Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NeilPerry posted:

Tell me, how does that work? What is the alternative?

The best way to inspire people is to lead by example, not by constantly pointing out their shortcomings. When people get down on themselves they tend to withdraw, so when you hear somebody say they were inspired by watching a documentary, maybe bring up some things that you are involved with that they could join. Or jump in and talk about all the stuff you've learned since you got into the subject, since presumably you know a lot more about it than someone who's interest was just peaked by watching a documentary. Instead the first move is to bemoan all those lazy assholes who say they care but never do anything about it. Its like, yea those people are very prevalent, but is that really the time to complain about it? Wouldn't a more positive attitude get things moving a lot more effectively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Charlie Brooker's 2013 wipe. Notable for the part where Jeremy Irons suggests legalized gay marriage means dads can marry their sons for the purpose of passing on their money in an easier manner. Charlie's reaction is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUSwhdp7j48

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 30, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That bit was incredible. Why did I not remember that bit?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This kind of identity politics dick-waving is exactly what scares most people away from activism in the first place. :thumbsup:

I don't see what's wrong with this post, and I'm a meat eater who uses apple products. If someone simply says boycotting things and going vegan are good things to do that isn't an attack on people who don't do those things.

SeanBeansShako posted:

That bit was incredible. Why did I not remember that bit?

That argument was actually pretty common during the gay marriage debate in parliament- there were several tories who brought up similar scenarios, spinster sisters who live together getting married etc. Even though I'm pretty certain incest laws already apply to same sex relationships.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Charlie Brooker's 2013 wipe. Notable for the part where Jeremy Irons suggests legalized gay marriage means dads can marry their sons for the purpose of passing on their money in an easier manner. Charlie's reaction is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUSwhdp7j48

I need to see Dogging Tales.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I need to see Dogging Tales.

I was amused by the bit where Charlie talked about Sex Box. What a loving idea for a show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I don't see what's wrong with this post, and I'm a meat eater who uses apple products. If someone simply says boycotting things and going vegan are good things to do that isn't an attack on people who don't do those things.

Speaking for myself, it was really this post that I was reacting too:

NeilPerry posted:

I can only imagine you're talking about veganism and I'd have to say you're exactly the reason why people who watch Earthlings, etc and feel deeply that they don't want to contribute to the industry anymore end up doing it again because it's somehow less socially acceptable to stand up for what you believe than it is to not care about suffering. And again, it's not a zero sum game. Caring about animal rights does not mean you don't care about human rights, and essentially animal rights ARE human rights(for the industry's contribution to global warming, its overuse of antibiotics, etc).

And either way, I was simply talking about any particular thing a person might be tempted to do after watching a documentary and not necessarily saying everyone should become anti-capitalist veganists(though I do think the world would be better if they did).

Its us! WE ARE THE PROBLEM.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I was amused by the bit where Charlie talked about Sex Box. What a loving idea for a show.

We go back and forth but the UK definitely gives us a run for our money when it comes to bottom of the barrel TV.

e: You know, this is why Anglophilia is so stupid; you would never get to the good stuff if it was up to the Whovians.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 30, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Speaking for myself, it was really this post that I was reacting too:

It's true though, we are.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sex Box could not possibly be a real show.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Haha, yeah I wonder how long until something like that comes to American TV. Maybe Jerry Springer could do it on his talk show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If we steal Sex Box we at least have to have audio.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A button the people inside can press to broadcast what they're doing outside the box. Can you imagine the nutty exhibitionist folks that would go wild with it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Channel 4 just have a thing where they want to be both edgy and educational, (since they are meant to be less mainstream than BBC1 and ITV and they also have a public service broadcasting remit) and will occasionally do a big attention grabbing event evening along those lines.

Sometimes this works (that live autopsy with the crazy German hat wearing Doctor was genuinely fascinating) and sometimes you get Sex Box or that show from a couple years back where people took ecstasy live on tv.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Notable for the part where Jeremy Irons suggests legalized gay marriage means dads can marry their sons for the purpose of passing on their money in an easier manner.
The man is clearly insane. What I didn't understand is why the interviewer didn't just ask something along the lines of "what if that person had a daughter instead"? Would that moneymaking scheme still make weird sense to Mr. Irons?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The best way to inspire people is to lead by example, not by constantly pointing out their shortcomings. When people get down on themselves they tend to withdraw, so when you hear somebody say they were inspired by watching a documentary, maybe bring up some things that you are involved with that they could join. Or jump in and talk about all the stuff you've learned since you got into the subject, since presumably you know a lot more about it than someone who's interest was just peaked by watching a documentary. Instead the first move is to bemoan all those lazy assholes who say they care but never do anything about it. Its like, yea those people are very prevalent, but is that really the time to complain about it? Wouldn't a more positive attitude get things moving a lot more effectively?

In that case I think my post was just taken out of context. I was replying to a guy who claimed that outside of activism there isn't much one can do, but I replied saying you can do quite a lot with just simple choices as a consumer.

Basebf555 posted:

We aren't? I mean it, how are we not the problem? We give money to the people who slaughter the animals you don't want to see slaughtered or make the products in environments you swore to yourself you'd never support. I'm not talking about laziness, I'm talking about cognitive dissonance, which, as far as I'm concerned, you're doing right now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, remembering that Thatcher was dead sure did make me feel better!

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

And to think that something as straightforward as Touch The Truck was enough to traumatise Brooker's mind so severely that satire was no longer possible for him.

We've already had most of Nathan Barley come true, I suspect 2014 will be the year we see the dawn of online Russian tramp racing.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

NeilPerry posted:

I can only imagine you're talking about veganism and I'd have to say you're exactly the reason why people who watch Earthlings, etc and feel deeply that they don't want to contribute to the industry anymore end up doing it again because it's somehow less socially acceptable to stand up for what you believe than it is to not care about suffering. And again, it's not a zero sum game. Caring about animal rights does not mean you don't care about human rights, and essentially animal rights ARE human rights(for the industry's contribution to global warming, its overuse of antibiotics, etc).

You are aware Earthlings is a documentary of extreme examples and not how those things are normally carried out?

The movie affected me pretty hard but then I went out and did my research and it wasn't gonna make me stop eating meat anyway because I need my protein to grow muscles. Plus you can get meat other ways than factory farms.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

You are aware Earthlings is a documentary of extreme examples and not how those things are normally carried out?

The movie affected me pretty hard but then I went out and did my research and it wasn't gonna make me stop eating meat anyway because I need my protein to grow muscles. Plus you can get meat other ways than factory farms.

What does it matter if Earthlings only shows 'extreme cases'? The point of the documentary remains the same: Animals are aware of the world just as we are, even if they're dumb as rocks, and maybe, just maybe, that entitles them to a live free from needless pain and 'enslavement'(for lack of a better word) and we should think about that. Whether or not butchers love their animals and kill them in clean and efficient manners does not, in any way, affect that argument. Not to mention how the hell do you know what kind of factory/farm your meat or dairy came from if you're eating out, buying a hotdog at a hotdog stand or just eating anything that has dairy as an ingredient.

There are people who watch Earthlings and get to that conclusion, but then they're instantly demotivated by their environment because god forbid someone tries to 'be the change you want to see in the world' if that change might gently caress up their rights to eat meat!

And come on now, if you did your research you'd know the whole protein debate is a load of crap. For one, seitan has more protein than any kind of meat and is incredibly cheap to make yourself, and if you're trying to bulk up and gain muscles chances are you're going to drink protein shakes anyway. But that's an argument for a different thread.

EDIT: What I mean is, don't be a dick. If someone watches Blackfish and feels like becoming a vegetarian then don't loving demotivate them just because you don't want to feel inferior or whatever the reason is why you made that post. It's petty.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 31, 2013

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some awesome metal documentaries? Or music docs in general.

Ones i've seen and enjoyed:

Pure loving Mayhem
Until The Light Takes Us
Last Days Here
Kurt and Courtney
Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Thanks!

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Xandoom posted:

Can anyone reccomend some awesome metal documentaries? Or music docs in general.

Pure loving Mayhem
Until The Light Takes Us
Last Days Here
Kurt and Courtney
Thanks!

If you're into DC hardcore I suggest Fugazi's documentary Instrument. I haven't actually seen it but I hear good things about it. It's supposedly rather self-indulgent but Fugazi is an amazing band so I don't think that's much of a problem. Bit on the long end though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

If you're into DC hardcore I suggest Fugazi's documentary Instrument. I haven't actually seen it but I hear good things about it. It's supposedly rather self-indulgent but Fugazi is an amazing band so I don't think that's much of a problem. Bit on the long end though.

Instrument is my favorite music documentary ever. I'm biased because they're probably my favorite band, but I feel like even if you're not a huge fan of theirs, the really cool abstract editing style of the movie gives you a lot to enjoy. Jem Cohen's a really neat filmmaker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Banano posted:

And to think that something as straightforward as Touch The Truck was enough to traumatise Brooker's mind so severely that satire was no longer possible for him.

We've already had most of Nathan Barley come true, I suspect 2014 will be the year we see the dawn of online Russian tramp racing.

Cultural osmosis, man, Hands on a Hardbody contests go back to the 50's (40's maybe)? in the US. Nathan Barley was loving great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NeilPerry posted:

In that case I think my post was just taken out of context. I was replying to a guy who claimed that outside of activism there isn't much one can do, but I replied saying you can do quite a lot with just simple choices as a consumer.

We aren't? I mean it, how are we not the problem? We give money to the people who slaughter the animals you don't want to see slaughtered or make the products in environments you swore to yourself you'd never support. I'm not talking about laziness, I'm talking about cognitive dissonance, which, as far as I'm concerned, you're doing right now.

You're absolutely right but its an extremely obvious point that I don't really need made for me by every random dude on the internet who sees someone mention that they saw Blackfish. No poo poo, a lot of people struggle with this issue and the cognitive dissonance that often comes along with it, and right now I'm one of them. I don't need you to tell me all about the stuff I'm not doing.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

You're absolutely right but its an extremely obvious point that I don't really need made for me by every random dude on the internet who sees someone mention that they saw Blackfish. No poo poo, a lot of people struggle with this issue and the cognitive dissonance that often comes along with it, and right now I'm one of them. I don't need you to tell me all about the stuff I'm not doing.

Yeah, I wouldn't talk about things in that way outside of a thread like this though. You gotta admit, in what way cognitive dissonance affects the effect a documentary can have on you is a valid thing to discuss. I just went a bit too far, sorry.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011
Sorry for double posting.

flick3r fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 1, 2014

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

NeilPerry posted:

And come on now, if you did your research you'd know the whole protein debate is a load of crap. For one, seitan has more protein than any kind of meat and is incredibly cheap to make yourself, and if you're trying to bulk up and gain muscles chances are you're going to drink protein shakes anyway. But that's an argument for a different thread.

I am still waiting for food pills to be distributed to people. Your Doctor prescribes exactly how much of every vitamin and nutrient your body actually needs in a pill for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and you drink your beverage of choice. Thus obesity is done away with unless you like beer a lot I guess.. expiration dates and wasting food would be done with.. we could feed more people etc etc because less/no waste.

And I see my post about the "real problem" of documentaries sparked a shitstorm.. Well at least its interesting to read both sides.

mod sassinator posted:

A button the people inside can press to broadcast what they're doing outside the box. Can you imagine the nutty exhibitionist folks that would go wild with it.

I can imagine but I dont think we need to give them such good ideas or someone will pick it up and run with it.

flick3r fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 1, 2014

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Crime after Crime

Anonymous
The story of the battle to free Debbie Peagler, an incarcerated survivor of brutal domestic violence. Over 26 years in prison cannot crush the spirit of this determined African-American woman, despite the injustices she has experienced, first at the hands of a duplicitous boyfriend who beat her and forced her into prostitution, and later by prosecutors who cornered her into a life behind bars for her connection to the murder of her abuser. Her story takes an unexpected turn two decades later when a pair of rookie land-use attorneys cut their teeth on her case -- and attract global attention to the troubled intersection of domestic violence and criminal justice.

-----------
This movie is a bit crushing and hopeful all at once. To say that our justice system is hosed is to put it lightly, but It's nice to see there is hope for those incarcerated.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Xandoom posted:

Pure loving Mayhem
Until The Light Takes Us
Last Days Here
Kurt and Courtney
Thanks!

Metal: A headbanger's journey does a good job of covering the different subgenres.

I also recommend Bad News Tour and More Bad News for shits and giggles. Great mockumentary similar to This Is Spinal Tap.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Boomerjinks posted:

I searched the whole thread and I couldn't find anyone mentioning Azorian: The Raising of the K-129

Basically the story of how the CIA built a ship with a secret bay and a giant claw and tried to steal a sunken Soviet ballistic missile submarine. If you like spy poo poo and stories about wacky Cold War engineering along the same lines of the top secret SR-71, you'll love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6rGrzD2VY

It was on Netflix for a long long time.

Thanks for this.
The things they did during the cold war still amaze me.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm looking for a good documentary about the black death. Any books about the subject would be nice too.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Tonight I saw the new Jeremy Clarkson documentary PQ17: An Arctic Convoy Disaster, and highly recommend it. The subject is the merchant convoys from Britain (well, Iceland) to Russia via the Arctic Circle during 1941 and 1942 in order to resupply the Russian front line following Germany's invasion of Russia in WWII. The particular convoy that the documentary discusses, codenamed PQ17, ran into a spot of trouble.

Fascinating subject that I didn't know anything about, and beautiful shots of the Arctic Circle. Also features interviews with survivors (both American and British) who were involved with PQ17.

Here's the IMDB link, and I think Brits can watch it on the BBC site.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Meander posted:

Tonight I saw the new Jeremy Clarkson documentary PQ17: An Arctic Convoy Disaster, and highly recommend it. The subject is the merchant convoys from Britain (well, Iceland) to Russia via the Arctic Circle during 1941 and 1942 in order to resupply the Russian front line following Germany's invasion of Russia in WWII. The particular convoy that the documentary discusses, codenamed PQ17, ran into a spot of trouble.

Fascinating subject that I didn't know anything about, and beautiful shots of the Arctic Circle. Also features interviews with survivors (both American and British) who were involved with PQ17.

Here's the IMDB link, and I think Brits can watch it on the BBC site.

Thanks for this recommendation. This was fantastic. I got teary at several points during the doc despite it not being sentimental at all. It's just a very compelling and very human story.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched it through Hola in HDizzle, loved it.

I've seen Clarksons other WW2 doco's and they are all great, but this one was eye opening when he's at sea showing you how bleeding cold it was.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm looking for a decent documentary on the future of fission power generation - specifically the prospects of LFTR type thorium reactors - to show to some folks in my family so they may finally stop dumping every single form of nuclear power generation into one basket with Fukushima and Chernobyl. I mean yes, human error will gently caress up even the safest of technologies, but from what I've heard so far, but abundance of the element, reduced waste and reduced potential damage sound like some nice arguments.

Any recommendations?

Special Kei
May 13, 2009
Here's two on Thorium Energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9Ll5EX1jc

http://thoriumremix.com/th/

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Rocksicles posted:

Watched it through Hola in HDizzle, loved it.

I've seen Clarksons other WW2 doco's and they are all great, but this one was eye opening when he's at sea showing you how bleeding cold it was.

I only saw him in one other. The one about the mission his father-in-law was part of. Are there others?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

mrfart posted:

I only saw him in one other. The one about the mission his father-in-law was part of. Are there others?

He has made two other war related shows, one about The Victoria Cross ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Victoria_Cross:_For_Valour ) and one about Operation Chariot (The Greatest Raid of All Time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

MrBling posted:

He has made two other war related shows, one about The Victoria Cross ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Victoria_Cross:_For_Valour ) and one about Operation Chariot (The Greatest Raid of All Time)

Thank you. I think I got the 2 mixed up for some reason.