Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well in their defense they don't put stop signs on alleys. You still have to stop though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
On the flip side, I recently got a lady to flip me off and shout angrily into her closed driver's side window by remaining stopped at my stop sign while she tried to 'wave me through' the intersection. It was a two-way stop and her street was the through street while mine had the stop, she sat there waving, flashing and honking for a good 20 seconds before she apparently got fed up with me.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I used to drive box truck for work (Isuzu NPR) and we were instructed to never react to someone waiving us through a intersection or to waive someone through as well. Way to much liability.

When you drive around with over 500+ pounds of dry fertilizer and 700 gallons of herbicide/pesticide and liquid fertilizer you become paranoid as hell.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I live it when people get wound up that I won't go when waved out, completely ignoring that they are on the inside lane of a dual carriageway, and the outer lane is 1) not properly visible from my position 2) still moving along even though their lane is stationary.

Yes, random stranger, I shall obediently risk an at-fault collision because to do otherwise would show a lack of gratitude for your apparent courtesy and so insult you...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Geoj posted:

What about people you share a parking lot with?

There's a set of shops near me that has a one-way system in its parking lot. Terrible loving idea, but that's what they've got and it's not quite wide enough to pass the inevitable fuckwit driving the wrong way through it. I've avoided it for years because I usually get blocked in by someone going the wrong way, but I had to go there the other day. They've tried. They really have.

They've installed a giant No Entry sign next to the exit, and a bollard and curb that means there's only just room for one car to exit. It has a solid fat white line painted across the exit, a painted arrow indicating the direction you're supposed to go every 20 feet, and a giant "one way, enter here" sign on the entry.

I was blocked in by the inevitable fuckwit driving through it the wrong way and yelling at me to back up. There were 4 other cars behind me, all going the right way, which he could clearly see.

I'm 100% certain that if they put those one-way tire spikes on the exit, they'd have to tow a couple of people a day out of there. People round here aren't usually awful drivers, so I don't know what the gently caress is up with this one place. Maybe 20 years ago it went the other way or was wider or something and everyone just failed to adapt.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

InitialDave posted:

Yes, random stranger, I shall obediently risk an at-fault collision because to do otherwise would show a lack of gratitude for your apparent courtesy and so insult you...

I've been the guy barrelling down the other lane in that situation. Left a nice long skid mark and stopped a foot from the minivan full of terrified faces turning in front of me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
There was a crosswalk across a major, 4 lane street (35mph speed limit no one followed) that separated my house from my college in St. Paul (snelling ave).
In Minnesota, I had absolute right of way, but knowing that right of way won't stop a car, I'd wait for it to clear. Inevitably, I'd have one car in the four lane stop and start frantically waiving me to cross --often while the other 3 lanes would fly right on by at speed. I would refuse. One time, some guy started screaming at me for not crossing as he waited, no matter that I'd have been stranded in the middle (there was no island) as the other traffic was heavy.
One time it was a cop who stopped and he pulled over the cars that flew by him as he was stopped at the crosswalk. That was pretty sweet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's an big established culture of "gently caress you, the road is for cars" here in America. When you encounter a community that has put serious effort into helping pedestrians the difference is pretty amazing. There's a lot of grumbling at first but eventually drivers acclimate and everything just works.

Probably the best example I can think of is Boulder, Colorado. But I know there's others.. lots of smaller towns here in the Chicago suburbs have signs posted that give pedestrians more privileges and the police actively enforce it. Downtown areas of big cities are usually pretty good too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

G-Mach posted:

I used to drive box truck for work (Isuzu NPR) and we were instructed to never react to someone waiving us through a intersection or to waive someone through as well. Way to much liability.

When you drive around with over 500+ pounds of dry fertilizer and 700 gallons of herbicide/pesticide and liquid fertilizer you become paranoid as hell.

I'll give cars (and especially trucks) all the space they need to merge or pull out into stop-and-go traffic and so on, but I'll never ever actively wave them through or otherwise signal.

The liability is simply too great, and it's illegal for anyone but the police or the Home Guard (National Guard equivalent) to direct traffic.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I live it when people get wound up that I won't go when waved out, completely ignoring that they are on the inside lane of a dual carriageway, and the outer lane is 1) not properly visible from my position 2) still moving along even though their lane is stationary.

I've seen lots of accidents because of this, and I just ignore people when they do it to me.

Honestly, it should be a moving violation, and If I was a cop I'd ticket the gently caress out of people for doing it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dear every driver in Miami: Use your loving cruise controls, you god damned twats.

Signed: MrYenko

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

leica posted:

I've seen lots of accidents because of this, and I just ignore people when they do it to me.

Honestly, it should be a moving violation, and If I was a cop I'd ticket the gently caress out of people for doing it.

I love the sheepish "whoops" wave and look you get from them after someone blasts through in the opposite lane between you after they wave you over. I'm pretty OCD with my mirror and window checks when pulling onto a road and I've been taught to TRUST NO-ONE on the road, but I know that many people will just pull out when given a wave or flash.

Getting T-boned is not particularly high on my list of things to do.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Dear every driver in Miami: Use your loving cruise controls, you god damned twats.

I know it's a circular logic thing but I generally don't unless I'm on 95 Express: traffic's too unpredictable and changes too much for me to cruise.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'll leave a space if I can, but I won't wave someone though. It's on them to determine if its safe to go.

I marthoned this thread the last couple days. One of my biggest peeves are cars going under the speed limit in rolling roadblock formation on an otherwise clear road (bonus points if one accelerates quickly to 5 under while the other accelerates slowly to 5 over, never being more than 1/2 a car length apart). I just wanna pass and enjoy not having cars around me.

But, what I hate the most is riding along in the left lane and having a car come out of a side street or parking lot, across the right lane, and parking themselves in front of me. I left you room to pull out safely into the proper lane and now I'm hitting my brakes to avoid an accident.

Around here, only about 20% of drivers can navigate a turn into the closest lane. Left hand turns end in the right hand lane. Right hand turns in the left hand lane. It's great seeing two cars turn onto the same road from opposite directions and pirouette past each other oblivious .

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

There's an big established culture of "gently caress you, the road is for cars" here in America. When you encounter a community that has put serious effort into helping pedestrians the difference is pretty amazing. There's a lot of grumbling at first but eventually drivers acclimate and everything just works.

Probably the best example I can think of is Boulder, Colorado. But I know there's others.. lots of smaller towns here in the Chicago suburbs have signs posted that give pedestrians more privileges and the police actively enforce it. Downtown areas of big cities are usually pretty good too.

I will stop for pedestrians waiting to cross at a marked crosswalk and have been known to even block traffic on occasion to allow for a safe cross, but educating pedestrians about how to safely cross beyond "You have right of way, good luck" backfires horribly. In Appleton, Wi, there are some expensive crosswalks, flashing lights, reflector strips, signs, the works. Even with all of that it seems that the Lawrence University (expensive music school) kids tend to step the curb buried in their phones the instant a car enters the crosswalk and gets smacked. Or my personal favorite, rides a bike into a crosswalk at full speed expecting cars to come to a complete stop for them regardless of distance.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I love the sheepish "whoops" wave and look you get from them after someone blasts through in the opposite lane between you after they wave you over. I'm pretty OCD with my mirror and window checks when pulling onto a road and I've been taught to TRUST NO-ONE on the road, but I know that many people will just pull out when given a wave or flash.

Getting T-boned is not particularly high on my list of things to do.

Ask my wife how she learned not to trust that wave through. She learned the hard way while driving my new truck about 12 years ago. Luckily she gunned it once she realized her mistake and took the hell-of-a-hard hit in the side of the bed instead of the driver's door. She still talks about how I didn't even ask about the truck once when I got that call. :)

Now I have a hard time convincing her to go if both lanes are stopped in traffic and leaving a gap on a street with a clear chicken lane.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm catching up with this thread, and a ways back we were talking about overloaded trucks. We get these guys everywhere in St. Louis.

Ratty old pickups with pallets stacked to the sky. I'm assuming these guys just drive around looking for pallets behind buildings to haul back to some pallet hording palletman that's building a spaceship made of pallets or something. The heights these guys are willing to stack their pallets to is astounding. The truck pictured isn't even all that high but it's the best picture I could find of a palletman.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

trouser chili posted:

I'm catching up with this thread, and a ways back we were talking about overloaded trucks. We get these guys everywhere in St. Louis.

Ratty old pickups with pallets stacked to the sky. I'm assuming these guys just drive around looking for pallets behind buildings to haul back to some pallet hording palletman that's building a spaceship made of pallets or something. The heights these guys are willing to stack their pallets to is astounding. The truck pictured isn't even all that high but it's the best picture I could find of a palletman.

They're common here too, but with the added bonus of the truck generally having its frame clearly broken, dog walking at like a fifteen degree angle, multiple bald tires, sometimes all at once.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

trouser chili posted:

I'm assuming these guys just drive around looking for pallets behind buildings to haul back to some pallet hording palletman that's building a spaceship made of pallets or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjhjaN5zKI

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Companies will actually pay money for used pallets, not much though. They are literally scrappers specializing in pallets, and their vehicles and load securing skills show it.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Could be using them as free firewood too, dried out old pallets burn drat good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fralbjabar posted:

Could be using them as free firewood too, dried out old pallets burn drat good.

As it so happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QmZ2vvCqb0

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Someone needs to start a charity to give crazy rednecks and pikeys who do insane poo poo like this proper video cameras so that the rest of the world can enjoy their lunacy from a safe distance without having to deal with horrible video quality.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Those are some of his first videos, circa 2007. Cameras (and youtube itself) were poo poo back then; his newer videos are a lot higher quality, but just as mad.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
There was a fire at a local pallet company a couple months ago, complete with 1000gal propane tank explosion:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130908/articles/130909592#page=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSyU0_fnWHw#t=111

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think my favorite thing ever is when people signal to change lanes wayyyyy too late and get frustrated when they can't merge so they floor it away.

Is planning your lane change in advance really that hard?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I drove home to CT to visit my family for the holiday. I sincerely recommend against driving 12 hours straight twice in seven days. Pandora's comedy channels helped me get through them for sure. What drove me absolutely loving crazy, however, was the fact that people are simply unable to maintain their speed. I set my cruise control at no more than 3 mph over whatever the limit was in any given area. If I came up on slower-moving traffic, I would signal, pass them, and get back in the right lane, maintaining my exact speed. Then a minute later they'd be on my rear end, pull over to pass me, get back in the right lane ahead of me...and then I'd catch up to them and the dance would repeat. Why the gently caress can't you just find a comfortable speed and stick with it??

If anyone's familiar with the route I took, it's I-77 to I-81 to I-84 (and then the same in reverse). Mostly straight, mostly two lanes, excellent visibility, boring as gently caress. I find that the most erratic drivers are in PA. Those fuckers simply don't understand the fact that the left lane is for passing. They are more than glad to bunch up in clumps of 10 cars, five in each lane, all tailgating the gently caress out of each other, no one passing anyone.

Oh and one more thing - I could not BELIEVE the distance at which some cars would follow 18-wheelers (and to a lesser extent, other cars). I'm talking five feet behind the underride guard, at 70 miles per hour, for extended amounts of time. Do these people not understand that they are taking their very lives into their hands? It astounds me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I may be wrong but tailgating a semi truck is a lot less dangerous than cutting one off. Cars can significantly outbrake trucks... the problem is if they follow so closely (5 feet probably is too drat close) that they hit the truck before they can hit the brakes because of lovely reaction times.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

The Midniter posted:

I drove home to CT to visit my family for the holiday. I sincerely recommend against driving 12 hours straight twice in seven days. Pandora's comedy channels helped me get through them for sure. What drove me absolutely loving crazy, however, was the fact that people are simply unable to maintain their speed. I set my cruise control at no more than 3 mph over whatever the limit was in any given area. If I came up on slower-moving traffic, I would signal, pass them, and get back in the right lane, maintaining my exact speed. Then a minute later they'd be on my rear end, pull over to pass me, get back in the right lane ahead of me...and then I'd catch up to them and the dance would repeat. Why the gently caress can't you just find a comfortable speed and stick with it??

If anyone's familiar with the route I took, it's I-77 to I-81 to I-84 (and then the same in reverse). Mostly straight, mostly two lanes, excellent visibility, boring as gently caress. I find that the most erratic drivers are in PA. Those fuckers simply don't understand the fact that the left lane is for passing. They are more than glad to bunch up in clumps of 10 cars, five in each lane, all tailgating the gently caress out of each other, no one passing anyone.

Oh and one more thing - I could not BELIEVE the distance at which some cars would follow 18-wheelers (and to a lesser extent, other cars). I'm talking five feet behind the underride guard, at 70 miles per hour, for extended amounts of time. Do these people not understand that they are taking their very lives into their hands? It astounds me.

I don't have cruise control, sorry :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Midniter posted:

Do these people not understand that they are taking their very lives into their hands? It astounds me.

Clearly the risk of death is worth the extra 1 or 2 MPG they get from drafting in the truck's slipstream!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

trouser chili posted:

Don't laugh too hard that guy is hauling about $600+ in pallets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part is you don't even have to tailgate to get the efficiency advantages, the wash behind a truck is enormous. Mythbusters tested it a long ways back, it was a fairly interesting episode. A safe 1-2 second gap is good enough to get some fuel savings if that's what you're after.

I don't think it matters much these days though, my feeling is that light cars benefit more than heavy ones. My old VW could drive 5-10 MPH faster trailing a truck just because of the reduced air pressure. In the newer cars I've owned, it's a much smaller difference.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
New vehicles have sudden stop braking technologies so slipstreaming for hyper milers is getting even safer

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

BraveUlysses posted:

New vehicles have sudden stop braking technologies so slipstreaming for hyper milers is getting even safer

Unless of course the truck rides the rumble strips. You might think you are saving money on fuel, but windshields aren't cheap.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
From Facebook:

"Yea loving batteries are frozen but I don't think the -40 (celsius) has anything to do with it. Fak"

If you look at the first pic you can see he went out of his way to NOT use the GFI in the bathroom

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That problem should solve itself pretty quickly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The part that's in the water is only 13.8 volts, no big deal, just don't stick both arms in it :v:

Also, -40 is -40 whether you mean F or C, it's cool that way. Literally. :rimshot:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I see nothing wrong with that. The current coming out of the chargers isn't enough to do anything, and the water won't hurt the batteries because they're sealed.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Yeah 14.4V at low amps in water isn't going to do crap to you. Haven't you ever done electroplating with a battery charger before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you soak both hands (no skin effect) and touch the terminals you are going to have a real bad day, it only takes a couple milliamps to make your muscles seize and your heart stop, but you have to be a moron to pull off something like that.

Either way the GFCI won't do a drat thing to save your rear end when that happens, it will view you as part of the load, but it WILL nuisance trip constantly due to the parasitic current down the drain through the water/pipes.