Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think people are way too hard on season 4 but gently caress is it not a noticeable improvement to have Harmon back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
We... we might just get six seasons :stare:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think people are way too hard on season 4 but gently caress is it not a noticeable improvement to have Harmon back.

I found S4 pleasant, but forgettable. This has momentum.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

That was fantastically awkward

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Chair Troy single tear.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Holy gently caress

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
Why do you think Aliens in America got cancelled?

Side note: I could've sworn that the guys who ran last season were from Happy Endings.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

404GoonNotFound posted:

And then......

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

Kloaked00 posted:

And then......

A seventh?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I'm going to miss Donald Glover when he's out in a few episodes but man. MAN. Man.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
That slow tear on Troy's face. :allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kloaked00 posted:

And then......

Don't say movie don't say movie don't say movie

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
gently caress, "Sean Saves the World" is such a letdown after a half-hour of highs.

Edit: AND NOT ALL GAY MEN ARE ALL FLOOPY...i'm guessing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

#sevenseasonsandasatisfyingending

It worked for 30 Rock!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

absolutely anything posted:

I'm going to miss Donald Glover when he's out in a few episodes but man. MAN. Man.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about this. :sigh: His absence is going to be noticeable, for sure.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Really strong start. Shirley has been amazing in both episodes so far. I just want more Shirley and less ragging on Britta (and less dumb Britta, but the correlation there definitely needs to be taken down a notch).

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm in awe as to how much I love the show again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I know I'll be torn apart in this thread for voicing this opinion, but . . .

Holy crap, those were awful. Really awful. I didn't even smile once.

I mean, did Troy suffer brain damage? Or has he always been that stupid? "You faked a robot fight?"

It looks like they had one chance to redeem Pierce, but they threw it away for "Is that gay" joke?

The Nic Cage class felt like a plot straight out of season 4. And then they referenced the far more successful "Who's the Boss?" class, reminding you that they've done this before, and better. It should have been a throw away joke, not a plotline.

And ending the first episode on a fart joke? I though Harmon would be better than that.

Well, at least Parks and Rec is back next week.

And seriously, what was up with McHale's face? Did he get work done? It looks like someone to a smoothing tool to the footage.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Really really good first episode, not super crazy about the second. They made a point of calling out the cartoonishness in the first episode then have a crazy riot in the second? Eh it was still really funny.

Funny hologram callback with pierce! Remember when he was on his deathbed in season 2, and he said he thought that when he spoke to Jeff for the last time he would be a hologram?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Davros1 posted:

I know I'll be torn apart in this thread for voicing this opinion, but . . .

You're allowed to be wrong. Hell, even encouraged. It's the internet.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

The Dark One posted:

I am SO glad none of the reviewers spoiled the Chevy hologram.

I was incredibly surprised about that too.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Dan Harmon saved Community.

Let's not jump to conclusions, but yes, probably.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

#EightSeasonsAndThenAForgettableKerryBisheOne

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Let's not jump to conclusions, but yes, probably.

He also was at fault for it's destruction so he's batting .500.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Holy poo poo Troy and Abed's anti-shenanigan

Also the model U.N. Doomsday Clock in the first episode set to Doomsday o'Clock :v:. So many awesome old props re-used.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Can't wait for the ratings to come in only to find out we got like a 0.8.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's on NBC to still be horrible at programming, fingers crossed.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

MrAristocrates posted:

Can't wait for the ratings to come in only to find out we got like a 0.8.

To be fair, that's not bad for NBC.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

That's on NBC to still be horrible at programming, fingers crossed.

Well, Sean Saves the World is still on, so there's that.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Solid all the way through. No glaring production quality drops. Good characterization.

I'm excited.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
That was kind of incredible television.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Drunk Canuck posted:

He also was at fault for it's destruction so he's batting .500.

I was going to challenge you but let's be honest, you're right. He only survived as long as he did because he's on NBC. But, sane or not, a show this brilliant doesn't usually get ratings.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
It's honestly quite stunning how night and day that was. I still enjoyed Season 4, for the most part, but watching this drove home immediately just what was missing. I still can't articulate what, exactly, Harmon-ness is, but holy crap did both of those episodes have it.

I'll admit, I didn't like how far Jeff swung back on the Dick Ladder during Repilot, since I felt like it wrecked a whole lot of progression for the character for no good reason, but the comedy was spot on and... god dammit, guys, Community is back, against all odds.

fballnlife91
Nov 22, 2010
I really enjoyed these two episodes. I now feel safe in thinking that future episodes of community are gonna be just fine. First episode took a little while to get going but that's ok because they had to develop the plot. I didn't really care so much either way for Chevy's appearance, but it was a good way to send off his character. The second episode was absolutely fantastic. In the season 1 commentary, Harmon said how rare and wonderful it is when they get jokes off of punchlines, and I felt like they had a few of those in the second episode.

I'm only upset that there is only going to be 11 more episodes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I'm curious how the hell you get Chevy Chase to show back up after how acrimonious his departure was last season.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Mo0 posted:

It's honestly quite stunning how night and day that was. I still enjoyed Season 4, for the most part, but watching this drove home immediately just what was missing. I still can't articulate what, exactly, Harmon-ness is, but holy crap did both of those episodes have it.

I'll admit, I didn't like how far Jeff swung back on the Dick Ladder during Repilot, since I felt like it wrecked a whole lot of progression for the character for no good reason, but the comedy was spot on and... god dammit, guys, Community is back, against all odds.

The new AV Club review aptly sums it up.

http://www.avclub.com/review/repilotintroduction-to-teaching-106548

quote:

The problem with the fourth season was that it tried too hard to assure me I was having a good time—and in the process of doing so, it kept taking me out of the show. A good sitcom depends on trust and anticipation—on getting the audience excited about what’s coming and letting it know that it’s going to have fun. The fourth season of the show kept trying to insist that it was the same old show, full of the same old fun, and that meant that it never relaxed enough to just have a good time. It came off like a group of really good musicians hamstrung by trying to play cover versions of other people’s songs. This is all a really long, pointless way of saying that “Repilot” and “Introduction To Teaching” work because of blah, blah, blah pointless philosophical musings, but also because they don’t try too hard. Even in their worst moments, they just effortlessly are, and that’s a relief.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, that really does sum it up nicely. Season 4's problem really did boil down to it spending way too much time going "Hey y'all it's still Community! You know, that show with <old episode reference>? Yep we still have that! Would you like more of it?! We can do that!"

This one is actually trying something new, and it works immediately.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Mo0 posted:

I'm curious how the hell you get Chevy Chase to show back up after how acrimonious his departure was last season.

Harmon has said that despite the nasty behavior between him and Chevy during the course of the show, there aren't really any hard feelings between them. I wouldn't be shocked if Harmon talked him into doing it as a sendoff for the character. Plus the nature of the cameo means that they literally could've sent a crew to Chevy's house to shoot it if they had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Boxman posted:

Those are actually law textbooks.

High production values. :v:

Old versions can be had for a penny. They like to change two or three cases around and republish it. It's the second biggest scam in education.

Also, this is once more my favorite show on tv.

• Locked thread