Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
So cheez is some high effort troll and this 4chan-speak "Anandtech's Watercooling God err Mod." aigomorla douche is in on it, right

or is that board just one of those moderation-endorsed crazyhouses where the inmates run the place?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how while most audio nutjobs insist on using only the finest audio test discs for their videos, this one instead decides to go for Paul Abdul. On loop.

Only the finest $60k power cables to enhance the vocal stylings of MC Skat Kat I guess.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Nostrum posted:

Are you content living your life, believing that $10k power cables is all there is?

Or do you want to take the red pill, and see how deep the rabbit hole goes?

Holy gently caress:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2332488
"My Bathtub Water Cooling System Project for Audio System"

Just read that thread. It's not too long, and just mindbogglingly amazing.

Please note that he believes this to be the most cost-effective solution, since he is "broke" after spending SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS on power cables for his ~$800 speaker setup hooked up to a near-worthless (at this point due to the age of the componenets) HTPC.
For what it's worth, between that and his thread about power cables, and the community's reaction to him, I believe this guy's just trolling.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So somehow the video played fine via my YouTube app on my phone, but the comments got mixed up with something else.

I think it may be Cuntry Boner by Puscifer.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

For what it's worth, between that and his thread about power cables, and the community's reaction to him, I believe this guy's just trolling.

Those little roman pillars everywhere were hilarious.

Also, using tap water for water cooling is a big nono. He went out of his way to just be ridiculous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just scored a NAD C320BEE and an older Vector Research VA-1450 power amp off some dude for ~$100, because the guys at his local hi-fi store convinced him that he needed a bigger amp to power his Cerwin Vega floorstanders in his tiny living room. If neither a C320BEE (2x50W RMS) nor a VA-1450 (2x75W RMS) can meet your demands in that sort of setup, you're probably stone drat deaf already, you really hate your neighbors, or you have some ridiculously inefficient speakers.

NADs like this one usually go for at least twice that around here, especially in this good a condition. Only thing missing are preamp to power amp jumpers, but he agreed to a reduced price because of it. I honestly don't think he even considered just putting an ordinary signal cable on there, for some odd reason :confused:

Vector Research is not a brand I've heard of before, but the amp is seriously heavy for a 2x75W unit, which I take as a good sign. From what I can read online, it's supposedly a copy (or rebrand) of a contemporary (late 80s/early 90s) NAD power amp. It certainly seems like a quality item.

From looking at everything, I think the guy bought into a bunch of audiophoolery, courtesy of the local hi-fi store. He had really expensive-looking speaker cables and interconnects, but apparently he didn't know even the most basic things about how integrated amps can have separate preamp and power amp circuits. I dunno, it just seemed odd to me, but I'm certainly not going to complain. That NAD will replace my old Pioneer amp just fine, and the Vector will be useful in bridged mono for a passive sub.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 22, 2013

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
My first "proper" amp was a C320 and it lasted me about 10 years before one channel needed to be kicked in by cranking the volume. Apparently this was common and had an easy fix. Really like the build quality on NAD stuff.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I really like the build quality and the no-nonsense looks. There are no flowery descriptions of various features emblazoned on the front with cursive gold lettering, no weirdly-shaped plastic or unnecessarily-bright blue LEDs, just a clean and simple straight-forward layout that'll still look unobtrusive in your living room 10 years from now. Stereos really should be heard, not seen.

Contrast this with my Pioneer CD player, which proudly boasts "Legato Link Conversion". What does that even do? Who cares?

From what my dad tells me (he's worked with electronics for ~40 years), NAD's PCB layouts are easy to follow as well. Everything is built using discrete components and laid out sensibly, so it should be possible to fix if anything ever goes wrong.

E: On the other hand, some of the cheesy stuff is so over-the-top that it loops around and becomes even more awesome. Especially vintage hifi components like the Marantz 2500 reciever, which had a drat oscilloscope built into it, for some reason. And wood paneling.

27kg. $1600 in 1977. 250 very real watts per channel. One hell of a beast.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 22, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I really like the build quality and the no-nonsense looks. There are no flowery descriptions of various features emblazoned on the front with cursive gold lettering, no weirdly-shaped plastic or unnecessarily-bright blue LEDs, just a clean and simple straight-forward layout that'll still look unobtrusive in your living room 10 years from now. Stereos really should be heard, not seen.

Contrast this with my Pioneer CD player, which proudly boasts "Legato Link Conversion". What does that even do? Who cares?

From what my dad tells me (he's worked with electronics for ~40 years), NAD's PCB layouts are easy to follow as well. Everything is built using discrete components and laid out sensibly, so it should be possible to fix if anything ever goes wrong.

E: On the other hand, some of the cheesy stuff is so over-the-top that it loops around and becomes even more awesome. Especially vintage hifi components like the Marantz 2500 reciever, which had a drat oscilloscope built into it, for some reason. And wood paneling.

I REALLY want that receiver for my living room (the room is mid century modern, and it would fit perfectly), but the only one on ebay is $2400 BIN. :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KozmoNaut posted:

Of you don't want an oscilloscope on your receiver, you're dead inside.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

I REALLY want that receiver for my living room (the room is mid century modern, and it would fit perfectly), but the only one on ebay is $2400 BIN. :(

There's one for sale locally for ~$1650. Still quite a lot, but definitely more reasonable.

I just found out that it actually had a bigger brother, the 2600. 2x300W in your living room, the second-most powerful receiver of the "monster receiver" era in the late 70s. Sansui made one that was 2x330W :monocle:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 23, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

That is beautiful.

And this is mental... http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/12/21/heres-why-you-should-convert-your-music-to-432hz/

quote:

We all hold a certain vibrational frequency, not to mention our bodies are estimated to be about 70% water… so we can probably expect that musical frequencies can alter our own vibrational state. Some may call this ‘pseudoscience,’ however the science and patterns shown above don’t lie. Every expression through sound, emotion or thought holds a specific frequency which influences everything around it—much like a single drop of water can create a larger ripple effect in a puddle.

432 Hz is said to be mathematically consistent with the patterns of the universe. Studies reveal that 432hz tuning vibrates with the universe’s golden mean PHI and unifies the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with biology, the DNA code and consciousness. When our atoms and DNA start to resonate in harmony with the spiraling pattern of nature, our sense of connection to nature is magnified.

:stare:

I WILL KILL YOU

quote:

“Music based on C=128hz (C note in concert A=432hz) will support humanity on its way towards spiritual freedom. The inner ear of the human being is built on C=128 hz” – Rudolph Steiner

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 23, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh that 432hz crap again. I'd say synthesizers kind of disproved that one.

Of course, this is the most insane version of it I've seen.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Anything that Rudolph Steiner was involved in is automatically horseshit. Seriously, google him.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That 440Hz image is clearly displaying harmonically pleasing hexagonal resonance, see crystals above. Meanwhile the 432Hz image looks like a Terminator's eye, and those will kill you. QED I think

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I have a friend who is a relatively successful producer (electronic rather than band) who is totally sold on this emotional frequency stuff and has actually been using it as the basis of his music for some time. I've agreed to stop arguing if he'd stop trying to ask me to let him practice his sonic vibrational therapy on me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That doesn't even make sense. Most synthesizer setups have no oscillator running at the base frequency to begin with (because tweaking the things usually ends up in turning all knobs), often even with LFOs and envelopes tweaking pitch, too. And the relative relationship between notes is always the same, whether A is 440hz or 432hz.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I recently replaced my amplifier and decided I wanted something nicer-looking than the low table it currently shares with my PC. The PC's case will be replaced with a more hifi-looking unit as well, so I wanted something that could hold both the amp and the PC.

Naturally, my first though was to build a Lack Rack. For those not already in the know, IKEA's Lack side tables are ridiculously cheap at less than $10 for the smallest 55x55cm one in black, and they happen to fit most hifi equipment and 19" rack hardware perfectly. So naturally, people have been hacking them up, stacking them and building decent-looking hifi furniture for very little money for a while now.

So far so good, and while I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do, I wanted to get some more inspiration, courtesy of Google.

Initial findings weren't too bad, plenty of interesting ideas. Then I found a couple of sites that claimed great benefits from using a Lack table as a turntable stand, because of the lightweight paper core construction that supposedly cancels out vibration really well. Well OK, that's not completely unrealistic, right? Perhaps there's some truth to it, and loud bass can definitely cause the needle to jump out of the groove.

Then it got worse.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/hacking-the-ikea-lack-table.266708/

quote:

It's pretty much ideal for my Sondek. And most electronics.

I heard the demonstrations Linn and Naim used to do with a system on one stand and a system distributed around individual stands. Do this before you start on your cables, if you have the room.

quote:

They can be close enough, in a line, or as convenient. Try different components on the table if you have to stack them or use fewer stands. Cables should hang free in the air if possible. For me, it was definitely turntable first and the second, surprisingly, was the heavy power amp. I was happy setting the pre on top of the power, selecting the side for least noise. Power amp on the floor, under the Lack, not as good.

quote:

I've tried the Lack as a base for various components and I just don't like the sound. Less bass. Esp with a cd player. Maybe there's a way to improve the Lack for audio components, but I've not read the all the links above.

On one hand, it's complete and utter audiophoolery. On the other, it's just a $10 side table, not a $5000 power cable.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 27, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Most websites don't document very well that they changed the design a while back so only the top one or two inches of the leg is now solid wood where it attaches to the table top. It's a shame because I have some rack equipment that needs a home and I am also a cheapskate. You only really have :10bux: to lose by trying I suppose.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I know the legs are mostly hollow now, I'll probably just work around that by gluing some wood inside the legs where the screws are going to go.

Incidentally, a 1.75" square dowel is supposedly a perfect fit.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 27, 2013

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I built an AV rack and speaker stands out of a couple of Lack tables and angles to hold them together, bottom table is network and power, middle is receiver and top is laptop and soon a PS4. Pretty much a perfect fit for any reasonable piece of 19" AV equipment.
All the wires are routed on the back of the legs with sticky tape cable-tie holders, it's pretty bachelor but I like it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Now it's my turn to hit the sighted listening test and placebo effect pitfalls.

Since replacing my 35wpc Pioneer amp with a 50wpc NAD amp, I could swear my speakers have gained approximately a shitton of bass response. Before, I was considering adding a sub to my system, now I'm wondering why that thought even crossed my mind. I've double-checked everything, EQ in my player is off and the tone controls on the amp are defeated (and have always been defeated on every amp I've owned)

I know NAD amps have loads of headroom built into them, but additional headroom in an amp can't possibly have that much of an effect at normal listening volumes, can it? :confused:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 29, 2013

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do a double-blind test between the two components.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
If the old amplifier had a low damping factor (i.e. high output impedance) then you may have improved the linearity of the system by changing to a better amplifier.
I wouldn't do a double blind test since they're a pain to set up, but I'd use my acoustical calibration app on the phone and a measurement mic to check if the two amplifiers produce different acoustical outputs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The old amp is a relatively decent Pioneer from the mid-90s, I can't imagine they'd have screwed up the design that much. Sure, it's likely to happen on a $25 mostly-air plastic job with lights in the speakers, but not on their main separate components stereo line of products. With the CD player and tuner, it was an $1800 stereo back in 1996.

I'm satisfied with just concluding that it's all in my head. If nothing else, I've rediscovered how great my speakers sound :)

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
As already mentioned I'd get an iPhone/android SPL or RTA app and get some data to back it up - there are perfectly passable free options and the fact it's not going to be calibrated won't matter as you're only using for a relative measurement from a to b.

There's a good chance the amps just have different voltage gains and you're putting more watts into the speakers than before. Damping factor is another possibility too, it can vary wildly from
amp to amp even at a level of 'decent'. Also look at what class of amp design they are, your pioneer could say be a cheap class d circuit and the NAD a class a mono block which naturally has a 'warmer' tone with fatter bass.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Neurophonic posted:

Also look at what class of amp design they are, your pioneer could say be a cheap class d circuit and the NAD a class a mono block which naturally has a 'warmer' tone with fatter bass.

That doesn't really make any sense, you're screwing up the terminology. A class D amplifier is isn't inherently worse than a class A amplifier, it's not a ranking system.

A class D amplifier uses pulse width modulation with a really high frequency, so it's 'digital' in a way. It's also a hell of a lot more efficient than an analog amplifier, but it's also very hard to design properly and requires extremely precise component tolerances. Class D amplifiers generally cost more than traditional analog amplifiers, but just like analog class A amplifiers, they avoid the crossover distortion that badly-designed class AB amplifiers suffer from. Class D has a completely different set of issues to work around, though.

Refer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier#Power_amplifier_classes

I know for a fact that the NAD has a class AB power amp just like the Pioneer (and like 99,9% of all audio amplifiers). However, it does have a class A preamp. I have now idea which kind of preamp is in the Pioneer.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 29, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The NAD probably has a superior power cable, resulting in a warmer soundstage.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EL BROMANCE posted:

The NAD probably has a superior power cable, resulting in a warmer soundstage.

It's also silver with black text and green LEDs, and the Pioneer was black with gold text and red LEDs.

Major difference right there.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Or get an SPL meter and put some sine waves through that sucker.

Edit: I should refresh the page before posting. It's probably got more to do with you not listening to the amp before, just the music, but now you've made a change you're really listening hard to see if the sound has changed. Also if the speakers had been connected to the amp for ages you might have got a build up of corrosion at the terminals but I have no idea how much (if any) resistance this would cause.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 29, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I figure it's a great example of how fickle our judgment can be on these kinds of subjects.

Even though I'm fully aware of the placebo effect and the fact that we tend to hear a difference where there is none, my brain is still telling me there's a difference, simply because the new amplifier more more expensive and slightly more powerful, and I *know* it.

I didn't set out to "prove" to myself that it's better than the old one, but unconsciously it's still happening because I spent money and effort swapping it out, so my brain expects a reward of some kind, and makes one up if there isn't one.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

That doesn't really make any sense, you're screwing up the terminology. A class D amplifier is isn't inherently worse than a class A amplifier, it's not a ranking system.

A class D amplifier uses pulse width modulation with a really high frequency, so it's 'digital' in a way. It's also a hell of a lot more efficient than an analog amplifier, but it's also very hard to design properly and requires extremely precise component tolerances. Class D amplifiers generally cost more than traditional analog amplifiers, but just like analog class A amplifiers, they avoid the crossover distortion that badly-designed class AB amplifiers suffer from. Class D has a completely different set of issues to work around, though.

Refer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier#Power_amplifier_classes

I know for a fact that the NAD has a class AB power amp just like the Pioneer (and like 99,9% of all audio amplifiers). However, it does have a class A preamp. I have now idea which kind of preamp is in the Pioneer.

Fully aware what the different topologies refer to. I wasn't saying that the topology itself was directly to blame, but there's no denying that early and some modern, cheaper class D designs sound a bit thin even at a supposedly professional level. A case of bad design implementation rather than the topology itself, sure, but still something to bear in mind when diagnosing a problem/oddity.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Neurophonic posted:

Fully aware what the different topologies refer to. I wasn't saying that the topology itself was directly to blame, but there's no denying that early and some modern, cheaper class D designs sound a bit thin even at a supposedly professional level. A case of bad design implementation rather than the topology itself, sure, but still something to bear in mind when diagnosing a problem/oddity.

Great, we agree completely then.

It's just exceedingly unlikely that any amp that was part of an $1800 stereo in 1996 would be class D, or anything other than class AB, really, which is what tripped me up. I figured that either you missed the "mid-90s" description or you didn't know the different topologies from each other :)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I thought this was a great post from Head-Fi today:

quote:

Originally Posted by earfonia View Post

Do you have both FRD80 and FXD80? Have you used both over a long period of time?

I have FRD80 since December 2012, and 2 units of FXD80 for about 4-5 months. Before I bought FXD80, FRD80 was my daily IEM for about 7 months... I use it daily, so I'm quite familiar with the sound. After I bought FXD80, now it become my daily IEM, I have used it for more than 4 months now.
My FXD80 does sound a bit different than my FRD80. I can tell which one is which blindly. Not only me, I also ask my friend who is a sound engineer, he also can tell the difference. The FRD80 is a bit (A BIT) more V shape compared to the FXD80.

But not only FXD80 sounds a little different than FRD80. So far I've tested 4 units of FXD80, when my friends asked me to help them to buy it from Amazon, and let me tested it. All the 4 units of FXD80 also have slight differences in sounds signature... manufacturing inconsistency ? Maybe. So maybe it is not about FRD and FXD, maybe it is just manufacturing of the drivers. I test them together with my friend, and he also confirm that he heard differences between the FXD80s. Anyway, there is no guarantee that same drivers all sound the same, there is manufacturing tolerance that makes them sounds a bit different. I also experienced it with my UE TF10 compared to my brother UE TF10, a slight different that trained audiophile ears can detect. The differences is just a little, but discernible.

I would say don't worry too much with the differences, it's just a little. If you need microphone, get the FRD80. If you don't need the microphone, get the FXD80.

PS: He's talking about the FRD80 and FXD80, headphones from JVC that differ only in that one has a microphone, and one doesn't. Same driver, same housing, same impedance, same sensitivty, etc. But hey, apparently "trained audiophile ears" can hear differences that don't exist.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

grack posted:

PS: He's talking about the FRD80 and FXD80, headphones from JVC that differ only in that one has a microphone, and one doesn't. Same driver, same housing, same impedance, same sensitivty, etc. But hey, apparently "trained audiophile ears" can hear differences that don't exist.

Honestly though I have had one of those mini TRS jacks with the mic ring be hosed up but it was more like "one ear can't hear poo poo," than ~VEILED SOUNDSTAGE~

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

grack posted:

Ignoring the audiophile ears bullshit, his conclusion that tolerances in manufacturing may account for minor changes in sound is pretty rational. Of course the same can also be said of his tiredness, wax buildup, background noise, etc etc, so it's hardly empirical, but still a lot more reasonable than most.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Neurophonic posted:

Ignoring the audiophile ears bullshit, his conclusion that tolerances in manufacturing may account for minor changes in sound is pretty rational. Of course the same can also be said of his tiredness, wax buildup, background noise, etc etc, so it's hardly empirical, but still a lot more reasonable than most.

Oh, I understand that but the "trained audiophile ears" and "my friend is totally a sound engineer and he agrees with me" were more than enough for me to ignore whatever remotely rational poo poo he posted.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well now, this is something neat. A fully open-source USB DAC: http://www.qnktc.com/i02.php

Shame about the audiophoolery, though.

quote:

This is what people say about its sound character:

“It sounds annoyingly close to my own reference converter in my Bladelius Embla player” - Watt Magazine
“Far more airy, dissolved, detailed and three-dimensional in 24/192 Flac than the regular CD.” - Egil Erlandsen OAS
“Wav files into 96kHz from Blue Coast Records impressed with very natural sound.” - Egil Erlandsen OAS
“I am surprised how well it plays right out of the box. Much too close to my approximately 30 times as expensive CD player.” - DIY Audio forum member

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My tosspiece of a housemate will be pulling his tiny little cock over that thing then. He loves to talk for hours about poo poo that doesn't make any loving difference to sound, saying he's going to do this, this and this with a dozen separate amplifiers and amp stages, it'll do this thing which is amazing and it'll be the best thing ever...

...and then never does anything about it. It's pretty annoying. The most hilarious part of it all being he made some speakers and they sound so loving weak it's unreal. Like you could buy a pair of $50 garage sale speakers and they'd sound better than these things he spent weeks and hundreds putting together. They're not even remotely accurate but because he assembled them they're the best thing ever. He likes to ignore the fact I've got $$$$s worth of custom PA kit with a stack of RTA/EQ equipment sat around and so know what a pair of flat speakers sounds like.

Audiophools are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And it's like $170 and only has a USB connection.

The FiiO D3 I'm using right now admittedly doesn't have USB, but it has toslink and coax SPDIF, which are offered by basically every onboard sound card since the first Pentium 4. It's $32 on Amazon right now.

I have to applaud them for going the open source hardware route, that's pretty cool and I think more products should be like that, but does it have to be so overpriced and do they have to sell it using audiophool wankery?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 13, 2014