Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

It is easiest to get on mumble, we are all drunk and on drugs at all times.

We also role play Dads trying to live a post apocalyptic life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Maybe someone who knows the game a bit should whip up a primer for the OP, for those of us who play solo or with non-goons. Stuff like "how do I survive my first night" or "why should I pick up all this junk lying around".

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
This game uses so much memory it's ridiculous. They should really work on that before adding more features. It's barely playable for me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Really if you want to survive the first night, loot as much as you can around your initial spawn point. Knock a tree down, turn the trunk pieces into sticks like so:

Trunks->Wood Planks->Plywood->Sticks

Then find as much scrap metal as you can. Places like Gravetown (Southwest corner of the map) have buildings with lots of metal railings that can be broken down into scrap metal, and stuff like Car Air Filters, Candy Tin Cans, and Hubcaps can also be turned into scrap. With that you can make Iron Ingots with 3 Scrap Metal making 1 Ingot. Once you get at least 5 Iron Ingots in your inventory, you can then make a pickaxe with 3 Sticks and 4 Iron Ingots. If you have extra Ingots left over you can make another one, or make a Fire Axe as well. Those two tools are pretty useful tools for digging and chopping down trees for more building materials.

After that you can easily dig a foxhole to spend the night in and wait out the hordes until morning.

Basically, try to have these items on you or near a storage chest at all times:
-Pickaxe
-Fire Axe
-Iron Ingots
-Sticks
-Water (If you have empty Glass Jars, head to a water source, stand in it, and right click. Your jars will turn into bottled water)
-Food

A few useful Recipes:
-Storage Chest: 6x Plywood
-Pickaxe: 4x Iron Ingot + 3x Stick
-Fire Axe: 3x Iron Ingot + 2x Stick

I'll try to add more later on.

Also: ANYTHING IN YOUR HOTBAR (1-9 keys) WILL DROP IF YOU ARE KILLED. IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO DIE OR IF YOU'RE GOING TO SUICIDE TO SPAWN SOMEWHERE ELSE, MAKE SURE YOU MOVE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR HOTBAR TO YOUR INVENTORY.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

You can also fill empty glass jars with water from toilets! Just right-click the toilet when you're holding a stack and it'll fill all five.

If you're building with plywood planks or non-cube blocks, left click will rotate them around.

Drinking water will restore stamina, even if your thirst meter is full. Good for long sprints or continuous digging.

A crossbow is very useful for taking out stray zombies (and quietly killing players). You can make one with sticks and plant fiber (punch grass>>put grass item on craft table==plant fiber).

Crossbow bolts are made with feathers (bird nests and zombies), sticks, and small rocks (pick up a rock off the ground, turn it into a rock block, then turn the rock block into small rocks).

You can see the shape each crafting recipe will take by clicking its name in the "i" screen. If the name is green you've made it before and it will automatically set up the ingredients for you. If it's white, you can craft it but you'll have to figure out the arrangement manually. If it's not in the list you can't make it with your current items.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Rather then hitting trees with your bare fists, just hit shrubs, they drop sticks as well, and it takes less time.

Also, with regards to the losing things on your hotbar, be careful about putting ammunition on your hotbar. To reload, you need to have both your gun and your ammo on your hotbar, then press R. Just make sure you don't have all your ammo on your hotbar, just enough to work with (unless you enjoy giving all your ammo to the jerk who shot you)

Edit: Also, for a quick and renewable melee weapons, make clubs. A wooden club requires 6 sticks, and a spiked club 4 sticks and 4 scrap metal. They do a lot of damage to both zombies and players, and you can carry a pile of sticks and craft more clubs as needed (you can do the same with crossbows, as well)

Renditious fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 30, 2013

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Do they have an eta on when this game will get into the beta phase? What else do they have left to add besides polishing?

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent

BlueDestiny posted:

You can also fill empty glass jars with water from toilets! Just right-click the toilet when you're holding a stack and it'll fill all five.

If you're building with plywood planks or non-cube blocks, left click will rotate them around.

Drinking water will restore stamina, even if your thirst meter is full. Good for long sprints or continuous digging.

A crossbow is very useful for taking out stray zombies (and quietly killing players). You can make one with sticks and plant fiber (punch grass>>put grass item on craft table==plant fiber).

Crossbow bolts are made with feathers (bird nests and zombies), sticks, and small rocks (pick up a rock off the ground, turn it into a rock block, then turn the rock block into small rocks).

You can see the shape each crafting recipe will take by clicking its name in the "i" screen. If the name is green you've made it before and it will automatically set up the ingredients for you. If it's white, you can craft it but you'll have to figure out the arrangement manually. If it's not in the list you can't make it with your current items.

Becoming Vasily Zaytsev with a crossbow in Gravetown is probably my favourite thing to do, since there are almost always a few people holed up in there and crossbows + bolts are the perfect guerrilla sniping weapon.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Another important tip: You can repair a busted weapon by putting it into the crafting box with a duplicate. So you could repair a pistol with another pistol, club with a club, etc. If you find a bunch of cruddy guns it's a good idea to smush em together since low condition severely reduces damage.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Want to make sure you get the most out of your tools? Watch their durability- when they get to half (typically 150/300), shelf them until your next one gets to half, then glue them together- now rather than crawling through the 100s and 50s of durability when your tool is blunt and garbage, you can keep your tools fast and strong, at no net durability loss!

Durabilities add to each other- 100+100=200, etc.

The same is generally true of weapons, except shotguns that can one-hit most zombies even almost broken (and it may be better to hold the extra shotgun in your inventory in case you die)

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I had no idea you could fill glasses from the toilet!

Then again, why can't you simply drink from the toilet and refill your meter, fallout style?

"I'm not drinking that, I don't have a glass. It may be the apocalypse, but we're not animals".

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Philosopher King posted:

Do they have an eta on when this game will get into the beta phase? What else do they have left to add besides polishing?

A LOT judging by the promises on kickstarter. Just think about the work needed to include NPCs and neutral towns. There are also supposed to be cyborg raiders who are endgame style bad guys.

EDIT Here is a link to the kickstarter to increase your unreasonable expectations http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/7daystodie/7-days-to-die-zombie-survival-game

xutech fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 30, 2013

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

xutech posted:

A LOT judging by the promises on kickstarter. Just think about the work needed to include NPCs and neutral towns. There are also supposed to be cyborg raiders who are endgame style bad guys.

I am cumming

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Wait, does that mean we may be able to tech tree all the way up to cyborg implants? :suspense:

Is there seriously no deus ex smilie?

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.
The most important things to build.

TNT Gun Powder x1 Plant Fibers x 1 Paper x5. Best of all you can lay it down and punch if you don't have a gun.

Tin Land Mine Candy Tin Can x1 Gun powder x1 Scrap Metal x1. You can lay down sleeping bags that pubs will spawn at it. Lay these babies next to the bags and get ready for tears.

Gun Powder Potassium Nitrate Powder x1 Lump of Coal x1. This stuff is easy to come by. Simply use other post tips for getting easy wood and iron. Make yourself a pickaxe go find yourself some dirt and start digging.

Now to fully enjoy yourself look for servers that are filled with people and start blowing stuff up. Watch the tears from people playing in an alpha.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
There's not nearly enough goon love for the crossbow. It's incredibly easy to make (sticks and plant fiber) and the the ammo is also very easy to deal with (feathers, sticks and small rocks). A headshot is enough to kill most zombies or even players with a single bolt. I've been pretty successful sniping pubbies with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I never seem to find pubbies to snipe.

Also, the increasing amount of hacking and duping bugs is a bit unfortunate.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Thinking about getting this game, I can't wait to join the Goons in eating cornbread, jerking off in the basement, and sniping pubbies. In true goon fashion :patriot:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Wrong thread. This game, I bought and gave up the second time the tree I punched killed me.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

Wrong thread. This game, I bought and gave up the second time the tree I punched killed me.

Ok

E: you edited too fast!

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

ZombieLenin posted:

gave up the second time the tree I punched killed me.

Stop punching trees.

Punch bushes instead! :eng101:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Back away from trees after you're done punching them? That happened to me exactly once.

On the other hand, those scrapyards (like in the desert), apparently are held up by load-bearing air ducts. Climb onto the roof and get to the truss things, punch/sledge the air duct, most of the roof comes down. Collapsing poo poo in this game is fun!

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 30, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone else gotten this? Whenever I join a server at 0 pop, anyone else who joins the server after me spawns right on me. I could be deep underground, running around or whatever, they spawn right on me and it annoys me no end. What's the deal?

So far my answer seems to be 'it's an alpha' but I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else. Sometimes people will spawn on me for no reason at all; I've stopped using sleeping bags entirely.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

We've noticed that new people to the server will sometimes spawn on the biggest collection of players. Its quite stupid and annoying and we haven't found much of a way to deal with it besides knock out the floor below where the person spawns and/or just kill them until they run off or quit or change spawns.

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
Discovering how to duplicate items conveniently really balances the whole 'spawn on other players' bug. We got a group of 6-8 goons and did a coordinated search of Gravetown for rocket tubes and rockets on co-op servers with player location displayed on the maps. Once we got them, we'd spend 10 minutes on top of one of the buildings duping hundreds and hundreds of each and preparing for our assaults. Then, we'd find where the pubbies were and surround their compound and all at once fire entire hotbars of rockets into their bases, utterly destroying everything. We must have done it ten times in an hour and a half. Unbelievable - there is nothing like massed rocket fire to collapse buildings.

Also does anyone have screenshots of that base we destroyed with oil barrels on very edge of the map? That was incredible too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I got one, but it was taken after we'd collapsed the center tower.

Also bonus weirdness from another server:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Another cool thing. You can craft both shotgun shells, and Sawed Off Shotguns! Once you have a nice collection of Lead/Buckshot, Gunpowder, and Paper, grab 1x Iron Ingot, 1x Wood Plank, and 1x Spring to craft a fully functional Sawn-off Shotty. You can find springs by destroying beds, and the rest of the crap is really easy to come by. Craft a shitload of them so you can keep yourself repaired at all times.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ZombieLenin posted:

Don't stand underneath falling trees. Just like in real life, they'll crush you if you don't move the gently caress out of the way. :science:

Also, the server encountered a glitch and crashed earlier tonight. Just woke up and noticed it. Should be back up now. I installed a back-up system via a special server launcher for the game, so if it was messed up just let me know and i'll roll things back to the last back up.

Edit:

xutech posted:

Also the end game plans for development are batshit insane. The fact that they're this far into development five releases in is insane too. The game sounds like it'll be some sort of insane mix of that Cataclysm Roguelike, Fallout, Minecraft, and a zombie apocalypse sim when it's done.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 30, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I got one, but it was taken after we'd collapsed the center tower.

Also bonus weirdness from another server:

I think there may have been some dragon ball z fights on that server.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

randombattle posted:

I think there may have been some dragon ball z fights on that server.

Looks like they carved out a huge channel to hold off the zombie hordes? Like some sort of hosed up border patrol style project.

That's one way to do it, I guess. :stare:

Edit: Alternatively, they forgot to turn off the console and some dipshit made a ton of explosives to carve out a channel that necessitates building a sturdy bridge to explore other areas of the world.

Also, I just added a basic F.A.Q. to the OP. If you want anything else added to it let me know.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 30, 2013

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Sounds fun. If I'm in the server, expect to see me sporting a name similar to my forums name, unless it's friday. Probably not, but you forget things when you drink. :v:

Is corn as magical as blueberries? Food plus hydration?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mistle posted:

Sounds fun. If I'm in the server, expect to see me sporting a name similar to my forums name, unless it's friday. Probably not, but you forget things when you drink. :v:

Is corn as magical as blueberries? Food plus hydration?

CornBREAD is. And you can combine it with blueberries to make the ultimate food, blueberry pie.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
If, for example, you wanted to destroy a pubby fortification and had tunneled from your hideout to underneath theirs, what would be the best way to go about this? Shitloads of tnt one layer below? Also, Uuuggghhh is my server name if any goons want to join. Just mention you're a goon so that I don't attack if you venture into my underground layer. It was crashing quite a bit the past few days but I'm hoping that switching to the 64 bit version may solve this. I think it was hitting the 32 bit ram ceiling for an app and crashing.

Also, my contribution to newb hints is that if you don't want people spawning in your hideout and potentially stealing your poo poo, keep bed/sleeping bags out and don't build or mine out areas more than 2 blocks high. At least, these have been my observations on spawn points. Anytime I've mined out a room with a ceiling height of 3 or more blocks, I would get people randomly spawning there when they joined the server.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Archonex posted:

Don't stand underneath falling trees. Just like in real life, they'll crush you if you don't move the gently caress out of the way. :science:

Yes, my introduction to the game last night was "Oh, I see, I punch this rock and I get 'earth', hmm, I will keep punching and see what haaAAAAAAAA IM BEING SWALLOWED BY THE GROUND". I'm pretty sure I got taken out by some foliage at some point as well.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
A tree that's about to fall will make a loud creaking noise, even if it doesn't look like it's broken, if it makes the noise, back up, and it'll all fall down harmlessly.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
This game just isn't fun on anything but small servers with friends due to rampant duping.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Do zombies take fall damage? I'm thinking of making trap pits.

Also, log cabins have some sort of neat foundation made up of smaller stones. Is there any way to craft that?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Do zombies take fall damage? I'm thinking of making trap pits.

Also, log cabins have some sort of neat foundation made up of smaller stones. Is there any way to craft that?

I'm not sure what you mean precisely, but that might be cobblestone. It is just 4 stone in a square in the grid.

And Yes I think they do, but I'm not completely sure. They might have just hit some spikes I didn't see, but they APPEARED to have fallen to their doom before.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

This game just isn't fun on anything but small servers with friends due to rampant duping.

This occurs because people hosting are stupid and leave the console option on in the config files, from what I can tell.

Coincidentally, after seeing how much damage it can do, I turned it off on my server and use a remote connection to the game to handle admin stuff. We haven't had any problems with people spawning in massive item stashes since then.

Basically it's the same problems Minecraft can have. Hosting on a super-powerful machine doesn't do any good if your server settings are poo poo, letting people go all Avolition on the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Archonex posted:

This occurs because people hosting are stupid and leave the console option on in the config files, from what I can tell.

Coincidentally, after seeing how much damage it can do, I turned it off on my server and use a remote connection to the game to handle admin stuff. We haven't had any problems with people spawning in massive item stashes since then.

Basically it's the same problems Minecraft can have. Hosting on a super-powerful machine doesn't do any good if your server settings are poo poo, letting people go all Avolition on the thing.

Your server was the one massive duping was happening on...