Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

PYF pic of JJ Abrams' home editing bay

I don't have that one, but I do have Hans Zimmer...

:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Just moved into a new place, putting my desk together. Gonna store some poo poo under the trestles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't have that one, but I do have Hans Zimmer...

:iia:

this is where the inception horn was created, we must burn it to the ground.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Zimmer just sampled another song in the movie to make it, so it could be argued we should hunt down Edith Piaf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginQNMiRu2w&t=290s

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I just moved to a new place, in a new town. I vowed to not live like poo poo.

Old place:

New (so far, need art/decoration):

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Got a new MacBook to add to the party.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crosspost from IYG:

It's nice to finally have a complete sound system for gaming/music.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nm

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

lovely picture but I guess you can see what's going on.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

benisntfunny posted:

Got a new MacBook to add to the party.

Isn't it really awkward to use the macbook when it's that high?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

With something like Synergy to share mouse and keyboard it's the perfect height

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Super Dude posted:

Isn't it really awkward to use the macbook when it's that high?

carry on then posted:

With something like Synergy to share mouse and keyboard it's the perfect height

Which is exactly what's going on there.

Yeah - I bet it would be really hard to use otherwise.

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
Finally got me one of those mechanical keyboards.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
added a monitor mount

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

benisntfunny posted:

Which is exactly what's going on there.

Yeah - I bet it would be really hard to use otherwise.

It's not too bad to occasionally reach over and poke at but if the task was going to take more than a few seconds I would try to do it some other way.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

wasp_f15ing posted:

Finally got me one of those mechanical keyboards.

What switches did you go with?

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
I got the cherry mx Browns, as I heard they were best for gaming and weren't very noisy.

After spending some time with it. I would like something stiffer that is harder to press, do any of use stiff Cherry MX switches, of is which ones would you go for?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wasp_f15ing posted:

I got the cherry mx Browns, as I heard they were best for gaming and weren't very noisy.

After spending some time with it. I would like something stiffer that is harder to press, do any of use stiff Cherry MX switches, of is which ones would you go for?

Blacks are what you're describing.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Go with buckling springs, you'll never go back.

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

Omg.. you can still buy those?

I used to use one of those with an Archimedes. That was probably the most satisfying keyboard I ever used.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wasp_f15ing posted:

Blacks are the stiff ones, they also don't have that hump that you get halfway through the keystroke. You will want to kill yourself halfway through typing a 10,000 word essay though. I would argue that reds are best for gaming - like blacks only featherlight - but browns are a good balance between typing and gaming.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I honestly don't see the appeal of the bump when typing. Red supremacy.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Anyone know what it is about clears that makes them so ~*~rare and exclusive~*~?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pretty Cool Name posted:

I honestly don't see the appeal of the bump when typing. Topre supremacy.

Ftfy

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Look at these none blue key users, kind of sad. I'll post my new Poker II whenever I get it's cable (yes I do need a 27 dollar braided usb cable urmph!)

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

A close friend of mine swore by the blues and advised me to get a Blackwidow ultimate with blue keys, do they have an extra clicky sound?

I wish I could order a bunch of these keys to test them out. I find that the browns after few days use are far too squishy. I want more resistance and a bit more of satisfying click to tell me I am done.
Since my gaming room is isolated noise is not a factor.

All said, I am finding the satisfaction of the mechanical keyboard rather pleasing. I am finding I am typing much faster with less errors than my standard cheapo "TRUST" keyboard which I got in 2005.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I had a Blackwidow Ultimate and the only reason I got rid of it was because I found the Model M. It's noisy and about as clicky as you get before you go buckling spring.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pretty Cool Name posted:

I honestly don't see the appeal of the bump when typing. Red supremacy.

The idea is that unlike crappy keyboards, on a mechanical you only have to push the key halfway down for it to register, the bump indicates the point where it activates, and trains you not to keep depressing the button. If you're a proper typist it lets you type much faster. That's also why blues make a loud clicking sound when you reach that point.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
Just finished setting up after a move, what do you guys think?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
^ Whats up just moved buddy?

Finally got things set up in my studio a little better. Next purchase will be some acoustic sound tiles and maybe I'll get around to painting the walls! (hahahahaha)

Ikea Galant, bunch of stupid music gear, and a fake mac with a bunch of real mac crap plugged into it

Instrument and some prints made by a buddy and a flyer for a show I played that I liked

Here's a panorama of the room. Toolbox is going to work with me as soon as I get off of my christmas holiday

Thorpe fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 31, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey Thorpe, is that an Axe-Fx II and a Matrix poweramp? Very nice!

How do you like that Matrix poweramp with that Port City cab, and how does the Axe sound direct through those Yamahas?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

GreatGreen posted:

Hey Thorpe, is that an Axe-Fx II and a Matrix poweramp? Very nice!

How do you like that Matrix poweramp with that Port City cab, and how does the Axe sound direct through those Yamahas?

Yep! Haven't been happier with my tone since getting my Axe-fx 2. It sounds quite lovely through my Yamahas. The Matrix is a GT1000fx, and I couldn't imagine using a different power amp. I tried running into the power section of a couple different amps for a bit, and then tried a Carvin power amp (sounded close but I wanted a light as possible rig). The Port city cab used to sport a V30 and a Retro 30, but I just recently replaced them with a set of Century Vintage speakers. The cabinet now feels like it doesn't even have any speakers inside of it. They are a bit brighter, but its a smooth brightness, not harsh or shrill. The bass is crystal clear, and pretty dang tight too. I had a bit of flub with the v30 combo but these things sound awesome. Just have to turn the treble/presence down, or through in an EQ block.

My band just recently broke up, but I used to use this rig in a power chord punk band. Sound guys loved it, and my the bassist/singer got to make fun of me for plugging my guitar into a spaceship. The Axe-FX lived up to every bit of hype I heard about it to me. Don't see myself going back to tubes anytime soon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Very cool. Yeah I love my Axe-Fx II also. I bought one about a year ago and haven't really even thought about tube amps since. I don't even look over at the amp section in music stores when I go buy strings anymore.

I'm using a VHT (now Fryette) 2/90/2 poweramp into a 2x12 cab and it sounds fantastic, and I'm about to get a really nice pair of speakers that double as full range reference monitors and floor wedges so I can finally hear the Axe with full cab/mic emulation and all. Cannot wait.

To keep the post relevant to the thread... I'll post my setup in a few days once these speakers get to my place!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ooooh, nifty. What monitors are those?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
They look like newer Yamaha HS monitors. And yeah, the AxeFX is the truth. Every guitar player I know personally who's grabbed one has sold everything else they owned afterwards.

Anyways, I just moved from a Macbook Air to a Hackintosh rig after realizing I never took my laptop anywhere and inheriting a free nice tower that happened to work with Mavericks without a hitch. That gave me the opportunity to clean up without hubs and cables running all over the place.

The monitors are M-Audio SP-5Bs which I've owned since around 2001. I'm not sure if there's a single thing I've owned longer. They're not even that good, they're just what I'm used to.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ooooh, nifty. What monitors are those?

They are a set of Yamaha HS80m monitors. Not the newest series they have out, but I really like these things.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
What are you guys using to drive the monitors? I'm thinking about using some old Polk bookshelf speakers instead of the $20 Logitech budget poo poo I'm using, but putting $100+ into an amp seems like overkill.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Antioch posted:

What are you guys using to drive the monitors? I'm thinking about using some old Polk bookshelf speakers instead of the $20 Logitech budget poo poo I'm using, but putting $100+ into an amp seems like overkill.

Unless I am mistaken, both sets of monitors mentioned so far are active, or self powered and each monitor comes with a two-pronged power cable you plug into the wall.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Antioch posted:

Right, those are all active speakers. You could get something like http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-1-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B001PNOH2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388591163&sr=8-1&keywords=dta-1 for your Polks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Antioch posted:

I think you would be much happier with a set of Dayton Audio B652's. I run a set of those and they sound really nice. For driving them people like to recommend discrete amps but I find they are overpriced for the amount of power and features on them. I run my speakers off a "Micro Stereo Receiver" or something similar to this:

My particular one is a Teac that I snagged for $50. I feel you get more power and features looking for something like that than a discrete amp.

Also, with my monitor, Dell 2713hm, if I run an xbox or ps3 in with hdmi it has a line level 3.5 mm stereo output. So I can use a 3.5mm to rca adapter and get sound out of the monitor to my speakers.