Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Pretty slick. Whelan's been a staple of my fantasy reading ever since I got into it, so it's great to see that tradition continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mortanis posted:

Pretty slick. Whelan's been a staple of my fantasy reading ever since I got into it, so it's great to see that tradition continue.

I like it a lot better than the Kaladin cover. That's just such an awkward pose. :(

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

I have no idea why, but I always pictured her with a bob cut. Think a younger version of Leliana from Dragon Age.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I really like the art of Roshar wildlife.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

theshim posted:

I'll second The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. It uses a system of color magic that I describe to my friends as Sandersonesque - by which I mean it's got consistent rules and a full system all planned out ahead of time, just like Sanderson's magic systems (or at least it sure seems so). And this is color magic where different colors all do different things, as opposed to Warbreaker where it was simply color in general.
Yeah so based on this recommendation I read The Black Prism. Pretty good book. Then I started reading The Blinding Knife; not done yet, but so far it's really good. Feels like Sanderson with more of an edge. Sometimes it feels like Sanderson can't make his protagonists meaningfully flawed in a way that may evoke dislike or disgust from the reader, and Weeks clearly does not have that problem.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Sanderson has actually said if he ever dies before he finishes The Stormlight Archives he wants Weeks to finish the series.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really disliked his Night Angel series because of its juvenile approach to, well, everything. It was a fourteen year old boy's power fantasy.

Has he improved?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I really disliked his Night Angel series because of its juvenile approach to, well, everything. It was a fourteen year old boy's power fantasy.

Has he improved?
I've read both, and Lightbringer is a lot better.

Edit: I found out about the series from Brandon's editor/assistant on twitter :q:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ConfusedUs posted:

Has he improved?

There's still a bit of that, but it's a lot better than Night Angel.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Has he improved?

That's sort of countered by the protagonist being incredibly unlikable (to both the reader and the other characters in the book) and generally very flawed. But having an unlikable protagonist has its own set of problems.

I think it's true that Sanderson generally doesn't "make his protagonists meaningfully flawed in a way that may evoke dislike or disgust from the reader", but that's clearly by choice rather than an inability to do so effectively. When it comes down to it, Sanderson wants us to be genuinely cheering for our protagonists. So they are never flawed in a genuinely dark way. But they can be effectively flawed; for example, I thought Joel from the Rithmatist was flawed in a realistic way, being incredibly arrogant about his intelligence in a very realistic teenage way. The scene where he makes a comment about Melody being stupid and the subsequent berating he gets was well done, I think.

Sanderson can do meaningfully flawed if he chooses to, he just never crosses that line of making a protagonist flawed to the degree they are unlikable. Personally, I'm ok with that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Kelsier of Mistborn is a fine example of a... well, I guess technically he wasn't the protagonist, but he was definitely the most important character in the first book. Sanderson mostly emphasizes Kelsier's strong points through a viewpoint character who views him as a father figure, but there's plenty of subtext there quietly alerting the discerning reader that he's kind of a monster. (And a few instances of another character openly calling him out on it.)

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Cicero posted:

Yeah so based on this recommendation I read The Black Prism. Pretty good book. Then I started reading The Blinding Knife; not done yet, but so far it's really good. Feels like Sanderson with more of an edge. Sometimes it feels like Sanderson can't make his protagonists meaningfully flawed in a way that may evoke dislike or disgust from the reader, and Weeks clearly does not have that problem.
Same. I really liked (huge Black Prism Spoilers and Blinding Knife Spoilers. Don't read these if you've not read the books!) the whole Gavin/Drazen thing. Weeks did a superb job of having a character start off as kind of a Jerk, but a likable one, to revealing that "DUN DUN DUN" he's really the bad guy. Then, through more story telling, it turns out that Gavin really would have been worse of than Drazen ruling, and the whole scene where Drazen finally kills Gavin seals the whole deal for me. The whole process felt very organic and not forced to me and I loved the emotions that it evoked in me as a reader. I wanted to like Drazen, but didn't think I should cause he was the "bad" guy, then was able to even though he'd just murdered a girl and killed his own brother. Yet I still liked him.

ConfusedUs posted:

Has he improved?
I held off for a long time after reading the Night Angel trilogy because of the same reason. I enjoyed Night Angel, but it wasn't like I had to read more of Week's work, especially before it was done. After reading The Black Prism and The Blinding Knife, I'll be picking these up as they publish. Weeks' writing has gotten notably better. The magic system is much less hand-wavey and more solidified (if not immediately written out like Sanderson's magics). There's a tad bit of juvenile parts since one of the POVs is from a 15/16 year old, however, the kid grows up fast so it's not like you're reading YA one chapter, then a real novel the next. If you've been putting it off because of the Night Angel series, you shouldn't.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Apparently Brandon is on track for finishing up work on Firefight this loving month. What a machine.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Having just finished Steelheart and liked it ok, I am surprisingly excited about this. Also burned through Alloy of Law and that was great. Looking forward to buying Rithmatist and The Emperor's Soul at some point.

Super Steelheart spoilers: I figured that Prof was an epic pretty early, and I was vacillating between Megan being either a spy or an unawakened Epic, but I totally didn't anticipate her being Firefight. I had been spoiled by Sanderson's description of his inspiration for the story, so I was really tuned into whenever the characters showed a personality change. Really missed Steelheart's weakness too, I was thinking the crossfire idea until that was shot down by Sanderson mentioning it. I had originally thought about the "bullet hits Epic then hurts Steelheart," but the description makes it clear that Deathpoint is sneaking up behind Steelheart and the bullet nicks him before hitting Deathpoint.

What I'm really curious about now are what Prof's and Firefight's weaknesses are. Also, where the hell did the Epic-readers come from? Prof obviously isn't an inventor, so what's that about? Some new Epic tech?

Also, whoever had the idea that Calamity is an alien/super that is Gifting all their powers I think is probably right on. I imagine the motivation is much like with Prof, by spreading it out he becomes more sane, at the expense of the recipients.

I also saw a lot of parallels with The Final Empire: I bet they find out that Steelheart was flawed but still trying to do right by people, much like the Emperor. I expect the city to go to hell and David and the gang getting guilt trips as they realize Steelheart was trying to protect them but forced to kill people so he'd be feared, and that he was so paranoid because as long as nobody had the chance to try to kill him, he didn't need to use his powers and was relatively sane.

gently caress "Sparks!" and "Newcago." "Slontze" was kinda funny, and weird enough as an insult I was willing to buy it.

Whoa that's a lot. Anyway, I guess I'm a Sanderson fanboy now. Words of Radiance just cannot come soon enough.

E: Also I always thought Shallan had black hair and slightly darker skin for some reason, no idea why.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Newcago is the worst thing in the book by far. Stupid loving name.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Newcago is the single best thing about the book and I refuse to hear otherwise.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mossyfisk posted:

Newcago is the single best thing about the book and I refuse to hear otherwise.

The city is awesome. The name is stupid as hell.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Having just finished Steelheart and liked it ok, I am surprisingly excited about this. Also burned through Alloy of Law and that was great. Looking forward to buying Rithmatist and The Emperor's Soul at some point.

Super Steelheart spoilers: I figured that Prof was an epic pretty early, and I was vacillating between Megan being either a spy or an unawakened Epic, but I totally didn't anticipate her being Firefight. I had been spoiled by Sanderson's description of his inspiration for the story, so I was really tuned into whenever the characters showed a personality change. Really missed Steelheart's weakness too, I was thinking the crossfire idea until that was shot down by Sanderson mentioning it. I had originally thought about the "bullet hits Epic then hurts Steelheart," but the description makes it clear that Deathpoint is sneaking up behind Steelheart and the bullet nicks him before hitting Deathpoint.

What I'm really curious about now are what Prof's and Firefight's weaknesses are. Also, where the hell did the Epic-readers come from? Prof obviously isn't an inventor, so what's that about? Some new Epic tech?

Also, whoever had the idea that Calamity is an alien/super that is Gifting all their powers I think is probably right on. I imagine the motivation is much like with Prof, by spreading it out he becomes more sane, at the expense of the recipients.

I also saw a lot of parallels with The Final Empire: I bet they find out that Steelheart was flawed but still trying to do right by people, much like the Emperor. I expect the city to go to hell and David and the gang getting guilt trips as they realize Steelheart was trying to protect them but forced to kill people so he'd be feared, and that he was so paranoid because as long as nobody had the chance to try to kill him, he didn't need to use his powers and was relatively sane.

gently caress "Sparks!" and "Newcago." "Slontze" was kinda funny, and weird enough as an insult I was willing to buy it.

Whoa that's a lot. Anyway, I guess I'm a Sanderson fanboy now. Words of Radiance just cannot come soon enough.

E: Also I always thought Shallan had black hair and slightly darker skin for some reason, no idea why.

There's actually a short story that takes place a few weeks after steelheart [url= http://www.amazon.com/Mitosis-Recko...tosis+reckoners]here[/url] that you might like.

Also newcago being that informs more about steelheart as a character than anything else could.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Prologue and chapters 1 and 2 of words of radiance are up on tor.com right now.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

api call girl posted:

I can't do this to myself. I am forcing myself to wait it out so I can read the book in one disgusting binge.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Strumpy posted:

I can't do this to myself. I am forcing myself to wait it out so I can read the book in one disgusting binge.

You're not the only one! I just can't read part of a book.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Strumpy posted:

You and me both, brother.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
:smith::hf: to all those guys above me

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

^^^Thankfully the wait is only a few months.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Strumpy posted:

I'm the opposite, I am unable to not read it if it's available :smith:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

api call girl posted:

Learned a good bit about what powers Jasnah might have and her personality. Facades huh.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

ConfusedUs posted:

The city is awesome. The name is stupid as hell.

I thought it worked pretty well because I could totally see my fellow citizens of this fair state come up with a horrible name like that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Up to chapter five on tor.com now.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I guess I'm at the point where I have to decide if I want to re-read Way of Kings or not. I remember the overall plot but not most of the details you guys have been discussing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Having re-read it a few months ago, you are going to want to do a re-read. It felt like an entirely different book, and I picked up so much more.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

api call girl posted:

Up to chapter five on tor.com now.

The Cryptics are liespren huh, wonder if they have anything to do with fiction and art. What defines a lie?

Also I guess we just got to see what happens when you put a spren that's too big into a physical form. And why Shardblades cut souls and cleave rock. They'd have to if they're meant to fight spren encased in stone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

veekie posted:

The Cryptics are liespren huh, wonder if they have anything to do with fiction and art. What defines a lie?

Also I guess we just got to see what happens when you put a spren that's too big into a physical form. And why Shardblades cut souls and cleave rock. They'd have to if they're meant to fight spren encased in stone.

They've also been called truthspren, so dunno what's up with that.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

syphon posted:

I guess I'm at the point where I have to decide if I want to re-read Way of Kings or not. I remember the overall plot but not most of the details you guys have been discussing.

I started doing a reread and I'm having a tough time with it. I'm going to be honest - I love a lot of Sanderson's ideas, but sometimes his prose is very difficult to work through. I find this to be the case in his introductory books, in particular - it was the same way with the Mistborn series. He gets hyper-repetitive when he's trying to explain how the "rules" of his elaborately constructed worlds work, and it starts to feel like you're reading an RPG player's guide after a while. The early parts of WoK are particularly bad about this, and it doesn't really start to lighten up until you're past the mid-point.

Excited for WoR, though, because I feel like Sanderson does a pretty good job once he stops trying to codify the ground rules of his series and starts to let the world and characters breath a bit and get on with their business.

edit: Just to expand, that's why I think Brandon did a great job finishing up the Wheel of Time. The parameters of the world were in place for a long time, so he just got in there and told the story without letting it suffer under the weight of the mechanical stuff.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think Sanderson did a relatively lovely job of wrapping up the WoT, actually. There was too much Sanderson-style One Power abuse that made the last book especially all lovely. Gateways are a great example of this. Gateways as aerial surveillance! Gateway/cannonfire/close! Gateway out a lava flood! Block an incoming weave with a gateway and redirect it into the originator!

The entire reason they won the Last Battle basically seems to be the fact that Demandred, the best and brightest general of the Age of Legends, never saw or used any of the obvious gateway exploits, which just feels really loving cheap.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

You'd think someone else would've figured out that gateways were completely OP.

I went with the TOR reread for WoK up until i got to their last one and then I finished the book on my own.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

VanillaGorilla posted:

I started doing a reread and I'm having a tough time with it. I'm going to be honest - I love a lot of Sanderson's ideas, but sometimes his prose is very difficult to work through. I find this to be the case in his introductory books, in particular - it was the same way with the Mistborn series. He gets hyper-repetitive when he's trying to explain how the "rules" of his elaborately constructed worlds work, and it starts to feel like you're reading an RPG player's guide after a while. The early parts of WoK are particularly bad about this, and it doesn't really start to lighten up until you're past the mid-point.

Excited for WoR, though, because I feel like Sanderson does a pretty good job once he stops trying to codify the ground rules of his series and starts to let the world and characters breath a bit and get on with their business.

edit: Just to expand, that's why I think Brandon did a great job finishing up the Wheel of Time. The parameters of the world were in place for a long time, so he just got in there and told the story without letting it suffer under the weight of the mechanical stuff.

The last time I did a reread, I started about a quarter of the way through it and enjoyed it a lot more. It really does start off rough/slow.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I really need to finish the rest of WoT stuff so I don't have to worry about spoilers. Not upset about them, just need to suck it up and do it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh hey, registration for The Writing Excuses Retreat starts tomorrow

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2014/01/17/annoucing-the-writing-excusescarl-brandon-scholarship/

It sounds pretty cool.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Tunicate posted:

Oh hey, registration for The Writing Excuses Retreat starts tomorrow

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2014/01/17/annoucing-the-writing-excusescarl-brandon-scholarship/

It sounds pretty cool.

It was pretty cool :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh wow there's a livestream writeathon right now!

http://www.justin.tv/waygatefoundation

Charity donation with questions being answered.

EDIT: Stream over.
Here's the current progress on the hair-burning memory magic system story: http://waygatefoundation.org/

Which will be contineud sometime, maybe jordancon.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 18, 2014