimed the second one (Grace from Sil and the demented ratling from ADOM, I think).

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

pumpinglemma posted:

Ooh, thanks! Claimed the second one (Grace from Sil and the demented ratling from ADOM, I think).

Only one way to find out!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bought the game weeks ago, but still get a laugh on the best rear end reference.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

madjackmcmad posted:

Only one way to find out!

I've already used the code, so they're probably right. :)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

I've already used the code, so they're probably right. :)
That is very interesting!

quote:

the demented ratling from ADOM, I think
Was not correct at all, so maybe you had a lucky typo?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

doctorfrog posted:

It's the same guy on every Twitch stream or YouTube game video I've ever seen. Why does everyone have to be a wacky white guy simply bubbling over with personality? It's either that or they emit an adolescent scream of displeasure every time something happens to them?

We'll they are trying to keep people entertained. The only person I know who doesn't do something like that is this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ91H4iLNqQ

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Harminoff posted:

We'll they are trying to keep people entertained. The only person I know who doesn't do something like that is this guy
I have to be fair, because, as an entitled manchild myself, I will sometimes try to watch a stream or video while working, to have a pleasant background hum. Then, something happens to make the dude wet his pants and I'm hammering the volume button.

There are also some folks who have a genuine knack for that vibrant video personality. I think that those who don't, try to make up for it by layering it on as thick as possible, as if sheer wackiness by volume is the path to entertainment.

I've noticed that speedrunners usually don't do this, but I guess that's partly because they're concentrating so hard, and partly because they don't run into many things they don't expect.

BTW, Jordan7hm, I got my copy of Don't Starve. Thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I've noticed that speedrunners usually don't do this, but I guess that's partly because they're concentrating so hard, and partly because they don't run into many things they don't expect.

I expect this is also because they'll play the same game, and even the same portion of the same game, for hours on end. The greatest comedian in the world would run out of content and just stop trying after awhile. And honestly, not trying is preferable to trying too hard.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Harminoff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ91H4iLNqQ

I've been trying to bug him forever to give Shiren a whirl, so I'll take this as a step in the right direction.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Looking for several different types of roguelike/rogulite games in the follow categories:

-What people think are the most graphically impressive roguelikes or roguelites

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

-The best coop roguelikes or roguelites people enjoy playing with friends

-Same question as above, but more 'party game' ish for local coop

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Spacedad posted:

Looking for:

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

-Brogue

-Brogue

-Risk of Rain

-Spelunky

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

uPen posted:

-Brogue

-Brogue

I looked this one up, and the game has no art or graphics to speak of. :mad:

I'm hoping to find a roguelike or roguelite that can show off my beastly machine or just look drat pretty while playing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Spacedad posted:

Looking for several different types of roguelike/rogulite games in the follow categories:

-Brogue

-DoomRL

-Spelunky

-Spelunky

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Spacedad posted:

I'm hoping to find a roguelike or roguelite that can show off my beastly machine or just look drat pretty while playing.

Brogue is the prettiest roguelike out there. Download it and see for youself, what it does with ascii is nothing short of incredible.

It's free after all. :v:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Get over yourself and play Brogue.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Brogue does look drat pretty, you really have to see it in motion. You're not gonna find one that's gonna tax any hardware from the last decade (other than maybe Risk of Rain because lol Game Maker) since they're pretty much universally indie projects with tiny teams.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

dis astranagant posted:

Brogue does look drat pretty, you really have to see it in motion. You're not gonna find one that's gonna tax any hardware from the last decade (other than maybe Risk of Rain because lol Game Maker) since they're pretty much universally indie projects with tiny teams.

Yeah I see that it has a lot of color variation in some of the screenshots - any good videos that show off the game in motion?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If you want a roguelike to show off what your new comp can do graphics-wise you're probably looking in the wrong genre. But as far as good-looking in a technical sense goes it's amazing what Brogue pulls off with the standard ASCII tileset. DoomRL has really pretty graphics in the 'nice to look at' category, though. If you want processing power then Dwarf Fortress is probably your best bet even though it's technically not a roguelike unless you play Adventurer mode.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

doctorfrog posted:

Get over yourself and play Brogue.

I'll be happy to play a good game - I am just wondering if there's any present examples of graphically impressive roguelikes/lites yet or on the horizon. With the crazy appeal that things are now for roguelites, it may be a matter of time before we see some though.

If there's any presently in early development, let me know. I think there's some zombie survival house-building things and that 'sir you are being hunted' alpha.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a 5 meg download just play it already.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Spacedad posted:

Yeah I see that it has a lot of color variation in some of the screenshots - any good videos that show off the game in motion?

It's not really a huge time investment to just download it and see for yourself. In fact you would probably spend more time looking for a decent video than you would if you just played it.

One of us, one of us.

Spacedad posted:

I'll be happy to play a good game - I am just wondering if there's any present examples of graphically impressive roguelikes/lites yet or on the horizon. With the crazy appeal that things are now for roguelites, it may be a matter of time before we see some though.

If there's any presently in early development, let me know. I think there's some zombie survival house-building things and that 'sir you are being hunted' alpha.

Graphically impressive? Not likely since high-end graphics take enormous teams and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Artistically impressive? There's plenty of examples, Brogue being the standout but others that spring to mind would be Risk of Rain, Red Rogue, and DoomRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dungeons of Dredmor also falls in the category of looking really good, but your mileage may vary on how you enjoy the gameplay.