Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Fozzy The Bear posted:

the group taking the steroids gained muscle

YOU DON"T SAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Random question, I made a bet with my friend that steroids help you if you train or not. I remember reading here on PSP about 4-6 months ago about this study that a group doing no exercise gained 7 pounds of muscle vs the control group. I've googled my hardest, but I can't find that study anymore. Anyone have a link?

I specifically remember someone making a joke that the steroid would be perfect for Rampage Jackson.

I had it before and couldn't find it, but I just put "steroid study" into google and it popped up first result.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/steroids-vs-natural/

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

MagicCube posted:

I had it before and couldn't find it, but I just put "steroid study" into google and it popped up first result.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/steroids-vs-natural/

I bow to your K-1 level googling.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When did GSP stop break-dancing?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LordPants posted:

After breakdancing on top of Nick Diaz for 25 minutes, GSP felt that he had done all that he could do with the art form and packed it in.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

LordPants posted:

He only does that after a finish. :(

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Do you guys think size is correlated with chin strength? That is, heavyweights can take more of a punch. I think they probably can, but chin strength doesn't increase with size as much as punching power does so thats why you see more knockouts in the heavier divisions.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Do you guys think size is correlated with chin strength? That is, heavyweights can take more of a punch. I think they probably can, but chin strength doesn't increase with size as much as punching power does so thats why you see more knockouts in the heavier divisions.

Brock Lesnar's reaction to being hit in the face ruins your theory.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess

Smegmatron posted:

Brock Lesnar's reaction to being hit in the face ruins your theory.

Not to digress too far from the original question and make this a Brock discussion, but the concept of good or bad chin refers to your brain's physical reaction to being punched in the face, not your mental reactions. Having a bad chin equals to having a brain that shuts off easily due to trauma. Having a bad chin does not equal to panicking easily.

Brock fought guys like Shane Carwin and Overeem without ever being knocked unconscious, so even if he may have reacted poorly to being punched, his chin held up pretty good. His gut, on the other hand...

ed: To contribute, don't neck muscles add to having a good chin? That might add to the argument that heavyweights have better chins.

gunblade fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 2, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I'm pretty sure nobody has definitive proof over what gives someone a good vs bad chin.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

There are more finishes at heavyweight than any other division (flyweight might give them a run for their money last year) so I'm guessing the answer is no. Obviously the main reasons for increased finishes are the skill and size disparities at heavyweight, but I imagine if there was a relative increase in your chin hit points it would mitigate that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There's way too many variables involved too - Shogun hit Machida with the exact same punch in both fights, but only in the 2nd fight did Machida get KO'd.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

the idea of "chin" is less important than the idea of "not getting hit directly in the chin"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
like can andrei arolvski take a punch? yes. he can take a punch directly onto the chin in every fight because his arms are always straight out and his eyes are always closed.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody has definitive proof over what gives someone a good vs bad chin.

The only factor that seems to consistently correlate with chin is a good gas tank. A lot of guys with notable cardio like Condit, Nate/Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Frankie Edgar, and Clay Guida are also notably difficult to stop. It's not so much that they're more resistant to getting hurt, but that they seem more able to survive and recover quickly.

That being said, BJ Penn has never even been knocked down, and Hendo is notoriously difficult to stop as well.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

The only factor that seems to consistently correlate with chin is a good gas tank. A lot of guys with notable cardio like Condit, Nate/Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Frankie Edgar, and Clay Guida are also notably difficult to stop. It's not so much that they're more resistant to getting hurt, but that they seem more able to survive and recover quickly.

That being said, BJ Penn has never even been knocked down, and Hendo is notoriously difficult to stop as well.

Nah its not good cardio that gives you a good chin. Theres traditionally a difference between chin and recovery/toughness whatever you want to call that intangible. Lots of guys with middling to awful cardio like Hunt, roy nelson, back to "cabbage" correira all have some of the best chins. not to mention all the guys in boxing who defy that

Nobody really knows what makes someone have a good chin. Being younger means your chin is better, the less times youve been knocked out the better, the less weight you cut and better hydrated you are (the cushioning in between your skull and brain) are all really strong factors. Other factors like race and body type play into it, fat guys tend to have better chins. The size and structure of your head makes a difference according to boxing lore.

Heavyweights probably have stronger chins on average but like the original question assumed, it doesnt scale completely to punching power. It would be hard for a 135er to knock out most heavyweights. But the other thing is how good your defense is and how well you roll with punches and dont put yourself in bad spots. Lots of guys with legendary chins like Hunt are just really good at absorbing shots well and can be cracked (like in the manhoef fight) by accidentally running into a hard shot right on the chin. Nobodys chin is that great in the end

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im now a licensed mma/boxing judge in the grand state of mississippi, how do i be better than adalaide byrd?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

John Cena posted:

im now a licensed mma/boxing judge in the grand state of mississippi, how do i be better than adalaide byrd?

this is for real btw.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
1) LASIK

2) (seriously there are a lot of judging seminars from serious dudes like Herb Dean, take one of those, and pay attention)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

John Cena posted:

Give out 10-8s and 10-10s when appropriate.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

John Cena posted:

Watch a lot of fights would be my suggestion. Also get a cursory knowledge of bjj if you don't already.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

gunblade posted:

Not to digress too far from the original question and make this a Brock discussion, but the concept of good or bad chin refers to your brain's physical reaction to being punched in the face, not your mental reactions. Having a bad chin equals to having a brain that shuts off easily due to trauma. Having a bad chin does not equal to panicking easily.

Brock fought guys like Shane Carwin and Overeem without ever being knocked unconscious, so even if he may have reacted poorly to being punched, his chin held up pretty good. His gut, on the other hand...

ed: To contribute, don't neck muscles add to having a good chin? That might add to the argument that heavyweights have better chins.

I have heard of the neck muscle theory as well, as the Klitschko's swear by it and train their necks religiously. Supposedly a strong neck is better at resisting the twisting force of a received punch and reduces the brain-rattling effect. There's also a belief that the nerve behind the jaw known as "The Button" can be better protected by having thick neck muscles.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Watch a lot of fights would be my suggestion. Also get a cursory knowledge of bjj if you don't already.

i have limited jits knowledge, where can i expand it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

How limited are we talking, as in you know the difference between guard, half guard, side control, full mount, back mount etc, or do you understand what it looks like when someone on top is scrambling on the defensive because someone on the bottom is attacking effectively?

The latter can become important in a lot of fights because there's been a lot of bad decisions where someone's getting tagged on the feet and stall in their opponents guard for the majority of the round defending and escaping submission attempts but only holding the position where you could argue the fighter on the bottom actually dominated the rounds grappling but it goes to the guy in top position.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i know the positionings and what the purpose of each one is, and i have a general strong understanding of the ground game, ie what techniques are used from an offensive standpoint and defensive. i have the basics understood, but if theres more that i should know about i'd be happy to know as much as possible

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

John Cena posted:

i know the positionings and what the purpose of each one is, and i have a general strong understanding of the ground game, ie what techniques are used from an offensive standpoint and defensive. i have the basics understood, but if theres more that i should know about i'd be happy to know as much as possible

Just do jiu-jitsu, it's fun.

red19fire posted:

I have heard of the neck muscle theory as well, as the Klitschko's swear by it and train their necks religiously. Supposedly a strong neck is better at resisting the twisting force of a received punch and reduces the brain-rattling effect. There's also a belief that the nerve behind the jaw known as "The Button" can be better protected by having thick neck muscles.

This is ironic considering the Klitchko's have a reputation of having weak chins.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

John Cena posted:

Like Dangersim said, if you do BJJ you'll gain a much greater appreciation for the nuances even if you don't train all the time. It's hard to describe how someone with a good top game can be really stifling until you've experienced it yourself.

Also, you should start a thread (unless there's an MMA judging thread already?) and then post your scorecards plus your justifications for the rounds. You likely won't be judging any big time fights but many fights are available on AXS or even Youtube these days so we can kind of grade you on your performance :v:

1st AD fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 3, 2014

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i don't really have the money to take BJJ, but if i do wind up getting to judge some fights, i'll be sure to promote the shows in the b-league thread.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

John Cena posted:

this is for real btw.

How did you manage this?

I'll second that BJJ is really cool. Even if you have no interest in fighting or exercise, it's a chill and fun thing to do.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i applied and paid for the license this morning, got an email later in the day saying that i've been approved and will be receiving my notarized license in the mail.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

John Cena posted:

i have limited jits knowledge
Sounds like you're already far far ahead of her then.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

John Cena posted:

i applied and paid for the license this morning, got an email later in the day saying that i've been approved and will be receiving my notarized license in the mail.

That's all? poo poo.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

John Cena posted:

Wow, sounds like they really put you through the wringer

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well it IS Mississippi.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Question 1: Do y'all feel like ya know a lot about wrasslin'?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i have been banned for life from the team takedown forums so i consider myself something of an expert

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

John Cena posted:

i don't really have the money to take BJJ, but if i do wind up getting to judge some fights, i'll be sure to promote the shows in the b-league thread.

At least now you can make the cost of BJJ lessons a business expense/tax write off.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So the UFC thread rejoiced over the news of Keith Kizer resigning from the NSAC.

Why do goons hate him?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Forceholy posted:

So the UFC thread rejoiced over the news of Keith Kizer resigning from the NSAC.

Why do goons hate him?

As far as I know, he doesn't like John McCarthy, won't allow TRT exemptions to fighters and weird views on judging.

edit: As for the judges, he is on record saying that he had Pac ahead against Bradley, and had Phan-Garcia 3-0 still defended the judges as being right in both cases.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
His response to repeated terrible officiating, especially boxing judging, was basically "eh, whatddya gonna do?"