Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

We're supposed to be getting 15/5 so I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
LTE-A in Seoul.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
One of the first posts was "move to the US northwest if you want a good connection." Well, don't move too far north. In Anchorage Alaska I pay $110 a month for 18Mbps/1.5Mbps with a 150,00GB cap that I run over every month. Hooray! That's what you get when you only have one real internet provider in town and they just so happen to be evil. I might talk my neighbor into splitting the fastest plan of 100Mbps/5Mbps with 500GB cap but it's over $200 a month.

Oh, but we're getting "fiber" soon. Uh, 2015. Also no mention of speeds, caps, or pricing yet. But fiber!

gently caress you GCI.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Cincinnati Time Warner Cable - 50/5

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Propaganda Hour posted:

One of the first posts was "move to the US northwest if you want a good connection." Well, don't move too far north. In Anchorage Alaska I pay $110 a month for 18Mbps/1.5Mbps with a 150,00GB cap that I run over every month. Hooray! That's what you get when you only have one real internet provider in town and they just so happen to be evil. I might talk my neighbor into splitting the fastest plan of 100Mbps/5Mbps with 500GB cap but it's over $200 a month.

Oh, but we're getting "fiber" soon. Uh, 2015. Also no mention of speeds, caps, or pricing yet. But fiber!

gently caress you GCI.

Oh come on you live in Alaska.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Propaganda Hour posted:

gently caress you GCI.

That must be a typo.

I've posted in the Canada thread a bit but might as well add to this:
I'm with TekSavvy in Canada
45/4Mbps with unlimited bandwidth at $99 (or $56 for 300GB/m)

I'm very jealous of all you with >10Mbps upload.

Don't let that fool you into thinking we have decent internet up here though. My work has 3 sites, Toronto, Mississauga and one outside a small town.

Small town can get a max of 5/1Mbps Wireless, this is reasonable considering the location, though we usually only average 3Mbps. Sometimes it goes down to 0.50Mbps and recently we had 2 solid days of 0.02Mbps. We were told we could upgrade from 3G to 4G and get 10/1Mbps for the same price, but we'd get a max of 100GB/m and after that the speed would just drop to 0.125Mbps. They came back and offered us another package, same speed/price but this time it was 80GB/m then $5/GB for overages with no ability to purchase bandwidth ahead of time. This is for a business connection too. The home connections had bandwidth ranging from 5GB to 60GB. Our average seems to be around 100GB/m (20GB over would be $100/m ontop of $89 we already pay), so I told the rep to gently caress off until he sent me a real business offer.

Mississauga, in an area with hundreds of businesses gets 5/5Mbps Wireless (with 2%~ packet loss). Only other option is DSL 5/0.8Mbps

Toronto, is DOWNTOWN and they can't get more than 5/1Mbps from anyone.

gently caress Bell and Rogers.

Edit: vvvv Holy crap, I would too.

A c E fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 3, 2014

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I'm not sure if Gigabit Squared has been mentioned in this thread yet or not, but certain areas of Seattle are going to receive some Google-fiber-like services fairly soon. I'm one block and 4 houses (8 houses total) away from the perimeter that's drawn out on Gigabit Squared's coverage map. I wonder what my chances are for actually getting service from them? Maybe I should walk around the neighborhood and try and get people to sign up? I would love to tell Comcast to go eat an AIDS infested sea urchin.

Coverage: http://gigabitseattle.com/areas/

Plan A: 5mb down 1mb up for 60 months for FREE; after 60mo users can choose to switch to $10 per month 10mb/10mb connection.
Plan B: 100mb/100mb for $45
Plan C: 1gb/1gb for EIGHTY DOLLARS PER MONTH.

I honestly will consider moving to get gigabit speeds for $80/mo.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

goobernoodles posted:

I'm not sure if Gigabit Squared has been mentioned in this thread yet or not, but certain areas of Seattle are going to receive some Google-fiber-like services fairly soon. I'm one block and 4 houses (8 houses total) away from the perimeter that's drawn out on Gigabit Squared's coverage map. I wonder what my chances are for actually getting service from them? Maybe I should walk around the neighborhood and try and get people to sign up? I would love to tell Comcast to go eat an AIDS infested sea urchin.

Plan A: 5mb down 1mb up for 60 months for FREE; after 60mo users can choose to switch to $10 per month 10mb/10mb connection.

Ugh I hate you people with your potential to get speeds like that. Granted, I have 50/5 but it costs me $93/month right now with Time Warner. Cincinnati Bell offers fiber in some places, but them getting out here to where I am is laughable at best because they are completely incompetent.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

goobernoodles posted:

No need to go apartment hunting just yet, "fairly soon" has been delayed: http://www.geekwire.com/2013/mcginn-gigabit-squared-delay/

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

tk posted:

No need to go apartment hunting just yet, "fairly soon" has been delayed: http://www.geekwire.com/2013/mcginn-gigabit-squared-delay/
God. Damnit. Way to crush my hopes and dreams. :smithicide:

Hopefully the bullshit about Murray being "Comcast's candidate" is just that.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm pretty sure that nobody stateside has 10gigabit speedtest servers. Also that site's got a slow transit carrier somewhere between them and me. Yep.

Is this some hilariously local urban ISP or something?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

A c E posted:

That must be a typo.

Yeah, sorry, 150,000GB

Bob Morales posted:

Oh come on you live in Alaska.

Yeah, but those undersea cables though http://akorn.alaskacommunications.com/

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

tk posted:

Thanks for killing my dreams. I guess I'll have to pin my hopes on CondoInternet moving into cheaper places. At least I have 105/20 right now.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah, sorry, 150,000GB

You go over 150TB every month?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm happy with mine, could be a bit cheaper but meh. For :canada: it's decent.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Comcast in SC here, pretty happy with it. Better than Cox was in San Diego and Charter/AT&T in TX anyway.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

You go over 150TB every month?

That's a lot of anime torrents.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I'm pretty happy with this overall. We pay for 50/15 through Comcast, so 55/12 is a-ok with me.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

ugh, 150GB. 150,000MB. I am dumb

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

KillHour posted:

Ubiquiti also has a wireless AC access point. 200 bucks, I think?

Yes, and they are awesome. One trick is not a lot of them do 2.4ghz and 5ghz in the same hardware, you need to make sure to pick the right model.

I'm in DC and I get Comcast coming in from the north so I get:

IIRC the internet part of my bill is $75/mo or so.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
FINALLY.

$55/mo :getin:

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 5, 2014

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

gently caress a Comcast.

Morphal
Dec 17, 2002

I got a card in the mail for Google Fiber a few days ago. But for now I have 18/1.5 Mb/s AT&T U-verse, which is a recent upgrade from 6.0/768k AT&T DSL so it feels kind of fast.

A coworker told me there's a restaurant here in Kansas City that offers free internet access to its customers and its ISP is Google Fiber. I wonder if they have an 802.11ac access point (or even Ethernet jacks by the tables, haha). Guess I'll have to check it out sometime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Propaganda Hour posted:

gently caress you GCI.

Heh, I have that 100/5 service now through GCI Business. They even lowered the price to $245/month! Here's hoping they end up bumping the speeds some more once they finish some of the core routing upgrades, and add another 128 colors to the SONET links. At least we're not stuck with just the ACS gen1 DSL as our only internet option.

Having shot the poo poo with the tech who came to replace a damaged drop (business support is pretty awesome), and taking a look at GCI's balance sheets, it looks like they're reinvesting a TON of their money into upgrades and increasing capacity on those big SONET links to WA. They're also redoing a lot of the CMTS and direct buried cables, bringing them up to spec for a pretty beefy DOCSIS 3.0 rollout. By changing how the runs terminate at the CMTS (fiber -> CATV conversion box, looks kinda like a mini-fridge full of line cards), they're able to have 100+ DOCSIS 3.0 channels shared by as few as a dozen homes. At ~42mb/sec per channel, it's pretty easy to support a gigabit to the home link via coax.

The back end switches capable of routing hundreds of gigabit links tends to also get stupidly expensive, which is probably one of the reasons that out of ~183 mil in quarterly earnings, ~3 mil ends up as net after tax revenues.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I find https://speedof.me to be a bit more accurate with speeds I get when I'm actually downloading a lot or trying to upload.

Comcast in VT for reference (gently caress my low upload)

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 8, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm pretty sure that nobody stateside has 10gigabit speedtest servers. Also that site's got a slow transit carrier somewhere between them and me. Yep.

Actually, there are several just here in Utah.

Check the Salt Lake City speedtest servers. I know we have 10gig feeding ours here at UTOPIA, and I think XMission and UEN have 10gig.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Does anyone know if satellite is worth shelling out for?

ful fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 25, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ful posted:

Does anyone know if satellite worth shelling out for?

If you hate low latency it can be nice.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ful posted:

Does anyone know if satellite is worth shelling out for?

No. I've never seen a decent satellite connection - at best same'ish download, maybe better upload, but 200+ms ping.
Satellite is poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My local Starbucks finally got upgraded to Google wifi from the 1.5mb T1 or whatever the gently caress they had from Wayport.

It's not Google fiber or anything, just the local cable company.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Siochain posted:

No. I've never seen a decent satellite connection - at best same'ish download, maybe better upload, but 200+ms ping.
Satellite is poo poo.

Satellite is just massively limited by the physical connection.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So about a week and a half ago we had a big wind storm with 110km/h winds and it damaged something somewhere and apparently my ISP has approximately zero redundancy.

This was the result for at least 7 days. I did the math and taking into account my packet loss I was actually slower than a 56k dialup modem. It was so bad I couldn't actually completely finish a test and I had to take a screenshot.

I did however manage to complete a pingtest though.

quote:

Hi Brandon;

The AP on the tower that you connect to was quite busy at the time. On the tower we have multiple access points, which helps to split the load up, but it the distribution of subscribers connecting to the APs was more uneven than normal, and lead to a tighter crunch on the same AP that you connect to. I made an adjustment to even it out, which should really help for those peak load times.

After bothering customer support long enough they gave me this wonderful response. Apparently, instead of having redundancy of any sort whatsoever, what they did was instead load up ~500 people to a single 20mbps gateway and expected everything to go just fine.

http://mcsnet.ca/repairs.php

What a joke.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

$62.99/month for this, according to my ISP this is a 25/5 connection so I am happy. I could upgrade to 50/10 for $75, or 150/20 for $100 but I value my money more than my e-penis, the smut can wait.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Just upgraded to a business class line with Comcast. Why? Because there are no limits and I get preferential treatment in regards to service. Wouldn't you know it, YouTube and Netflix just flat out flies now as opposed to my former residential "Blast" internet!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I used to get 100 up 100 down in s. korea for $15 a month :v: in reality, I would see ~85 for each, upload usually higher. The best part was it was the only internet option for the whole building

Then back in the states. Ohh boy. I think I'm at 50/10 now, I can't remember the upload. It's the fastest I have available via Time Warner at over 3x the cost, promotional price.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

KakerMix posted:

Just upgraded to a business class line with Comcast. Why? Because there are no limits and I get preferential treatment in regards to service. Wouldn't you know it, YouTube and Netflix just flat out flies now as opposed to my former residential "Blast" internet!

What do you pay for business class internet? Obviously it won't be the same as my area, but I'm curious.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Are you at a residential address? I've wanted to do this but never called them. Their flyer says it cannot be at a residential address and signing up also asks for a business name.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

z06ck posted:

Are you at a residential address? I've wanted to do this but never called them. Their flyer says it cannot be at a residential address and signing up also asks for a business name.
If you call them and register for a "business-class" connection (really just residential with a SLA) you can put your own name in the business name field and they do not care. They might ask you why you want it for a residential line but you can say you 'work from home' or need to do large uploads and they'll clear it. I did this when I moved into my current apartment awhile back. Pricing is higher but they won't gently caress with your connection and the support is much better than the residential lines.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MF_James posted:

What do you pay for business class internet? Obviously it won't be the same as my area, but I'm curious.
I am at a residential address.
We're locked in at 139 a month. Considering how important internet is to my actual home-based business and wife's other home based business it's an easy cost we'd gladly pay. They didn't ask nor raise an eyebrow about it going to a home address, although like I said I have a legitimate business if they did care to check (which they don't).

If you can afford it I'd suggest it, it's a lot more useful in day-to-day stuff than I anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm considering a business class connection because I'm just sick of bandwidth caps. I'd sacrifice speed for that :( I'd also like to play with servers and such so it seems like it would be a better idea.

• Locked thread