Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Neat! Not a lot of variety in that tribe, huh? Also, those scuba-diver guys look goofy swimming through the air. They look like they have a fun gimmick, but it's a shame it paints the entire screen like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Noper Q posted:

Neat! Not a lot of variety in that tribe, huh? Also, those scuba-diver guys look goofy swimming through the air. They look like they have a fun gimmick, but it's a shame it paints the entire screen like that.

Every tribe is basically one or two templates, with every Borg in the tribe as variations on them. It's just a lot more noticeable in the smaller tribes. As for the Divers, they're actually really useful in most fights.

Here's a little something while I prepare for Episode 9:

Know Your Borg 5: Copy Man

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Show us the rest of the machines, please.

You're really doing the game justice. It looks like a load of fun. IIRC, there were gundam/giant mecha games built around the same gameplay system as Gotcha Force. You have preset bots with preset weapons but with a more ZoE movement system.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I love this game so much. It was my absolute favorite game on the gamecube, but nobody I've ever talked to has heard of it before. So glad somebody is finally giving it an informative spotlight for the fantastic game that it is. I remember I was really close to (legitimately) filling out the collection of borgs, before accidentally overwriting my save file after doing the 20th force glitch in my hurry to try out G black. It was before I had learned that you could back up saves, and I couldn't really bring myself to play anymore after that. This LP is making me want to pick it up again, though.

I'm probably getting ahead of things, but I hope you're planning on showing off Beam Samurai. His screen-length blade is a thing to behold.

edit: Nthing the vote for machines, there are quite a few with really cool gimmicks.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 5, 2013

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I've always liked Tao Master. One of my "bread and butter" borgs.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Did you know there's a limit of 2000 Borgs that can be held in the Warehouse? I didn't.

Episode 9 shows the rest of the Robots, but we're not done with the Prototypes, much less the Machine Tribe as a whole.
Episode 9: Re-march of the Machines

My available GF Energy has increased enough that Fortress Borgs are now available for selection, so don't forget to vote!

Tribes shown so far:
Ninja(Default)
Machine: Robots, Prototypes
Girl
Hero/Bug (Complete)
Air (Complete)
Knight
Wing (Complete)
Angel (Complete)

Edit:

Cicadas! posted:

I love this game so much. It was my absolute favorite game on the gamecube, but nobody I've ever talked to has heard of it before. So glad somebody is finally giving it an informative spotlight for the fantastic game that it is. I remember I was really close to (legitimately) filling out the collection of borgs, before accidentally overwriting my save file after doing the 20th force glitch in my hurry to try out G black. It was before I had learned that you could back up saves, and I couldn't really bring myself to play anymore after that. This LP is making me want to pick it up again, though.

I'm probably getting ahead of things, but I hope you're planning on showing off Beam Samurai. His screen-length blade is a thing to behold.

edit: Nthing the vote for machines, there are quite a few with really cool gimmicks.

You can back up Gotcha Force saves? How do you do that?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 10, 2013

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
Both the box and the warehouse can barely contain all the Borgs. Also the user interface as everyone could see is kind of poor. You can't automatically organize Borgs in your box, only in your warehouse.

A vote for Wizard please.

Sandata fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 11, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yesss Wizard would be cool.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Show off the mighty Fortress borgs!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Chapter 2 closes out with support borg forces and a visit to Kou's run in Episode 10.

Episode 10: Wizards of Safari Town

Tribes shown so far:
Ninja(Default)
Girl
Hero/Bug (Complete)
Air (Complete)
Knight
Wing (Complete)
Angel (Complete)
Wizard/Nurse/Idol (Complete)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My friend and I used to completely destroy the challenge mode by one of us being the Very Big Witch and the other being a Hammer Robot. Good times. :allears:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm not going to be able to update until after the holiday, some stuff came up. See you all later.

EDIT: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates, hope everyone has a good weekend!

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 27, 2013

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Been following this thread from the start. Just commenting to say I love this game, your tone and informative style work really well. This is definitely A Good LP.

Side note: Your team names are loving great, I was laughing my rear end off at the Blast Corps references in the last Machine episode.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm back with a new episode. Here I finish showing the Ninja Tribe.

Episode 11: Ninja Zone Revisited

Tribes shown so far:
Ninja(Default, Complete)
Girl
Hero/Bug (Complete)
Air (Complete)
Knight
Wing (Complete)
Angel (Complete)
Wizard/Nurse/Idol (Complete)

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
This is so fun to watch. It's way more frantic and fast-paced than you'd think, given the premise. Also, is it just me or does Acceleration Ninja have a more than passing resemblance to a certain blue hedgehog?

I think you're getting to the point that it would be easier to list what you haven't shown off, though there may be more than I realize. It looks like the only tribes you haven't shown at all are Gun, Tank, and Fortress. I vote for Gun.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mana calling Nekobe evil always makes me laugh. Usagi knocking him down a peg makes me laugh, too.

Also, Billy rules.

Sankara fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2013

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Here's a new Arena Watch and Know Your Borg while I'm working on Episode 12, Gun Borgs won.

Arena Watch 4: Sunnyside Park

Know Your Borg 6: Death Borg Omicron

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Oh god, I think I still have this game. I played it to death trying to grab the Fortress Borgs and get all the bonus storylines and whatnot. This might make me play it again and try a clean run.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Here it is, the last episode of the year.

Episode 12: Gunman Style

Happy New Year, I'll see you on the other side!

Unseen Tribes:
Musha
Tank
Fortress

Incomplete Tribes:
Machine
Girl
Knight

Complete Tribes:
Ninja
Hero/Bug
Air
Wing
Angel
Wizard/Nurse/Idol
Gun

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Gatling Gunner unloading his whole clip, then using Hyper Mode to quickly reload and shoot 200+ more bullets is pretty much how I beat the game my first time through.

Show off the rest of the Girls!

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I noticed during the gun borg video that Revolver Gunman will switch between his revolvers midway through his ammo pool. Twelve shots, more than enough to kill anything that moves. It's a nice little detail I never noticed when I played this game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, just wanted to say I'm loving this LP. I wasn't able to watch it before because of some sort of audio problems in the first video, but some days ago I decided to check the thread to see if it was fixed, and it was! So I watched all the videos in the last few days, and found out that an informative LP was much better for this game than I thought it would be. I'm also really happy to see all the Borgs rather than relying on the LPer's luck in getting them.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and add a vote to the Tank tribe if that's how things work, because tanks.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
This let's play inspired me to pick up the game again. You didn't mention this in your video on FLying Saucer, but if you have Flying Saucer at maximum altitude, use your death ray exclusively, and have good aim, you can beat stages quickly without taking much damage. I can't tell you if this strategy stops working eventually, but I've used this strategy on maybe 5-8 stages when the GF energy available to me was 1900-2200. and it works extremely well. The main disadvantage is that if none of the few borgs which pose a noticeable threat spawn, it's rather boring. So it's a strategy best reserved for destroying really tough stages.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Sorry I've been gone for so long, here's the new episode.

Episode 13: Tank Girl: The Video Game

Also, my GF Energy has increased enough to make Dragon Borgs available, so don't forget to vote!

Unseen Tribes:
Musha
Fortress
Dragon

Incomplete Tribes:
Machine
Knight
Tank

Complete Tribes:
Ninja
Hero/Bug
Air
Wing
Angel
Wizard/Nurse/Idol
Gun
Girl

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
Well the three we haven't seen are the ones I want to see most, but I kind of want to save them for last, so I cast my vote for the Machine tribe.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You didn't mention Shadow Girl's main purpose!! Her X attack charges Hyper Mode super super fast.

Anyway, good video. Love me that goofball Yuji. Show off dem Knight borgs.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I'd like to see tanks or dragons personally.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Machine/tank is the way to go.

Unless thats too many. If so then machines.

Also Yuji is my favorite character now. Only because of the nonsense he spouts.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also Yuji is my favorite character now. Only because of the nonsense he spouts.
gently caress Yuji forever. I've known kids in real life who sound depressingly similar to that.

Musha borgs are pretty cool. I never got a chance to use the higher-power ones.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I actually just started watching the latest video now. Don't worry about my name, I really was dumb to pick it in a mostly English-speaking forum and I don't really like it anyway these days. I'll probably change it to something else in the future.

Anyway, thanks for showing off the tanks, I'll be watching them in action.

e: That Death Ark was certainly huge. Do you ever get to play with those things?

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 23, 2014

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY
Voting to see some motherfucking dragons.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mehuyael posted:

I actually just started watching the latest video now. Don't worry about my name, I really was dumb to pick it in a mostly English-speaking forum and I don't really like it anyway these days. I'll probably change it to something else in the future.

Anyway, thanks for showing off the tanks, I'll be watching them in action.

e: That Death Ark was certainly huge. Do you ever get to play with those things?

You probably won't get all the crystals for any of them in your first playthrough, but you can collect and use every fortress in the game save one.

Here's the new episode, let me know how it is. Also, for longer battles, should I show the whole thing or try to cut out fluff bits?

Episode 14: A Machine for Dragons

Guess who has a full collection of Gotcha Borgs? :toot: I haven't used any glitches, so no G Black or Galactic Emperor, but maybe I'll make another file and try to show those two off later on.

Unseen Tribes:
Musha
Fortress

Incomplete Tribes:
Machine
Knight
Tank
Dragon

Complete Tribes:
Ninja
Hero/Bug
Air
Wing
Angel
Wizard/Nurse/Idol
Gun
Girl

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
It's been a while since I've posted one of these, let me start to make up for lost time.

Arena Watch 5: Safaritown Marketplace

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Beam Satellites are such trash. All you have to do is keep moving and they'll never be able to hit you, ever. I'm pretty sure even tanks can dodge their attack by just vroomin' along.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Here's the last of the Knight tribe.

Episode 15: Knight of Fire

Unseen Tribes:
Musha
Fortress

Incomplete Tribes:
Machine
Tank
Dragon

Complete Tribes:
Ninja
Hero/Bug
Air
Wing
Angel
Wizard/Nurse/Idol
Gun
Girl
Knight

I'd say we're around the halfway point of the game, I'll be trying to get some Challenge and Versus Mode footage up sometime.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
It was satisfying seeing that chain of hatchets flying through the air in the last fight. Now however I shall vote for the Tank tribe.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Voting Tank because I can

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Ask and you shall receive.

Episode 16: Tanks for everything!

Unseen Tribes:
Musha
Fortress

Incomplete Tribes:
Machine
Dragon

Complete Tribes:
Ninja
Hero/Bug
Air
Wing
Angel
Wizard/Nurse/Idol
Gun
Girl
Knight
Tank

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I suppose you could say that Gatling Tank was a real glass cannon. :hurr:

(too bad you didn't have a crystal Ultimate Cannon)

Can't decide if I want to see Musha or Machine, so I'll just vote for a Mushine combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mehuyael posted:

I suppose you could say that Gatling Tank was a real glass cannon. :hurr:

(too bad you didn't have a crystal Ultimate Cannon)

Can't decide if I want to see Musha or Machine, so I'll just vote for a Mushine combo.

You'll have to pick one or I will, there's only one vote per person per update.

A little something for the wait:

Arena Watch 6: Stone River

• Locked thread