Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing is, most ToME monsters are just popcorn and don't need to be differentiated, because in gameplay terms, they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nplus1 elephants
Oct 23, 2010
I say it's perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances
Is there some simple way to set default options for Sil?

I like the vi keys for movement and I'm still dying enough that having to keep on going into the options is annoying. I'll probably do the same for some of the colors as well; I don't know how anyone can see that light blue that indicates selection.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

nplus1 elephants posted:

I like the vi keys for movement and I'm still dying enough that having to keep on going into the options is annoying. I'll probably do the same for some of the colors as well; I don't know how anyone can see that light blue that indicates selection.

If it's anything like other Angband-derived games, you can just open your dead character's savefile to make a new character that inherits the options (and, by default, the race/class/whatever, though you can choose a different one).

I'm pretty sure colors can be modified somewhere, but bugger if I can remember where. Used to be by hitting % or ^ or something like that but I think they moved it recently. Check the options screen for stuff about "visuals"?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
ToME didn't win roguelike of the year! The system works.

(the system is busted, look at what won. :laffo:)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ahahahaha yesss

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Link?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's way funnier if you go find it yourself, but here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Ahahaha. Time for a rethink of the award.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aahahahahahahahahahhahaha holy shiiiiiiit

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ahahhahahahahahahahahaha this is great.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ahahahahaha, what the gently caress!? How the hell did this happen?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Looks like it only beat ToME by 48 votes!

You know what they say, "One good turn...". I'm not surprised considering how lackadaisical the award is, just be happy that a pony roguelike didn't flood the charts. I'm sure people will still care too much next year, anyway.

Speaking of end of the year lists, it was brought to my attention that the 7DRL rogue-whatever 868-HACK (recently 86856527) from March popped up on a couple sites' lists recently (mostly indie game sites like Cavanaugh's freeindiegam.es, though apparently it was also on a Gamasutra feature). I'm not too into that scene myself, but I couldn't remember if it was brought up here at all or not. It's a weird neon hacking simulator of sorts which is pretty puzzley. Apparently the dev released an updated iOS version (of the PC original) of which a PC port is coming out sometime next year.

Here's a picture I sloppily re-hosted, because not everything in this thread has to be ASCII :haw::

Fake Edit: Oh, weird, just noticed it was even on the Ascii Dreams voting page blog. Must be going around again.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Amazing, presumably this was a crowd-sourced attempt to expose what a lovely system this poll uses

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

I started tonight translating Crawl's tiles over to ToMe but....holy gently caress there's a lot of them. There's 41 tiles for orcs alone in ToMe. It's mostly all doable without any new art, since we have the player dolls to work with, but some of the boss characters are going to need a lot of creativity.

I got ToME on Steam the other day, and I'm still disappointed by that awful tileset. Are there any other decent / complete ones? A UI overhaul is needed too, jesus.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

I got ToME on Steam the other day, and I'm still disappointed by that awful tileset. Are there any other decent / complete ones? A UI overhaul is needed too, jesus.

It's its biggest downfall, and maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome but you get used to it :v:

Darkgod (the dev behind it) also just registered here and posted a few times in the main ToME thread too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's wrong with ToME's tileset? I really like it, it's easy to read and nice to look at.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I really like it, it's easy to read and nice to look at.

As a counterpoint, I prefer zooming out so that I can actually see threats coming, whereupon I find it murky as hell and can't identify what something is at a glance. It's a problem when 99% of enemies are chaff but 1% you have to look out for because they can spike you down in a few attacks.

Are there any other decent / complete ones? A UI overhaul is needed too, jesus.

I like OldRPG:

There's a version with fixed grass tiles here, but some monsters will still be ascii. I like it because I find it significantly easier to identify what something is at a quick look and it's just that much easier to pick out the significant threats.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks, I installed the grass fix but I can't work out how to enable the new UI?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks, I installed the grass fix but I can't work out how to enable the new UI?

Stick the teaa file into your tomedir/game/addons directory. Before you load a game, go to the addons menu and make sure it's enabled. In-game, the escape menu has a 'choose tiles' option or something on it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This is some of the progress I was able to make on the Crawl>ToMe tileset:

I'd love to play ToMe again with this tileset, but there's no way I'd be able to finish this on my own so I gave up.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Stelas posted:

As a counterpoint, I prefer zooming out so that I can actually see threats coming, whereupon I find it murky as hell and can't identify what something is at a glance. It's a problem when 99% of enemies are chaff but 1% you have to look out for because they can spike you down in a few attacks.

Except most threatening enemies are the same base monster as the "chaff" but they're rares/elites with dangerous abilities. Those have distinct borders that differentiate them from the common stuff. Well, not all of them I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

omeg posted:

Well, not all of them I guess.

It's mostly a problem at early levels, going 'oh hey is that a crappy snake or a rattlesnake' or 'is that a thief or an assassin or something that'll stun and murder me' and stuff like that. I find OldRPG has brighter and better picked-out colours that make that stuff easier to spot.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nothing says erotic like ascii.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

quote:

Aeald to you: "Look at those tits..." :sonia:

You displace Aeald

Your roguelike of the year as decided by the people.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

uPen posted:

quote:

Look at those Tits....

Is it seriously meant to be erotic? I mean could people not just go and read some sex stories rather than have it be part of a roguelike.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The roguelikes thread: You see a pair of tits (extremely dangerous).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

uPen posted:

I don't even want to know what those stats stand for.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha It's a Christmas Miracle!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Geokinesis posted:

Is it seriously meant to be erotic? I mean could people not just go and read some sex stories rather than have it be part of a roguelike.

(L)ook at: Dirt Ground, Dirt Ground, Plain Red Shirt on Dirt Ground, Those Tits, Dirt Ground

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Roguelike Thread: You See Here a Those Tits

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Well, I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but http://helmet.kafuka.org/thepile/Noxico_example_characters

code:
culture
	japanese
invisiblegender
terms
	generic: "cheetah"
	male: "cheetah man"
	female: "cheetah girl"
	herm: "cheetah herm"
ascii
	char: U+010C
tallness: 182
hair
	length: 7
	color: brown
skin
	type
		fur
	color: orange
eyes
	color: gold
face
	cat
ears
	cat
legs
	human
tail
	genbeast
rear end
	size: 5
	fuckable
hips: 8
waist: 2
fertility: 20
breastrow
	amount: 2
	size: 4.2
	nipples: 1
		size: 1.2
	milksource
vagina
	fuckable
	clit: 0.3
charisma: 60
cunning: 40
carnality: 90
sensitivity: 40
speed: 70
strength: 50

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Geokinesis posted:

I'm rock hard.

From investigating this game for about 5 minutes it looks like a lovely roguelike that's interjected with bits of really trashy romance-novel style 'erotic' scenes featuring cats/snakes/whatever you happen to be. Just don't go into the fanart section of the official website.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

uPen posted:

I'm rock hard.

From investigating this game for about 5 minutes it looks like a lovely roguelike that's interjected with bits of really trashy romance-novel style 'erotic' scenes featuring cats/snakes/whatever you happen to be. Just don't go into the fanart section of the official website.

You also can't move diagonally in a game that uses unicode/ascii art. instead 1 3 7 and 9 are supposed to be a radial menu. I am not making this up. You also cannot level up, gain stats, learn spells or do anything. Roguelike of the century,

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The roguelike thread: I rolled a sensitive cheetah man with all the breast perks

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Well, I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but http://helmet.kafuka.org/thepile/Noxico_example_characters

code:
culture
	japanese
invisiblegender
terms
	generic: "cheetah"
	male: "cheetah man"
	female: "cheetah girl"
	herm: "cheetah herm"
ascii
	char: U+010C
tallness: 182
hair
	length: 7
	color: brown
skin
	type
		fur
	color: orange
eyes
	color: gold
face
	cat
ears
	cat
legs
	human
tail
	genbeast
rear end
	size: 5
	fuckable
hips: 8
waist: 2
fertility: 20
breastrow
	amount: 2
	size: 4.2
	nipples: 1
		size: 1.2
	milksource
vagina
	fuckable
	clit: 0.3
charisma: 60
cunning: 40
carnality: 90
sensitivity: 40
speed: 70
strength: 50

Reads a bit like that FATAL tabletop game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I eagerly await Andrew's future posts in this thread defending the contest.

Which do you think he'll go with?
"Sex sells."
"The poll doesn't mean anything. It's just for fun."
or "Noxico deserved to win. If you really cared about your favorite roguelike you would have spoofed the poll harder than that."

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

DalaranJ posted:

I eagerly await Andrew's future posts in this thread defending the contest.

Which do you think he'll go with?
"Sex sells."
"The poll doesn't mean anything. It's just for fun."
or "Noxico deserved to win. If you really cared about your favorite roguelike you would have spoofed the poll harder than that."

Ideally, all of us RL developers will proudly add "Not As Good As Noxico!" to the back of our boxes.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I just started playing Risk of Rain, the action platformer with roguelike elements. Except for the game maker limitations (the iffy 1995 netcode for multiplayer, the dodgy enemy attack frames at lower FPS and the poor optimization), it's pretty solid. The classes are pretty good (especially the Commando, which is fortunate because you spend a LOT of time with at the start), the abilities and ability cooldowns are well balanced (at least as far as I've played or seen), and the items themselves have a real Binding of Isaac thing going on. I'd love to see the developers able to make this in a less limiting framework, as unlikely as that may be. The dungeons are less randomized than one would expect but every playthrough still feels varied.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any good newbie guides for getting a chaotic character off the ground in ADOM? I'm new to ADOM in general and Chaos Knight has been a pretty fun but most information/guides I can find are for neutral/lawful characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Did they seriously do a single-choice plurality vote across 300 different options

Jesus loving christ