Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to 2014 or as it will become known to all future generation: the year Pixar didn't manage to make a movie. This is the thread where people can discuss animated films. This basically included any animated features or short films but let's keep the discussion of animated TV shows and web series to other threads. This is CineD, so if there's no chance that it might make it onto a movie screen, there's probably better placed to discuss it. 2013 was a pretty slow year for animation overall (at least in my opinion). We got some good films (Monsters University, Frozen) and a bunch of mediocre to bad (Turbo, Planes, Epic, Despicable Me 2). As I mentioned, this year we aren't even getting a Pixar film, so what do we have to look forward to? Well we have:

The Nut Job (January 17th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXFOEItiry8
This one does not look very good. I'd love to be proven wrong but pun titles are never a good sign and ads with a computer animated version of a year old Meme are an even worse sign (I don't think it's in this trailer but the TV ads have a computer animated Psy). On top of all that, Januaury is where studios put movies they think are terrible. So yeah, probably gonna be pretty bad.

The Lego Movie (February 7th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_JOBCLF-I
I don't think this looks that great but alot of people seem to be really looking forward to this one. To be fair it's made by the creator of Clone High, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street, so it has a good pedigree and maybe it'll prove me wrong. The animation style looks great at least.

Edit: I was wrong. This movie ruled.

The Wind Rises (February 21st 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q
The final film by Hayao Miyazaki about Jiro Horikoshi, designer of the Mitsubishi A5M. If you're in this thread you probably want to see this.

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (March 7th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf-SwZfRd4U
I fear I'm coming off as overly negative now but I also don't have high hopes for this one. I love the original cartoon but this seems to not really have any interest in that beyond the basic concept. I guess what I'm saying is unless half the dialogue are puns so bad that I wish for the death of everyone involved, I'm not interested.

Rio 2 (April 11th)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZM1Zc0mBU
I really know nothing about this one way or the other. I didn't even see the original.

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return (May 9th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DzZMOoegQ
...moving on.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (June 13th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3D-vvVli5g
Finally a movie I can get behind. Easily one of the best looking movies coming out this year and if it's half as good as the original (which Dreamworks sequels usually unfortunately are), it'll still be worth seeing. I only posted the teaser trailer because the full trailer apparently has some pretty major spoilers that the creators themselves didn't want in the trailer.

Planes 2: Fire and Rescue (July 18th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8dneO2-Xcs
Well we might not be getting a Pixar movie but we get this! I don't actually know why this exists...oh right. Money.

The Boxtrolls (September 26th 2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOKou-3TuVQ
My most anticipated animated film of next year. It's by Studio Laika who made Coraline and ParaNorman and that's all I really need to know.

The Tale Of Princess Kaguya (2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDrkokymLQ
Because Pick told me to put it here. Another Ghibli film, this one by Isao Takahata, director of Grave of Fireflies.

Ratchet & Clank (2015)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlqqGXH83qA
A movie based on the popular game series. This could go either way. Game movies tend to be pretty bad but this series does seem like a natural fit.

There's also more stuff coming like Big Hero 6 (a Disney/Marvel animated film), Minions (a Despicable Me film without all that stuff that wasn't marketable) and of course the two Pixar movies: The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out but that stuff doesn't even have proper trailers yet and info is slim. Keep following this thread and it'll come up eventually.

So get posting about cartoons and feel free to tell me all the errors (spelling and otherwise) I just made in this OP. I'll add to it as we go on.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

you seem to be missing "Meme" in "A year old computer animated (blank) are an even worse sign".

EDIT: On topic:

So I managed to get my mother to watch HTTYD, by mentioning it has dragons (she's not exactly a snob, but she's not big on non-traditional animation).

She loves it, but also caught something I didn't notice. Whenever Hiccup's trying to be like his dad, he uses his right hand, but when he's doing things his way, he's using his left hand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you can't even make the meme look good, then why.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I've seen The Wind Rises, and I can tell you it's pretty spectacular.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the American release, because the voice cast they've assembled (including Werner Herzog) is impressive.

Oh boy. Oh loving boy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Dub posted:

Oh boy. Oh loving boy.

There's no way Clumsy isn't going to let you avoid seeing this, is there?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Part of me hopes Psy actually appears in the movie, and another part of me wants them to have literally modeled a Psy for no other reason than to dance in the commercial.

Edit: I honestly expected there to be a lovely animated movie that used Gangnam Style a lot earlier though.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

axleblaze posted:

There's no way Clumsy isn't going to let you avoid seeing this, is there?

Not in a million years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Welp, I'm here :toot:.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and I imagine at this rate we'll see Harlem Shake in a 2015 movie. It's baffling with how long lead times are for animation that any studio would try to cash in on a meme, since by the time the commericals hit, it'll be passe, and when the movie hits, it'd be eye-rollingly embarrassing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Macaluso posted:

The Nut Job looks horrible from a writing standpoint. Like the jokes in the trailer are all horrible and stupid crap we've seen a million times. But what really gets me (and is frustrating to me) is that, the designs of all the animals aren't too bad. They have big expressive eyes and in the hands of capable animators, they could all look and move pretty nice! But they don't. They move just slightly above straight to DVD CG stuff. Very stiff jerky movements, especially when the characters are talking. Like if better/more animators were working on the movie, it'd probably end up like Rio or like Ice Age 2-4: completely forgettable but nice to look at.

I don't know the designs pretty much look like generic Over the Hedge 2 or Dreamworks Talking Animal Movie 15 designs. The main character is purple (looks more like black in the trailers), I guess that's new.

P.S.

help :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What amazes me about The Nut Job is the lip sync is so bad I actually thought my theater's audio was off and I was tempted to go complain before it got to the feature (it was the first trailer). Glad I waited because it was literally because they don't line up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pick posted:

Welp, I'm here :toot:.

Now finish your Brave Little Toaster review! :argh:
I think/hope that was you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, also you should have the Princess Kaguya trailer in there somewhere. That's the animated film I'm most excited about in 2014, after Boxtrolls.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Go glad I'm not the only one who thought the squirrels look suspiciously like Hammy the Squirrel, and the rat looks suspiciously like a refugee from Ratatouille (particularly that nose).

And also, considering I'm hearing nothing about Walking with Dinosaurs, is it safe to assume it bombed?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just noticed the title references the "Dreamworks face". And here we were complaining about memes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Robindaybird posted:

And also, considering I'm hearing nothing about Walking with Dinosaurs, is it safe to assume it bombed?

$20M total domestic / $54M global on an $80M budget (before advertising) is definitely no bueno.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, it's only made 20 million so far and had an 80million budget. It's funny that with all the giant bombs last year, it's not even coming up as noteworthy though. Hell, a movie came out around the same time that's bombing way worse.

Pick posted:

I just noticed the title references the "Dreamworks face". And here we were complaining about memes.

I don't' believe it's a thing but I just thought it was a funny title :(

It's not like it won't come up again and again and again anyways.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'll change it if something funny happens, but it got a chuckle out of me.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The OP starting off a cynical vibe? Sounds like a good way to start 2014! :v: But joking aside, yeah half of those movies just look cringeworthy.

I'll fight you about Kung Fu Panda thought, the sequel was just as good as the first one. :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I liked Kung Fu Panda 2 MORE than the first to be honest! Lord Shen was awesome, and the cannonball and raindrop scenes were so good

Plus I love the character designs and Tigress kicks rear end

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think KFP2 was awful but other than the animation itself I found it rather unremarkable and no where near as good as the first one on pretty much any level.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man what went wrong with that Oz movie?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Pick posted:

The thread title is not animated. :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Uncle Wemus posted:

They showed the trailer for it before Frozen and I was literally slack-jawed. Someone had the balls to show that before Frozen.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Here's to a year of mostly nothing animation wise besides Dragons and Boxtrolls.
Hopefully we'll get some more info on whatever is on the backburner for the coming years.

But hey...at least there's a new Muppet movie.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Pixeltendo posted:

Here's to a year of mostly nothing animation wise besides Dragons and Boxtrolls.
Hopefully we'll get some more info on whatever is on the backburner for the coming years.

But hey...at least there's a new Muppet movie.

I was going to say the thread title should have been "ANIMATION 2014: Doomed Except for Dragons and Trolls"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ghibli has two quality offerings on the way :colbert:.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The main squirrel in The Nut Job looks like Squirrel Balto.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

So I managed to get my mother to watch HTTYD, by mentioning it has dragons (she's not exactly a snob, but she's not big on non-traditional animation).

She loves it, but also caught something I didn't notice. Whenever Hiccup's trying to be like his dad, he uses his right hand, but when he's doing things his way, he's using his left hand.

There's lots of lovely little details like that in the film; another I recently noticed was the scars left on Toothless the dragon by the weapon Hiccup used to bring him down. There's obviously the missing tail-fin that kick-starts the whole plot, but in the flight scenes in HD you can see long, thin scar marks on his neck and legs hat match the pattern of the ropes used to down him and tie him up. They're black-on-black, so they're barely visible, but an animator has obviously thought hard about what damage that styleof weapon would have done. The amount of detail and work that went into Toothless' design is just astounding.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Robindaybird posted:

Irisi posted:

There's lots of lovely little details like that in the film; another I recently noticed was the scars left on Toothless the dragon by the weapon Hiccup used to bring him down. There's obviously the missing tail-fin that kick-starts the whole plot, but in the flight scenes in HD you can see long, thin scar marks on his neck and legs hat match the pattern of the ropes used to down him and tie him up. They're black-on-black, so they're barely visible, but an animator has obviously thought hard about what damage that styleof weapon would have done. The amount of detail and work that went into Toothless' design is just astounding.

I really regret not seeing HTTYD on the big screen :( I only saw it for the first time about a year ago and it's become one of my favorite animated films. Never noticed the hand thing though, as a lefty I think that is the coolest detail ever.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I didn't think KFP2 was awful but other than the animation itself I found it rather unremarkable and no where near as good as the first one on pretty much any level.

Yeah, I enjoyed it and the art was great (love those 2D animation sequences!) but it just didn't have whatever made the first movie so good, for me.

HTTYD 2 on the other hand still looks crazy awesome and I hope I don't overbuild my expectations. But for real. I'm also pretty stoked because the 3D showings were already out of the theaters by the time I managed to see the first. People seemed to really enjoy the 3D on that so I'm hoping it's as good this time around.

Speaking of dragon designs and junk everyone should totally go grab a copy of the HTTYD art book if you can. Seriously, so gorgeous.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm still baffled that they had yet another new story commissioned (by a descendent of Baum, big whoop) when there are already literally dozens of previously existing Oz novels.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really hoping the Ratchet & Clank movie does well, at least in terms of being a good movie if not in the box office. The characters and writing were so good in the recent games, but it's really a toss-up as to whether that'll translate well to film.

And if they don't have Dr. Nefarious in the film, they'll be doing a serious disservice to the audience. :colbert:

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

redcheval posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it and the art was great (love those 2D animation sequences!) but it just didn't have whatever made the first movie so good, for me.

HTTYD 2 on the other hand still looks crazy awesome and I hope I don't overbuild my expectations. But for real. I'm also pretty stoked because the 3D showings were already out of the theaters by the time I managed to see the first. People seemed to really enjoy the 3D on that so I'm hoping it's as good this time around.

Speaking of dragon designs and junk everyone should totally go grab a copy of the HTTYD art book if you can. Seriously, so gorgeous.

The first HTTYD was absolutely stunning in 3D, especially the flight scenes. If you see the second one in theaters, I think it's worth the extra price for a 3D ticket.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the HTTYD wagon. Everything else in the OP looks anywhere from "meh" to awful.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

A Meatslab posted:

And if they don't have Dr. Nefarious in the film, they'll be doing a serious disservice to the audience. :colbert:

They've confirmed that he'll be in it and Armin Shimerman will be reprising the role, but it could be a cameo for all we know.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A Meatslab posted:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm really hoping the Ratchet & Clank movie does well, at least in terms of being a good movie if not in the box office. The characters and writing were so good in the recent games, but it's really a toss-up as to whether that'll translate well to film.

Its an adaptation of the first game with Ratchet, Clank, and Qwark fighting Ultra Supreme Executive Chairman Drek.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Its an adaptation of the first game with Ratchet, Clank, and Qwark fighting Ultra Supreme Executive Chairman Drek.

Huh. I guess it'd be interesting to see their take on the beginning with a non-rear end in a top hat Ratchet.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

All I want is some good 2d animation made in the States. That's all I wanted for Christmas.

Guess what I didn't get. :smithicide:

Though I'm really interested in the Miyazaki film. He says it'll be his last, but he said that about Arrietty, too, didn't he? I think he'll keep going until he drops, and that's not a bad thing.

E: Oh, it has 2 Rs. Derp.

DicktheCat fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DicktheCat posted:

Though I'm really interested in the Miyazaki film. He says it'll be his last, but he said that about Arietty, too, didn't he? I think he'll keep going until he drops, and that's not a bad thing.

Arrietty was his screenplay but Yonebayashi directed.

• Locked thread