Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Roguelikes are a bit too niche to attract the budget that 'real' graphics would demand. There are games with roguelike elements that look good technically, but I can't think of any remotely 'pure' roguelikes with hidef graphics and animation if that's what you're looking for.

Looking for a roguelike to push your machine is a bit like looking for turn based strategy games for your hit of adrenaline.

And yeah, play Brogue :v: It's the prettiest looking text game out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even things like Diablo 3 go for accessibility rather than :rice:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Brogue is muddy and over-busy and as far as I can tell most of the color variation doesn't provide any useful gameplay information. I have no idea why it's so universally praised for its look. It's like Dwarf Fortress in pastels.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Crawl also stands out for having a really fleshed out UI and set of tiles and was more or less the juggernaut of artistic roguelikes for a while.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Brogue is muddy and over-busy and as far as I can tell most of the color variation doesn't provide any useful gameplay information. I have no idea why it's so universally praised for its look. It's like Dwarf Fortress in pastels.

It's mostly the lighting and sometimes the gasses.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Tried Broque for a bit and died :hfive:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Spacedad posted:

Tried Broque for a bit and died :hfive:

Sounds like you played a roguelike. :hfive:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ToME is also worth a mention if you're just in general looking for more to play. This may or may not be influenced by me picking it up recently.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Spacedad posted:

-What people think are the most graphically impressive roguelikes or roguelites

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

Err'body posted:

brougebrougebrougebrouge

The game's not out yet but I think Dungeonmans might be approaching Brogue levels of graphical fidelity.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

dmans is a good game anyway, it's gonna be pretty awesome when all the new sprite art goes in :v:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I bought the indie royal bundle and there seems to be a couple decent roguelikes in here, but what's the deal with one way heroics? You guys have been talking about it a lot but what kind of roguelike is it similar to? Something like crawl or dredmor or what?

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
As anyone had any problems running dungeonmans ?
I have been playing for 2 days with no problem, but today when i tried starting the game it wont start and gives me an error feedback window.
I've tried re-installing the XNA thing and downloading the previous version of dungeonmans but it wont start.

I need my dungeonmans fix !

Anyone knows if the game saves anything outside of the game dir ? (maybe a corrupt save or something like that)

VVV thanks for the help and yeah that was me, i've sent an email.

Micr0chiP fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 29, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still think it's absolutely criminal that Spelunky doesn't have online multiplayer.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Micr0chiP posted:

As anyone had any problems running dungeonmans ?
I have been playing for 2 days with no problem, but today when i tried starting the game it wont start and gives me an error feedback window.
I've tried re-installing the XNA thing and downloading the previous version of dungeonmans but it wont start.

I need my dungeonmans fix !

Anyone knows if the game saves anything outside of the game dir ? (maybe a corrupt save or something like that)

I think you're the guy who just posted on the Dungeonmans FB page. I also just got a crash recently where the error message was in Portuguese, maybe that was you? Either way, write to me jim@dungeonmans.com and I'll try and help you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I still think it's absolutely criminal that Spelunky doesn't have online multiplayer.

Man, imagine the screams about lag-induced deaths. The game's hard enough as it is!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bob NewSCART posted:

I bought the indie royal bundle and there seems to be a couple decent roguelikes in here, but what's the deal with one way heroics? You guys have been talking about it a lot but what kind of roguelike is it similar to? Something like crawl or dredmor or what?
It is a side-scroller where game over is always a couple dozen turns away.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Oh man, anyone who enjoys Binding of Isaac will probably enjoy Nuclear Throne on Steam. It's early access right now but it's pretty drat fleshed out and they release updates about every week. It's a bit more focused on action than BoI is, but the formula is similar.

It is really fun but definitely brutal, I made a thread for it if anyone is interested.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like the variety of the color dithering on normal tiles but hate the way liquids constantly redraw. The only time it really bothers me is when there is a bog cloud overlapping lava and it get hard to tell the difference.

But I suppose you can always turn the color effects off.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
DoomRL is roguelike with the fanciest graphics that don't make it harder or more obnoxious to play like some others (e.g. Dungeons of Dredmore). I always imagine how could would it be if someone made a rougelike with proper high budget graphics but then, after playing some attempts at making a roguelike with graphics, I realized that it probably wouldn't work anyway. I'm more than ready to be proven wrong, though ;)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diablo 3 is about the closest thing to a big budget roguelike there will ever be and it's so far removed at this point that some of you probably think I'm joking.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Looking for several different types of roguelike/rogulite games in the follow categories:

-What people think are the most graphically impressive roguelikes or roguelites

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

-The best coop roguelikes or roguelites people enjoy playing with friends

-Same question as above, but more 'party game' ish for local coop

Nice looking/beautiful/etc:
Dungeons of Dredmor. -Pretty nice animations, also diggles are pretty cute.
Nuclear Throne. -Good pixelly explosions and death.
Risk of Rain. -Levels are fantastic and the music is amazing.
Occult Chronicles. -Nice card art.
FTL. - Nice scifi aesthetic

Co-op:
Risk of Rain
Spelunky (Local)
Zafehouse Diaries. Local Maybe? If you add your faces into the game and they try to decide between you or something?

Can't really think of that many MP roguelikes/lites.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hamachi is a thing.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

ToME is also worth a mention if you're just in general looking for more to play. This may or may not be influenced by me picking it up recently.

Ugh no. I'd rather play with ASCII graphics than TOME tiles, and I always play roguelikes with tiles. TOME is ugly as hell.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eschatos posted:

Ugh no. I'd rather play with ASCII graphics than TOME tiles, and I always play roguelikes with tiles. TOME is ugly as hell.

Believe me, even though I don't mind the tiles the game has I wasn't recommending it for the graphics at all. Just as a neat alternative.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I don't get the complaints about ToME's original tilest, I don't mind it at all. I can't stand the oldrpg tileset on the other hand. Opinions!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Eschatos posted:

Hamachi is a thing.
Spelunky on PC has local multi only. Unless my GOG version is even more crippled than I thought, this is also true with the Steam version.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Any word on when crypt of the necrodancer is coming out? I remember it exists every once and awhile and get filled with hope that it's already out but no luck yet. :(

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Absolutely none, and if you're not some streaming rear end in a top hat with a fanbase/at one of the shows where it goes every other month with a DDR pad, good luck playing it anytime soon.

I'm totally not getting spiteful that I preordered day one and the only thing the dev ever talks about is whichever idiot he gave a build to this week and where their twitch.tv channel is, no siree.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

omeg posted:

I don't get the complaints about ToME's original tilest, I don't mind it at all. I can't stand the oldrpg tileset on the other hand. Opinions!

The main thing that bugs me is that when a monster is one square north of a wall or tree, the health bar gets hidden. I guess this is partially a UI thing.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bob NewSCART posted:

Uh.. both?

Why not play it and see what it is?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

uPen posted:

Any word on when crypt of the necrodancer is coming out? I remember it exists every once and awhile and get filled with hope that it's already out but no luck yet. :(

Their twitter says no concrete release date yet as of the 23rd of december.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

omeg posted:

I'm not a fan of either. The original tileset is good from an illustration standpoint, but the amount of detail crammed into the tiles is absurd. You generally want "iconic" graphics that makes quick enemy differentiation feasible. Crawl's tileset is a perfect example of quick differentiation, it does this by using the same pose within a class of enemies but differentiates them with very distinct and contrasting palettes. See for example Crawl's orcs:

Versus some ToMe's orcs (there's about 4 times as many orc tiles as Crawl):

There's a great deal more detail in ToMe, but it hurts rather then helps the greater priority of easing identification. Almost none of the orcs have the same pose, and differentiating them requires a close look at details since the task is not facilitated by distinct colors or other contrasting features. ToMe also has what I think too many enemy types but that's another issue. The Oldrpg tileset probably helps with identification with its clear art style, but it looks childish as hell.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

I'm not a fan of either. The original tileset is good from an illustration standpoint, but the amount of detail crammed into the tiles is absurd. You generally want "iconic" graphics that makes quick enemy differentiation feasible. Crawl's tileset is a perfect example of quick differentiation, it does this by using the same pose within a class of enemies but differentiates them with very distinct and contrasting palettes. See for example Crawl's orcs:

Versus some ToMe's orcs (there's about 4 times as many orc tiles as Crawl):

There's a great deal more detail in ToMe, but it hurts rather then helps the greater priority of easing identification. Almost none of the orcs have the same pose, and differentiating them requires a close look at details since the task is not facilitated by distinct colors or other contrasting features. ToMe also has what I think too many enemy types but that's another issue. The Oldrpg tileset probably helps with identification with its clear art style, but it looks childish as hell.

I think the silhouettes in the ToMe art really helps, the enemies are pretty clearly defined, no? I mean, quick, which one of those Crawl orcs has a bow? Which one is fast and probably gets two attacks in a round? That's what I was shooting for in the Dungeonmans orc set:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

the enemies are pretty clearly defined, no?

The problem with the Tome tiles is that they only work close-up as in that post. If you want to see anything of the dungeon around you (and you need to if you don't want to get alpha-striked a lot) you're going to need to zoom out, which typically will quarter their area.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

I think the silhouettes in the ToMe art really helps, the enemies are pretty clearly defined, no? I mean, quick, which one of those Crawl orcs has a bow? Which one is fast and probably gets two attacks in a round? That's what I was shooting for in the Dungeonmans orc set:

None of those crawl orcs has a bow because all those crawl orcs are unarmed except for the wizard and sorceror probably showing the wrong weapon.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

madjackmcmad posted:

The Crawl orcs do have sprites to show their weapon.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The only way to go above and beyond on the Graphical Roguelike front if you absolutely must on a PC would be firing up an emu from the PS2 and up generations and busting out a 3D Mystery Dungeon game like the Shiren on Wii or Druaga on the PS2.

Thus far, there have been no commercial or freeware attempts on that stylistic level native to the PC---but as with most things, I want to think advancements will be had on that front same as all others.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
So I probably never would have picked up One Way Heroics if not for the bundle. Man that really bums me out because this game is fantastic.

I hate for this to become an echo chamber, but if you haven't played this game yet you are doing yourself a disservice. It's just so good. I do think I need to move to a higher difficulty though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, Crawl sprites actually show like every detail you would need to know. Like the player sprite they're literally just paper dolls that the weapons get layered onto depending on what they have. Also, little symbols show up denoting whether they're under the effects of visible buffs or not. Crawl has a really good tileset and it's one of the few where you can actually get more info upfront than you would playing with ASCII.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

As everyone else has said crawl tells you what type of weapons they are wielding in tiles and tells you when they have switched to a ranged weapon.
I think one of the main problems is that they don't really tell you when that orc warlord (the big beefy red orc) is has quivered a tomahawk (this is actually probably an obsolete complaint since throwing random poo poo just got nerfed) and is about to bean you in the head with it for 50 damage or if hes wearing some GDA or some really good plate mail or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ToME also has the issue of slicing through wide swathes of chaff enemies until you bump into something that'll blow off half your HP bar in one turn because it's 15 levels above you (which is somehow 'balance' apparently because it's rare except not really) so while having a really muddy tileset doesn't actively hinder the game it doesn't do anything to help the player know just what the gently caress is going on half the time. I think the only orc tiles that don't show you what they're holding in Crawl are the high priests and...maybe sorcerors? I forget. They're basically units where you're not going to be worrying about their equipment over their magic, anyways.