Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Nut Bunnies posted:

Also no rMBP for me until they ditch the garbage simulated 1280x800 real estate. 1440x900 (or more!) or bust

:confused:

Out of box, you can set the rMBP to 1440x900 or 1680x1050. I run it at the latter and it looks amazing. My partner runs it at 1440x900 and she can't stop talking about how incredible the screen is.

With SwitchResX you can do all sorts of unreasonable poo poo with it (like 3360x2100).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

fookolt posted:

Out of box, you can set the rMBP to 1440x900 or 1680x1050. I run it at the latter and it looks amazing. My partner runs it at 1440x900 and she can't stop talking about how incredible the screen is.

With SwitchResX you can do all sorts of unreasonable poo poo with it (like 3360x2100).

I've always run at the maximum scaled resolution and it looks great. It gives you a warning that it might slow things down or look worse but I don't know what the gently caress it's referring to, and that's a shame because that seems to turn a lot of people off from trying it. It really works well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ninja Rope posted:

I've always run at the maximum scaled resolution and it looks great. It gives you a warning that it might slow things down or look worse but I don't know what the gently caress it's referring to, and that's a shame because that seems to turn a lot of people off from trying it. It really works well.

It does look 'off'.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

iFixit's irreverent Mac Pro teardown is here, if anyone cares.

They gave it an 8 out of 10 for repairability, they liked the socketed CPU and easy access to everything but noted there's no available internal ports for SATA expansion or anything.

Edit: Some notes:

The flash controller is Samsung, and so is the SSD, so things are nifty in the internal storage department.

Onboard USB 3.0 controller on main board is a Fresco Logic FL1100. Well, that explains why Fresco Logic PCI-e USB cards work OOTB in grey tower Mac Pros with 10.8.5 and higher..

Having the logic board on the bottom of the unit still bothers me because the lampshade iMacs had a similar design and were pretty much the worst iMacs ever (next to the G5 iMacs and their rancid power supplies) for reliability in my anecdotal experience..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 31, 2013

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I really want a Mac Pro trash can. I have literally no use for it. Goddamnit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Having the logic board on the bottom of the unit still bothers me because the lampshade iMacs had a similar design and were pretty much the worst iMacs ever (next to the G5 iMacs and their rancid power supplies) for reliability in my anecdotal experience..

I like to pretend non-Intel Macs never existed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

iFixit's irreverent Mac Pro teardown is here, if anyone cares.

They gave it an 8 out of 10 for repairability, they liked the socketed CPU and easy access to everything but noted there's no available internal ports for SATA expansion or anything.

Well color me sorta shocked. I mean, I guess it's not too surprising in retrospect given the actual facts but I'm just so used to every Apple product getting a <5 at this point.

As for the Mac Mini, it would make sense for them to do a chassis redesign in the upcoming year (I'd guess round, like a big hockey puck, to go with the Pro and the rounded back on the iMac) but I wouldn't bank on it or anything- just as I wouldn't bank on Apple doing anything until they actually announce it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

fookolt posted:

It's the principle, plus the 1440x900 mode doesn't look as "perfect" as the 1280x800 mode does. Apple should have gone to 1440x900 on the 13" Pros a long time ago, making this conversation non-existent.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 31, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

They probably won't make the Mini round because then they'd be rolling off the racks like crazy. I did visit an ISP recently and was shocked at the number of Minis I saw stacked up neatly on their sides with colored cables running around them.

rufius posted:

I really want a Mac Pro trash can. I have literally no use for it. Goddamnit.

I'm still hoping Apple will eventually cave in and get nVidia to offer a solution for this model. They've always been a fan of the 'not relying on a single vendor' model if they could help it, and especially if the alternate vendors give them some kind of a price break. I know a lot of people who salivate at the thought of having workstation class CUDA available to them in such a small package (a lot of PhotoSlop editors.)

When enough people complained about the Intel GMA 950 GPUs on minis and MacBooks, they finally slapped in nVidia 9400Ms which were a nice leap forward. But I'm pretty sure it was also because nVidia also provided the lovely MCP79 SATA controllers on those very same models for a song as well.

We may be actually lucky that nVidia and Intel had their fight, as Apple started including Intel SATA controllers afterwards.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Nut Bunnies posted:

It's the principle, plus the 1440x900 mode doesn't look as "perfect" as the 1280x800 mode does. Apple should have gone to 1440x900 on the 13" Pros a long time ago, making this conversation non-existent.

I think it looks good enough to buy and enjoy as the best laptop out there right now, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Binary Badger posted:

I'm still hoping Apple will eventually cave in and get nVidia to offer a solution for this model. They've always been a fan of the 'not relying on a single vendor' model if they could help it, and especially if the alternate vendors give them some kind of a price break. I know a lot of people who salivate at the thought of having workstation class CUDA available to them in such a small package (a lot of PhotoSlop editors.)

When enough people complained about the Intel GMA 950 GPUs on minis and MacBooks, they finally slapped in nVidia 9400Ms which were a nice leap forward. But I'm pretty sure it was also because nVidia also provided the lovely MCP79 SATA controllers on those very same models for a song as well.

We may be actually lucky that nVidia and Intel had their fight, as Apple started including Intel SATA controllers afterwards.
There is a piece on SemiAccurate about this, but its behind the paywall. Charlie may be crazy, but he has been right on with a lot of NV stuff in the past.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anand posted his Mac Pro review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bob Morales posted:

It does look 'off'.

Can you be more descriptive? What do you think is 'off' about it?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I changed my rMBP to the scaled 1440x900 a couple days after buying it since the default just doesn't give enough real estate space. Looks great to me and blows any other display I've used out of the water.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Having an 8gb stick and a 2gb stick of RAM in my Mini isn't a big deal, is it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

quote:

I'm hardly an art critic but I do feel like there's a lot to appreciate about the design and construction of the new Mac Pro. I needed to move the system closer to my power testing rig so it ended up immediately to the left of me. I have to admit that I've been petting it regularly ever since.

:heysexy:

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 31, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

mayodreams posted:

There is a piece on SemiAccurate about this, but its behind the paywall. Charlie may be crazy, but he has been right on with a lot of NV stuff in the past.

I'm unwilling to pay for access to a dude that was super-wrong about the Apple ARM notebooks and was so smug about it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If Apple could harness the energy from either petting or static shocks, they could revolutionize the market. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Having an 8gb stick and a 2gb stick of RAM in my Mini isn't a big deal, is it?

No, other than it won't run in dual channel mode.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

wdarkk posted:

I'm unwilling to pay for access to a dude that was super-wrong about the Apple ARM notebooks and was so smug about it.

Me too. Industry rumors are hard to come by, and I really like being on the cutting edge, but when he did the Cartman-esque "SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME" I lost interest. If anyone has a better place for that type of coverage, I'd love to see it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I have a 2006 white MacBook with a broken inverter cable/board that no one in my family uses. Can I get any money for it or is it basically a paper weight at this point?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

Can you be more descriptive? What do you think is 'off' about it?

You can just tell it's not 2:1

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

keevo posted:

I have a 2006 white MacBook with a broken inverter cable/board that no one in my family uses. Can I get any money for it or is it basically a paper weight at this point?

They're definitely worth putting up as a spares unit, a quick check on ebay showed people have been selling them at £50-100 recently.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As for the Mac Mini, it would make sense for them to do a chassis redesign in the upcoming year (I'd guess round, like a big hockey puck, to go with the Pro and the rounded back on the iMac) but I wouldn't bank on it or anything- just as I wouldn't bank on Apple doing anything until they actually announce it.
Crazy speculation: mini cube or tower with the same footprint as the newer Airports! First flat AP matched the original Mac mini, current Mac mini matched the Time Capsule. It'd suck for rack density height wise but you could fit more on a single rack shelf at least.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Before I subject myself to holiday Fruit Stand crowds, anyone know what the current policy is on hard drive replacements under AppleCare? Is a SMART failure required now, or do they still have discretion?

My MBP has racked up a couple hundred reallocated sectors (which are holding steady), but more distressingly it's recently decided ~30 MB/s is a fantastic sustained read speed. SMART is still passing.

Edit: ...And I just rebooted to find SMART has disabled itself. This is novel.

Oh. And turning SMART back on, the hardware ECC recovery value has doubled. So, uh, yeah. Gonna go make sure I have a complete backup and then milk this thing until it goes tits-up.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

Before I subject myself to holiday Fruit Stand crowds, anyone know what the current policy is on hard drive replacements under AppleCare? Is a SMART failure required now, or do they still have discretion?

My MBP has racked up a couple hundred reallocated sectors (which are holding steady), but more distressingly it's recently decided ~30 MB/s is a fantastic sustained read speed. SMART is still passing.

Edit: ...And I just rebooted to find SMART has disabled itself. This is novel.

Oh. And turning SMART back on, the hardware ECC recovery value has doubled. So, uh, yeah. Gonna go make sure I have a complete backup and then milk this thing until it goes tits-up.

Storage Diagnostic is decently smart about drives that are marginal. If Apple won't do it then an AASP might be able to (I may have been known to remove a hard drive before running the diagnostic in order to get a failure...).

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

carry on then posted:

Hold option and click the volume icon in the menu bar. One of the playback outputs should be your TV. The volume slider will be greyed out when outputting over HDMI since the system expects the TV to control the volume.

Argh, it isn't working again. I hold option, click on volume, select sony tv for the output and it plays on the macbook. I'm not sure what it's deal is, it worked fine last night.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple has a module in their netbooting tools called Storage Diagnostics. If your laptop fails that test its considered good enough grounds to replace the drive if its under warranty.

What hope you can get from this is the fact that its a lot more intelligent than Disk Utility, which usually won't tell you a drive is bad unless flames are shooting out of the USB ports and the Four Horsemen are standing there with their arms crossed while impatiently clearing their throats.

e;f;b

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GregNorc posted:

Argh, it isn't working again. I hold option, click on volume, select sony tv for the output and it plays on the macbook. I'm not sure what it's deal is, it worked fine last night.

Try zapping the PRAM, resetting the SMC?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

I'm still hoping Apple will eventually cave in and get nVidia to offer a solution for this model. They've always been a fan of the 'not relying on a single vendor' model if they could help it, and especially if the alternate vendors give them some kind of a price break.

Unless this niche of "gotta have CUDA" Mac Pro users is so super influential that it can get freaking Apple to do a mid-course correction (ha!), I'm sure the GPU vendor selection for this generation of Mac Pro is frozen in stone. It might happen in the 2014 (2015?) models if Apple decides it's time to throw NVidia a bone, in which case AMD will be out. Until the next time they flip.

quote:

I know a lot of people who salivate at the thought of having workstation class CUDA available to them in such a small package (a lot of PhotoSlop editors.)

Does it actually matter for PS or are they just jonesing because marketing has made them drool for CUDA? I don't keep up with that but it seems unlikely that PS of all programs would be completely unable to work with OpenCL (or even get substantially better acceleration out of CUDA than CL).

quote:

Well I guess "for a song" is one way of putting it. The 9400M was part of the MCP79, which was a multifunction chip integrating a GPU, memory interface, SATA, ethernet, USB, PCIe, etc. Connect a Intel FSB processor and some DRAM to a MCP79 and blam, you've got most of a functional computer.

Intel and NVidia do not sell their SATA controllers outside of kitchen-sink style chipsets like the MCP79, so it wasn't really an option for Apple to mix-and-match Intel SATA with 9400M graphics. If they had decided the MCP79 SATA wasn't up to snuff during the engineering process, they would've needed to use other suppliers that sell standalone PCIe SATA controllers (e.g. Silicon Image).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Just a quick question, the SODIMMs Apple uses in macminis are the standard 1.5V modules and not the low power 1.35V modules, right?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Try zapping the PRAM, resetting the SMC?

Thanks, zapping PRAM fixed it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

My PIN is 4826 posted:

They're definitely worth putting up as a spares unit, a quick check on ebay showed people have been selling them at £50-100 recently.

Thanks. I think I'm going to try this.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Astr00 posted:

Hey goons, I could use some advice. I got the basic MacBook Air 13" for Christmas, and although I am in love with the little machine, I am starting to wonder if I would be even more in love with it if it had a retina screen. I am using it for web browsing, Spotify and some programming. I know I don't really need the added processor power of the rMBP 13", but I also know I would really appreciate the screen. I notice how poor the screen on the Air is just by going from my smartphone. Okay, yes, this is probably the best example of a first world problem, but is there anything about the rMBP that is worse than the Air, except the added weight, price and less battery life? I haven't been keeping up, and I'm just wondering if there are any known, major problems with the rMBP? Someone please talk me into or out of this, I can't really decide! :downs:

You sound a lot like me last year. I bought the retina Macbook and it's been worth every penny, especially for coding for long periods as was already mentioned. Also I don't mind the weight much now; my old Air seems TOO light to me now when I pick it up on occasion. I'd say spring for the retina.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I've just made the jump from a low end, 2008 pre-unibody MBP to the full spec 15" rMBP and holy poo poo the difference is like night and day.

Apart from a lovely (~30min) battery and some missing keys on the keyboard, my old mac works fine. Do you think it's better to try to sell the whole unit or strip it down and sell for parts?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Apple wouldn't refresh the Mac Mini's for Haswell / Iris Pro and leave off PCIe flash storage, would they?

I don't see where it would fit, but I figure they're cranking out PCIe SSD's for every other product they make so it'd be worth it to figure out.

I would like it if the next step for Mac mini / iMac would be to have default fusion drives with PCIe flash. The base model can have a very small drive, like 60 GB or so, which is only like $40 more in cost. And then for people who want SSD only, the interfaces are already there.

That's assuming they don't just go SSD only and say that you can use external TB drives if you need space. On the mini, that could enable some even smaller form factors.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
It looks like most of the standard model rmbps are out of stock at online retailers. Is that typical for the holidays or is there a supply chain issue? I'm looking for a 15in 750m standard.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I've just made the jump from a low end, 2008 pre-unibody MBP to the full spec 15" rMBP and holy poo poo the difference is like night and day.

Apart from a lovely (~30min) battery and some missing keys on the keyboard, my old mac works fine. Do you think it's better to try to sell the whole unit or strip it down and sell for parts?

Its always worth more as a whole unit than the parts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bronze posted:

It looks like most of the standard model rmbps are out of stock at online retailers. Is that typical for the holidays or is there a supply chain issue? I'm looking for a 15in 750m standard.

Probably not - the rumor sites would be all over it, expecting a refresh soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've been offered a 24" LED Cinema Display in a trade. I don't particularly need it, but I could use it at work. How does it compare to the 27" LED Cinema Display (pre ThunderBolt :black101:)? Are they known to be reliable or the opposite?