Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Hospital posting on Christmas! Think the best gift we are getting is going home this evening.
Technically, this dude may be the first.

Posting from the new update SA app, so I hope this doesn't break any tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also on the issue of colic, on my sisters advice we bought a bottle of dimethicone drops and fed them to Daniel before every meal last night. First night this week that he slept all the way through (except his scheduled feeding between 3-4AM), no 3 hours of crying :) It probably won't work for everybody but Daniels problems where cleary gas related.

I swear from now on whenever I go to a baby shower I'm going to give the mom to be a bottle of that stuff.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I've usually given lansinoh and breast pads. I didn't realize how nice of a gift that was until the last couple weeks. The stores I frequent have been out of both those things. I'm going to have to break down and visit babies r us! I'll be stocking up so I don't run out after the baby comes.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Anya posted:

Hospital posting on Christmas! Think the best gift we are getting is going home this evening.
Technically, this dude may be the first.

Posting from the new update SA app, so I hope this doesn't break any tables.

:3: Anya, what a gorgeous baby! Congrats!

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013
Sleep question: I know you're supposed to avoid sleeping on your back but is it reasonably safe to do so for short periods? I end up with hip pain after switching sides all night, even with a support pillow. By the end, all I want to do is get on my back for 10-15 minutes but I'm not sure how big a no-no that is.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My midwife said it's fine to sleep on your back, as your body will let you know if you need to change positions.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I remembered today that my friend gave me the Seahorse before my baby was born, and thought it'd be the perfect day to try and get my 2 month-old to fall asleep on her own and nap in her crib instead of in my arms all the time. Is it safe to keep the seahorse in the crib with her, since she's so young? I was thinking that putting it way at the other end of the crib might be okay. She's not able to roll over or anything yet.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Thanks for the well wishes! Right now, does anyone have any good methods for promoting initial let down? I'm rocking two boulders on my chest and a little babby who was latching perfectly until late last night when mom's boobs became too big for his face. I've hot showered this morning, used my manual pump to improve nipple shape for latch, and massaged massaged massaged from outer tissue to nipple. Doc knows what's going on from our check up today, and we have another tomorrow just to make sure things are going well. Colostrum is still being expressed but it's hard for even me to push out with nipple stimulation. I did give a 20mL supplement with formula this evening, just to assist snide we've lost a pound this week and I wanted to make sure something did stick inside for a bit. Will massage and go at the boob again in about an hour.

Other than that - kid is great. Didn't even mind him crying all night. I've turned into a complete softy when it comes to his face. Even dad has too :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Reverse pressure softening is worth a try since you're still within the realm of having a lot of fluids on board: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman/

Hand expression can also be a good idea: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

skeetied posted:

Reverse pressure softening is worth a try since you're still within the realm of having a lot of fluids on board: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman/

Hand expression can also be a good idea: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/HandExpression.html

Thank you so much. I've got tons of edema post c section and I did the positive pressure on my nipples after using the pump to stimulate for an hour here at the hospital (kiddo is in under the lights due dehydration and jaundice from my engorgement preventing me from producing anything worthwhile for him to digest). We were able to feed for a real 30 minutes before he went back under the lights and he finally had a milk drunk face. I was so happy I cried. No expression into the bottle yet but everything is finally loosening up and I'm hoping by tomorrow morning we will be good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well we're back from Helsinki and we found some surprises when we got back home. Whole place was cleaned up and we got this cradle:

It wasn't made yesterday:

Believe it was first used by my grandfathers father, or his father maybe.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yay cradle users! My dad built mine with help of my godfather, and my sister used it as well. Dad got it out of the woodshed storage and refinished it so my kiddo can use it now. Pretty awesome.

Kiddo made it through the bili-lights and my milk issues finally fixed themselves. Lactation consultant was a great help, and we got to experience the dumbest peds nurse you could ever dream up. Overall, it's been a busy week. Hope to not be at the hospital tomorrow for anything. But, we get cool pics like this one in return for all the tears. Love my little guy so much :)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Well we're back from Helsinki and we found some surprises when we got back home. Whole place was cleaned up and we got this cradle:

That cradle is incredible!

titler
Feb 18, 2005

That's awesome! As a recent mother to twins, let me offer my solidarity for when you get David home and get to experience the joys of two infants at once.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
Hello thread, I need some advice from random internet strangers.

I am due in June and it's our third kid. We don't have any family nearby, which means that if we want family's help (which we will), we have to host them for one month (to make the trip worth to them, and because birth has been unpredictable for the first two). We have a big house, so that's OK. Now, we have 3 choices:

1) my mother
Advantages: usually happily cooks and cleans, goes shopping for us.
Disadvantages: often throws tantrums, sometimes threatens to commit suicide, sometimes won't talk to me for days after throwing tantrums. She's controlling and wants things done her way (including our kids' education).

2) my MIL
Advantages: is a neat freak, cleans, mends the kids' clothes and takes the kids out for walks, does activities with them.
Disadvantages: after cleaning, bitches that I did not do it. Cannot cook. Thinks that having had one kid 40 years ago makes her the expert on babies. Made me clean all the house when I was 9mo pregnant with my 1st bitching all the times I laid down, until I was admitted to the hospital because of pre-eclampsia. Won't do a thing just to make me happy because she's there for the children, not for me (she said it). We cannot communicate since she only speaks her native tongue, which I do not master. Does not leave the house in fear of people trying to talk to her.

3) my FIL
Advantages: cleans, doesn't know anything about babies or toddlers, so he follows our instructions and he does pretty well. We communicate in broken German which I find amusing.
Disadvantages: can't cook. Since he's used to canned food, he thinks that food can be ready within 15 minutes he says he's hungry.

So, which one do I pick and what do I do to overcome the disadvantages? They come one at the time (my father died 1mo before my first was born, MIL and FIL are divorced).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'd choose none of the above. Do you have friends in the area who can come help out?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Or even hire a 'helper' off of craigslist or whatever is in your area. Anything is going to be better than a group of people who either can't help you, or refuse to and emotionally blackmail you. Even someone to come in for a half day and cook and clean while you hang out with the baby/kids.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I agree with the above posters. The last thing you need with a new baby is someone that's not going to help and will stress you out even more, which I had to learn the hard way. When I had my son we flew my mom out from Michigan to Ireland for 6 weeks and it was an absolute disaster. She talked a big game before she got here about how should would do all the cooking and cleaning, but once she was here when she wasn't acting like a delusional crazyperson the first week (due to lack of sleep, according to her. Um, ok.), she was sitting on the couch watching TV for 12 hours a day, since she hurt her back when I was in the hospital. Dealing with her was worse than caring for a new baby.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
If I choose none of the above, then it defaults to my mom, who's able to get to my house by her own means and will if she discovers that no one else from *family* is here. We're new in the area, so no friends around really. No other family that the 3 mentioned.

The main problem is that we need someone over for when my husband needs to drive me to the hospital (40min away) and when he's alone with the kids as he has a job and cannot take days off. We both work part-time and he has a strict schedule. We have daycare for the days we both work. I'll have 3 months maternity leave and I plan to keep the daycare for the 3 months.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
In that case, choose your FIL. At least there's no drama and he's willing to listen to you instead of causing more problems than he fixes. Just stock the fridge with some hard-boiled eggs for him.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Holy... holy poo poo you guys. Diclegis. Without it I'm vomiting everything up (at 18 weeks, too, joy) and zofran only sort of sometimes stops the puking while making me still feel miserable.

Diclegis makes me a normal human. My doctor pooh-poohed it forever but finally gave in a few weeks ago and gave me some samples. I was taking just the lowest dose starting at week 16 (after I'd been in the ER for uncontrollable puking). My vomiting totally went away, but I was convinced that was due to time + traveling to my mom's house. Nope. The Diclegis ran out and my vomiting immediately returned 100%. I went back on it, and it all stopped.

Tell your friends. B6 + unisom is some sort of goddamn miracle drug.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

In that case, choose your FIL. At least there's no drama and he's willing to listen to you instead of causing more problems than he fixes. Just stock the fridge with some hard-boiled eggs for him.

Agreed.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

cailleask posted:

Tell your friends. B6 + unisom is some sort of goddamn miracle drug.

Yes! Diclegis was a miracle for me too (and it worked way better than OTC B6 and Unisom, go figure).

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
Well, 12 weeks came and went without me even noticing, really! Technically Lil' Meltdown isn't three months til the 8th, but we're so close as to make no difference. It really went by in an absolute flash. He's so big now! My parents adore him, of course - here he is with my dad. See y'all in the parenting thread!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
See you in a couple months!

My mom came down this week and helped me out a bunch with latching. Kiddo is eating so much better now. Found out there actually is a La Leche league near me, so I'm going to check them out as well. Any good advice on making a sore nipple happy again, besides lanolin?

Everyone loves a yawn!

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
Hello! Mrs. Pizza is 10 weeks along now. Thank you SA gods for having this thread. I'm glad I have like-minded people I can ask stuff to. I'm working my way through all 230 pages.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Anya posted:

Any good advice on making a sore nipple happy again, besides lanolin?

I had super-sore nipples the first three weeks or so, they even cracked and bled a bit. I only used lanolin in the shower, to keep soap of them, otherwise I expressed milk as ointment after each feeding, and let them airdry as much as possible. Yep, that involved sitting around with my boobs out when we didn't have company, but after I started doing that, they finally started getting better and the cracks healed up.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Have had the cracking and bleeding. In addition to the lanolin and air drying, I switched to disposable pads for a while and briefly used a silicone shield until the cracks closed.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Anya posted:

See you in a couple months!

My mom came down this week and helped me out a bunch with latching. Kiddo is eating so much better now. Found out there actually is a La Leche league near me, so I'm going to check them out as well. Any good advice on making a sore nipple happy again, besides lanolin?

Everyone loves a yawn!

My wife swears by this, and it's all organic, if you're into that: http://www.amazon.com/Boob-ease-Natural-Nipple-Balm-Organic/dp/B007TIM8A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388698800&sr=8-1&keywords=boobease

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Friend of mind sent me some bag balm since all the parents she sits for swear by it. Definitely will air dry and didn't think about lanolin in the shower. Thanks for the heads up.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I think I missed your original question, but you can ask your OB to prescribe you some All-Purpose Nipple Ointment. You have to get it at a compounding pharmacy, but it really helps with the pain of cracked nipples and blisters

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Anya posted:

Any good advice on making a sore nipple happy again, besides lanolin?

You can put some breast milk on them and let it air dry. I would try to avoid breast pads since you don't want to dry out the skin while it's healing. Soothies put in the refrigerator can feel great too. If you're beyond that working, all-purpose nipple ointment is amazing, especially if you have any broken skin. You'll need a prescription for it.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
It's more of one half of the nipple is swollen and tender and the other half is fine.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Anya posted:

It's more of one half of the nipple is swollen and tender and the other half is fine.

Is your nipple lopsided or funnily shaped (sort of like a tube of lipstick) after a breastfeeding session?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm a bit nervous about some upcoming plans, and would like some advice from anyone who might have it.

I have four kids, ages 16, 13, 11, and 15 months, and me and my husband want to start preparing to conceive number 5. I'll be 35 in March, so if we're going to have a "tie breaker" (we have 2 girls/ 2 boys) I want it to be this year. My last pregnancy was peppered with issues, including the OB mis-diagnosing me with GD and treating me as high risk just because of my age and the baby being breech at birth. I didn't have a c-section and delivered my 9lb 12oz girl butt-first.

My questions are this: Has anyone here had a baby this late in their 30's? I'm concerned about what kind of tests they might insist on, given that two years ago they treated me like an elderly woman and pretty much insisted on c-section from 3 months in (to the point that I changed OB's a month before my due date). With a breech birth like my last, what are the chances of having a normal one this time? And lastly am I being a complete loving idiot for wanting two babies this close together when I'm my age?

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

Stairs posted:

I'm a bit nervous about some upcoming plans, and would like some advice from anyone who might have it.

I have four kids, ages 16, 13, 11, and 15 months, and me and my husband want to start preparing to conceive number 5. I'll be 35 in March, so if we're going to have a "tie breaker" (we have 2 girls/ 2 boys) I want it to be this year. My last pregnancy was peppered with issues, including the OB mis-diagnosing me with GD and treating me as high risk just because of my age and the baby being breech at birth. I didn't have a c-section and delivered my 9lb 12oz girl butt-first.

My questions are this: Has anyone here had a baby this late in their 30's? I'm concerned about what kind of tests they might insist on, given that two years ago they treated me like an elderly woman and pretty much insisted on c-section from 3 months in (to the point that I changed OB's a month before my due date). With a breech birth like my last, what are the chances of having a normal one this time? And lastly am I being a complete loving idiot for wanting two babies this close together when I'm my age?

Oh Stairs! I'm 32, have 13-year old twins, a 12-year-old, and we're due in February. I don't want this baby to essentially be an only child as her sisters will be grown by the time she is 6. Essentially, I'm in the same boat, just one kid behind you. (All 4 are girls, so you are on your own regarding the tie breaker part)

I'm interested to see what others responses are, but in the end, I'm going to do whatever it is I'm going to do.

From what I know, having a breech child does not affect future pregnancies. There is just as much chance of you having a head down kid as everyone else.

Regarding c-sections due to age, that is some serious crap. I'm glad you finally found yourself an OB that is more concerned about you than their lawsuit potential.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
My mom had me (her biological oldest) at 35 and my little sister, two weeks before her 41st birthday. We turned out alright and we were both regular deliveries. This was back in the 80s, so I know she had amniocentesis on both of us but not sure what else because of her age. She had lost two, so she may have been high risk.

My nipples both do the slanted upwards thing after he feeds. I guess they are lipstick shaped then? The sore one I think was from poor latching technique the first week, half of it is swollen but it's still expressing milk.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Heck my grandmother was 40+ when she had my mom and that was in the 1950s.

Anyway the boys are both home now, so I think I'll end my participation in this thread with this picture and move onto the parenting thread. And thanks to everyone who has wished us well :)

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008
My mother had my little brother at age 35 (I was 17) and everything turned out fine. Your chances of having a child with Down's syndrome are higher so if that is something that concerns you I would recommend getting at least the initial blood work to rule it out. Just remember that you are in charge and can veto any tests they want to do that you aren't comfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Anya posted:

My nipples both do the slanted upwards thing after he feeds. I guess they are lipstick shaped then? The sore one I think was from poor latching technique the first week, half of it is swollen but it's still expressing milk.

It sounds like your latch may still be a bit off, which probably doesn't let the sore one heal. Are both of your baby's lips flared out when nursing? It might be easier to get someone else to check the bottom one. If it isn't, you can gently pull down on the baby's chin to get the lip out and more boob in there, which should help even things out.