Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
1. A e: Make that ATP's A, look/sense the objects before leaving.
2. M, dash of L (Possibly K?)

I figure it's possible there's something under the temple that'll damage the city. My desire to see the hypothetical basement vault was greater than my concern that it might contain a firebomb of some kind. I knew mentioning danger to the city would get Aaron to help.

What I'm trying to say is that I think there's a difference between "Lying" and "Being manipulative to self-serving ends while possibly also saving the city."

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

No reason to be greedy. We will still get what we deserve and Bareen might have rigged her treasury with some nasty traps.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A though I want the bow.

M I don't think we even know what a bomb is. I do think there might be some sort of dark rite going on down there.

Maybe we could try this new "sense" on the trap door before we open it.

Edit: a little confused, but I voted to go to the battle and pray to Ganal for Bareen's journey to Mt. Har.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 1, 2014

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
A. and L. I suppose, though the statement I posted was meant to be funny instead of a call to action. I actually wanted to stay and watch the fight.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A. We'll get first dibs on the bow anyway. We want to let the magic people go over it first.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1 A
2 K

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

You can feel... something. It is a sense difficult to describe, possibly a sense you are not used to using, or one which gets little stimulation. You can feel the blade and the suits of armor, if you closed your eyes, which you do for a moment, you think you might still be able to point them out if you were spun around. You know where they are. They have a presence.

Aaron closes his own eyes for a moment then opens them. "The King will want a careful look at this all later, but none of it is what you described. Come, show me the chamber with the smoke."

1. You...

Voting I and A: Agree to go with Aaron, but first spend a moment trying to see if we can see/sense anything else in the room or from the Blessed relics. But don't force it or anything, just see if we get any new details from "feeling" the objects again. After that we can show him the room with the seam in the floor.

If Aaron asks why we're stalling, we can tell him we were checking if there was anything we might have missed. Who knows? Maybe there was something a first glance missed. We were distracted by the relics, after all. Also, we might learn if Blessed objects have a certain distinguishable signature or spiritual texture or something by taking a second to compare them.

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
A.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Vavrek posted:

1. A
2. M

I figure it's possible there's something under the temple that'll damage the city. My desire to see the hypothetical basement vault was greater than my concern that it might contain a firebomb of some kind. I knew mentioning danger to the city would get Aaron to help.

What I'm trying to say is that I think there's a difference between "Lying" and "Being manipulative to self-serving ends while possibly also saving the city."

Basically this for me. I still think it's pretty unlikely, and would like to be certain. I'm also very curious what's down there and knew what would get Aaron to help me, but our statement would have passed a truth-test.

e - new quote fits my position better

Tax Inductions fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 2, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

A Terrible Person posted:

Voting I and A: Agree to go with Aaron, but first spend a moment trying to see if we can see/sense anything else in the room or from the Blessed relics. But don't force it or anything, just see if we get any new details from "feeling" the objects again. After that we can show him the room with the seam in the floor.

If Aaron asks why we're stalling, we can tell him we were checking if there was anything we might have missed. Who knows? Maybe there was something a first glance missed. We were distracted by the relics, after all. Also, we might learn if Blessed objects have a certain distinguishable signature or spiritual texture or something by taking a second to compare them.

I like this version of A. Changing my vote slightly to this. Maintaining my "manipulation is not quite lying" vote for 2.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Changing to this~~~~

also get on IRC sometime, ugh

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
G J

We're going to investigate and possibly disarm a trapped demigod explosive device. The armour might be our only chance of us, or our souls, making it out alive or ethereally intact. Aaron doesn't care for earthly wealth and doesn't want the responsibility of kingship (hello George VI) so offer him the silver armour and we slip on the white stone tree bark one, then rush to the smoke chamber.

Tudiya is going to raze the temple and in doing so release the Ifrit Esper Melachim or some poo poo, thus making him responsible for the city's destruction. A nice way for Bareen to say "I told you so!"

Edit: grammar

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1. A
2. J

This was also the same Bareen that said "if you choose not to join me me and my disciples will leave - and then promptly kidnapped Danal and Enkidel when we told her our choice was no. I never read the statements as "Tudiya would set fires in the city to kill me" but "Tudiya would try to kill me and cause the city to go to flames in the attempt". While she never specifically said how, she did imply Tudiya would start them. I just figured, after seeing the spooky room with smoke coming out of it and the fact that the city hasn't gone to flames yet and indication that the fire could be something caused by Bareen in retaliation against Tudiya.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

As I said when I voted for this; some sort of doomsday bomb seems entirely in keeping with both her public and private persona as a religious fanatic so committed to her beliefs that she's willing to risk evangelizing for them when just holding them is enough to get one killed. It's also in keeping with as I perceive as her generally self-centered perspective.

I think that her inverting the cause of the fire to be Tudiya instead of herself is one of the smaller lies she's told us.

That said, I'd never have thought of this myself, but the logic is irresistible to my paranoia once the possible connection was pointed out. Besides, what else could be burning down there? It'd take a real nutjob to build a potentially revealing fire in their secret hideaway and keep it burning while the area has more people in it than it would probably have had at any time in the last few years.

Personally, I would have preferred to hang out with Danal and keep him safe and safely distracted until the fight was over. But this needed to be checked.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

To clarify, I guess I didn't think such a doomsday device was likely, but that the possibility is dangerous enough to warrant having a Mighty Man investigate. Still I was just as motivated to check out what sweet loot was in the temple.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

It'd take a real nutjob to build a potentially revealing fire in their secret hideaway and keep it burning while the area has more people in it than it would probably have had at any time in the last few years.

The question is, what is burning? The idea of her rigging some sort of explosive device seems (to me) slim simply because the tech just isn't there. A semi-divine time bomb might be a possibility... but what sort of relic would be activated by a fire?

I'd expect to see an emaciated Bareen or a herd of Minotaur down there even thinking of a massive fire bomb... which would make it just that much more amazing if that's what turned out to be.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You take nothing. You walk out of the storeroom. Aaron closes the door and then slides the heavy stone in front of it again, he does not replace the bars which were on the inside of the door. You show him the shrine. Aaron frowns as he walks in "I think the King would have acted years ago if he saw... this" he says motions to the many statues which ring the room. You show him the seam in the floor. He leans down and places his ear on the floor.

"There is definitely a space under there" he says, then places his palms on the seam and closes his eyes. After a moment, you hear the sound of stone grinding on stone. Aaron opens his eyes and pulls back the stone slab from the floor. You see a staircase below and a hallway made of stone bricks and illuminated by torch light.

Dead things!

What?

Dead things. Smell bones. And bits of old meat.

The You tell Aaron what Snarl has smelled. Aaron says "We will be careful. Keep behind me, keep those ears of yours open and Snarls nose as well." The two of you descend, the statue of Smattas looking on, silently and unmoving.

The hallway slants down slightly and continues, north. You walk down the hallway for about fifteen minutes, when the torches cease to line the walls, you take the last one and carry it with you. You are definitely beyond the city walls. The stone bricks gradually giving way to some sort of natural passageway. The passageway continues to slowly descends.

Aaron periodically asks you if you see or hear anything, or if Snarls smells anything. You hear and see nothing. Snarls informs you that Dead things. Bones. Old meat. Further down. which you in turn tell to Aaron. You can no longer hear the sound of the thunderous blows of the battle beyond the city. The passageway ends. In the torch light you see a wall made of human remains.

Not just bones. Bad, old meat. You tell Aaron what Snarls smells. You think you might hear the sound of a small amount of liquid moving beyond this wall. And... there is something else. You do not see it, you cannot hear it or feel it, but you know... you know there is something beyond this wall. Something bad. Something very, very bad. Your heart begins to beat quicker and the hairs on the back of your arms stand up on their end. Snarls tucks his tail between his legs and takes a few steps back.

Aaron holds one hand out over the bones and closes his eyes. He opens them and then says quietly "Help me pull down these bones, we need to get through." You told Aaron that Bareen claimed she would cloak the city in flames if she was discovered and he seems intent to prevent such a catastrophe, whatever the danger it might mean to himself. Or to you.

You.....
A. Muster your courage and trust in the experience and superhuman capacities of Aaron. Do as you are told. Help Aaron pull the bones down.
B. No! Tell Aaron there is something wrong and you need to leave. Now. You can't explain it but you HAVE to go!
C. Do as Aaron says, but send Snarls up first.
D. Do as Aaron says, but give a quiet prayer to El first. I have been a believer in El and mean it.
E. Do as Aaron says, but give a quiet prayer to El first. I may not have been a believer, but I mean it now.
F. Do as Aaron says, but give a quiet prayer to El first. I may not have been a believer, I do not even know if I do not, but I give the prayer anyway.
G. Something else. Fill in.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: [url]http://chat

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 2, 2014

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A combination of C and D.

Seriously, this has "bad news" written all over it, but we are superheroes, we should be able to get through this, but lets get Snarls out of the way.

Just as a quick thing to everyone though, you don't think the thing behind the wall might have "influenced" aaron do you? Because if that is what people believe has happened I recommend we run and don't stop till we hit mountains.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Ask Aaron if he feels anything wrong. Ask him what he heard/sensed beyond the wall.

I'm prepared to vote for D, but I want to know if he senses anything special or is just aware of empty space beyond the wall.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
E, but go grab that bow!

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Ask Aron, "do you feel that foreboding presence beyond this wall?"

A if he does

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Ask Aaron if he feels anything wrong. Ask him what he heard/sensed beyond the wall.

He says quietly "There is a passage of some sort beyond this wall, its only about a foot thick."

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
D+G: As Aaron if he senses anything coming from behind the walls. If Aaron doesn't notice anything, tell him to ready his weapon. We'll do the digging, as long as he keeps us covered.

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 2, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Asked on IRC:

The sounds of the battle between Tudiya, Rimush and Bareen stopped at some point during your descent. The decrease in volume was gradual. You do not know if they simply stopped, but the odds are you are too far underground to hear them.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

DCBomB posted:

Ask Aron, "do you feel that foreboding presence beyond this wall?"

A if he does

Except, A even if he says no.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

D + G
G = Say to Aaron: "I can't explain it, but I'm getting a tremendously bad vibe from whatever is behind here. Please be extra cautious."

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Voting G: Tell Aaron we have a premonition or feeling of something terrible beyond the wall and Snarls smells old dead meat. Very old dead meat. Remind him that we considered facing off against Eyescream and it is not just our nerves: we sense things the Mighty seem to miss sometimes.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A + G

the_steve posted:

G = Say to Aaron: "I can't explain it, but I'm getting a tremendously bad vibe from whatever is behind here. Please be extra cautious."[/b]

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

quote:

16:10:56 | <HiHoChiRho> You do not see it, you cannot hear it or feel it, but you know... you know there is something beyond this wall. Something bad. Something very, very bad.
16:11:33 | <HiHoChiRho> is this feeling similar to how we felt regarding the items in the room upstairs?
You do not know. The things up there were not... bad, but somehow, you knew where they were, even if you closed your eyes.

You know there is something very, very bad beyond this wall, but you do not know why you know, only that you do. You can sense it somehow. There is something beyond this wall and it is very, very bad.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

G. "I've got a bad feeling about this, Aaron. Snarls does too. Please take into consideration that when I get these senses, they are usually on the spot. Look around us, this place is obviously much older than Bareen's cult. This is MUCH worse than we imagined it to be. I think we need Tudiya and Zebanetha on this one."

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 2, 2014

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

D + G: Let Aaron know that something beyond the wall feels very, very wrong, and if he persists, say a prayer to El and have faith in his abilities.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

A

Say to Aaron: "I've got a bad feeling about this."
Say to Snarls: "Get ready. We may have to run."

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
If there's time, can we try and use... whatever sense that was upstairs to try and examine our sandals? Do they give off any weird vibes?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If there's time, can we try and use... whatever sense that was upstairs to try and examine our sandals? Do they give off any weird vibes?
In the seven years you have had your sandals, you never noticed. You try to sense... whatever it is you sensed upstairs. Nothing is apparent about them.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Too bad we don't have magic armour and weapons. Voting G:

Tell Aaron we sense something terrible beyond the wall and we should run back and grab some magical armour and weapons. So we're prepared for it.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
F + G , G being:

the_steve posted:

G = Say to Aaron: "I can't explain it, but I'm getting a tremendously bad vibe from whatever is behind here. Please be extra cautious."

I've always been undecided but leaning towards El, so I'll be honest. Not sure what to believe, but "If you're there El, I could use your help..."

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

How much older does this place appear to be compared to the temple of the Melachim? Does this appear to have been made in the past 40 years?

Do we know what used to stand under the temple before it was built?

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons

Vavrek posted:

A

Say to Aaron: "I've got a bad feeling about this."
Say to Snarls: "Get ready. We may have to run."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

How much older does this place appear to be compared to the temple of the Melachim? Does this appear to have been made in the past 40 years?

You have no way to know. The passageway you are in now appears to be a natural cave. The first stretch of it was a hallway with brick walls.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Do we know what used to stand under the temple before it was built?
You do not. The passageway went north and you walked for about 15 minutes, you must be beyond the city walls. The temple was near the north wall of the city.