Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
This may be an overly simple question, but how much yeast is normally used per loaf of bread? (I guess per gram of flour would be a better question)

I think the yeast I have is probably past its prime, which has been making time to rise take longer and longer, but that got me thinking about what a normal amount to use is. I don't want to just keep adding yeast because I want to taste the wheat rather than the yeast.

I understand hydration levels (I usually aim for 64-66% hydration for the regular sandwich bread I make, depending on how much wheat flour I add, 1.2-1.8% salt, and I try to let the tap water sit out for an hour to let some of the chlorine de-gas even though there's not much in the city water here) I make sure to use good quality bread flour (KA if I can find it, the High-Altitude Hungarian stuff seems to be okay, Gold Medal usually sucks) I've got a fairly healthy 50/50 (flour/water) starter.

I've been adding ~1.5tsp per 400g of flour, which has usually been fine, but lately the loaves haven't been getting a good oven spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SopWATh posted:

This may be an overly simple question, but how much yeast is normally used per loaf of bread? (I guess per gram of flour would be a better question)

I think the yeast I have is probably past its prime, which has been making time to rise take longer and longer, but that got me thinking about what a normal amount to use is. I don't want to just keep adding yeast because I want to taste the wheat rather than the yeast.

I understand hydration levels (I usually aim for 64-66% hydration for the regular sandwich bread I make, depending on how much wheat flour I add, 1.2-1.8% salt, and I try to let the tap water sit out for an hour to let some of the chlorine de-gas even though there's not much in the city water here) I make sure to use good quality bread flour (KA if I can find it, the High-Altitude Hungarian stuff seems to be okay, Gold Medal usually sucks) I've got a fairly healthy 50/50 (flour/water) starter.

I've been adding ~1.5tsp per 400g of flour, which has usually been fine, but lately the loaves haven't been getting a good oven spring.

Depending on the rising method and preferments you may use, you want between 0.5-1% yeast...in most cases. Obviously, there are edge cases - some doughs use wild fermentation alone, not relying on any added yeast.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SopWATh posted:

I find one tsp per 500g loaf more than enough. For no-knead 1/4 tsp is enough. This is Dove's Farm instant yeast.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Finally got the whole 'loaf shape' thing down on no-knead doughs. It involved flouring the surface and stretch-rolling into itself like pizza dough with the help of a lower hydration ratio (thanks therattle). Apologies for the poor photo quality. I only have a Nexus 7 to take pictures with.

The loaves fresh out of the oven last night. You could still hear them crackling as I took the photo.

Crumb of a loaf this morning as I cut it open for breakfast. Definitely should have used the normal amount of salt instead of 1/2 tsp. The bread had tasted fine before, but for some reason I followed a suggestion by one of the replies on the recipe page.

vv edit: unspoilered

bacalou fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 10, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah, un-/undersalted bread is just not that great.

Also, your bread looks okay, but stop spoilering your images; it's annoying as gently caress.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I baked a bread for the first time this morning!

I must not have baked it long enough because it was pretty dense still at the bottom there, but I was being neurotic about burning it. Oh well, still tasted great.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tannin posted:

I baked a bread for the first time this morning!

I must not have baked it long enough because it was pretty dense still at the bottom there, but I was being neurotic about burning it. Oh well, still tasted great.

If I had to guess, that's overproofed and underbaked. I would also give it a longer initial knead, right after you combine the ingredients - that'll contribute to a more uniform crumb and a stronger structure. What recipe did you use?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If I had to guess, that's overproofed and underbaked. I would also give it a longer initial knead, right after you combine the ingredients - that'll contribute to a more uniform crumb and a stronger structure. What recipe did you use?

I actually used the King Arthur no-knead white bread recipe from their site: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

I combined everything last night but after leaving it out at room temperature for the 2 hours it suggested it was just barely fitting in my lidded 5qt mixing bowl, like sticking to the lid when I pulled it off so maybe that had something to do with it. Then I left it in the fridge for about 10 hours, let it rest for an hour on the baking pan and baked it for ~30 minutes. It might also just be that I didn't mix everything well enough since I was doing it by hand...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Tannin posted:

I actually used the King Arthur no-knead white bread recipe from their site: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

I combined everything last night but after leaving it out at room temperature for the 2 hours it suggested it was just barely fitting in my lidded 5qt mixing bowl, like sticking to the lid when I pulled it off so maybe that had something to do with it. Then I left it in the fridge for about 10 hours, let it rest for an hour on the baking pan and baked it for ~30 minutes. It might also just be that I didn't mix everything well enough since I was doing it by hand...

That initial proof was too long - either your yeast was more active than theirs, your room was warmer than theirs, or something else was going on, but you should generally stop each rising stage when the dough doubles in size. The baking time sounds fine, but you can achieve better results with an instant read or meat thermometer. Bread is done at 180-190 for soft breads and rolls, 200-210 for crusty bread. If you don't have one, try lightly tapping on the bottom of the loaf - it should sound hollow when it's done.

Next time, I suggest two changes: mix very thoroughly, using tools if you want to (I like the handle of a wooden spoon, or the best whisk ever); and rise only until the dough is doubled.

Keep in mind that all of these suggestions are to make a better loaf, but not necessary for a good loaf. Bread is incredibly forgiving in that it's tasty, even when it's far from perfect.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That initial proof was too long - either your yeast was more active than theirs, your room was warmer than theirs, or something else was going on, but you should generally stop each rising stage when the dough doubles in size. The baking time sounds fine, but you can achieve better results with an instant read or meat thermometer. Bread is done at 180-190 for soft breads and rolls, 200-210 for crusty bread. If you don't have one, try lightly tapping on the bottom of the loaf - it should sound hollow when it's done.

Next time, I suggest two changes: mix very thoroughly, using tools if you want to (I like the handle of a wooden spoon, or the best whisk ever); and rise only until the dough is doubled.

Keep in mind that all of these suggestions are to make a better loaf, but not necessary for a good loaf. Bread is incredibly forgiving in that it's tasty, even when it's far from perfect.

All true. I'd also let it warm up from the fridge for longer.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

I never thought that I'd watch videos of whisking on YouTube ever, but here I am... It just seems so effortless to use. Another kitchen tool on my wish list, perfect!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dr. Klas posted:

I never thought that I'd watch videos of whisking on YouTube ever, but here I am... It just seems so effortless to use. Another kitchen tool on my wish list, perfect!

Ooh, I want one of those too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

therattle posted:

All true. I'd also let it warm up from the fridge for longer.

Agreed. I usually let my dough warm up for at least 2 hours, and I like to do so on my stainless pan, lightly oiled. It conducts heat better, resulting in a faster warmup.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Y'all think I could use a terrine mold as a bread pan?

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Y'all think I could use a terrine mold as a bread pan?

It would depend on materials used and the thickness of the walls. Thin aluminum might be feasible, but I think thick terra cotta or ceramic would be fairly bad for breads.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

bacalou posted:

It would depend on materials used and the thickness of the walls. Thin aluminum might be feasible, but I think thick terra cotta or ceramic would be fairly bad for breads.

They would be just awesome for high hydration doughs that like steam, especially no-knead bread. Otherwise, I agree.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

You can use just about any container to bake a bread in. It's just that if it's thick, you may wish to preheat it some.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Thanks for the replies. I'll try this out on a no-knead and post results.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Maybe in the hands of a non-imbecile this would've turned out great, but my bread was a mushy monstrosity and my terrine mold is ruined because I got water on it when it was still hot. I'm just gonna go crawl in a hole and die.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Maybe in the hands of a non-imbecile this would've turned out great, but my bread was a mushy monstrosity and my terrine mold is ruined because I got water on it when it was still hot. I'm just gonna go crawl in a hole and die.

Ouch. Don't be discouraged by failure. I've made more than my fair share of mistakes in the kitchen and I'd like to meet a cook who hasn't. If you have a half-sheet pan and a roll of parchment paper, you can make bread. It's just waiting for you to find a method that works for you and your setup.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

How is your terrine mold ruined? Did it crack and break? Also, how was your bread mushy? Did it not rise?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The terrine mold did indeed crack and break. I guess I could glue it but that just seems like an invitation for more misfortune. I mean it's whatever, it's something I had lying around, I won't be itching to make a terrine any time soon, and I could just go get a cheap bread pan anyway.

The dough was very wet, like a .7 saturation level. I guess the mold didn't get hot enough to make it not be a gooey mess. It was pretty much raw dough near the bottom, where the glass was thickest. The crust looked pretty nice though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The terrine mold did indeed crack and break. I guess I could glue it but that just seems like an invitation for more misfortune. I mean it's whatever, it's something I had lying around, I won't be itching to make a terrine any time soon, and I could just go get a cheap bread pan anyway.

The dough was very wet, like a .7 saturation level. I guess the mold didn't get hot enough to make it not be a gooey mess. It was pretty much raw dough near the bottom, where the glass was thickest. The crust looked pretty nice though.

Do you have a convection oven? You usually have the temperature set to high if the outside is finished before the inside, aka partially gooey inside. I have a convection oven and tried doing a bread at 400 and the outside was near burning, but still nice. (400 is what I use in class when I make breads, the oven has a stone block on bottom that has to pre heat for like an hour.) However, the inside had a segment as round as a summer sausage still uncooked.

The general consensus I have seen/get about convection ovens is to use 25-50°F less than you normally would use in a normal fan-less oven.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
My roommate is brewing some kind of apple wine concoction. I've been wanting to branch out into sourdough for a while now so I'd like to turn some of his yeast babies into a starter. Is this a good idea? Do I need to do anything different?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks to this thread, my bread has gone from bleh dense sad brick to AWESOME ROCKSTAR replacing our typical $5 a loaf BREAD-bread. (Getting a scale helped so much, as did using bread flour.)

I've generally been baking high-hydration half white whole white flour no-knead dough in my dutch oven for an awesome crusty loaf, but my partner wants more of a sandwich loaf. I kind of freestyled a bit--10 grams of salt, 5 grams of yeast, 250 grams of King Aruthur white whole wheat, 250 grams of King Arthur bread flour. I kneaded it a bit by hand, let it rise for an hour and a half, punched it down, and chucked it in the fridge overnight to retard the rise. I had my partner pull it out and let it proof for about two hours--which would normally be too long, but our apartment is somewhat drafty and I think many other breads have been under-proofed, so over-proofing was worth a shot. I baked it at about 400-375 until it hit an interior temp of 205 with my probe thermometer, occasionally steaming the oven up with a spray bottle full of water. It came out pretty much exactly how I wanted:

This success is 100% attributable to the content of this thread. Thanks, dudes.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Nicol Bolas posted:

...occasionally steaming the oven up with a spray bottle full of water.

This is my favorite bread trick. I spray once before it goes in, then again at the five-ten-fifteen minute watermarks. :v: I always get a crunchy, well-defined texture and a nice brown color.

Almost always.

bacalou fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 17, 2013

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Okay I'm bored and have stumbled onto this thread, I haven't made bread for ages and even then it was just crappy pre mixed packaged stuff for a school project. So tomorrow I'm going to need to get yeast and bread flour since we only have plain flour in.

Whats a nice simple recipe for a flavourful loaf.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can make bread with normal flour.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can make bread with normal flour.

yeah but since I have to get yeast I may as well get decent flour as well.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Rumda posted:

yeah but since I have to get yeast I may as well get decent flour as well.

I'm guessing by plain you mean all-purpose? Because I use AP flour all the time and get good results.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I usually just get King Arthur all purpose flour, that way you can make stuff other than bread without screwing up the recipe.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

Okay I'm bored and have stumbled onto this thread, I haven't made bread for ages and even then it was just crappy pre mixed packaged stuff for a school project. So tomorrow I'm going to need to get yeast and bread flour since we only have plain flour in.

Whats a nice simple recipe for a flavourful loaf.

Very basic:
500g flour
1tsp each yeast and salt
1Tbsp each veg oil and sugar/honey
Approx 320ml water or water and milk

Combine. Knead. Prove. Knock back/fold and shape. Prove again. Bake at 230c for 20 mins then 190C for 15-20. This would work well in a loaf tin. You can use that as a basic recipe. Add cheese, seeds, herbs, peel, raisins, whatever you like.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Is there any sort of generic name for bread with stuff inside, like baozi? I want to do some experimenting with buns stuffed with cheeses or meats, and it's surprisingly hard to google.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Tendales posted:

Is there any sort of generic name for bread with stuff inside, like baozi? I want to do some experimenting with buns stuffed with cheeses or meats, and it's surprisingly hard to google.

Filled buns.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

And thus the google floodgates are opened. Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nevermind

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 25, 2013

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Recently I've been trying out for a bakery and I saw people shaping and kneading their breads into loaves. Each one of them had their own technique to stretch out the dough and for molding; some folded them three times or tri-fold them; some rolled the dough as their way to knead; some used their thumbs to shape the loaves; etc.

Which brings me to my question: what techniques do y'all have for kneading and shaping dough into cylindrical loaves?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I prefer to flatten the dough and roll it.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

what techniques do y'all have for kneading and shaping dough into cylindrical loaves?

I lightly flour the surface then form it back under itself, drawing the outer 'skin' tight. Gotta be careful not to tear it, or the loaf will lose shape on the proof. Using the bare-minimum of water to bring the dough together also contributes to positive malleability. I've heard good things about baker's couches, but they might be better suited to a more elongated loaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey goons, a little help for a newbie bread maker.

I'm going to try this recipe that was posted earlier:

500g flour
1tsp each yeast and salt
1Tbsp each veg oil and sugar/honey
Approx 320ml water or water and milk

I have a question about yeast. I bought what I think is dry yeast and my GF told me there is also fresh yeast or something which does not last as long.
What are the differences between these two types? Also I bought the dry sort and all purpose flour will that be okay for the bread making?