Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Make a French 75 and get the best of both worlds.

French 75 is with gin. If you make it with cognac it's instead the poorly-attested French 125. I think Chris McMillan makes one like that, and that's his right I guess, but one of my favorite things about the French 75 is how weird it is to mix gin and champagne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Kenning posted:

French 75 is with gin. If you make it with cognac it's instead the poorly-attested French 125. I think Chris McMillan makes one like that, and that's his right I guess, but one of my favorite things about the French 75 is how weird it is to mix gin and champagne.

Welp, whoever put the cocktails on the menu at Lüke is an idiot, then.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's not at all weird to mix gin and sparkling.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I mean, not anymore, but from a historical perspective they are two beverages from totally different bibulous spheres.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Welp, whoever put the cocktails on the menu at Lüke is an idiot, then.

The first French 75 I ever had was with cognac from an old as the hills hotel bartender, it was a popular way to do the drink in the 70/80's. Doesn't mean that guy or gal isn't an idiot, but Dale DeGroff's spec is a cognac one, so it's a thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Ok. And getting the anxiety hitting hard. Puppy said he's free most of tomorrow so I'm going there so that he and I can hang out and my head can get to the right place. I know I've got very little to pack and that the major task is to make it to uni in one piece. And that friends are helping me once I land. Just can't help feeling nervous about leaving everything I know.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm making a Thai stir fry and peeled a load of shallots. While I was bathing child my wife decided to be helpful and finely chopped them. I really didn't want them finely chopped! But I can't really say anything because she was trying to be helpful and I'm coming across like an ingrate. :argh:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

:rimshot:

content: HH, you are going through an amazing time in your life and doing some great things. The stories you tell are really touching. Would you consider making a thread about your experiences abroad? I'm sure other people would love to hear about them, and having everything consolidated in megathreads makes it a bit impenetrable.

I could, but my considerations are these...

There's three seperate stories that I could tell from this, or one interwoven one...
a. the one about Yolanda, and the people it affected (those I met, what I saw, but not everything, because I do not understand everything)
b. the one about the operation, and my part in it
c. the one where Happy Hat decides to go, and how it affects him

a. would be an insufficient approximation of reality to even function as an acceptable lie
b. could mean that I compromise the security of the people still there, the mission or expose organizational considerations in a country or in several NGOs who only are there to do good, even though some of them are goddamn idiots
c. would mean that I either glorify or villanify (is that a word) my own part, and as my own part, my own decisions are part insignificant and part E/N material I think it would be better not to expose those. Also - a lot of people have stated that I am doing good for doing what I chose to do. This is simply not correct. I just did a job because it needed doing, good or bad has nothing to do with it really..

Does that even make sense? Well - what I do know is that one sentence is what could start me on the entire E/N thing... And seriously guys.. There's too many people stealing the focus from the real issue, which is the number of people who has died (7,800), the number of missing (34,000) the number of directly affected (640,000) the number of schools that is non functional (2,300), there's some more unpleasant statistics in there, but those I will neglect mentioning.

Or even more important. The immense bravery, stamina and resiliense of the Philippine people.

But what questions would you like answered? I will happily answer them as well as I can - but I simply do not know what such a thread should be about...

I may not make much sense...

Edit: oh.. and I may seem like a converted, sanctimoneous prick... I am most certainly not. The thing is that I still appreciate high brow humor as much as before (as when I got a male delegate to do a naked photoshoot because a female delegate had expressed her interest or when I convinced my technician that another female delegate was a physical therapist, so he would ask her for a massage for his sprained shoulder (she is in PsycoSocial, and got quite confused by the whole deal), or when I chose to teach humility to someone by placing to obvious snorers right next to him, one on each side, or when I instructed the teamleaders to please instruct their teams in how to safely dispose of condoms, or that entire thing with the Korean army, which left them confused and even got the UN involved).

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 28, 2013

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Velkommen hjem, Peter. Hvis sedlen på hoveddøren skulle være blæst af i vinden, så kig under trappen ved kælderdøren.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dane posted:

Velkommen hjem, Peter. Hvis sedlen på hoveddøren skulle være blæst af i vinden, så kig under trappen ved kælderdøren.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598173

:) I er fandme sřde!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Account sharing! Bart, pls ban ASAP, TIA.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Did I kill the thread?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Did I kill the thread?

You broke our hearts and killed the thread! Naw, it's been quiet.

I've been thinking about your feeling of being inadequate to convey what is going on and happened. I understand that, but that's also how big stories can get told: through a human perspective.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Nice to be home to intelligent dinner time conversation - tonight's topic was the possibility of contracting a salmonella infection from stuffing raw poultry up your rear end.

Sometimes I wonder if the kids are permanently damaged.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
My 13-year-old ruined my chances to get laid last night.

Cranky at my children.

Now I have to spend the rest of today trying to set the stage for this evening to see if I can have magic happen yet again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

NosmoKing posted:

My 13-year-old ruined my chances to get laid last night.

Cranky at my children.

Now I have to spend the rest of today trying to set the stage for this evening to see if I can have magic happen yet again.
It's like being single all over again! But with kids!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Had belated Xmas at my yiayia's today. Was saddened that she opted not to do lamb (it was too expensive) and bought a pre-cooked ham instead.

Then, proceeded to cook it.

For 6 hours.

At least the spanakopita was delicious as ever!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Did you cut it with a chainsaw?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

The outside was as tough as leather and inedible, it was like she'd forgotten to take a rubber coating off it. It peeled away from the pink inside which was tolerable if you got a middle slice. Luckily my mom also brought a turkey, pre-cooked (in a bag, natch) and reheated. That was the opposite, wet and falling apart with practically melted skin, but as with the ham, there were edible bits to be picked off.

I only see my yiayia a couple times a year so it was still worth the 5 hr drive. Also, if you've never had melomakarona (Greek Christmas cookies soaked in honey with nuts) get to a Greek bakery ASAP because they are amazing.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

EVG posted:

The outside was as tough as leather and inedible, it was like she'd forgotten to take a rubber coating off it. It peeled away from the pink inside which was tolerable if you got a middle slice. Luckily my mom also brought a turkey, pre-cooked (in a bag, natch) and reheated. That was the opposite, wet and falling apart with practically melted skin, but as with the ham, there were edible bits to be picked off.

I only see my yiayia a couple times a year so it was still worth the 5 hr drive. Also, if you've never had melomakarona (Greek Christmas cookies soaked in honey with nuts) get to a Greek bakery ASAP because they are amazing.

I'm sure they're delicious but melomakarona sounds more like a type of cancer than a food item.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

It really does. :)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Melomakarona are good, but loukoumathes are exceptional. :d

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EVG posted:

Our Greek cleaning woman/babysitter/cat-sitter gives us these at Xmas; I've got some on my counter right now! Never knew what they were called. They are very sweet but very good.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yesterday was my birthday, I made a pineapple upside down cheesecake, cronuts and madelines. Today I'm smoking bacon, pastrami and ribs on my Weber 10th anniversary Simpsons grill. Tomorrow I'm going to make macarons.

I guess I should finally stop considering myself a newbie cook.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
How did your cronuts turn out and what recipe did you use?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I'm in Chicago and grabbed a gyro from some place my by hotel.

The white sauce on it, it's loving ranch.

Gonna drink a bottle of cheap wine and eat the loving thing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How did your cronuts turn out and what recipe did you use?

I've done them twice now, I just use a laminated brioche recipe so they aren't really "cro" I guess. They're very good and puffy and layered though. I don't really think they are worth all the extra work over a regular brioche donut though.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Happy Hat posted:

Nice to be home to intelligent dinner time conversation - tonight's topic was the possibility of contracting a salmonella infection from stuffing raw poultry up your rear end.

Sometimes I wonder if the kids are permanently damaged.

And here I didn't think it was possible to love them more.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I made modernist Mac and cheese tonight too. It's pretty good but I dunno if it's the stunning revelation I've been lead to expect. I probably need something better than Costco cheese.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Got fired today. No reason given, just "there are a number of factors and we have decided to let you go." Merry loving christmas.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ouch.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

posting here for interest: pizza steel thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598826

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
drat.. I paid more than that for my stone. Would be all over it if UK :/

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I, Sjurygg Moonpeopleson, do declare hereby that I loving hate chestnuts.

That is all.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Got fired today. No reason given, just "there are a number of factors and we have decided to let you go." Merry loving christmas.

translation: "Our reasons or firing you are illegal and/or immoral, but fuckit! This is an at-will employment state!"

Sorry to hear that, man.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Yawgmoth posted:

And a crappy new year! One of the main reasons I work for myself these days; I've never been fired, and I don't plan to start now. My line of work is mercurial, but I can't imagine how crushed I'd be if I got fired.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

FishBulb posted:

I made modernist Mac and cheese tonight too. It's pretty good but I dunno if it's the stunning revelation I've been lead to expect. I probably need something better than Costco cheese.
Make it with Cacio (sheep's milk cheese) next time... way better than that cheddar gouda poo poo

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
mac n chz with Cahill Porter is best mac n chz.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I make that sauce with a bit more hefeweizen and a decent pepper jack, with some added habanero powder. It's the best nacho cheese, and doesn't depend on my failure to gently caress up a roux.

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

bunnielab posted:

I'm in Chicago and grabbed a gyro from some place my by hotel.

The white sauce on it, it's loving ranch.
Chicago is deep dish "pizza," a Chicago dog (extra celery salt please), or Eyetalian Beef. Those are the three things. It's like you went to Georgia and ordered blueberry pie. Of course it sucks.

There's some drat good Chinese food there too, but it's been so long since I visited I have no idea where anymore.

Wroughtirony posted:

translation: "Our reasons or firing you are illegal and/or immoral, but fuckit! This is an at-will employment state!"
Oh hey yeah I had that happen. It's pretty great, especially when the company is big and rich enough they can spend you out of court. Good luck, Yawgmoth. For what it's worth, I'm way happier now than I was at that lovely job and had enough career inertia firing was the only way I was going to move on, so it can work out better in the end.