Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inspector_666 posted:

Dogecoin should not just be allowed, it should be encouraged.

Such acceptable use policies

Very electricity bill

Many McAfee install bundles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The way McAfee products are these days, I'm half expecting them to include a clandestine bitcoin miner in one of their future updates.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

rolleyes posted:

The way McAfee products are these days, I'm half expecting them to include a clandestine bitcoin miner in one of their future updates.

I had this exact same thought.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gotta stay profitable somehow, and with the miner maxing your available resources, malware can't run.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

but usually the antivirus itself would do that. how can all three coexist?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Stealthgerbil posted:

but usually the antivirus itself would do that. how can all three coexist?

Get rid of the antivirus part, just prevent users from doing anything yourself like malware does and mine. Problem solved.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

hirvox posted:

For most of this week, we've been going through the WSDLs for the customer's SAP. There are only three data types: Strings, decimals and bytes. And to submit changes, you first need to request the entire data structure. Why? Because when you submit it back, anything that is missing is deleted from SAP. And the kicker? The system has no conflict detection and does not use any kind of locking. :v:

Oh well. At least my vacation starts today. I have more than enough opportunities to worry more about it in two weeks.

This. Exactly this.

I'm currently integrating something like this at work, the SOAP endpoint appears to be VB.net based (gently caress yeah!?) and it also has no locking and concurrency.
And even worse, there can be at any time, three different sets of data, all of which has to be manually verified and merged by some poor sod working in the donations department - did I mention that they probably paid a company a fuckton of money to produce this? And no it's not SAP, but it's just as bad:

User1 on website
User1 on SOAP relay (wtf?)
User1 on main DB

There's not even a simple way of telling the web application (how else do you call a shitload of PHP scripts) that things have changed on the Main DB or SOAP relay. And if you didn't get what I meant by SOAP relay, they have a public facing database and internal database, all changes from the public and internal databases are somehow merged between once every hour and a day. I believe their current setup is 4 hours?

Another glorious thing is that each data type, that's date, string, int, etc has differing definitions of null (or xsi:nil if you're that way inclined).
I can't remember the exact values, but I'll give you an example - these values are valid via SOAP too!

date: 4th of July 2002, 02:04:05
int: -0.0000003213123123

Oh, and each SOAP request takes 25 seconds, whereas the POST is instant. 'the gently caress?

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe
Sweet jesus. You guys are making VMWare sound like a picnic in the park with pie and a pretty girl.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

You know whats pissing me off? How clients submit tickets.

We have 2 ways. You can type up and submit it yourself through a web app, or call it into the help desk (and the help desk obviously attempts to resolve the issue, pages me out if they cant).

The web app is for low priority issues mostly. It even says on the page, if the issue is high impact CALL IT IN! Otherwise those tickets go to a generalized bucket with an assigned priority of LOW.

The clients keep submitting HIGH IMPACT issues through the LOW priority system, that could also be resolved by the helpdesk, or barring that have me paged out to fix it. Buuuut nooooo, I have to hear you chew me out on Monday about your SERVICE IMPACTING issue that "should have been fixed a day ago" because you're too goddamn lazy to pick up a phone and CALL someone that could have fixed the issue in minutes.

If you have to write "ASAP" in the ticket field, you're submitting it wrong. :argh:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 30, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Snuffman posted:

You know whats pissing me off? How clients submit tickets.

We have 2 ways. You can type up and submit it yourself through a web app, or call it into the help desk (and the help desk obviously attempts to resolve the issue, pages me out if they cant).

The web app is for low priority issues mostly. It even says on the page, if the issue is high impact CALL IT IN! Otherwise those tickets go to a generalized bucket with an assigned priority of LOW.

The clients keep submitting HIGH IMPACT issues through the LOW priority system, that could also be resolved by the helpdesk, or barring that have me paged out to fix it. Buuuut nooooo, I have to hear you chew me out on Monday about your SERVICE IMPACTING issue that "should have been fixed a day ago" because you're too goddamn lazy to pick up a phone and CALL someone that could have fixed the issue in minutes.

If you have to write "ASAP" in the ticket field, you're submitting it wrong. :argh:
Any reason you can't script your system to bump priority on tickets containing words like "urgent" or "ASAP" if you can't add a form field that makes the issue urgent? You've got the holy grail sitting right in front of you -- your users want to use the automated system instead of making someone on the other end of a phone type something in -- and you want the users and your helpdesk to do things the difficult way. What?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Humans can actually determine whether the issue marked URGENT! but involves not knowing how to save files warrants paging someone.

The real solution is to post exaggerated SLAs on the form and state that urgent issues not escalated to phone support may not get the necessary attention, then rub that in the client's face if they try to say that you ignored them.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 30, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Volmarias posted:

The real solution is to post exaggerated SLAs on the form and state that urgent issues not escalated to phone support may not get the necessary attention, then rub that in the client's face if they try to say that you ignored them.
Bureaucracy and CYA is a nice middle finger to people who try to torpedo your career, but it's almost never healthy or the right thing to do for an organization. Use With Caution.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Humans can actually determine whether the issue marked URGENT! but involves not knowing how to save files warrants paging someone.

Which is exactly how the system is now. :)

Generally speaking help desk does grab from the web app bucket, but good god are they slow at it. Hence the low priority warning on the web app. Typically, I look there too for calls, after the stuff that's already directly assigned to my group or I are resolved.

Oh, I agree that to some extent it is the holy grail, except "ASAP" is also usually written into low priority stuff as well. Also, I'm a very low cog in a vastly larger corporate machine, and most of my clients can read and submit tickets properly.

The ones that have tracked down my personal work number, that's an issue unto itself... :(

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
I'm "encouraged" but not "forced" to check my emails during the holidays, so i do in case there´s a problem with the backups or power or cooling and stuff. poo poo here does not run unless you look at it atleast every two-three days.

Of course there's one idiot user (i refuse to call them "customers") that's working on december 30th at 10:30 and he notices that the crm-tab in Outlook isn't working. And since he refuses to have a holiday i am not allowed to either.
This guy knows, KNOWS, that we can't touch his loving computer/citrix-account unless he first starts a teamviewer session and tells us his id/pin, still he usually calls me up and then i have to talk him through how to go to the same loving address he has as a favourite, and hit "run" on the teamview.exe.

I emailed him back and told him to start teamveiwer from the same address, he just now replied "the id is ..... and the code is just four stars so you already know it" (No i don't.).

We're running teamiveiwer in the "free for five minutes" -mode because $reasons$. There is one single user we need to use tv to run, noone else runs dualscreen so citrix loving shadowing won't work.

*** edit

I can also add i hate our Outlook /global AD -password policy that forces us to change password every two months. The instructions we get emailed every 45 days say "press ctrl-alt-del to change pass, unless yuour not on our network then just go to the owa-site".
I've been at _every_ single user and told them "no the first part of the instructions does not apply to us, go to the owa" but still every two months i have to go back to tell them "no you didn't change your outlook password because you didn't do what we did 45 days ago"
Getting this fixed requires me to create a ticket in global it's Footprints, which takes about two minutes per account since it's a really bad implementation of footprints.

Now during this holiday comes another wave of "you need to change your password within 14 days", guess i know what i have to do all day thursday&friday when i start work again.

underlig fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 30, 2013

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

underlig posted:

I'm "encouraged" but not "forced" to check my emails during the holidays, so i do in case there´s a problem with the backups or power or cooling and stuff. poo poo here does not run unless you look at it atleast every two-three days.

Of course there's one idiot user (i refuse to call them "customers") that's working on december 30th at 10:30 and he notices that the crm-tab in Outlook isn't working. And since he refuses to have a holiday i am not allowed to either.
This guy knows, KNOWS, that we can't touch his loving computer/citrix-account unless he first starts a teamviewer session and tells us his id/pin, still he usually calls me up and then i have to talk him through how to go to the same loving address he has as a favourite, and hit "run" on the teamview.exe.

Why did you answer? If someone calls me about work (easy to tell because they all come up as Caller ID Blocked) outside of my work/oncall hours it goes to voicemail and I may listen to the message at a time that suits me. And if I listen to it I may decide to do something about it if it is actually something I should care about.

Stop digging yourself an on call 24/7 hole and start filtering your calls out of hours.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

underlig posted:

I emailed him back and told him to start teamveiwer from the same address, he just now replied "the id is ..... and the code is just four stars so you already know it" (No i don't.).

We're running teamiveiwer in the "free for five minutes" -mode because $reasons$. There is one single user we need to use tv to run, noone else runs dualscreen so citrix loving shadowing won't work.

*** edit

I can also add i hate our Outlook /global AD -password policy that forces us to change password every two months. The instructions we get emailed every 45 days say "press ctrl-alt-del to change pass, unless yuour not on our network then just go to the owa-site".
I've been at _every_ single user and told them "no the first part of the instructions does not apply to us, go to the owa" but still every two months i have to go back to tell them "no you didn't change your outlook password because you didn't do what we did 45 days ago"
Getting this fixed requires me to create a ticket in global it's Footprints, which takes about two minutes per account since it's a really bad implementation of footprints.

Now during this holiday comes another wave of "you need to change your password within 14 days", guess i know what i have to do all day thursday&friday when i start work again.

If you are on vacation, you are on vacation. Your company not having enough people to cover holidays and such is not your problem. Stop making it your problem.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So the PSU died in my monitor. Annoying but not the end of the world as it's external.

I look up the correct replacement (the stock one is known to fail regularly) and order it from a site called replacement-batteries.co.uk who claim to have it in stock and in the UK.

When querying why they haven't sent it, I get a reply in broken English that is using that distinctive font that is always used when the author is using a far eastern character encoding. A week later I get a tracking number that ends in MY.

The supply itself seems genuine, and they've chucked in something vaguely resembling a UK power cable, only the plug is physically too small to fit a fuse (legal requirement in the UK) and the earth pin, which is supposed to be solid metal, is part plastic and snapped when prodded. The reason it's supposed to be solid metal is the earth connectors in the socket are right at the front, with the live and neutral more recessed, causing the earth to always be connected first, but when it's half plastic like this one it means it's never earthed.

Not that it matters because despite this being a 3 pin telefunken cable (laptop cloverleaf type) it only used 2 core cable anyway.

Guess I get to buy a new cable now (the old PSU had a kettle lead instead).

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 30, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Unless I'm missing something their order page is all over pure http (didn't want to put in payment info in case I accidentally bought something but certainly the form you put in the billing address etc is submitted over http) which would have me looking for a different vendor straight off.

Or am I unusually paranoid about that sort of thing?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Unless I'm missing something their order page is all over pure http (didn't want to put in payment info in case I accidentally bought something but certainly the form you put in the billing address etc is submitted over http) which would have me looking for a different vendor straight off.

Their payment is paypal only, so that's ok.

If you can find somewhere else that sells a Li Shin 0227B24130 power supply, I'll bear it in mind for next time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ookiimarukochan posted:

Don't worry about it, your credit card has probably already been stolen at this point.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sure boss, have a meeting to discuss our poor communication skills with clients because we didn't call them back right away when given a note to call them "at some point" despite it being an urgent matter. Don't yell at the guy who wrote the note and omitted that we needed to drop what we were doing to sort it. That makes sense.

Ugh, why did I think IT was a cool, stress free job as a kid?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Yeah, in no way is that BS1363 compliant. Earth pins are never supposed to have insulation, and there has to be 9.5mm between the outside edge of the plug and the pin leg (to stop your fitting fingers behind it). Fuse missing of course you already mentioned.

Whenever I get one of these laughable pathetic cables that have ignored all the relevant standards, I toss them immediately. Same with adapters that sometimes ship that go from Europlug to UK. It's perfectly possible to make them to standard, but some businesses simply don't give a gently caress.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

If you can find somewhere else that sells a Li Shin 0227B24130 power supply, I'll bear it in mind for next time.

Side effect of having a degree in (amongst other things) electronic engineering is that I buy to spec rather than model number when picking up replacement power supplies. Power supplies are just about the shittiest (nosiest, furthest out of spec etc) electronic part you're going to find in a system and their quality has only been going down over time.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Side effect of having a degree in (amongst other things) electronic engineering is that I buy to spec rather than model number when picking up replacement power supplies. Power supplies are just about the shittiest (nosiest, furthest out of spec etc) electronic part you're going to find in a system and their quality has only been going down over time.

Well the original was 24V 5A but even this was hard to find short of ludicrously expensive bench PSUs. I certainly wasn't averse to chopping off the cable off the end of the old one, and soldering it onto any generic PSU I could find, I just couldn't get above 19V short of spending stupid money, so I ended up just searching on model number.

Is ultimately worth the hassle as I am very fond of this monitor. Hazro HZ26Wi owns :3:

Edit: Well for laughs we took it apart.

Turns out it is actually 3 core, but the copper is 0.5mm2 and lovely copper at that.

It also has two black wires and one blue wire. The blue wire connects to earth!

Straight in the bin with this thing I think.

Lum fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 30, 2013

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Is it really that hard to set up a group e-mail setup (where you send to xxx@co.com and it broadcasts to abc, def, ghi@co.com) in Google Apps? The people here who administrate it apparently couldn't figure it out and it's one of the things driving them to in-house Exchange, in a company of about 10 people.

As someone who's grown fond of Gmail's interface/filters/tagging, this move sounds like it's going to suck, especially since I'm on *nix instead of Windows.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

Is it really that hard to set up a group e-mail setup (where you send to xxx@co.com and it broadcasts to abc, def, ghi@co.com) in Google Apps? The people here who administrate it apparently couldn't figure it out and it's one of the things driving them to in-house Exchange, in a company of about 10 people.

As someone who's grown fond of Gmail's interface/filters/tagging, this move sounds like it's going to suck, especially since I'm on *nix instead of Windows.

Like a distribution list? They're under Groups.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Like a distribution list? They're under Groups.

I would be exceedingly terrified of an e-mail admin group that couldn't figure that out.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's what I figured, but the people who head this place aren't stunningly competent. :( I don't know if you remember the escapades of last thread, but the person who administers our Apps is laso the person who writes uncommented, unindented, functionless php.

Apparently the concept of groups baffled them so much they set up Spiceworks to do it. :cripes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's Rube Goldberg machines all the way down

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Zamujasa posted:

That's what I figured, but the people who head this place aren't stunningly competent. :( I don't know if you remember the escapades of last thread, but the person who administers our Apps is laso the person who writes uncommented, unindented, functionless php.

Apparently the concept of groups baffled them so much they set up Spiceworks to do it. :cripes:

If they *really* want to use a microsoft product they're familiar with just set up groups in AD. Google has a pretty sweet script that you can run to sync your AD users / groups up with GApps.

Now they don't need to learn how to setup a group in Google and you can still actually use the thing.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lum posted:

Lum's electric boogaloo chat.

lovely Chinese electric equipment from the Iraqi vendors caused tons of electrical shorts and fires while I was there. There were multiple advisories about these hunks of crap. It all seemed to be related to the power strips and converters related to the Butt plug. Plug something into a strip and it was a crap shoot if you got a working socket, nothing, or sparks and a little smoke. Good times.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Things annoying me today: Our aging Netapp not supporting DFS replication.

We have an older Netapp (FAS3020c) that we're going to be taking down and replacing with a couple shiny new Poweredge R720xd. We were hoping to plug in a R720dx, set up DFS replication for everything currently hosted on the Netapp, wait for it to sync, then take the Netapp down but we just found out that it doesn't support DFS replication. We can't copy everything by hand because the data we're trying to copy are all of our user profiles (roaming) and they are used every day. Is there a way/utility to do this while maintaining Windows permissions? We tried a couple of free utilities but none of them have bothered to keep our permissions intact.

It's all a giant mess, I know. That's why we're moving to the R720s.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Helushune posted:

Is there a way/utility to do this while maintaining Windows permissions?

To me, everything is a robocopy-shaped nail.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't you lose the dual-controller nature of a NetApp by going 'back' to a file server or am I way behind the times?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Ugh, why do employers always do poo poo like this?

So I took last week off, for Christmas. My job then made a surprise announcement on Monday that it would close early on Christmas eve . . . but if you had taken the day off you still had to use the entire vacation day.

That always seems so freaking petty and punitive to me. If I'd gone in I only would have worked for half a day, but since I didn't I'm out a whole vacation day.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
One network engineer, two network technicians, and my boss have now resigned over the past month and a half or so. Three of us left...

gently caress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Ugh, why do employers always do poo poo like this?

So I took last week off, for Christmas. My job then made a surprise announcement on Monday that it would close early on Christmas eve . . . but if you had taken the day off you still had to use the entire vacation day.

That always seems so freaking petty and punitive to me. If I'd gone in I only would have worked for half a day, but since I didn't I'm out a whole vacation day.

If we work a "half day" it only costs 0.5 vacation days. But for IT it should be 0.25 day off because everyone works 7-3, and IT works 9-5, so on a half day (only Christmas Eve and New Year Eve) IT works 9-11. I drive an hour each way to work for 2 hours, its annoying but hey full day of pay.

I'd seriously try talking to someone or "making up" the half day and work a half day on a Friday of your choice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zamujasa posted:

The people here who administrate it... in a company of about 10 people.

You've got 20% or more of the company involved in administering GApps poorly ?

My old Python scripts to manage groups might still work in the current API if you want them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mllaneza posted:

You've got 20% or more of the company involved in administering GApps poorly ?

My old Python scripts to manage groups might still work in the current API if you want them.

If it's a 10 person company why the gently caress do they even need scripts? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

pixaal posted:

I'd seriously try talking to someone or "making up" the half day and work a half day on a Friday of your choice.

Maybe do this if your manager is cool with requests like that, but in general, if you're salary and your company isn't in the habit of jerking you around with using vacation days or otherwise trying to screw you over, then complaining about something like the office closing early on a day you had vacation just seems kind of petty. Looking at it from the other side, how would you like it if your boss told you "well, since our entire department had to put in four hours of emergency OT on that day you took vacation last week, we're going to have to charge you an extra half a vacation day..."?