Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Archonex posted:

This occurs because people hosting are stupid and leave the console option on in the config files, from what I can tell.

Coincidentally, after seeing how much damage it can do, I turned it off on my server and use a remote connection to the game to handle admin stuff. We haven't had any problems with people spawning in massive item stashes since then.

That should fix the invincible super-speed guys who can pull full stacks of any item out of thin air, but it won't do anything about the UI bug we were abusing last night to dupe rocket launchers on pubbie servers. All you have to do is find one of an item, then you can produce infinite copies of it (one at a time) without any console fuckery or repeated login/logout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
yeah we limit that on Archonex's server, but on pubbie servers, We're full fledged rocket lawnchairs.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Your server was the one massive duping was happening on...

There's three kinds of duping that I know of. There's the duping from saves backing up improperly, there's duping/item generation via the console (according to a forum post), and then there's the poo poo that we just had, where some guy logged on using a hack of some sort.

The one I was referring too was the second one. Though I was hoping the third was really the second, since I fixed that method. Some guy just logged on with a hidden name and tried to delete huge swathes of the server, so i'm working on banning him now.

Edit: Also, I guess there's a UI bug too. Wasn't aware of that, but whatever. It's version five of an alpha. This stuff is expected. The hacking thing is easy to fix since I have a server manager here that backs up the world every hour or so though. So that just leaves the UI bug and saves bugging out. And the latter of that can't really be manipulated to your benefit since it's random if it works.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 31, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I like to think that TNT duping is a form of explosive procreation. Like, a stack of TNT detonating is actually the equivalent of a climax, and the little baby TNTs it leaves behind are all of its newborn children. By duping TNT I am ensuring future generations of TNT will live on forever.

Guess they shouldn't have dropped that nuke on Gravetown, now everything is weird as all get out.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Archonex posted:

So that just leaves the UI bug and saves bugging out. And the latter of that can't really be manipulated to your benefit since it's random if it works.

The save thing can be abused, but it either takes forever or everyone on the server knows you're duping because you're constantly connecting and disconnecting.

There's no reason to do that anyway unless you don't know how to do the UI bug.

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
Yeah you can definitely UI dupe on the LLJK server - I was doing it earlier.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

dupe free or die

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
Who cares about duping its alpha. the game is buggy and deletes items. servers crash and roll back deleting some times hours of work and items. when the games in full release then worry about duping.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can cars be beaten into lots of metal, or am I wasting my time with this sledgehammer?

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Can cars be beaten into lots of metal, or am I wasting my time with this sledgehammer?

they will explode and kill you

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Some cars can, the ones you find out in the world that are just like frames can be destroyed but it takes awhile.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Also don't try to mine fuel pumps

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
There doesn't appear to be anyone in the mumble, so I assume it's safe. However I had to reboot the server.

For some reason it was sending my graphics card into fits. The fan was running at top speed and sounded like the thing was about to burn out. Rebooting it now, but if it does it again I may need to spend some time figuring out the cause. Would rather not lose the machine itself. :wtc:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
In the released version I'd like to see a craftable item (fireworks or something) that summons a massive loving horde to where-ever you set it off. Preferably lasting all night.

I just don't get enough zombies to really make a dent in my defenses and I enjoy building fortresses. :)

(I know humans are the real danger but sometimes you want zombies to be a threat in the zombie survival game and that just isn't the case after you get a half decent fortress set up. Or just knock down the stars in a brick building.)

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Archonex posted:

There doesn't appear to be anyone in the mumble, so I assume it's safe. However I had to reboot the server.

For some reason it was sending my graphics card into fits. The fan was running at top speed and sounded like the thing was about to burn out. Rebooting it now, but if it does it again I may need to spend some time figuring out the cause. Would rather not lose the machine itself. :wtc:

Are you running this from home or a VPS? Wonder if I could host something on my crappy cable upload speed.. Every time I try to connect to your server it doesn't work :|

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
I think zombies in their current numbers would be all right if they were a little more effective at getting into buildings / tearing them down. As it stands, even with dynamite it takes players a lot of effort to bring a building down, much less zombies.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Renditious posted:

I think zombies in their current numbers would be all right if they were a little more effective at getting into buildings / tearing them down. As it stands, even with dynamite it takes players a lot of effort to bring a building down, much less zombies.

If they can't find a path to a player, they should just beat on walls or whatever is handy. We'll see a lot more burned-out/half collapsed buildings. Get this apocalypse into high gear!

VVV People need to be able to see some of those server settings, or at least "can you see players on the map" and "difficulty".

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 1, 2014

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Renditious posted:

The only problem with buffing zombies as they are is completely new people would get their poo poo wrecked even more than they do now. Maybe the zombies slowly increase in numbers or power as the game goes on? (for SP/coop at least)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Archonex posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but supposedly the server client has a memory leak, so regular restarts of the server might be a good idea.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

TheChad posted:

In the released version I'd like to see a craftable item (fireworks or something) that summons a massive loving horde to where-ever you set it off. Preferably lasting all night.

I just don't get enough zombies to really make a dent in my defenses and I enjoy building fortresses. :)

(I know humans are the real danger but sometimes you want zombies to be a threat in the zombie survival game and that just isn't the case after you get a half decent fortress set up. Or just knock down the stars in a brick building.)

If you're set up in the countryside, try setting up in Gravetown or Diersville or by the gas station in the desert. Massive hordes all day erryday.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

YellerBill posted:

If you're set up in the countryside, try setting up in Gravetown or Diersville or by the gas station in the desert. Massive hordes all day erryday.

That gas station is a newbie trap to end all newbie traps. First time playing I stumbled across it, saw the 'fortifications' and assumed it was safe.

Roughly ten seconds after it got dark a massive horde crashed through all the doors/walls simultaneously. :D

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

TheChad posted:

That gas station is a newbie trap to end all newbie traps. First time playing I stumbled across it, saw the 'fortifications' and assumed it was safe.

Roughly ten seconds after it got dark a massive horde crashed through all the doors/walls simultaneously. :D

Hey you said you wanted a challenge :devil:

Although I do really kinda hate the massive hordes that spawn at the gas station because it's such a cool place to hole up but there is literally a small city's worth of zombies there.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

YellerBill posted:

Hey you said you wanted a challenge :devil:

Although I do really kinda hate the massive hordes that spawn at the gas station because it's such a cool place to hole up but there is literally a small city's worth of zombies there.

I have a fortress built kind of close by (the two story wood lodge in the burnt zone nearby, to which i'm adding a 6 tile deep moat filled with spikes.) and i'll randomly have ten or so zombies converge on me at once in broad daylight. I wonder if they are wandering in from the gas station. :D

Also, holy christ the amount of shotgun ammo you can get after ten minutes of digging...

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Yeah, it's not really that hard to become completely self-sufficient even after the server has been completely scavenged. I just wish there was a way to make ammo and weapons other then shotguns...

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Renditious posted:

Yeah, it's not really that hard to become completely self-sufficient even after the server has been completely scavenged. I just wish there was a way to make ammo and weapons other then shotguns...

You can make crossbows and bolts too! I don't remember the recipes off the top of my head but they're fairly cheap.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

YellerBill posted:

Also, gravedigging near the church, they'll make like altered beast and RISE FROM THEIR GRAVES every night.

Second, zombies love chasing sounds. If they can't see you, and don't have something to chase, they'll run after any sounds they hear. Holding down the throw button to pitch a small stone(the ones used for making bolts) a good ways away doesn't really work all that well, as their sense of hearing for sounds seems to be poo poo compared to their ability to detect you walking or eating corn through three layers of stone, but whatever v:v:v

You can also use a crossbow and bolts to lure them away, as long as they don't spot you. sight seems to set them to an irreversible bloodrage, but sounds can be forgiven to some extent, especially with a bit of distance and constant crouching(?).

Still in Alpha 5, people.

EDIT: Crossbow is sticks [1] and plant fiber(made from grass) [2]:

[ ][ ][1][1][1]
[ ][ ][2][1][1]
[ ][ ][1][2][1]
[ ][1][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Bolts are same diagonal, but they are feather, stick, and small_stone.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Are there any good videos of this game in action? Youtube seems barren except a few super obnoxious pubbie types.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Flesnolk posted:

Are there any good videos of this game in action? Youtube seems barren except a few super obnoxious pubbie types.

I've been trying to get some good footage of goons in action but I keep getting lovely framerates when I try to record. If you want I can upload some of the crappy 5-frames-per-second test footage so you can see Murderchurch II in action. :shrug:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

How to get loot:

-craft a crossbow
-craft arrows
-snipe pubbies
-loot pubbies

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Danith posted:

Are you running this from home or a VPS? Wonder if I could host something on my crappy cable upload speed.. Every time I try to connect to your server it doesn't work :|

Home, but people have been having trouble connecting to any server sometimes. I've got a pretty strong connection though. Enough to host multiple games at once with no latency based lag on any of them. The connection and machine itself are pretty much built for this stuff since I sperged out on it when I built it.

That being said I did have the server down a bit earlier, since I was checking out the GPU temperature. It's back up now, but it turns out that the alpha of a game has some issues. So that might be why you couldn't connect. :v:

If it still doesn't let you on, let me know. That means something is up that I need to fix.

So as mentioned, goons discovered a real church and promptly busted out the shovels to see if the graves actually had coffins beneath them. Turns out they do, and turns out they're lootable. So goons being goons, shovels were passed out to everyone and a grave robbing spree began.

It also turns out that apparently the zombies sometimes like to spawn from the coffins at night. So grave robbing has consequences. :stonk:

Making things worse, the coffins were just deep enough underground so that if you fell in you were trapped in one until you could dig your way out. Meaning not only could you be trapped in a pit at night while zombies swarmed you when fleeing back inside, but sometimes you were trapped in a pit in very close proximity to an annoyed zombie.

So one intrepid goon took the glass panes I made and plated over the graves. This had the effect of letting players look inside to see the zombie trapped inside futilely wriggling around, effectively creating a "blinged out graveyard" full of corpses for viewing potential. :v:

Steam didn't save screenshots of it so i'll see if I can get some zombie banging on the glass as he wakes up.

TheChad posted:

I have a fortress built kind of close by (the two story wood lodge in the burnt zone nearby, to which i'm adding a 6 tile deep moat filled with spikes.) and i'll randomly have ten or so zombies converge on me at once in broad daylight. I wonder if they are wandering in from the gas station. :D

Also, holy christ the amount of shotgun ammo you can get after ten minutes of digging...

They're definitely wandering in. The game appears to have multiple types of zombie spawns. Some seem to be held "in memory" if they were spawned in an area previously (Not sure about this, but i've gotten rushed by old hordes that I thought I had left behind when returning to an area in the past.), others appear to be able to migrate from chunks that aren't visible (These tend to be the ones that utterly loving zerg you, if you aren't in a city.), there's the usual spawns that populate the world every day, and then there's the ones that hang around buildings.

There's probably more, but i'm not sure. What goons have noticed is that the game does seem to have a rudimentary stealth system in, even if it says it's coming soon. You can see it by bringing out a gun. Fire it and the zombies will come running to see what the noise is. Presumably this is why you can throw cans too.

The end result is that if you're making a lot of noise in an area, they'll come wandering from other areas if it's close enough to see what's up. They also seem to prioritize people who aren't crouching over people who are, though that may just be goon luck loving over pubbies. Regardless, that's probably why the first Murderchurch never had any zombie spawns except for maybe 6 a night. It was far too out of the way to easily attract nearby zombie hordes, since it was in the middle of a fairly massive forest.

Edit: Also, this game is apparently one of the top sellers on Steam.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 1, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Game is on a flash sale for the next 8 hours. $23.44. I just bit the bullet on it. Hope it becomes voxelized Cataclysm

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If you want good stuff, get to Gravestown as soon as you can and start looking for desk safes sat out on the street near buildings. I was listening to one guy on mumble talk about how he'd cleared out Gravestown while I found 3 rocket launchers, 7 rockets, and a sniper rifle with 2 clips, from 2 safes near each other.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
First thing I saw in this: Some guy with a whole armoury of poo poo firing at zombies from a roof. Until the zombies punched out the building from under him. I laughed at him and he called me a oval office :(
I looted his gear and shot the dude when he wandered back over.

What's the best way to play with you guys? Just hop in the mumble channel?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I knew it! I knew if I waited it would go on super sale. Right now it's only $24 on steam. Ends in like an hour. Get to it goons.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Philosopher King posted:

I knew it! I knew if I waited it would go on super sale. Right now it's only $24 on steam. Ends in like an hour. Get to it goons.

I saw this game for the first time through that on my phone, saw nobody talking about it in the Steam thread and assumed it was a joke of a game. After I posted about it, I was linked to a griefing story and told to look for this thread.

I haven't even gone into it for the first time yet, but I can already tell this is the best game I've bought during the entire sale.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Croccers posted:

What's the best way to play with you guys? Just hop in the mumble channel?

Pretty much. Even if there's no one on the server, hopping on will usually tempt some pubbies into joining after awhile.

quote:

Like I mentioned in the griefing thread, unless there's a surprise sale, this is probably the lowest it'll be for a long time. So now's the time to get it if you're considering it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm only slightly disappointed the server isn't called 7 dumb ways to die.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Drakenel posted:

I'm only slightly disappointed the server isn't called 7 dumb ways to die.

I can fix that you know! :science:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm looking to join up with whatever goons are playing right now. I'm in the Mumble, but I don't have a mic yet and there doesn't seem to be any notification sound when I type into the chat channel. The server listed in the OP isn't coming up and won't let me connect to it is full. Where are you guys, and how do I get in?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Quick question guys, can I set structures on fire? I'm holed up in someone else's base and with no way to defend myself from their hospitality other than the torches they left lying around.