Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913_in_anime

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

"1910 in anime posted:

While no Japanese animation is known to have been produced before 1917, the first foreign film shown in Japan is a contentious subject amongst scholars of anime.

scholars of anime

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

scholars of anime

mods,

please don't.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3.com#History

Mp3.com ultimately became a historically significant URL for indie artists, who in the site's heyday provided most of the content there. From its beginning to when Vivendi took over and eventually evicted the indies, it was a once ever mecca for unsigned bands and solo acts. Now that pie is divided up into many other varieties of music sites but for over 3 years, pretty much every artist who had music on MP3 files could be found in the same place and had the web address https://www.mp3.com/name-of-act. The nature of the situation was a chemical reaction; all these musicians and songwriters who had for years harbored dreams of stardom without any outlet for their music gathered in one place and expressed themselves quite colorfully in words and pictures on the site's legendary forum.

For a time it looked like this continent of new artists would indeed change the music business but several factors came about to stall the momentum of mp3.com. The pay-for-play experiment that rewarded artists monetarily for their downloads was sabotaged by the artists themselves. Honest acts were robbed of their intended share by enterprising gamers who exploited the system with programmed play bots and download gangs (posses) who would play long songlists often with the volume turned down to run up artificial numbers that equated into big bucks. Mp3.com tried and threw numerous cheaters off the site but they could not control the gaming due to having a product that was not tactile. Also, Napster became more and more popular and since free songfiles of name artists started to "become available", a fair amount of the mp3.com audience migrated there.

Still, for those artists who were present, nothing has ever matched the original mp3.com for that initial explosion of creativity (with many talents who could hold their own in the mainstream), and that world within a world of intense public scandals, raw emotion, and virtual stardom.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

"Please point to where on the belt the bad man touched you..."

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3.com#History

Mp3.com ultimately became a historically significant URL for indie artists, who in the site's heyday provided most of the content there. From its beginning to when Vivendi took over and eventually evicted the indies, it was a once ever mecca for unsigned bands and solo acts. Now that pie is divided up into many other varieties of music sites but for over 3 years, pretty much every artist who had music on MP3 files could be found in the same place and had the web address https://www.mp3.com/name-of-act. The nature of the situation was a chemical reaction; all these musicians and songwriters who had for years harbored dreams of stardom without any outlet for their music gathered in one place and expressed themselves quite colorfully in words and pictures on the site's legendary forum.

For a time it looked like this continent of new artists would indeed change the music business but several factors came about to stall the momentum of mp3.com. The pay-for-play experiment that rewarded artists monetarily for their downloads was sabotaged by the artists themselves. Honest acts were robbed of their intended share by enterprising gamers who exploited the system with programmed play bots and download gangs (posses) who would play long songlists often with the volume turned down to run up artificial numbers that equated into big bucks. Mp3.com tried and threw numerous cheaters off the site but they could not control the gaming due to having a product that was not tactile. Also, Napster became more and more popular and since free songfiles of name artists started to "become available", a fair amount of the mp3.com audience migrated there.

Still, for those artists who were present, nothing has ever matched the original mp3.com for that initial explosion of creativity (with many talents who could hold their own in the mainstream), and that world within a world of intense public scandals, raw emotion, and virtual stardom.

mp3.com owned so hard for finding smalltime artists

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

While recording their first album in a castle, Butler read an occult book and woke up to a dark figure at the end of his bed.[citation needed]

probably true but it's still funy wikipedia

well known story but "my stoner friends" don't cut it for a [citation] so

sounds like classic sleep paralysis symptoms

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Base Emitter posted:

sounds like classic sleep paralysis symptoms

please tell me yospos isn't like gibbis where any thread is guaranteed to be derailed for five pages as soon as someone mentions sleep paralysis

nobody has ever given a gently caress about someone else's sleep paralysis story. ever.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

The Brain Is Weird and hosed Up

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

please tell me yospos isn't like gibbis where any thread is guaranteed to be derailed for five pages as soon as someone mentions sleep paralysis

nobody has ever given a gently caress about someone else's sleep paralysis story. ever.

sleep paralysis stories are like people telling you about their dreams except theres even less chance of it being funny

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Lancaster High School is located in Lancaster County in the Northern Neck of Virginia. The school is the only high school in the division and has a student population of 387. It has a faculty of 37 teachers, 1 librarian, 1 administrative assistant, and 1 principal.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A conference in the UK (Boring 2012) included ASMR videos on its list of topics of discussion.

need to find a way to include that cite in the next paper i write

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Exploding Head Syndrome

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

asperger

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i hate this

"autonomous sensory merirdasdn rnsr gently caress it is an invented word for "that tingly feeling you get when you see something cool in a movie or hear really good music" but now "lifehackers" and "psychonauts" and other pseudoscience idiots have to make like it's some amazing new discovery so they can feel validated about watching youtubes of fat women whispering to their food

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Symbolic Butt posted:

iirc he didn't like Who Framed Roger Rabbit either but his reasons were mostly technical (the animation looked bad or something) instead of sperging about the story

the animation on who framed roger rabbit is some of the best ever so no, that wasn't the issue

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i hate this

"autonomous sensory merirdasdn rnsr gently caress it is an invented word for "that tingly feeling you get when you see something cool in a movie or hear really good music" but now "lifehackers" and "psychonauts" and other pseudoscience idiots have to make like it's some amazing new discovery so they can feel validated about watching youtubes of fat women whispering to their food

except they also constantly distinguish it from frisson so idk

The Brain is Wierd and hosed Up

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

The Brain is Wierd and hosed Up

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i hate this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oapgiZc5i-g

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

tyvm, i did not know there was a name for this. asmr sounded like the "really good music pseudo-orgasm" thing but asmr videos make me ridiculously, hilariously irritated for no reason

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Blackula69 posted:

the animation on who framed roger rabbit is some of the best ever so no, that wasn't the issue

yeah that's why it stuck in my mind. roger rabbit's animation director wrote that kickass animation book, he seems like a dude who knows his poo poo and he obviously took his job seriously with roger rabbit

and then chuck jones just comes and says "nah this is bad and wrong"

it seriously saddens me to see people who are genius like chuck jones and john k being so narrow-minded like this

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I just wrote a thesis about Richard Williams so I'm officially an expert. holy poo poo animation people are spergy

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Yuichiro "Jienotsu" Nagashima (長島☆自演乙☆雄一郎 Nagashima Jien'otsu Yūichirō?, born July 2, 1984) is a Japanese welterweight kickboxer, and a cosplayer, fighting out of Nishinomiya, Hyogo, currently competing at K-1. His rank is 2nd dan black belt in Nippon Kempo.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
if you overdose on heroin the pinpoint pupils are what'll put you in a coma :rolleye:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
As his name indicates, he was blond. The Noldor were dark-haired, so this must mean he was related somehow to the Vanyar, Eldar who were blond. His blond hair is considered a mark of his distinction.

Blond hair was also found in the Noldor royal family (House of Finwë), among the descendants of Indis of the Vanyar, second wife of their High King Finwë — namely in the Golden House of Finarfin, his third son, which included Galadriel, who appears in The Lord of the Rings. Both the Vanyar and the Noldor kindreds lived in the fair city of Tirion upon the hill of Túna in Valinor for a time, and in other parts of the royal family tree it has been shown that other Vanyar married in, so it is conceivable that the two groups mingled in more than just the royal line.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Linguists disagree about how a simple Sindarin plural would be formed.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Soricidus posted:

Linguists disagree about how a simple Sindarin plural would be formed.

Writing system
Tengwar (mainly), Cirth

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
academic linguists should all be shot

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
what if theyre cunning?!??!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

The Brain Is Wierd and hosed Up: i used to feel nauseous after drinks with some artificial sweeteners, so i just sort of stopped, figuring it was some odd body thing. then just today i devoured a whole pack of gum. same sweeteners. no issues. obv. my brain thinks lovely tasting drinks aren't good for me, which is just as well, because they do taste lovely.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

scholars of anime

lmao at this whole page: Anime and Manga Research Circle

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Anime and Manga Research Circlejerk posted:

Our goal is to build and maintain a diverse community of scholars engaged in the academic study of anime and manga, their associated (sub)cultures worldwide, and (tangentially) Japanese popular culture in general.

I am a social scientist specializing in otaku studies.

I'm an assistant professor at the University of California, Irvine. My research centers on the literacy and social practices of English language learners writing in online environments. Specifically, I have been interested in anime-based fanfiction.

I'm probably in this group because I am producer / director etc of Otakumentary a "Trekkies" type documentary about North American Anime fans. This would be my area of expertise, even though I know a lot about anime etc as well. Otakumentary is on the backburner until I get my life in order.

My name is Pierre De Jaeger and I work with the Brussels based organisation Constant, focusing mainly on technology, gender and copyright issues (http://www.constantvzw.com) I'm particulary interested in science-fiction and manga and how they can relate to these topics.

My thesis is on Internet Yaoi Fan fiction.

My research interest is currently in the English-language "boy's love" manga's online fan community, and I'm planning to launch a web-based survey as soon as our Institutional Review Board gives me a thumbs-up.

The theme for my tesina is, you guess it, Otaku subculture. And so I'm trying to evidence the existence of such subculture here in the little island where I live, Puerto Rico (located in the Caribbean between Cuba and the Virgin Islands).

My research focuses on approaching postmodernity by means of Japanese anime, and hope to shift such marginalized subject matter into academia.

I am currently conducting an ongoing investigation into the legal aspects of anime; in relation to Intellectual Property rights, the war on fansubbers, the constitutionality of UNICEF of Japan influencing the Japanese government on the appearance of under age anime characters in anime and the hentai sub genre, and also the rise of what I call "Manga Murders" and "fandom" related crimes.
:frogsiren:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
that was all from different people but gently caress attributing all of those quotes

also one of them's named rebecca black :laugh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
petition to rename the pyf awkward and ugly thread to "otaku studies"

i'd have my minors :barf:

whoa no joke just caught a whiff of double entendre there but i'm going to leave it

wasn't intentional

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
My thesis is on Internet Yaoi Fan fiction.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

the constitutionality of UNICEF of Japan influencing the Japanese government on the appearance of under age anime characters in anime and the hentai sub genre, and also the rise of what I call "Manga Murders" and "fandom" related crimes.

the right of the people to bear pedo anime shall not be infringed upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
are they suggesting that because unicef is funded by the un, which is funded by the members, they shouldn't be able to lobby governments? i guess i could see some kind of logic there, maybe :shrug: