Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
And you can get much better stuff now at a much better price than you could in 2006, when I did two years of travel hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanosuke21
Jul 24, 2003
Hey all,

Looking into buying a laptop mostly for photoshop purposes and day to day work and don't plan on doing any gaming. Do I need something with a dedicated videocard or will an onboard card do the trick?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sanosuke21 posted:

Hey all,

Looking into buying a laptop mostly for photoshop purposes and day to day work and don't plan on doing any gaming. Do I need something with a dedicated videocard or will an onboard card do the trick?

You don't need dedicated graphics but you do need a good quality display - this is going to seriously narrow down your choices

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dissss posted:

You don't need dedicated graphics but you do need a good quality display - this is going to seriously narrow down your choices

Photoshop can do operations that are GPU accelerated too. I have no idea how that scales or what is reasonable for it, though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Photoshop can do operations that are GPU accelerated too. I have no idea how that scales or what is reasonable for it, though.

Photoshop is perfectly usable with just onboard. It is not, however, usable with a cruddy display.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm glad that most companies finally got the message about using nice displays in their latops, but I wish they had gone with 16:10 instead of 16:9. I would just buy a macbook but I actually like touchscreens :(

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

Chop Suey posted:

I read through this thread a few months ago and went back and forth... back and forth... never pulling the trigger. I really need to make a decision now. Laptop is for the wife.

Considerations:
- General use (Movies, Internet, etc.)
- Light gaming (League of Legends, Rocksmith... MAYBE some future MMORPG like EQ2)
- Screen 13" - 14"
- I'd like to have her laptop plug into a 19" 1080p monitor or my 50" plasma TV for when she wants to practice guitar (Rocksmith game)... I know this isn't going to be perfect.
- Form and weight is pretty important to her (ie. she thinks Dell is ugly)
- Trying to keep the cost under $800.

Here's where I'm at right now..

Asus Zenbook
http://www.amazon.com/UX31A-DH51-13...#productDetails

Asus Ultrabook
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrabook-S400CA-DB51T-14-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00COQXXPC/ref=psdc1_t3_B00BC4QMVE_B00COQXXPC#productDetails

Asus Vivobook
http://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-S400CA-DH51T-14-Inch-Touch-Ultrabook/dp/B009F1JL5A/ref=psdc1_t2_B00COQXXPC_B009F1JL5A

Really leaning towards that Zenbook, as it looks nice, is lightweight and also has better resolution... but the graphics card has me concerned. Thoughts???

Edit: Rocksmith recommended settings says, "Graphics:512MB Nvidia GT 240 or 512 MB ATI Radeon HD 5670".

Anyone have thoughts on this? Is this ok or am I paying to much / not getting what I need?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
That's a bit much to pay for a Zenbook that's a generation old, though the laptop itself is one of the best last generation ultrabooks. I don't really have a better suggestion for you, maybe one of the new 14" Thinkpads would be decent. There also might be an Acer (V7? Not sure) that has gotten decent reviews and would be under $800. You're basically paying a premium for the display with the Zenbook, also, so if she'll use it with the monitor often you can go for something with a Haswell and a poorer display.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vty posted:

When my entire job/freelancing/etc is wrapped around a device I carry every day you can be damned sure I'm going to splurge on it. I've never had a laptop that wasn't in the $1400-2k range. Typically MBPs, Vaio Zs and most recently the 2013 Samsung S9 (pre-ATIV).

Makes total sense. My employer provides thinkpads and in my 1 year of service I haven't heard of one breaking.

But thinkpads get recommended here a lot to people who just use want a laptop for the couch and I think that's maybe a bit excessive. As for me I'd like a nicer display and more pep rather than being space rated and vibration proof machine that will last far longer than is useful or necessary. I still have an old thinkpad from the mid 90's in a box somewhere that is in perfect physical and mechanical shape but obviously too slow to do anything, and has been for over a decade. Is there no middle ground where a machine can survive 6 years of use without falling apart but isnt needlessly built to outlast a space station? l

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

(Location dependent) if you wait for a decent sale you can get a Thinkpad for a pretty competitive price and they've even (only recently) started providing some decent display options.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

RVProfootballer posted:

That's a bit much to pay for a Zenbook that's a generation old, though the laptop itself is one of the best last generation ultrabooks. I don't really have a better suggestion for you, maybe one of the new 14" Thinkpads would be decent. There also might be an Acer (V7? Not sure) that has gotten decent reviews and would be under $800. You're basically paying a premium for the display with the Zenbook, also, so if she'll use it with the monitor often you can go for something with a Haswell and a poorer display.

Thanks for the input. I'm guessing she would use the monitor less than the actual laptop. I avoid Acer because I bought one back in 2009 and it started falling apart in 6 months and broke down within a year. Had it repaired at a service center for free and then it broke again within a month or two (issue with the motherboard/power supply). Haswell would be nice, but 99% of the time she will be using it near an outlet so the power savings aren't that big of a deal.

Do you know much about that graphics card on the zenbook (Intel GMA HD)? It's my main concern.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The intel graphics are fine, see the third or fourth post on the first page it walks you through framerates for various games. As long as your mom doesn't need to play battlefield 4 she should be fine for doing regular mom things.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

Hadlock posted:

The intel graphics are fine, see the third or fourth post on the first page it walks you through framerates for various games. As long as your mom doesn't need to play battlefield 4 she should be fine for doing regular mom things.

Not sure if you're talking to me or not. If you are... it's for my wife and she likes to play League of Legends and Rocksmith (guitar learning game). Also isn't the 'Intel GMA HD' a lesser card than the 'Intel 4000'? At least that's what I've been reading.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GMA is the predecessor to Intel HD. They don't actually have GMA, that's just a lazy product listing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All i3/i5/i7 have the HD4000 in Ivy Bridge and HD4600 or better in Haswell

Microsoft uses rocksmith 2014 to show off it's surface pro and the hd4000 so I would say it's supported

www.you tube.com/watch?v=k5RAWdb b6AQ

Not 100% on LoL but Dota 2 runs just fine on the HD4000 and I think a previous roommate used my old 8600 GT to play LoL which is a much slower card

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

Aphrodite posted:

GMA is the predecessor to Intel HD. They don't actually have GMA, that's just a lazy product listing.

Ya, I just spent the last 30 minutes or so since my last post googling this and it sounds like its just people being lazy with their product descriptions on Amazon.

Edit: Thanks for the replies and putting my concerns at ease.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

All i3/i5/i7 have the HD4000 in Ivy Bridge and HD4600 or better in Haswell

No, HD 4400 is common and HD 4200 is also present.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I've finally buckled and replaced my x220 with a 13" MBA. Build quality wise, I got a really good run and I have no gripes with my current Air. Of course, it's hard to screw up aluminum, but my friend with an early run mid-2013 Air has some clicking near the mousepad where something is out of alignment. Of course, a small creak would be anything but assumed on any lesser laptop.

My x220 was doing fine but I really needed battery life. Having class from 9 to 1 and work until 6 really made me want even more battery life.
I was also tired of hopping from Linux distros to BSDs (and even Haiku) and finally settled on the best looking Unix-like. OSX runs on the x220 fine with a few WiFi caveats, but the battery life sucked.

From what I've seen since the x220, Lenovo (and much of the industry) has really tried to mimic Apple design, especially with the whole keyboard redesign, which is ironic considering the PowerBook had one of the best keyboards and that was an admitted pull from the Thinkpad design.

I still prefer the x220 and prior Thinkpad keyboards to the current design, and I feel that my current MacBook Air's keyboard, while initially a step towards form and less function, has certainly been looked after and improved upon since they introduced it in 2006. In fact, the keyboard is only 3 years short of being older than the Thinkpad keyboard's 10 year run

shrughes posted:

Dropping down a step in build quality, you've got certain Thinkpads, Latitudes, and Elitebooks (and some Fujitsus? Let's not forget those). Right now a reasonably specced T440p with an i7-4700MQ, FHD screen, and AC wifi is right on the $1200 nose. But if you want an SSD, you're going over. A CPU upgrade, even maxing out the CPU, is eminently reasonable for anybody that does work which involves them sitting there, waiting for the CPU to finish computing, many times over the course of a year, and if you want that, you're going over. It's only $380 more to get the i7-4900MQ, it's not like that's a lot of money. If you want more than 4 GB of RAM, if you want 16 GB of RAM, you're going over.

I paid $999 for a 13" MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM, an i5, and a 128GB SSD- along with the 802.11ac wifi. You really shouldn't present expensive laptops ITT if they are really anemic at the base price.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

sports posted:

I paid $999 for a 13" MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM, an i5, and a 128GB SSD- along with the 802.11ac wifi. You really shouldn't present expensive laptops ITT if they are really anemic at the base price.

Anemic like that MacBook Air? Or what? I am confused here.

Stormcrown
Jun 15, 2013

Baijan'm'hael
Just picked up a CyberpowerPC Fangbook HX7-700.

4800MQ, 780M, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD (5400 RPM / 8MB Cache).

Been using it a bit and its pretty nice.

Thinking of grabbing a 512GB or 1TB Samsung Evo to replace the 128GB. Perhaps get a 2TB laptop internal when more are released.

Does anyone know if I could use a 4TB External Drive with steam games? (USB 3.0)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just ordered my 410p with a two year + accidental damage warranty, as I forsee it travelling around a lot with me, and my current laptop has a busted DVD drive, broken lights and cracked case. My darling Asus g73, it's been a long run.

Will be getting it once I get back to the states. This, plus my rent, basically has totaled this paycheck, but it's so worth it.

At full cost, it was around $1,400. With the e-coupon, I paid $963, counting taxes.

This should be good for a gaming laptop, though, which I need. Thank you, Laptop thread!

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

shrughes posted:

I'm guessing he means 4gb ram, 128gb ssd

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shrughes posted:

I think he means anemic like a $1000 laptop not coming with 8 gb or an SSD.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

tesilential posted:

I think he means anemic like a $1000 laptop not coming with 8 gb or an SSD.
The non-educationally-discounted $1100 13" MBA only has 4GB RAM, though, and demands $100 to bump to 8GB, so we're back to confusion.

More to the point, while ThinkPads are not the cheapest options out there, once you take into consideration that they are almost constantly on sale, there's usually only a $100-$200 difference between them and whatever crap-box someone might otherwise pick up from BestBuy, which is well within the "pay a little bit more to get something that's actually quality" range for many people. Of course, there's always the person who'll be quite happy with a $400 KMart special, but we're talking general recommendations here. Have small children and/or drunk college friends? The extra durability of a well-built laptop has a lot of applications this side of the ISS or Afghanistan (seriously though, we have R500's and T410's that still work after having been out in the desert for 5+ years).

Stormcrown posted:

Does anyone know if I could use a 4TB External Drive with steam games? (USB 3.0)
Sure, but do you really want to be tied to an external drive like that? While 128GB gets cramped pretty quick, 1TB is a good amount of space for games and whatnot. But yeah, as long as you have the drive plugged in before you start Steam, it should allow you to sit games on it.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 2, 2014

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So my HP-DV7 of 5 years finally crapped out for good, looks like the motherboard is done for and this was after re-flowing it twice to get it to last another few months. So now I am in the market for a new laptop and could use a few recommendations.

I am looking at the $600-$800 price range, I pretty much use my laptop for most my entertainment and school needs from doing homework to downloading and watching movies and of course internet use. I really don't use it for gaming that much anymore and the only game I find my self playing is Minecraft, I am fine with a 15 inch display, would love a huge hard drive, but that is easily upgradeable and of course a decent amount of RAM is always nice. I do travel a bit for the military so durability and portability would be an amazing option too but I can work around the portability part a bit.

So I would like to see if you all had a good recommendation or two on laptops that you like or have used in the past.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrDork posted:

(seriously though, we have R500's and T410's that still work after having been out in the desert for 5+ years).
Where did you get a T410 5+ years ago?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DrDork posted:

The non-educationally-discounted $1100 13" MBA only has 4GB RAM, though, and demands $100 to bump to 8GB, so we're back to confusion.
$929 on the refurb store. Never pay retail!

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
That's kind of disingenuous, if you're going to suggest used hardware then PC gear generally holds its value worse than macbooks and will therefore be an even better deal...

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

I'm annoyed that the Yoga Pro 2 8GB models are only available through bestbuy, you cannot get them through lenovo.com. Also they are not upgradeable. Also Best Buy is entirely sold out of them with no ETA.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hawzy posted:

I'm annoyed that the Yoga Pro 2 8GB models are only available through bestbuy, you cannot get them through lenovo.com. Also they are not upgradeable. Also Best Buy is entirely sold out of them with no ETA.

A month ago you could order them through Lenovo. I imagine when stock gets back in, you will be able to again.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

$929 on the refurb store. Never pay retail!

Yep. And MacBooks are really quite nice compared to the other options on the market. I mean, has the Yoga 2's screen been fixed?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sports posted:

Yep. And MacBooks are really quite nice compared to the other options on the market. I mean, has the Yoga 2's screen been fixed?
It has, and it's been mentioned multiple times by people in this thread.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
If you buy the 4GB 128GB MBA, you are buying a DeLorean.

Edit:

yeah the DeLorean came with A/C and a cassette player.

0 to 60 in 11 seconds get shot by Libyans

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 2, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It works fine if you just need it for average student stuff. You get crazy-long 12 hour battery life and it will handle paper writing and light photoshop. It has an SD slot so you can throw in a 64gig card too.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Hawzy posted:

I was also confused when they disappeared from lenovo.com. Someone a few pages back mentioned that they should be back in stock around mid-January. I feel your pain because I'm waiting for the same thing using an old netbook that feels like it will poo poo the bed any day now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Where did you get a T410 5+ years ago?
Ok, so the T410's haven't been around quite that long. The R500's have, though, and they are literally used 24/7/365. We have dozens of them, and the only thing that's really busted on any of them is some of the fans now make annoying noises. But we're no poo poo talking 40,000+ operating hours on some of these poor things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

4GB and 128GB admittedly aren't a ton of memory or storage but people are really, really overestimating how much computer they need. It's a perfect device for 90% of the computing population. Paper writing and light Photoshop? You could just buy a 2010 Air for $400 and do that without any issues. poo poo, most people would get by with a loving iPad.

If you're some 3D animator or if you're editing gigs of RAW images or HD video you're probably going to want another machine (cough, cough 15" rMBP). But even the 8GB/256GB/i7 Air isn't that expensive and it's a loving powerhouse compared to what we had back in 2010/2011.

Mu Zeta posted:

It works fine if you just need it for average student stuff. You get crazy-long 12 hour battery life and it will handle paper writing and light photoshop. It has an SD slot so you can throw in a 64gig card too.

128GB!

sports
Sep 1, 2012

P.N.T.M. posted:

If you buy the 4GB 128GB MBA, you are buying a DeLorean.

Edit:

yeah the DeLorean came with A/C and a cassette player.

0 to 60 in 11 seconds get shot by Libyans

What the hell? Is this some sort of sick joke?

Mu Zeta posted:

It does MATLAB and Mathematica really well. I haven't had it seize up on running C MHD stuff like Enzo, either. It goes faster than Win8 on the 16GB x220, and of course is nicer to use than Win8 out of general ease and intuitive design.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

sports posted:

Seriously? You've never seen Back To The Future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

sports posted:

In all seriousness, I totally respect what Apple does in terms of hardware and software. Their sales tactics are a little flim-flam, but I think many of their customers benefit from buying the high-priced items.

But I feel obligated to point out that the lowest priced MBA 11" is better off as a frisbee in the park because

Only registered members can see post attachments!