Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
I've looked over CC a couple times now and am not finding a lot of stuff on Flash, the Creative Resources thread had a lot of good After Effects tutorials but not much for Flash etc. Can anyone point me toward a thread I might have missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

God Over Djinn posted:

Is it inherently offensive for me (a white person) to write a story where the narrator speaks in AAVE? Or just if it's inaccurate/over the top 'Law' sakes I gotta get me some co'nbread' poo poo? As a linguist I think I can do a reasonably accurate toned-down AAVE that comes through in writing, but I don't know if it'd be offensive just on principle.

In my opinion, the most appropriate way to handle this is by pointing out that the character speaks in some particular way, and then write normal dialog. I'm not really concerned about it being racist, I just know that it is annoying as hell when authors try to embellish speech by making it harder to read the dialog.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

Humboldt squid posted:

I wouldn't say inherently but it could very, very easily be construed as a racist mockery if not handled absolutely perfectly. Honestly I wouldn't do it.

Welp, I tried. We'll see what Thunderdome thinks of it.

Corla Plankun posted:

In my opinion, the most appropriate way to handle this is by pointing out that the character speaks in some particular way, and then write normal dialog. I'm not really concerned about it being racist, I just know that it is annoying as hell when authors try to embellish speech by making it harder to read the dialog.

Narrator, not just a character, unfortunately, although that's a good way of handling a character who speaks a nonstandard dialect, now that I think about it.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Has anyone here used Manga Studio? If so is it worth it? I'm planning on starting up a potentially lengthy comic series and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to try a tool specifically designed for the job as opposed to my standard tool (GIMP).

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

RabidGolfCart posted:

Has anyone here used Manga Studio? If so is it worth it? I'm planning on starting up a potentially lengthy comic series and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to try a tool specifically designed for the job as opposed to my standard tool (GIMP).

I'm not very experienced, fact is I've only had 2 days so far to mess around with Manga Studio 4 EX, but I can give you my opinion! I haven't used it to color anything, so I can only speak for the lineart tools.

What I like about it over Photoshop (which I still use to color) is that the lines feel a lot more natural. I could never get the hang of inking in Photoshop, it always looked unconfident and messy. I have quite shaky tablet hands, and there are settings in Manga Studio where you can put how much correction you want on a line. Far and away that is the biggest thing that has helped me, and I actually enjoy drawing digitally now that I can draw a bit slower but still get a really clean line.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Mondlicht posted:

I'm not very experienced, fact is I've only had 2 days so far to mess around with Manga Studio 4 EX, but I can give you my opinion! I haven't used it to color anything, so I can only speak for the lineart tools.

What I like about it over Photoshop (which I still use to color) is that the lines feel a lot more natural. I could never get the hang of inking in Photoshop, it always looked unconfident and messy. I have quite shaky tablet hands, and there are settings in Manga Studio where you can put how much correction you want on a line. Far and away that is the biggest thing that has helped me, and I actually enjoy drawing digitally now that I can draw a bit slower but still get a really clean line.

Neat, so it does have line correction, that's something I liked about using Flash for my lineart back in the day.
At the moment it's going to be primarily black and white with with only a few coloured in pages, so when I get to that part I may just use GIMP.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
You might want to try FireAlpaca. It's free and has line correction.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I'm wracking my brain trying to remember where I saw a figure drawing tutorial about an alternative to the standard cube/wedge shapes for the two main masses of the body and instead substituting what I believe the person called, hilariously enough, "vest and underwear shapes". I remember at the time it was a huge revelation for me despite not being much different from the norm, but I never really sat down with it and I guess never bookmarked it or wrote down where I saw it.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
If there are any printmakers in this thread, does anyone know if Z*Acryl is effectively gone now that the owner died? It seems like the hard ground emulsion is sold out everywhere. The official website, which I tried to order through, probably just paid into the deceased's account and is sitting somewhere in digital limbo.

I'm really bummed if so. My wife loves the product and we need some quick.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Two questions:

1) Do we have a trad games making thread? I'd be looking for any suggestions on a print shop for a card game I made.
2) I would like to hire an artist for the cards in the game, and am looking to get an idea how to figure out an offer. Obviously it will vary per artist, but any idea of how fair compensation is typically structured in this situation (per card, per hour, etc.) would be helpful. If it's relevant, I'm not looking for detailed realism - simple or cartoon styles.

Thanks goons.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Does anyone have good practice methods for pencil-drawing hands and feet? I've been Liefielding pretty hard lately and it sucks. Drawing my left hand is a bit boring and limited, and it's difficult to keep a consistent pose while I sketch it out.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

BlueDestiny posted:

Does anyone have good practice methods for pencil-drawing hands and feet? I've been Liefielding pretty hard lately and it sucks. Drawing my left hand is a bit boring and limited, and it's difficult to keep a consistent pose while I sketch it out.
Draw from photos and/or ask your friends to model for you. The first isn't ideal but I guess you can memorise lots of different positions that hands could be expected to be in (waving, holding pens, etc.) and just use them as needed if you're a comic artist, which I'm guessing that you are. That said, drawing from life is the best because all the little twitches and shifts in position force you to figure out the muscle and bone structure of the hand rather than just memorising poses as collections of line; plus you'll eventually get really fast and accurate at sketching, which is one of the most useful skills you can have!

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

BlueDestiny posted:

Does anyone have good practice methods for pencil-drawing hands and feet?

Study some anatomy books as well. Learn standard proportions like your middle finger tip to your knuckles is the same length as the palm of your hand from knuckle to wrist, your thumb ends a little bit longer than your knuckles, etc.

Do a google search for anatomy reference and you'll find tons of helpful stuff.

And as mentioned before, studying from life is extremely helpful. You can take photos of your hands or use a mirror.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Regarding painting glass: What type of paint do I need to buy to so it still stays clear?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Any Canadians know of a good place to buy art supplies online? I have a feeling I'd be better off buying locally at the university or maybe Artists Emporium if I need something right away, but it would be nice to know who has good prices and selection so I can stock up.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Has anyone here ever applied for an artist residency before? Any comments on the process?

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
I have more of a dumb request than a dumb question. I'm trying to get a big panoramic print made of a movie still, but I can't find a high resolution screenshot of the scene in question anywhere online. I was wondering if someone could help me out, it's probably easy to do but I'm an idiot. I'd be willing to buy a forums upgrade to whoever can help me out! Thanks.

edit: there's also some funky file type and size requirements so I'm guessing this is probably a job for somebody with some photoshop skills.

roymorrison fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 27, 2013

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
How big of a panorama? I wouldn't expect to find anything better than 1920x1080, which isn't going to print particularly well if you blow it up to be 5' wide.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Actually I managed to find the screencap in question and you're right, I won't be able to scale it up. Thanks anyways!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

So I've been thinking about doing commissions but I don't really know how to do that thing. I was wondering if someone had a guide (or just general advice) or something that they could link me.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I'm not sure which forum's general megathread to start with here, but does anyone have any ideas for preserving old newspapers? I have a newspaper that's 45+ years old that's got my grandfather on the front page and of course being cheap newsprint paper, its yellow as hell and coming apart along the folds, and I'd like to keep it from disintegrating completely and maybe be able to display it. Any thoughts (or redirects to a better thread) appreciated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to just laminate it?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Humboldt squid posted:

So I've been thinking about doing commissions but I don't really know how to do that thing. I was wondering if someone had a guide (or just general advice) or something that they could link me.

I don't have advice for the getting of commissions part (are there freelancer websites for such things like they have for writing?) but I highly suggest you read The Business of Art thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468091

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to just laminate it?

That's one possibility, I was worried about continued deterioration of the paper, though. If there's special acid free paper for "archival" use I would assume normal paper isn't normally good for that...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Base Emitter posted:

That's one possibility, I was worried about continued deterioration of the paper, though. If there's special acid free paper for "archival" use I would assume normal paper isn't normally good for that...

Yeah, there's archival paper, there's normal paper, and then there's newsprint. At the very least you'll need to keep from moving it, give it some UV protection, and maybe mount it on something (that IS archival). But if you really want to preserve it you'll probably want to find a pro to check it out.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
Is it possible to use india ink on primed canvas? I don't have much experience with canvas and a friend of mine bought me a giant one for a commissioned painting he wants me to do, so I don't want to test it on this particular canvas and also don't have any other canvases lying around, unfortunately.. tried Google but couldn't really find a conclusive answer. Thanks!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So what sites do people use for their portfolios? I'm looking for something simple. I don't mind Cargo, but I'm curious what else is out there.

I do have my own domain + hosting, so I could do something myself. I'm just a print designer, so I don't really want to create a portfolio site from scratch. I could deal with a template I could edit though, I do know some HTML + CSS

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

triplexpac posted:

So what sites do people use for their portfolios? I'm looking for something simple. I don't mind Cargo, but I'm curious what else is out there.

I do have my own domain + hosting, so I could do something myself. I'm just a print designer, so I don't really want to create a portfolio site from scratch. I could deal with a template I could edit though, I do know some HTML + CSS

I have my own domain + hosting with wordpress installed. You can customize the templates fairly easily and whatnot. Here's my site if you want to take a look: http://www.levigilbert.com

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

As someone who views a lot of portfolios, you're honestly better off with something like Cargo unless you can make a really awesome and usable site. Cargo portfolios are generally pretty easy to navigate, but often when print designers make their own website they do themselves a huge disservice. You don't want a potential employer to be annoyed while viewing your work!

If you do a WordPress install (which also isn't a bad idea), try to find a theme other than Reflex, because probably 70% of applicants use it and it's tired.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I think I've sent you my site before; custom theme on a Wordpress install for ease of use / plugins.

This post popped up recently for good alternative WP themes.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In my experience, when I'm hiring a designer, I don't really care about the design of their site. I'm just looking to get to their portfolio and see examples as quickly as possible. If I was job hunting I would probably just flesh out a behance profile and send that with my resume.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

The Dave posted:

In my experience, when I'm hiring a designer, I don't really care about the design of their site. I'm just looking to get to their portfolio and see examples as quickly as possible. If I was job hunting I would probably just flesh out a behance profile and send that with my resume.

Yeah I'm the same way when hiring illustrators... nothing drives me crazier than a website that is overly complicated or doesn't work.

So yeah I was debating between Cargo, Behance, stuff like that... just figured I'd ask here before dropping the money.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Going to disagree here, but only for designers, and only really for web designers specifically. Your portfolio site says just as much about your professional capabilities as the examples of work. I've seen a lot of cases of people working in teams where their site design, coding, and wayfinding obviously communicated weren't doing as much heavy lifting as others.

Illustrators, etc. yeah, definitely a different story. Show me your work as quickly and with as little fuss as possible, then make it incredibly easy for me to contact you.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it's a web designer and they're expected to code I'm okay with seeing projects they've been working and talking to them about their role in that project, I don't need to see it on their portfolio. Don't get me wrong though, if they create a gorgeous portfolio it can easily sway me, but more often the opposite has happened.

Regardless when we interview creatives we give them a white paper assignment and weight that significantly more than anything else because it gives us the best idea of their skills with both design and communication / collaboration.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Going off the topic of portfolios... does anyone know how a tshirt like this is printed?

I thought shirts had to be vector, I've always wondered how you do something with a photo.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Going off the topic of portfolios... does anyone know how a tshirt like this is printed?

I thought shirts had to be vector, I've always wondered how you do something with a photo.

Screen printing. You can get pretty fine screens (like, almost equivalent to offset printing) and reproduce photographic detail.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I am having a gallery show in a few days and I'm showing a video I made in iMovie 10.0.1. I have no real experience with video, this being my first shot at it. The problem I'm having is the video itself (which is compromised of photo montages) is in 16:10. When I output the file it changes to 16:9 leaving me ugly bars on the side.

The reason this is a problem is I'm showing the video on an iPad. The result is a video that is surrounded by a lot of dead space. I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the aspect ratio in iMovie. Any suggestions?

edit: apparently the answer is Final Cut Pro

GoodApollo fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 11, 2014

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I need help with pricing my art. Several people have been asking me lately about buying my pieces, usually about 18"x24" on average, watercolour and ink on watercolour paper, unframed. Example below of something I have two people already asking to buy...but I'm always so scared I'll either low ball myself or say a price and get a "that's too expensive!". I sell a lot of art in the summer, particularly at one event but those are smaller pieces and it's usually a "eh, how about $30?". I guess I don't have the confidence to price work and I'm scared people will feel like the price I do say is too much. Do you all have some system you go by?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Toriori posted:

I need help with pricing my art. Several people have been asking me lately about buying my pieces, usually about 18"x24" on average, watercolour and ink on watercolour paper, unframed. Example below of something I have two people already asking to buy...but I'm always so scared I'll either low ball myself or say a price and get a "that's too expensive!". I sell a lot of art in the summer, particularly at one event but those are smaller pieces and it's usually a "eh, how about $30?". I guess I don't have the confidence to price work and I'm scared people will feel like the price I do say is too much. Do you all have some system you go by?

I don't paint, so I can't give you advice from that end, but I'd say start by figuring out roughly how long you spent on the piece and how much your materials cost. How much is that time, thought & materials worth to you?

That being said, personally I don't think I'd spend too much on unframed watercolour pieces, as opposed to a similar piece that would be done on canvas in a way that I could display it more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Speaking of which is there not a general watercolor thread? Just started getting into it and looking for some general advice and feedback