Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mod sassinator posted:

How long do people think thick steaks should be cooked sous vide? These are thick prime grade ribeye steaks, about 1.5" thick and maybe 8-10oz each. I'm thinking of cooking at 130 F for about 2 hours. Any concerns?

2 hours is good. You could probably get away with 90 mins but another half hour of insurance can't hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mod sassinator posted:

How long do people think thick steaks should be cooked sous vide? These are thick prime grade ribeye steaks, about 1.5" thick and maybe 8-10oz each. I'm thinking of cooking at 130 F for about 2 hours. Any concerns?
That's fine. The according-to-Hoyle numbers for steaks are around an hour per inch at 55C/131F as a minimum. If you're searing after you could almost certainly get away with a shorter time (assuming the steak hasn't been jaccarded) since you're really worrying about surface contamination, but you didn't hear that from me.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I've done a ~2" ribeye 3 times now. First time was at 135 for 2 hours, second was 132 for 2 hours and third was 135 again for 2 hours. It just seems that more of the fat breaks down better at 135.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

LTBS posted:

I've done a ~2" ribeye 3 times now. First time was at 135 for 2 hours, second was 132 for 2 hours and third was 135 again for 2 hours. It just seems that more of the fat breaks down better at 135.

I have done the same and prefer ribeye steak at 135F for 2 hours, 132F didn't quite get it there.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Try 130ish for 4 hours, with a cut like ribeye you need to give it time to deal with the connective tissue if you're going to do it closer to 130.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Good points, I think I'll try 130 for 4 hours since there is a lot of fat in these steaks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mod sassinator posted:

Good points, I think I'll try 130 for 4 hours since there is a lot of fat in these steaks.
134 is perfect for me... Ribeye is way better a little warmer because the fat gets gooey.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

134 is perfect for me... Ribeye is way better a little warmer because the fat gets gooey.

130 is high enough to goo-ify the fat, it just takes way longer at that temp than a few degrees higher.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Sous vide ribeye trip report. Ended up doing 132F for 4 hours and got great results. I used a slow cooker with STC1000 temp controller and no agitation of the water. The big fat around the edge didn't render all the way, but the fat in the meat was fantastic. Tons of flavor, super tender, and nice moisture. Finished them with a map pro torch and was really happy with the results (have done sous vide burgers before but wasn't happy with torching them). Steaks were a huge hit with family and will definitely be done again.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Drive By posted:

Dave Arnold did a thing a few years back to test whether salting before sous-vide had any effect. The general conclusion was that salting before sousvizzing made the meat drier, with no gain in flavour. He guessed that was due to a "curing" of the meat during the cooking time. I haven't pre-salted since then, but can't say I've noticed a huge difference.

Here's an Ideas In Food post about the same thing, where they suggest either brining or salting post-svizzing, but never before: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2011/10/corrective-seasoning.html

I wonder if you could get the best of both worlds by vacuuming meats with just a little bit of brine solution, say, 10% or 20% of meat weight. Anyone ever try that?

I've not done that exactly but I have vacuumed meats that I've injection brined with no seasoning otherwise with fantastic results. Pork injected with a brine of salt, sugar, touch of clove and apple juice is pretty tasty. Similar brine with milk for turkey (from modernist cuisine at home actually, pretty great) had awesome results.

Lots of meat in this thread, anyone have some awesome non protein recipes? I have a few:

For ice cream, you can use basically any custard or ice cream recipe. I do 250ml milk and cream, 100g sugar, ~150g egg yolk, plus any spices/flavorings. Mix to combine, seal (or zip lock and pot of water if you're not a super rich dude with a chamber sealer) and cook at 185F for an hour. Put into an ice bath and chill for an hour then store or churn or mix with dry ice. Sous vide custards are pretty great and if you can get dry ice it makes a fantastically smooth ice cream.

Broccoli florets with butter and garlic, season, 183-185F for 30-60 minutes

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html - great carrots

I can't remember where I read it but 4 eggs, two yolks, a touch of butter, some shredded gruyere and some cubed gruyere at 164 for 15-30 minutes makes an insane omelette

DeeMurf
Oct 15, 2013

Grenouilles Sans Frontiers

Bought a Polyscience puddlewarmer for my dad for christmas - Great success! Now I can't wait for the guy to figure out how to use it properly. And, with that in mind...

Could we please add a list of informative links to recipes, tips and other interwebz recources for sous vide cooking to the OP?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

DeeMurf posted:

Bought a Polyscience puddlewarmer for my dad for christmas - Great success! Now I can't wait for the guy to figure out how to use it properly. And, with that in mind...

Could we please add a list of informative links to recipes, tips and other interwebz recources for sous vide cooking to the OP?

Look up a practical guide to sous vide cooking by baldwin

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

The Serious Eats blog has a pretty solid Sous Vide 101 series of blog posts, and Chef Steps has a bunch of well produced videos for sous vide recipes, although some of their recipes require very specific ingredients, tools and techniques you might not be able to pull off in a small kitchen.

We opened the Anova last night and vizzled a flank steak @ 135F for Christmas dinner. It came out super tender and delicious, can't wait to try some fish.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy poo poo that sous vide turkey porchetta was amazing:

One thing for next time is to try and spread the sage/garlic mixture out more and try to wrap it a bit better. Some bites were a flavor explosion and others were just perfectly cooked turkey.

I about had a heart attack when I put the turkey into the wok though. I put the lid on it and it sounded like oil was going to go everywhere at any given second. Seriously was worried about starting a huge grease fire. I filled the wok up about 1/3, but maybe a bit more because the turkey was 80% covered in oil. Also, I could have fried
It just a bit longer but it was a huge loving hit and I'm so excited about the leftovers.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone have thoughts on the Aqua Chef? (This sous vide system device thing.)

Based on this thread I believe it might be worth returning and getting an Anova instead, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the device. It's probably going to cost a lot to send back & get a vacuum sealer separately (or just use ziplocks) but the thing takes up a LOT of space and some stuff looks a bit sketchy on the parent company end of things. Can anyone speak to it? Is the Anova worth the pain of returning & ziplocking?

EDIT: I'm thinking yes but I hate to return an xmas present without a really good reason and I would like the internet to validate my feelings, please.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 29, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Depends how much it costs to return?

But so far, nobody has anything but great praise for the Anova's performance here, and it gives you lots of flexibility with cooking vessels and counter space

Edit: also $40 less

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 29, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nicol Bolas posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the Aqua Chef? (This sous vide system device thing.)

Based on this thread I believe it might be worth returning and getting an Anova instead, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the device. It's probably going to cost a lot to send back & get a vacuum sealer separately (or just use ziplocks) but the thing takes up a LOT of space and some stuff looks a bit sketchy on the parent company end of things. Can anyone speak to it? Is the Anova worth the pain of returning & ziplocking?

EDIT: I'm thinking yes but I hate to return an xmas present without a really good reason and I would like the internet to validate my feelings, please.
Return it. Get the Anova. If I had an AquaChef and I had to pay $120 to turn it into an Anova I would. This is because I know that the Anova works. Don't buy products that have not been highly rated, it is a huge waste of time and money.

Every time you look at your AquaChef you will probably wish that you'd exchanged it for an Anova (or a similarly highly-rated device). This will last for years until you finally want to get rid of it and at that point it won't be worth anything...

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 29, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
AquaChef only works with 1 gallon, which is fine if it's the only size you'll work with. Anova works with 1 gallon too! But also with 2, and 3 and 4, etc.

That alone would make me return and get an Anova.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
All right, feelings validated. Back it goes in exchange for an Anova! Thanks, goons.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Successfully svizzled tonight for the family, using the Anova I got for Christmas. Cooked four ribeyes to medium-rare at 134F, and seared them in a cast iron pan with a knob of butter and its pan juices. The pan juices congealed with the butter, so I may not do that again, but...

You ever have food that's just so good that you can't stop talking about how good it is, even if you're just repeating the same thing over and over every few minutes? That's what these steaks did. Everybody at the table couldn't shut up, from the first cut to show them cooked perfectly the entire way through, to the last bite. I'd even forgotten to put salt and pepper on them until I was done searing and they were still phenomenal. I've never had a steak so elementally steak-y. I almost regretted not cooking a fifth just so I could scarf down another.

My dad, who's one of those dads who can grill like a son of a bitch and knows it, was initially flabbergasted at the concept of cooking a steak for an hour. He admitted he was expecting a mushy, overboiled texture, but one bite made him an instant convert. When I suggested we grill-sear them next time, he immediately said he didn't see anything that needed fixing (but was still keen on it :v:).

What's next on the stuff-that-melts-your-face-off list of things to svizzle? I'm game for anything but fish, as I'm violently allergic, but I'll happily take fish suggestions for the family as they love fish.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Daeren posted:

Successfully svizzled tonight for the family, using the Anova I got for Christmas. Cooked four ribeyes to medium-rare at 134F, and seared them in a cast iron pan with a knob of butter and its pan juices. The pan juices congealed with the butter, so I may not do that again, but...

You ever have food that's just so good that you can't stop talking about how good it is, even if you're just repeating the same thing over and over every few minutes? That's what these steaks did. Everybody at the table couldn't shut up, from the first cut to show them cooked perfectly the entire way through, to the last bite. I'd even forgotten to put salt and pepper on them until I was done searing and they were still phenomenal. I've never had a steak so elementally steak-y. I almost regretted not cooking a fifth just so I could scarf down another.

My dad, who's one of those dads who can grill like a son of a bitch and knows it, was initially flabbergasted at the concept of cooking a steak for an hour. He admitted he was expecting a mushy, overboiled texture, but one bite made him an instant convert. When I suggested we grill-sear them next time, he immediately said he didn't see anything that needed fixing (but was still keen on it :v:).

What's next on the stuff-that-melts-your-face-off list of things to svizzle? I'm game for anything but fish, as I'm violently allergic, but I'll happily take fish suggestions for the family as they love fish.

48-72 hour short ribs or do some thick pork chops. Kenji at Serious Eats has been doing a lot of SV lately and you can go to his website for tons of awesome ideas.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Jeez, it's raining Anovas in here

Try pork chops or turkey? Never complain about dry, tough pork or turkey ever again. I made sous-vide turchetta for Christmas and Thanksgiving, and my family was amazed at how juicy the turkey was.

Or if you want to wait 2-3 days for something meatier, try the short rib thing

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 1, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've been reading this thread since day one, but I'm at a loss for what the consensus on bone-in short ribs are. 48 or 72 hours and what temp? Got some vacuum sealed and ready to put in the bath, just need to know if I do it today or tomorrow.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Split into two bags. Try half at 48 hours and the rest at 72

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I haven't seen any good comments on a 72 hour timespan. I do see a general consensus of 'mush' at that point in time, though. Whipped through this entire thread in about four days, loving love this forum.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I haven't done 48 but I did 72 @ 62 C, seared, rubbed with garlic and pepper, and then double-bagged. I loved 'em. They were falling off the bone tender but not mush. They tasted amazing, like the best pot roast I ever imagined, but not dry the way pot roast gets. I just need to make sure to get less fatty short ribs next time.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I am really enjoying the Anova. So far I've done some scotch fillet and eye fillet @ 134 finished off in the cast iron, chicken breast with fresh sage leaves and garlic @ 140 for 3 hours before browning in butter with the garlic, and duck breast @ 140 for 3 hours.

If I get a small cheap boneless pork butt roast, and if I can get it to fit in a foodsaver bag, any suggestions for svizzling it? Suggestions for temps, times and what I could do with it welcome. Wondering if I could make the ultimate pulled pork.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

d3rt posted:

I am really enjoying the Anova. So far I've done some scotch fillet and eye fillet @ 134 finished off in the cast iron, chicken breast with fresh sage leaves and garlic @ 140 for 3 hours before browning in butter with the garlic, and duck breast @ 140 for 3 hours.

If I get a small cheap boneless pork butt roast, and if I can get it to fit in a foodsaver bag, any suggestions for svizzling it? Suggestions for temps, times and what I could do with it welcome. Wondering if I could make the ultimate pulled pork.

I'd be interested in this as well. Pork butt roast is one thing I can consistently afford

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Paradox Personified posted:

I haven't seen any good comments on a 72 hour timespan.

72 short ribs at 130F is my religion. They are fall apart fork tender, and not in a mushy way. I tend to notice that people getting bad results are going higher than 130F.

1stunna
Nov 22, 2002
1stunna is the greatest human being, ever. Fuck Jesus. -Love DPPH

nwin posted:

I've been reading this thread since day one, but I'm at a loss for what the consensus on bone-in short ribs are. 48 or 72 hours and what temp? Got some vacuum sealed and ready to put in the bath, just need to know if I do it today or tomorrow.

http://www.chefsteps.com/classes/sous-vide-cooking#/short-ribs-time-and-temp gives a visual rundown of different temps/times.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
Hmm, the Anova was removed from Amazon? It's like $15 to ship from their site.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
When you guys are doing steaks in the puddle then searing them afterward, if you're aiming for an internal target temp of 135, wouldn't it be wise to sous-vide them to 130 and then sear? Surely the internal temp would raise at least a few degrees with the quick finishing sear, no?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

VERTiG0 posted:

When you guys are doing steaks in the puddle then searing them afterward, if you're aiming for an internal target temp of 135, wouldn't it be wise to sous-vide them to 130 and then sear? Surely the internal temp would raise at least a few degrees with the quick finishing sear, no?

If you dry the steak very well and sear it in an extremely hot pan with lots of oil, then only the area immediately next to the outside of the steak will have time to overcook.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the grey layer near the outside ends up being just a couple millimeters thick after a good 30 second sear. That's part of the goal. I tried torch searing last night and it made an even smaller grey zone, though it was more time consuming than the pan method.

I only tried the torch because my wife complained that there was a flavor to the crust of a grilled steak that I wasn't getting via pan searing. A basic torch sear was only a hair better, according to her review. Personally I am a weirdo freak person who hates that taste and avoids grilled food whenever possible, so I'm a little fuzzy on the nuances here, but does the Goon gestalt think that more torching might get it closer, or is there a flavor profile unique to grilling a steak over coal?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you dry the steak very well and sear it in an extremely hot pan with lots of oil, then only the area immediately next to the outside of the steak will have time to overcook.

When you're searing the steak do you really need to use oil/fat of some sort? Won't the steak naturally release once the crust has formed even on a dry (and/or seasoned cast iron) pan? I mean I know fat is flavor and all of that, I'm just curious.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
In my experience the oil helps act as a heat transfer medium, ensuring a more even sear.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cooking newbie question, but can someone explain the best way to get really hot oil in a really hot pan? And how hot are we talking?

Reason I asked is because once I tried that with an all clad pan. Got it on about 7/10 heat and let it preheat for about 3-5 minutes. Put canola oil in-instant smoke followed by fire.

Now, I know that canola has a relatively low smoke point, so are you guys using rapeseed oil for steak or just not getting it as hot? Since that incident, I use a cast iron pan which takes longer to heat, and sometimes I use oil, but put it in only a minute after I've started warming the pan, so that I can see the oil just as it's beginning to smoke, so I can throw the steaks in right after.

Help me not burn my house down!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
If you have a range that will get your pan super duper hot (600+ F) you don't use oil, otherwise oil.

At least that's my opinion from now owning a good range.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Related question - after I seared my steaks last night, I deglazed with a little red wine, then added butter, broth, and meat juices to try to make a pan sauce. When I deglazed, the fond was coming up in big flakes. I made some other mistakes in the ratios of what I added and came away with a pale sauce with big flakes of fond floating in it. Did I screw up when I used my metal spatula to scrub the fond off, or are there other factors that determine how it behaves?

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Assuming this means meat juices from your sous vide bag, I always get this problem too. Stick to just using the fond from the pan.

I know nothing of the science behind it so I'm pulling this out of my rear end, but I suspect that proteins in the liquid are solidifying and since they're in a liquid they'll get that steamed meat texture instead of the nice browned flavors that temps above 212°F can bring.