Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm curious as to what makes you think there are no Mexicans in Scotland.

There may be one or two in the court but not enough to have a us sitcom style day of the dead/'look-how-racially-tolerant-we-are' chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Rumda posted:

There may be one or two in the court but not enough to have a us sitcom style day of the dead/'look-how-racially-tolerant-we-are' chapter.

Any attempt to show something from another culture: An insincere attempt at showing you are racially tolerant while not actually meaning it.

As for me, I can't wait to see what kind of crazy-rear end Mictlan poo poo we run into here. Xolotl would be pretty cool, as another dog-god. (He's associated with the Mexican Hairless Dog.)

Not to mention, you know. Our Coyote is at least part Huehuecoyotl. There's a whole lot of Coyote out there.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

It's more likely that we'll just end up learning more about the Psycopomps, like where they take people when they die.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Devil Ed posted:

It's more likely that we'll just end up learning more about the Psycopomps, like where they take people when they die.
They could also be gathering intel on Jeanne. I think Muut mentioned that they 'could not reach her'. I figure that means that whoever was meant to guide her took one look at her death and went, "Whoa, this one died rrrrreal angry. Not touchin' that until she cools off." and then later, "Oh, she's a revenant now. Great. gently caress this, I'm taking an early lunch."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rumda posted:

Coyote is a figure that originates from Native American myth. Now he's in the British Isles. Anything can happen.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

JT Jag posted:

Coyote is a figure that originates from Native American myth. Now he's in the British Isles. Anything can happen.

Yeah but people are saying that just because the skull imagery looks slightly Mexican that means the massive Latin American population of the court is going to come out of the woodwork. Newsflash not every country has the same racial mix as the us

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Rumda posted:

Yeah but people are saying that just because the skull imagery looks slightly Mexican that means the massive Latin American population of the court is going to come out of the woodwork. Newsflash not every country has the same racial mix as the us

For real. Whites only comix.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Andrevian posted:

For real. Whites only comix.

How the hell did you get that from what I was saying? Since when is saying there ate significantly fewer Mexicans in the UK than in the US racist.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 2, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rumda posted:

No one is saying this. Somebody suggests a Latin American student might play a part (read: Paz), and some expectations of possibly Native/South American psychopomps showing up.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Captain Oblivious posted:

No one is saying this. Somebody suggests a Latin American student might play a part (read: Paz), and some expectations of possibly Native/South American psychopomps showing up.

Yeah that's what I'm saying Paz is a galago from SPAIN she isn't Latin American or Hispanic

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Paz is from Spain Spain

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rumda posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying Paz is a galago from SPAIN she isn't Latin American or Hispanic

I didn't say it was right, people do indeed forget Spain exists a lot :v:. I'm saying that acting like there's some upsurge of WE DEMAND LATIN AMERICAN CULTURAL TOLERANCE HOUR is exaggerated and well

Not a thing that's happening. Chillax.

Personally I am expecting some Native American flavored psychopomps and nothing more.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
All I was saying is a saw a lot of mostly Americans trying to force there cultural viewpoints on a British setting. Like me saying in an american show its 3 pm every character should sit down for tea and crumpets

Rumda fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 2, 2014

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Rumda posted:

All I was saying is a saw a lot of mostly Americans trying to force there cultural viewpoints on a British setting. Like me saying in an american show its 3 pm every character should sit down for tea and crumpets

What my comment meant was, your comment is dumber than any of those. And there are significantly fewer of those than yours.

Also, goddamn you people, Spain is in Europe. gently caress's sake.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rumda posted:

I bet you're totally not racist at all, are you. You've even got a black friend, I imagine.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Maybe unlike some other countries, they actually managed to build the danged fence. :colbert:

Wow, holy poo poo.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Friday can't come soon enough. :cripes:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Honestly it's just a cartoon skull/zombie, it doesn't really look that much like a calaca.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the hell have you guys done in here?! :gonk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

I bet you're totally not racist at all, are you. You've even got a black friend, I imagine.

Wow, holy poo poo.

So let me tell you about southern racists in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona and parodying them...

dyzzy posted:

Friday can't come soon enough. :cripes:

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I found it. The greatest Gunnerkrigg Court fanart.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I think the real question is who punched that skeleton, and how do you even get a black eye without skin?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found a thing, click for huge

Source

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

I think the real question is who punched that skeleton, and how do you even get a black eye without skin?

It looks more like the skeleton is wasted. Mort's going to go to a wild party in the realm of the dead.

\/ Just what I was thinking.

Jhordhynne fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 2, 2014

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Jhordhynne posted:

It looks more like the skeleton is wasted. Mort's going to go to a wild party in the realm of the dead.

It's not often I can actually post an edit from the political cartoons topic that's relevant to this one, so with great relish I propose instead it's time for a;

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Swedish Horror posted:

I found it. The greatest Gunnerkrigg Court fanart.

Aw crap, why is it so small, it will come up all pixelated in print :sigh:
Because I want this on my wall.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kikas posted:

Aw crap, why is it so small, it will come up all pixelated in print :sigh:
Because I want this on my wall.

Here you go.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
-2 points for "Katerina Donovan".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

Wow, holy poo poo.

The irony is, it's nearly true!

Except the fence was built by the English to keep the Scots out.

And by English I mean Romans.

Hadrian's Wall, yo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Another angle that I don't think has been really touched on: How is the Court itself going to react when the Great Leap Forward begins? The Court strikes me as reactionary and interested in control above all else, and I for one fully expect them to take steps that incite robo-rage.

The Court is interested in mankind attaining godhood. Why should the Court oppose it? Kat is making some of the biggest steps in attaining the Court's overall objective in generations, and giving promising talents the resources and the opportunity to develop them is the whole reason for the children to be there. The Court might step in if things go too far, but having a second, more reasonable Diego on the roster, as the child of Court staff, is awesome for them. The Court is more likely to err on the side of not intervening than the opposite.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 2, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Got this in the mail today, looks alright.

I need to shave.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Brightman posted:

Got this in the mail today, looks alright.

I need to shave.

Still waiting on mine. It looks awesome in that light; better than the example pic. The image on TopatoCo doesn't have nearly as much contrast.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Does Tom get money if I order straight from Archaia Entertainment instead of TopatoCo? TopatoCo doesn't have volume four in stock, and also volume one is gone forever I guess? I saw a leather-bound volume one for $50 on Archaia and that was it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I predict the lapel pin will be mistaken for pilot wings a lot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

The Court is interested in mankind attaining godhood. Why should the Court oppose it? Kat is making some of the biggest steps in attaining the Court's overall objective in generations, and giving promising talents the resources and the opportunity to develop them is the whole reason for the children to be there. The Court might step in if things go too far, but having a second, more reasonable Diego on the roster, as the child of Court staff, is awesome for them. The Court is more likely to err on the side of not intervening than the opposite.

I'm unclear on why you think Kats work furthers the goals of the Court in any way. I am inclindd to suspect bio organic robots have absolutely nothing to do with their seemingly more ether conttolling approach. By all appearances they want the ether to obey them utterly and completely.

Robot transcendence is a potentially uncontrollable variable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I dunno, my impression of the court is that they have a 'yay, mad science!' approach to general technological advancement.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Well, you know what Paz said. Es not a big monster that does what it wants. Es a group of people doing what they think is best.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Swedish Horror posted:

Does Tom get money if I order straight from Archaia Entertainment instead of TopatoCo?

Tom has said in the past that he only gets book sale money from TopatoCo. Buying from Archaia or elsewhere won't make you the devil, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Why doesn't he get money from other places.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

Why doesn't he get money from other places.

He gets like half a farthing or whatever because of margins and store cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Saoshyant posted:

Tom has said in the past that he only gets book sale money from TopatoCo. Buying from Archaia or elsewhere won't make you the devil, though.

I would think buying direct from publisher would allow him a bigger piece of the pie. I mean, wouldn't the Topatoco copies have both the publisher's cut and Topatoco's cut?

I admit that I don't know how this works.